Breaking Bad

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:Jesse wants nothing to do with that money as evidenced by his little 5 million dollar pick-up joy ride.
Well, it would be a whole lot easier to start over in Alaska with a few mil to get you by.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Grantland's tribute to the fallen:

It's missing a few (cartel guys killed by Mike, Gus guys killed by cartel, immigrants killed by Salamanca twins, etc.), but it's well done.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote:Loved it. I'd love to start over again and rewatch it all.
I came late to the party and watched all the episodes beginning in February of this year.

So, the memories are still fairly fresh, and I can say that of the 62 episodes, there may be one or two that weren't at least great. every episode had moments in it that will live in our minds, and each and every episode moved the story forward, so that Walt's transformation from downtrodden loser to crime kingpin, from family man to murderer, made sense.

The acting and the direction in each and every episode were obviously outstanding. But the writing is what made this - in my mind - the greatest show in TV history.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Fly sucked balls.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jerloma wrote:The Fly sucked balls.
Blame "Mad Men" for monopolizing AMC's cash, thereby limiting "Breaking Bad"'s budget.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote:Grantland's tribute to the fallen:

It's missing a few (cartel guys killed by Mike, Gus guys killed by cartel, immigrants killed by Salamanca twins, etc.), but it's well done.
That's just fantastic. Todd made me lolz.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I've been singing/humming Baby Blue constantly the last two days. I played it on repeat during my workout this afternoon.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Also...how did he get the money with him? Wasn't it still in the cabin?

Also...how do you drive from NH to NM in a stolen vehicle assumed to be stolen by the most wanted man in America?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Also...how did he get the money with him? Wasn't it still in the cabin?

Also...how do you drive from NH to NM in a stolen vehicle assumed to be stolen by the most wanted man in America?
They showed the money was in the trunk. It seems reasonable that a barrel full of money would fit in the trunk of a Volvo. I'm sure he had to make quite a few trips to transfer it.

As for the second point, that's a good question, but it's not like it is impossible. I don't really think he's quite as notorious as "most wanted man in America" but it seems like the possible run-in in NH would have made the national news.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The money was in his cabin, no? I figured he ran back up there and grabbed it all and put it in the trunk.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

AB_skin_test wrote:The money was in his cabin, no? I figured he ran back up there and grabbed it all and put it in the trunk.
Yeah, for some reason I was thinking the cops would have tracked down the cabin.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:The money was in his cabin, no? I figured he ran back up there and grabbed it all and put it in the trunk.
Yeah, for some reason I was thinking the cops would have tracked down the cabin.
Had that thought to, then I remembered that no one other than the Vacuum Cleaner guy knew about the cabin.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
Had that thought to, then I remembered that no one other than the Vacuum Cleaner guy knew about the cabin.
Oh, I think the cops were going to find the cabin, but it would probably take a day or two. He had time to get there safely. Realistically though, he would have had a very hard time getting out of the area. I have to think that if he were really that notorious, and they knew he had very recently left that bar, they'd get roadblocks set up all around the area.

But hey, it's TV. I let that slide (and for that matter, the ease with which he snuck unseen into Skyler's apartment).
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

And getting the ricin into a sealed pack of Stevia.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote:And getting the ricin into a sealed pack of Stevia.
Yeah, that's tricky, but not impossible. I have to think that with a little practice, a razor blade and some glue, you could do it, I suppose. I'd like to see an example though.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:
Jerloma wrote:And getting the ricin into a sealed pack of Stevia.
Yeah, that's tricky, but not impossible. I have to think that with a little practice, a razor blade and some glue, you could do it, I suppose. I'd like to see an example though.
And Walt is (was?) a guy who managed to make a bomb out of a wheelchair.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: But hey, it's TV. I let that slide (and for that matter, the ease with which he snuck unseen into Skyler's apartment).
I think he was standing there the whole time, no?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Shirley wrote: But hey, it's TV. I let that slide (and for that matter, the ease with which he snuck unseen into Skyler's apartment).
Dave means before that though. The feds/police were watching her home all along presumably (after it was learned Walt was in ABQ).
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:
Dave means before that though. The feds/police were watching her home all along presumably (after it was learned Walt was in ABQ).
Exactly. He had been seen and nearly caught in NH somewhat recently (within a week or two, at most, I'd guess). Also, he'd been seen in town, as Marie said. In all likelihood, they'd have had more than one car carefully watching her apartment.

But again, that's a minor nit. The story was much better for letting us have that scene where he confesses to Skyler. Also for us, it let us see that like his description of chemistry - it's a story of growth, decay and transformation. His real transformation came when he could admit to himself and others that he really did it all because he liked it. Once he was at peace with that, he could stop trying to perfectly fix things. Instead, he could focus only on cleaning up the last bits that he still could - getting the money to his family and getting revenge on the Nazis. He was never going to be able to clear his name or convince his son to love him again, so he didn't try.

On the other hand, the confession to Skyler - one of the only times in the whole series when he was fully honest with her - opened the possibility of her forgiveness. You could see the relief on her face (great acting, once again). She actually felt some pity for him then. Maybe even, over time, she could help Flynn soften his view of his dad.
Totally Kafkaesque
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Probably the best finale I've ever seen (The Wire was too depressing with what happened to Dukie). Badger and skinny Pete !
That final look between Jesse and Walt was great.

So now I can go back to Internet and Twitter. At last !
howard
Karl Hungus

Spoiler Alert!

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Spoiler Alert!

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And we can put a cherry on the sundae. This is fucking awesome.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This is pretty awesome:

Big version - http://thedroidyourelookingfor.files.wo ... thtoll.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

From one legendary screen bad guy to another:

Are the lambs still crying, Jesse?
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm so glad he doesn't refer to himself as sir.
howard
Karl Hungus

Too Obvious Not To

Post by howard »

Keep dreaming, buddy

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul reading the script for Felina for the first time.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

BB marathon on AMC has squeezed any remnant of productivity from this holiday season 'work' day.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Weatherfrog
Maude Lebowski

Post by Weatherfrog »

Really glad to see Mike Ermentrout didn't actually die. Though some might argue that getting a permanent teaching gig at Greendale is a fate worse than death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pinkman gives a proper Golden Globe acceptance speech last night...

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I had to rewind and watch Aaron Paul's movie trailer commercial during the Super Bowl. Then, I had to explain why to my kids.

I get that Aaron wants to move on from Breaking Bad, but I'm not exactly sure the way to do it is to allude to Breaking Bad in your first movie trailer.

That said, I loved that this trailer picked up right where BB left off (still not going to see this stupid movie though).

Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Here's a comprehensive list of movies based on video games.

Resident Evil is the clear victor here when you add up all the money from their multiple releases. Prince of Persia and the Tomb Raider movies follow on after that.

But none of them have sterling ratings. The best is a 58/100 from Metacritic and that's for Mortal Kombat or a 44% positive from Rotten Tomatoes for Final Fantasy.

Verdict: Aaron Paul wanted a nice paycheck for the Fast & Furious knockoff. 0/10. Won't attend.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I thought it was a cannonball run remake at first. Woulda been better if it had been.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:Here's a comprehensive list of movies based on video games.

Resident Evil is the clear victor here when you add up all the money from their multiple releases. Prince of Persia and the Tomb Raider movies follow on after that.

But none of them have sterling ratings. The best is a 58/100 from Metacritic and that's for Mortal Kombat or a 44% positive from Rotten Tomatoes for Final Fantasy.

Verdict: Aaron Paul wanted a nice paycheck for the Fast & Furious knockoff. 0/10. Won't attend.
And frankly good for him. I doubt he made much money on Breaking Bad.

(I'm sure he did OK, especially relative to what most of us make, but I doubt he made "fuck you" money like he probably got for this POS.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote:The Fly sucked balls.
Hated that episode too. Of course it makes "Top 10" lists from critics for the series. Because critics like to be contrarian.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just saw that they're running Breaking Bad episodes on AMC again. Caught the one where Hank and Walt have their showdown in the garage. Such a great scene.

Perhaps you should tread lightly.

In hindsight, I guess Walt was right about that.
Totally Kafkaesque