2018 NFL Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:04 pm Does Keenum have a shitty arm? It looked like it to this amateur scout.

Yes. The Vikings may have the best receivers in the NFL and they constantly bailed him out.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This feels sarcastic.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Didn’t Keenum have an extremely low sack rate last year? Not saying he’s great or anything but that’s like his one significant strength.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:35 pm This feels sarcastic.
No. The Vikings have for real probably the best WRs in the NFL and constantly bailed him out.

It's probably the best roster in the entire league.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I agree with the opinions stated on Cousins, Bridgewater, and Keenum. I'm guessing the Vikes sign Keenum, because it is safe for the GM, based on his 2017 W-L. If they pick Bridgewater or Bradford, and the team backslides in 2018, there will be massive second-guessing, regardless of whether or not it is due to quarterback play.

I do expect the Broncos to make a massive contract offer to Cousins. I bet he takes it, given the strong defense and decent receivers and tradition of winning in Denver. Since it is not my money, and because the Broncos absolutely need a serviceable quarterback, you won't hear me complaining if they sign him. But, I'd be just as happy to get Bridgewater at a lower price tag.

Sam Bradford is interesting because he shows flashes of great quarterback play. But, of course, he also gets injured by a strong wind gust.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Will Glennon catch on with another team or his career done?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"Can't be a good quarterback because he cares about the environment" is a new one.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Tom Brady grew up upper-middle-class in the suburban San Francisco Bay Area.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:31 pm Tom Brady grew up upper-middle-class in the suburban San Francisco Bay Area.
But Brady's a Republican so it's OK.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:35 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:31 pm Tom Brady grew up upper-middle-class in the suburban San Francisco Bay Area.
But Brady's a Republican so it's OK.
Same could be said of Peyton Manning, obviously. If Rosen wore NRA hats and went to Trump rallies in his spare time those same anonymous scouts would have him #1 on their draft boards.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Also, it drives me nuts when sportswriters like King allow team sources to say such ridiculous stuff under the cloak of anonymity. Adrian Wojnarowski also used to be a really bad example of that back when he would run his regular LeBron hit pieces based solely on unnamed sources.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, it's even worse in a way because King is trying to imply that the notions that these "anonymous scouts" have are ridiculous (which they are), but airing them regardless of the context doesn't make it any better journalistically.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

To ... defend ... Peter ... King ... ... ... I think he probably burns sources (and not just those quoted) if he airs out the scouts by name so presenting the quotes and letting everyone else do the work of trashing them is probably the best option.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm To ... defend ... Peter ... King ... ... ... I think he probably burns sources (and not just those quoted) if he airs out the scouts by name so presenting the quotes and letting everyone else do the work of trashing them is probably the best option.
Maybe. I'd argue if your criticism doesn't allow you to go on the record it probably doesn't need to be aired publicly. I don't have a problem if these guys come up with all kinds of wacky shit in their scouting reports. Every team feels differently about certain things that other teams wouldn't give a shit about (when Martin Mayhew was the GM of the Lions he had a preference for guys who were already married) so who am I to say that or anything like it is an idiotic opinion.

But trashing a guy for his politics using anonymity? Fuck that .
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Or, he could just be making this shit up.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm Or, he could just be making this shit up.
Peter King? No, I seriously doubt that. Based on previous years, this kind of criticism is not uncommon. Numerous NFL teams had supposedly red-flagged Myron Rolle for being "too intelligent" prior to the 2010 draft (he was a Rhodes Scholarship winner and apparently according to a lot of these Neanderthal dickbags too smart for a black kid).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I totally buy the report so if the options are "don't let people know this is happening" or "let people know this is happening but don't sell out by who", I think the latter is better than the former.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Michael Bennett moving to the Eagles.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:44 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm Or, he could just be making this shit up.
Peter King? No, I seriously doubt that. Based on previous years, this kind of criticism is not uncommon. Numerous NFL teams had supposedly red-flagged Myron Rolle for being "too intelligent" prior to the 2010 draft (he was a Rhodes Scholarship winner and apparently according to a lot of these Neanderthal dickbags too smart for a black kid).
Those idiot scouts should have flagged him for "not being very good" but they were too busy doing dumb shit like that. It's already clear that very few of them have actually watched much of Lamar Jackson or even Josh Allen.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:02 pm I totally buy the report so if the options are "don't let people know this is happening" or "let people know this is happening but don't sell out by who", I think the latter is better than the former.
I agree with that.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Rams trading Ogletree to NYG for a 4th and a 6th. I have no idea what the fuck they are doing but they are freeing up lots of cap space while disassembling their defense.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rams Fanny wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:47 pm Rams trading Ogletree to NYG for a 4th and a 6th. I have no idea what the fuck they are doing but they are freeing up lots of cap space while disassembling their defense.
Broncos send Aqib Talib to the Rams for a 5th round pick. Which makes no sense to me (unless Elway thinks this will free up enough cap space to afford a real quarterback.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

duff wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 pm Michael Bennett moving to the Eagles.
And rumor is that Richard Sherman is getting cut tomorrow, and lots of Earl Thomas trade talks.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:14 pm
Rams Fanny wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:47 pm Rams trading Ogletree to NYG for a 4th and a 6th. I have no idea what the fuck they are doing but they are freeing up lots of cap space while disassembling their defense.
Broncos send Aqib Talib to the Rams for a 5th round pick. Which makes no sense to me (unless Elway thinks this will free up enough cap space to afford a real quarterback.)

They like Roby and save some cash.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Go Vikings! Can't believe I wasn't on here for the Minneapolis Miracle... Vikings win it next year.

I was getting ready to be sad, like any other year the Vikings make the playoffs. And then, Bam! Diggs. It was seriously the most emotional rollercoaster I have ever been on watching a sport. and probably the happiest i have ever been. it felt like they won the Super Bowl. Needless to say, I turned off the next game before half time and watched Toy Story 2 instead. But I did watch the Super Bowl. I was cheering for the stadium.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:06 am

Roby was on the field 68% of the time last year (75% for Talib). That may be true that they like Roby, but now whatever Brandon Langley is might have to be on the field 2/3 of the time.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:59 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:06 am
Roby was on the field 68% of the time last year (75% for Talib). That may be true that they like Roby, but now whatever Brandon Langley is might have to be on the field 2/3 of the time.
Thanks, GPJ. I wanted to say something like that but I didn't know the facts or how to say it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I guess Mark Davis has "fuck you" money and doesn't have to care what he looks like.

But man alive!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Richard Sherman got released from the Seahawks. Lots of rumblings about "tightening up the locker room" by getting rid of Sherman and Bennett.

His greatest moment:

The scared look on Erin Andrews' face is priceless.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:35 pm Richard Sherman got released from the Seahawks. Lots of rumblings about "tightening up the locker room" by getting rid of Sherman and Bennett.

His greatest moment:

The scared look on Erin Andrews' face is priceless.
or maybe it's because they don't have Russell Wilson on a rookie contract any longer and cutting high-priced players with a 3 as their first age digit is a good way to cut salary
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:09 pm high-priced players with a 3 as their first age digit is a good way to cut salary
Or, as is the case with Sherman, high-priced players in their 30's who blew out their Achilles last season.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I would hope it has nothing to do with Bennett and Sherman being opinionated, outspoken black men.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm I would hope it has nothing to do with Bennett and Sherman being opinionated, outspoken black men.
Maybe with the former, but not the latter.

A shutdown cornerback with an achilles issue is (in the brutal world of the NFL) not worth paying more than the minimum.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well. Browns are hustling.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Liking the deal to bring in Tyrod Taylor. Feel like he should be the starter next year no matter who they draft.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Aw fuck. My hope is that the Browns go with Josh Allen #1 or #4. Tyrod though is going to make them much tougher to beat.

He's really just black Alex Smith, also somewhat similar to Cousins. I'd just drop 7 or 8 and have Shazier chase him down when he tried to run. Oh.....son of bitch. Nevermind.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:20 pm Aw fuck. My hope is that the Browns go with Josh Allen #1 or #4. Tyrod though is going to make them much tougher to beat.

He's really just black Alex Smith, also somewhat similar to Cousins. I'd just drop 7 or 8 and have Shazier chase him down when he tried to run. Oh.....son of bitch. Nevermind.
Taylor can;t throw as well as Smith.

Dude is tough, and with Landry to throw to, he's going to get that team up to 5 or 6 wins at least. I always said that Taylor was a good enough QB to get a team into the playoffs. The fact that he did so last year with an absolutely horrific receiving corps was impressive. He has Landry, they beat the Jags. Not saying he;s 's a star... but he's good enough.

As for the Bills - they better do something at QB, because if they go into the season with that Peterman at QB, they can start scouting the #1 pick in the 2019 draft.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Have you guys seen this?

www.draftjoshallen.com

But this is even better.

www.draftjoshrosen.com
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Go to get me some of the Steven Seagall bitcoiins!