2018 NFL Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Browns probably take Saquon Barkley at #1 and trade out of #4, sending it to BUF for #21 and #22 and a couple other picks, maybe the later of their two second-rounders. Browns then end up with Lamar Jackson, possibly trading back up to get him.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote:As for the Bills - they better do something at QB, because if they go into the season with that Peterman at QB, they can start scouting the #1 pick in the 2019 draft.
After the Superbowl ended I figured the Bills would give up a haul in a trade for Foles. A tall, religious white QB who beat the Patriots in the Superbowl is like the Bills fanbase’s wet dream. And knowing the Bills, Tyrod would play well in Cleveland while Foles reverted to his 2014-15 form.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:32 am
Pruitt wrote:As for the Bills - they better do something at QB, because if they go into the season with that Peterman at QB, they can start scouting the #1 pick in the 2019 draft.
After the Superbowl ended I figured the Bills would give up a haul in a trade for Foles. A tall, religious white QB who beat the Patriots in the Superbowl is like the Bills fanbase’s wet dream. And knowing the Bills, Tyrod would play well in Cleveland while Foles reverted to his 2014-15 form.
I can not disagree with a single word that you wrote.

The Bills and Browns normally combine for 8-11 wins a season. So any rise in Brown wins will have to be offset by a decline in Bills wins.

And while I like the Bills Coach and GM, they were one of the worst teams to ever make the playoffs. Taylor is going to look so much better in Cleveland because he will actually have NFL-caliber receivers to throw to.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:25 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:20 pm Aw fuck. My hope is that the Browns go with Josh Allen #1 or #4. Tyrod though is going to make them much tougher to beat.

He's really just black Alex Smith, also somewhat similar to Cousins. I'd just drop 7 or 8 and have Shazier chase him down when he tried to run. Oh.....son of bitch. Nevermind.
Taylor can;t throw as well as Smith.

Dude is tough, and with Landry to throw to, he's going to get that team up to 5 or 6 wins at least. I always said that Taylor was a good enough QB to get a team into the playoffs. The fact that he did so last year with an absolutely horrific receiving corps was impressive. He has Landry, they beat the Jags. Not saying he;s 's a star... but he's good enough.

As for the Bills - they better do something at QB, because if they go into the season with that Peterman at QB, they can start scouting the #1 pick in the 2019 draft.

Alex Smith is one of the best throwing QBs in the NFL.

But...he doesn't do it.

https://g.redditmedia.com/HlIvbHc2LoT5a ... 8e25d4e031

Alex Smith senses a little bit of pressure about to develop? Dip out! He missed two or three wide open guys downfield in that game.

Four man rush, no pressure, clean pocket? DIP OUT

Above is the worst one. DIPSET DIPSET

Two guys open, one off the snap and the other on a wheel route at the end of the play but Alex Smith's gotta run around with his head down.

Every single thing you hear about Tyrod Taylor from a certain loud segment of Bills fans much better describes Alex Smith. Tyrod Taylor has infinitely more pocket presence. He runs when he has to. Alex Smith runs because he has a clock ticking in his head and he's gotta move. And it's a shame because when he does play like a QB, he can be amazing. Great arm talent that he just doesn't use.

Tannehill is similar. Amazing downfield thrower, doesn't throw downfield. It's why Derek Carr has seemingly regressed as well. And why I have a soft spot for Geno Smith, because he has shown that he can stand in and make tough throws downfield but at this point he's never going to get a real chance while Alex Smith is looked at as a top 10 NFL QB for putting up empty stats with a fleet of WRs running 4.4s in an Andy Reid offense and a tight end who does this:

Andy Reid is taking the heat for another playoff meltdown when it was primarily caused by Alex Smith being Alex Smith. He escapes so much blame but he is what people think Tyrod is. Kirk Cousins is similar and he's talked about as a $30 mil QB. Case Keenum is like a limited version and he deserves another year. I wonder what the difference is?

And yes, that's 100% behind the reason that these guys are looked at the way they are and Josh Allen is maybe the #1 pick because he can sling it outside the pocket (that he ran away from) while Lamar Jackson (who has more pocket presence and makes infinitely more 2nd/3rd reads than Allen) should switch to WR.
Last edited by Gunpowder on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:29 am Browns probably take Saquon Barkley at #1 and trade out of #4, sending it to BUF for #21 and #22 and a couple other picks, maybe the later of their two second-rounders. Browns then end up with Lamar Jackson, possibly trading back up to get him.
I would trade the #1 to a team that wants one of these QBs.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

THIS is why I don't like Josh Allen. He's like an inverse Alex Smith in a lot of ways but very similar in many others, and it often results in running himself into sacks.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:29 am Browns probably take Saquon Barkley at #1 and trade out of #4, sending it to BUF for #21 and #22 and a couple other picks, maybe the later of their two second-rounders. Browns then end up with Lamar Jackson, possibly trading back up to get him.
Absolutely.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:47 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:19 am
Absolutely.
I understand, but I think that Barkley would be looked at as a "missing piece" to the CLE offense (Taylor with Gordon and Landry at WR, Duke Johnson as a pass-catching back who can also work out of the slot, Barkley certainly appears significantly better than Isaiah Crowell). Both NYG and IND have serious holes at RB that could result in Barkley being gone before #4.

I also totally understand that RBs are viewed as the most expendable/replaceable players on the roster.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

They need to take Barkley.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Is Barkley really that good?

Like who would you compare him to in terms of running style?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Saquon Barkley.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

He's like a stronger and more athletic version of Zeke Elliott that respects women. Also a good receiving RB. Ive heard Trent Richardsonian vision concerns but haven't taken a deep dive yet.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

He also tested okay at the combine:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw this coming as soon as Miami signed him to that ridiculous FA deal, but honestly figured it would take one more year, but Miami is going to cut Suh.

In a fascinating twist, one of the most interested teams is likely to be...Detroit. (Whole new coaching staff and front office since he left.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:33 pm God Help Me... The Bills Seem To Know What They're Doing!

The Bengals... not so much.
Bullshit. They need a LT and if Glenn is recovered, and he is supposed to be healthy for spring camps, this benefited both teams. Dropping back in 1 actually brings the draft board better to cincy as well-better still they won’t reach at 12 for a T now. This deal made sense for both teams.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Broncos caught a case of the keenums.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:36 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:33 pm God Help Me... The Bills Seem To Know What They're Doing!

Bullshit. They need a LT and if Glenn is recovered, and he is supposed to be healthy for spring camps, this benefited both teams. Dropping back in 1 actually brings the draft board better to cincy as well-better still they won’t reach at 12 for a T now. This deal made sense for both teams.
Big "if" there. Guy's not bad, but if he starts 10 games, I will be shocked.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nobody shits on the Bengals, except for Bengal!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:28 am

Outside of one year, hasn't he always done that?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I fail to see a huge difference between Trevor Siemian and Case Keenum.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:48 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:28 am

Outside of one year, hasn't he always done that?
He has. He was hurt last year, but before that has been a top 15 LT in the league. The Bengals had to take a chance like this, the Tackles in the draft are questions, and reaching for one at 12 would have sucked. If he's healthy, they've gotten better. They've got him for 3 years (his age 28-30 seasons) and if he is hurt and can't play, they can cut him after this year with no cap hit. I don't see the downside. The Bengals also get the Bills' 5th round pick (gives the Bengals 3 in that round now) and give the Bills their 6th.

Makes sense for the Bills too, since they have a replacement for him and are angling for a qb in 1. I thought the deal was pretty fair for both sides.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:43 am He also tested okay at the combine:

Something tells me if this kid were 2” taller he’d have been going high in the first round of the NBA draft and been a next generation shut-down defensive guard ala Mo Cheeks or a Dennis Johnson. (I’m sure there are better comps to be made)..
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, I guess the Broncos figured they weren't getting Cousins, so they went for a caretaker until whatever young guy they draft is ready. Hard to be excited about it, though.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Bears are reportedly signing Allen Robinson for 3 years, $42 million.

I also thought this was interesting, as far as team-building goes:

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Eagles drafted all of those guys - they are paying big money because they drafted well. The Browns have also invested heavily in the trenches.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Cousins to The North, 3 years $86MM guaranteed, as per Ian Rappaport.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 am Cousins to The North, 3 years $86MM guaranteed, as per Ian Rappaport.
Guaranteed?! Great God almighty. That's a lot of money for the (approximately) 12th best QB in the league.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, yes and no. Any deal for Cousins was likely going to involve guaranteed money in the ballpark of what Matthew Stafford ($92M) and Derek Carr ($70M) got regardless of the terms/length of the deal.

All this is is an acknowledgement that NFL contracts are fake money until the player actually plays out the deal or signs a new one. In a sense, it's an interesting decision by Cousins to gamble on himself. He could have gotten a bigger deal with more money and more years, but probably closer to Carr's guaranteed money, but this way he'll be a FA again in three years and could end up signing another huge deal either with the Vikings or someone else.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 pm Well, yes and no. Any deal for Cousins was likely going to involve guaranteed money in the ballpark of what Matthew Stafford ($92M) and Derek Carr ($70M) got regardless of the terms/length of the deal.

All this is is an acknowledgement that NFL contracts are fake money until the player actually plays out the deal or signs a new one. In a sense, it's an interesting decision by Cousins to gamble on himself. He could have gotten a bigger deal with more money and more years, but probably closer to Carr's guaranteed money, but this way he'll be a FA again in three years and could end up signing another huge deal either with the Vikings or someone else.
As we all know, most NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and the headline number means nothing. But, it's different for quarterbacks who do get it guaranteed. So, whenever we see one of those guarantees it is kind of a big deal because it's the rare case where it isn't fake money. Worked out great for Cousins - several teams needing a quarterback, and not much front-line competition to get them, so they bid up for him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:40 pm
brian wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:32 pm Well, yes and no. Any deal for Cousins was likely going to involve guaranteed money in the ballpark of what Matthew Stafford ($92M) and Derek Carr ($70M) got regardless of the terms/length of the deal.

As we all know, most NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and the headline number means nothing. But, it's different for quarterbacks who do get it guaranteed. So, whenever we see one of those guarantees it is kind of a big deal because it's the rare case where it isn't fake money. Worked out great for Cousins - several teams needing a quarterback, and not much front-line competition to get them, so they bid up for him.
I honestly thought Cousins might get more guaranteed money than Stafford. So in that sense, it's not really a ridiculous contract. The Vikings are probably underpaying relative to what he would get after three years of a deal where he was being guaranteed a little less money, but they have the luxury of knowing exactly what they're on the hook for and can cut bait if they need to after three years without any salary cap implications. The tradeoff is if Cousins outplays (or more likely and interestingly plays right around to it) they have to pony up some serious money to a QB who will still only be age 32.

ETA: Cousins is pretty much the epitome of a glass half full/half empty QB. I don't have any reason to think he's going to play any better or worse than he did in Washington so there's a pretty decent chance we're right back here again in three years talking about what he's going to do if Minnesota is going to extend him, etc., etc.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:43 am He also tested okay at the combine:

Something tells me if this kid were 2” taller he’d have been going high in the first round of the NBA draft and been a next generation shut-down defensive guard ala Mo Cheeks or a Dennis Johnson. (I’m sure there are better comps to be made)..

Brian Westbrook was only 5'10" His BBall coach at Dematha said he was one of the most talented players he ever coached.

Eagles just restructured Lane Johnson freeing up about $6M of cap money
Also signed Ngata to a 1 year contract. With their DLine rotation that trench is going to be wide and deep.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler to Tennessee.

Amendola to Miami.

Jordy Nelson released, Patriots are interested.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:17 pm Jordy Nelson released, Patriots are interested.
Of course they are. It's a league rule that undersized white wide receivers play for the Patriots.

They used to have a similar rule in the NBA. It was called the Celtic rule.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nelson’s pretty huge.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

OK. I shouldn't have said "undersized".

Quit pissing on my jokes.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Should have pivoted to a dick joke there, SC.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Browns going to sign carlos hyde. That probably seals the deal on Barkley.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:17 pm Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler to Tennessee.

Amendola to Miami.

Not good enough to play in the Super Bowl, good enough for the Titans. That's a huge wad of cash for Butler.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:41 am
Johnnie wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:17 pm Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler to Tennessee.

Amendola to Miami.

Not good enough to play in the Super Bowl, good enough for the Titans. That's a huge wad of cash for Butler.
And he's worth every penny.