Donny

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Post by EdRomero »

My new pregame show Image
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:16 pm Come now. NFL football is not a normal job. Has to be the most dangerous job after mercenary. It is the rational decision to bow out once you have as much as you figure to get. Sure plenty will play for a second or third contract but when you get what you know is your last contract, priorities change. Even if they don't quit it's another thing to play with injuries every week like these guys do. You want me to do what on a Thursday night in December?
The only way to get players to willingly risk their lives for entertainment is to not give them all their money.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:16 pm Come now. NFL football is not a normal job. Has to be the most dangerous job after mercenary. It is the rational decision to bow out once you have as much as you figure to get. Sure plenty will play for a second or third contract but when you get what you know is your last contract, priorities change. Even if they don't quit it's another thing to play with injuries every week like these guys do. You want me to do what on a Thursday night in December?
Patently absurd. As if there are examples in any other sport where this occurs, and it ignores the simple, ingrained competitive drive that got the player there in the first place. You should feel horribly for this take.

Seriously though, the biggest reason the vast majority of contracts aren’t guaranteed in the NFL is because the risk of injury is too high. Oh and the NFLPA is a shitty union, because the correct response to that stance should be: “SO WHAT.” Until the union actually drops its testicles and is willing to walk away from the job over guaranteed contracts, the status quo will remain.
Noli Timere Messorem
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:00 am
Patently absurd. As if there are examples in any other sport where this occurs, and it ignores the simple, ingrained competitive drive that got the player there in the first place.
Tom Brady has made nearly $200M in career salary, many millions more in endorsements, and his wife is richer than any current NFL player. And yet he’s still working hard well into his 40s. So the notion that players cashing in will systematically cause an outbreak of laziness is laughable.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:23 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:39 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:34 am Albert Haynesworth said "fuck it, I got paid." But that was Snyder's money, so that's cool.
Damn it.

Chandler Jones got the same money guaranteed before last season that Haynesworth did. And then he lead the league in sacks.
Oh, I was just giving an example. I agree that the one doesn't mean all. I actually agree with you. It's a nonsense proposition to suggest that paying people correctly means they become lazy.

It's the same bullshit argument Republicans make about service industry minimum wage standards. Suddenly you won't get your food and when you do it'll be full of spit and piss? Nah, son. That's not how it works.

I said damn it because I mentioned Haynesworth and saw that you already brought him up.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Mahomes is going to average 25 yards per TD pass without ever throwing a TD pass even close to 25 yards
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 am Mahomes is going to average 25 yards per TD pass without ever throwing a TD pass even close to 25 yards
It's fun to see Mahomes slinging the football down the field. I hope Andy Reid doesn't try to neuter him and make him Alex Smith.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Vontae Davis says for every guy in it for the love of the games theres one with a very specific market price for each half of football.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:51 pm Vontae Davis says for every guy in it for the love of the games theres one with a very specific market price for each half of football.
Is there some language in the pension plan that you have to play six quarters to get credit for a full year of service?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:56 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:51 pm Vontae Davis says for every guy in it for the love of the games theres one with a very specific market price for each half of football.
Is there some language in the pension plan that you have to play six quarters to get credit for a full year of service?
He was inactive week 1....
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Think you just have to be on the active roster for one game in a season. I remember because I'm friends with a guy who went to CMU with Nick Bellore and it was a pretty big deal to a guy like him (special teams guy/gunner) to be on the opening week roster with Detroit last year since it meant his pension (and arguably more importantly, health care for the rest of his life) was fully vested.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:56 pm
He was inactive week 1....
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:23 am
Ryan wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 am Mahomes is going to average 25 yards per TD pass without ever throwing a TD pass even close to 25 yards
It's fun to see Mahomes slinging the football down the field. I hope Andy Reid doesn't try to neuter him and make him Alex Smith.
Andy Reid never tried to do that to anybody. He tried to get Alex Smith to do this and got him about as close as one can reasonably get Alex Smith.

He's probably wanted a Mahomes type for as long as he's been in the NFL.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

McNabb had a pretty great arm. I can still picture him dropping perfect deep balls right through Todd Pinkston's hands.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:47 am
Joe K wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 pm Rodgers has only played the Pats once in his career.
Peter King weeps.
From today's article:
2. I think I hope you enjoyed that electric ballgame in Los Angeles, with 58 points, 877 yards and big momentum turns by the Rams and Chargers. Thanks to the schedule process that I hate—regional rivalries in different conferences meeting once every four years—you won’t see the next Chargers-Rams game till 2022. The Raiders and Niners meet Nov. 1, and then not again till 2022. Patriots-Packers in November, and then Brady and Rodgers will never play each other again. (All of these, of course, are true unless the teams meet in a Super Bowl before then.)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Typical McButterpants that he laments the schedule but doesn't propose any remedies. As it stands at least the schedule rotation is fair. Once you start "protecting" cross-conference rivalries you're eliminating the fairness and making it harder to make the schedule every year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Scheduling is like the one thing the NFL does pretty alright.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:40 am Scheduling is like the one thing the NFL does pretty alright.
I know, right? Why fuck with that?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 am
mister d wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:40 am Scheduling is like the one thing the NFL does pretty alright.
Google is failing me and I can't find PK lamenting the paltry number of trips that Brady gets to make back to SF to play his boyhood fave 49ers.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:29 pm
brian wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 am
Google is failing me and I can't find PK lamenting the paltry number of trips that Brady gets to make back to SF to play his boyhood fave 49ers.
I know I've read him complain about that so I'm sure you're right. PK made a huge deal of it when Brady played in SF last year I believe it was.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the regional rivalry concept -- if fair, which it isn't -- would be convoluted. the rams and the chargers playing every year because they're in the same city would have weird ramifications across the league

the rams would have played the chiefs every year and the chargers would have played the ... cardinals? so now the chiefs and cardinals would be rivals in some sort of "hey the cardinals used to be in st. louis!" throwback? the vikings would be rivals with the ... broncos?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

even trying to create this in 5 minutes is dumb

Easy
Raiders-49ers
Rams-Chargers
Texans-Cowboys
Jets-Giants
Washington-Ravens
Steelers-Eagles
Bucs-Dolphins

Eh
Falcons-Jaguars?
Panthers-Titans?
Bills-Lions?
Bears-Colts?
Seahawks-Broncos?
Cardinals-Chiefs?

which leaves you with

Saints
Browns
Bengals
Packers
Patriots
Vikings
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

McButterpants gets his Pats-Packers game every year then. One of the oldest teams in the NFL vs. the city that perfected pro football fandom.

ETA: In seriousness, I think Browns-Lions would be the likely rivalry game. Lots of history there. They even played for a yearly rivalry trophy! (If you want to have some fun Google "Great Lakes Classic Trophy".
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:33 pm McButterpants gets his Pats-Packers game every year then. One of the oldest teams in the NFL vs. the city that perfected pro football fandom.

ETA: In seriousness, I think Browns-Lions would be the likely rivalry game. Lots of history there. They even played for a yearly rivalry trophy! (If you want to have some fun Google "Great Lakes Classic Trophy".
I had Browns-Lions and changed it. Yeah, that should be it. Same with Pack-Pats.

when the NFL goes to 18 games we had this here first
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:30 pm even trying to create this in 5 minutes is dumb

Easy
Raiders-49ers
Rams-Chargers
Texans-Cowboys
Jets-Giants
Washington-Ravens
Steelers-Eagles
Bucs-Dolphins

Eh
Falcons-Jaguars?
Panthers-Titans?
Bills-Lions?
Bears-Colts?
Seahawks-Broncos?
Cardinals-Chiefs?

which leaves you with

Saints
Browns
Bengals
Packers
Patriots
Vikings
I know this is out of scope, but In my 20 years of living in Baltimore the only rivalry that matters to #RavenFan is the Steelers.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bills fans always get angry over the Pats and older fans hate the Dolphins. Jets? Meh.

Raiders games always have an extra amount of fights, but the out of division team that gets Bills fans worked up is the Steelers. I think because they always beat the Bills and somehow 20,000 Steelers fans get tickets.

Nothing even comes close in terms of out of town fans. I know Steelers fans couldn't care less about the Bills though.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

OK, that settles it. Fuck Fatty McB and lets stick with what we got.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

#Sabermetrics

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:43 pm

I know this is out of scope, but In my 20 years of living in Baltimore the only rivalry that matters to #RavenFan is the Steelers.
(that was an NFC-AFC exercise)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don't remember ever seeing a guy get so blown up by a straight-arm as Conte just was by McDonald.
Last edited by sancarlos on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

That's what Jeremy Shockey thinks all of his touchdowns were like.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:42 pm I don't remember ever seeing a guy get so blown up by a straight-arm as Conte just was by McDonald.
I’m not watching, but I saw the replay. How is that even legal, for a receiver to smack the DB in the head, not once, but twice?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yeah. A lineman does that it’s a flag. He smacked him I. Head. Should not be legal in this day and age.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Here's an indication of how bad QB play has gotten:
In week 2 there were 4 starting QBs who started games for the Rams between 2005-16: Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. None of them ever played for a Rams team that finished higher than 7-9 and none had a winning record as a starter for them.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm Yeah. A lineman does that it’s a flag. He smacked him I. Head. Should not be legal in this day and age.
Though if Vance McDonald blocks Conte with two hands like a lineman, he's going to fumble the ball. It was kind of slappy but I don't know the rule there other than don't grab the facemask.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rams Fanny wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm Here's an indication of how bad QB play has gotten:
In week 2 there were 4 starting QBs who started games for the Rams between 2005-16: Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. None of them ever played for a Rams team that finished higher than 7-9 and none had a winning record as a starter for them.
The fact that these random guys have had really good moments since then suggests that QB play is actually pretty good right now.

Of course, the college offenses and rules have a lot to do with it too.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Or it could be that the Rams turned QBs into shit that only got the stink off them once they were away from that organization.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:29 pm Or it could be that the Rams turned QBs into shit that only got the stink off them once they were away from that organization.
The name Jeff Fisher comes to mind.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rams Fanny wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm Here's an indication of how bad QB play has gotten:
In week 1, SamBradford, Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman started games.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:04 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:57 pm Yeah. A lineman does that it’s a flag. He smacked him I. Head. Should not be legal in this day and age.
Though if Vance McDonald blocks Conte with two hands like a lineman, he's going to fumble the ball. It was kind of slappy but I don't know the rule there other than don't grab the facemask.
I think the stiff-arm is allowed because it enables the ballcarrier to defend/protect himself. There's probably a thousand stiff-arms a week in college and NFL and none are near as violent. McDonald on Conte sticks out because it's the exception, not the rule.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”