Breaking Bad

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by A_B »

As read by Heisenberg:

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Hey, we saw Watchmen. Or read the comic book.

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think I read that poem like half a dozen times and still couldn't process it because my reading comprehension sucks sometimes.

But him reciting it in that manner with that background noise, it makes perfect sense.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm sure the last couple episodes will be awesome, but it's hard not to think that Sunday night's was in some ways the real series finale and the last couple episodes essentially an epilogue of sorts. In this past episode, the walls came crashing down for EVERYONE. No one was spared (well, excepting I suppose the Nazis and their $68 million). And in the very end, it's hard to imagine that things will work out very well for them either.

I was thinking that because if that had been the final episode. If the final shot we ever saw was Walt getting in the minivan and driving off (assuming that Gilligan hadn't teased the fact that we know where he's going to be in a few months) with the stray dog crossing the road metaphorically describing Walt's fate, I probably would have been OK with that. Because Walt DIDN'T get away with it. He lost everything except some of his money which was never really for him in the first place.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Though something I'm fascinated to learn is what happened in six months to result in the essential destruction of the White home. I suspect the DEA and various federal agencies probably seized the car wash despite Walt's phone call trying to exonerate Skyler. Presumably her and Walt's children are worse off after everything than even before his cancer even if she avoided jail.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Juxtaposition:

And humor:
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

testy boxcar wrote:METH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good comments on that article. Lots of Fritz sensibility.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

testy boxcar wrote:METH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chick sounds like a skank.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Lovely open trachea, sir.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The parents are in ABQ currently and ate at Gardunos last night (did not get the table-side guac). My mom's going to go take a pic at Osuna and Juan Tabo for me. They don't watch the show, but we've been frequent visitors of the city for my entire life (parents actually lived there a few years in the late 90s) and I totally recognized that intersection where Jessie "got it".
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

She said that on the day of the shooting, she and Ealey had used methamphetamine after attending church.
Meth is my favorite post-church activity, too!
mini puke to 1,558
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote:The parents are in ABQ currently and ate at Gardunos last night (did not get the table-side guac). My mom's going to go take a pic at Osuna and Juan Tabo for me. They don't watch the show, but we've been frequent visitors of the city for my entire life (parents actually lived there a few years in the late 90s) and I totally recognized that intersection where Jessie "got it".
Great time of year to go to ABQ. Hatch chiles are in season.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote:
Giff wrote:The parents are in ABQ currently and ate at Gardunos last night (did not get the table-side guac). My mom's going to go take a pic at Osuna and Juan Tabo for me. They don't watch the show, but we've been frequent visitors of the city for my entire life (parents actually lived there a few years in the late 90s) and I totally recognized that intersection where Jessie "got it".
Great time of year to go to ABQ. Hatch chiles are in season.
Yessir!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow, there's some great stuff starting out at $10-25. I'm guessing all of it goes for much more than that.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Not many purple items. I saw one, Marie's coffee mug. I am tempted, but I think I will settle for this piece of memorabilia from the show:

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

After watching the last two episodes of Breaking Bad, it was hard not to feel awful for Jesse. He's always seemed like the most moral person on the show (other than maybe Flynn). It was bad enough seeing him lose out even after finally outsmarting Walt, but then to go off and be tortured and made a slave at the peril of his girlfriend? And hearing Walt tell him that he had watched Jane die? Awful.

But yet, I watched a couple of older episodes the other night and remembered that Jesse is actually to blame for a lot of the trouble they are in. I had forgotten this part. After Walt maneuvered to get Jesse into the superlab (because he was afraid Jesse would turn them all in), things were going great. They had easy working conditions, almost no danger, and a guaranteed $1.5M for only 3 months of work. Even more, Gus had just offered Walt to up it to a one-year deal for $15M (half to Jesse), with automatic carrying over to subsequent years. It really doesn't get any sweeter than that.

But that wasn't good enough for Jesse. He calculated that Gus would make $96M off the meth they cooked in those three months and Jesse thought that was monumentally unfair. He completely ignored the huge cost Gus had put into building that superlab, hiding it in the laundry, building a massive distribution system, obtaining all of the ingredients, laundering the money through Los Pollos Hermanos, etc. It was a huge enterprise, meaning not only was Gus netting far less than $96M, but he had removed a LOT of the risk. Jesse and Walt could have lived like kings.

But Jesse was an idiot and had to fuck it all up by stealing small amounts of the blue meth and selling it through Badger and Skinny Pete. He threw away millions to make a few extra thousands. As we know, that betrayal cost them what little of Gus's trust they had earned, and it all went downhill from there.

So yeah, I feel a lot less for Jesse now.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Interesting episode. Not really what I expected. I guess with only one more left, I expected a clearer path to the end, but nope. There are still a lot of unknowns.

Although I guess we know he can't be staying in that house much longer. No longer? I mean how far could he have gone from that bar? It won't take the fuzz long to figure out where he's been staying. A does he go with only the $100k? Surely he doesn't have time to go back and get or hide the rest of his money. Granted, bribe money probably goes a little further in rural New Hampshire, so maybe his $100k will suffice, although it has to hurt to lose that $10mm.

Damn, Andrea. They didn't have to do that to us, did they? Just awful. I guess that helps set up whatever awfulness is to come next week.

A thought I just had - they really don't have much or any real evidence against Walt and Jesse at this point, right? The nazis got the only video, so all they have is Marie's testimony to what she saw plus whatever they can get out of Skyker, which probably isn't much. So ... Any chance Walt can somehow pin the whole empire on Lydia and friendz? Her Madrigal connection ties her directly to Gus, something they can't do with Walt. I guess that would be too cute, but it would be fun.
Totally Kafkaesque
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

I couldn't help but think for a second, maybe two seconds, that the M60 and the Ricin are for that nice Schwartz couple. Walt goes to the ceremony for their big donation and just opens up or maybe he just finds a way to poison them both. I'm sure that won't happen, but what if the last we've seen of Jesse is him writhing in that backseat?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Weatherfrog wrote:I couldn't help but think for a second, maybe two seconds, that the M60 and the Ricin are for that nice Schwartz couple. Walt goes to the ceremony for their big donation and just opens up or maybe he just finds a way to poison them both. I'm sure that won't happen, but what if the last we've seen of Jesse is him writhing in that backseat?
Jeez, that's a bit dark, even for BB.

That was an interesting scene with the Schwarzes on Charlie Rose. It rekindled the ego in Walt. They belittled both Walter White and Heisenberg. Fire started. And didn't they, or Charlie probably, also mention that the blue meth was still out there? I don't know if that keyed Walt in that Jesse was still alive, but it certainly made him realize that the nazis were stealing his legacy. Walt would much prefer the blue meth to die with him.

BTW, Todd's character is one of the creepiest characters I think I've ever seen in film or movies. Holy crap - his three scenes with the three different women were all incredibly terrifying and compelling.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Dead-eyed Opie.

At this point, I'm seriously wondering if Gilligan is fucking with us and has 2-3 more episodes lined up and not one like we were told.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

AB_skin_test wrote:Dead-eyed Opie.

At this point, I'm seriously wondering if Gilligan is fucking with us and has 2-3 more episodes lined up and not one like we were told.
It does seem like there's an awful lot to resolve. It's gonna be one hell of an episode.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

AB_skin_test wrote:Dead-eyed Opie.
Dead Eyed Todd and the Monsters
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Although I guess we know he can't be staying in that house much longer. No longer? I mean how far could he have gone from that bar? It won't take the fuzz long to figure out where he's been staying. A does he go with only the $100k? Surely he doesn't have time to go back and get or hide the rest of his money. Granted, bribe money probably goes a little further in rural New Hampshire, so maybe his $100k will suffice, although it has to hurt to lose that $10mm.
I think that Walt is pretty certain that he's getting the other $70mm back.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Everything I watched of Jesse in that episode triggered stuff that I learned in Evasion & Conduct After Capture prior to my deployment to Iraq. I was up in Washington at Fairchild AFB when I learned stuff. As soon as I saw he was looking at that picture I said "HOLY SHIT PAPER CLIP. USE THAT MOTHERFUCKER." Then boom.

But the way he took the cuffs off wasn't how I was taught. There's a simpler way to remove the cuffs then what he did, honestly. Regardless, I'm splitting hairs on that. I can give Gilligan a pass because what I learned is technically classified regardless of the fact you can probably find what I am talking about on the interwebs.

But man...him getting caught was torture. And then seeing Andrea get got was over the top.

Now, Walt's little escapade in New Hampshire is obviously coming to an end. He'll return to the ABQ, get the ricin, get the M60, and then clean house. But I get the feeling it will be at the expense of everything else he has left. So there has to be a twist of some sort to tie it all up and then curtains and a Standing O for Breaking Bad.

Oh, and Flynn's principal. DAT ASS. I need to make a gif of her walking away.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Like two kittens fighting under a blanket.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The "wire" in Walt's shirt from all the internet theories has to be the ring on the twine, no?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Cover of the New Yorker.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

mini puke to 1,558
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I just saw the final scene again on YouTube. I don't think I picked up on all of it when I watched it live.

Remember, at this point, Walter has just given up. He's quit. He called his son, offering to help and Flynn refused it, yelling at him that he should be dead. That was the last straw for Walt, so he called the DEA and led them to him.

So, in the interview, you have the obvious dismissal of Walt's contributions to Gray Matter. Clearly that's a sore spot for him, so this pisses him off (although it can't completely surprise him). Then, I think the key part comes next when they discuss the blue meth. Charlie Rose says it's still out there and asks if Walter White is still out there.

Gretchen says no. Here they, not only take away his credit for Gray Matter, but they are saying that even the blue meth can go on without him. He, Heisenberg, is superfluous and unimportant.

Another key point is that Charlie says the blue meth has been turning up in Europe, telling Walt that Lydia is still involved with Todd and somehow Todd has figured out how to make it right (remember, Dead Eyed Todd and the Monsters had previously told Walt they couldn't cook it right and needed his help).

So people are still out there making millions off of his work (legal and illegal) and now they are writing him out of both pictures.

As he realizes this, the Breaking Bad theme music comes in. The show is NOT over yet. It's time for Heisenberg again.

That's just awesome. When I watched live, i just kind of thought of the music as signifying the end of the episode - tonight's time is up. I missed the greater significance. I love that you can watch this show multiple times and still pick up clever subtleties (like the NYT piece being written Andrew Sorkin and the ice cream being Colbert's Americone Dream - on the night when Breaking Bad aired opposite the Emmies).
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My prediction for the finale? The M-60 is for the Nazi's, and the ricin is for Gretchen and Elliot.

It was damn cool that Robert Forster showed up as the "Vacuum Repair Guy". And nice that they managed to keep that casting under wraps.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

No credibility in that last scene. Charlie Rose don't ask tough questions like that.

Feckin' brilliant. Loved Robert Forster popping in.

Yeah, Todd is a psychopath. So, why didn't he ice Skyler? A calculated reason, or some actual empathy for Walter. Or, as he phrased it, 'respect'. Or maybe just to show Lydia what a sensitive guy he is? (I think she would've been happier had he killed Skyler.)

I'm loving the parodies posted here too. I haven't done the bacon dance in years.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:No credibility in that last scene. Charlie Rose don't ask tough questions like that.

Feckin' brilliant. Loved Robert Forster popping in.

Yeah, Todd is a psychopath. So, why didn't he ice Skyler? A calculated reason, or some actual empathy for Walter. Or, as he phrased it, 'respect'. Or maybe just to show Lydia what a sensitive guy he is? (I think she would've been happier had he killed Skyler.)

I'm loving the parodies posted here too. I haven't done the bacon dance in years.
My guess would be because the cops were right outside.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Silencer was used when he dotted Andrea.

Unless you think the cops outside my door would deter me from the belly full of bacon dance. Cuz it wouldn't. Fuck the police.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:After watching the last two episodes of Breaking Bad, it was hard not to feel awful for Jesse. He's always seemed like the most moral person on the show (other than maybe Flynn). It was bad enough seeing him lose out even after finally outsmarting Walt, but then to go off and be tortured and made a slave at the peril of his girlfriend? And hearing Walt tell him that he had watched Jane die? Awful.

But yet, I watched a couple of older episodes the other night and remembered that Jesse is actually to blame for a lot of the trouble they are in.
So yeah, I feel a lot less for Jesse now.
Granted, Jesse's suffering is way beyond anything that character "deserves" (except in a real Old Testament interpretation...

But my wife couldn't watch the latest episode because she read spoilers and felt so bad for Jesse.

I reminded her that whatever humanity he has, he came by after he did a lot of bad things. This is a guy who went to an addiction anonymous class with the sole purpose of selling meth to the addicts.

Another gruelling, gripping episode. Walt is now in the place where he knows that it's over. It's time to clean the slate, and while the ricin would be a nice snack for the Schwartzes - after all, in a way, this IS their fault - I'm not so sure that it's for them. Think of how insistent Lydia is on getting "more stevia" for her tea whenever we see her in a diner. My question is, how does Walter get to her? Would she agree to meet him?

Or will he somehow get her through the DEA?

One episode to go, and I can't wait. How on earth will the writers get these loose ends tied up?

I'd make a bunch of predictions, but I would certainly be wrong.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."