2018 NFL Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 pm
Rams Fanny wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm Here's an indication of how bad QB play has gotten:
In week 2 there were 4 starting QBs who started games for the Rams between 2005-16: Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. None of them ever played for a Rams team that finished higher than 7-9 and none had a winning record as a starter for them.
In week 1, SamBradford, Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman started games.

Sam Bradford being one of the "bad QBs" doesn't suggest in any way that QB-ing is bad. This is a league in which teams used to go into seasons with Kent Graham and Ty Detmer.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd like to check this out. But, I don't have Amazon Prime. Is there a way I can listen to this stream, anyway?

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:56 pm
Rams Fanny wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm Here's an indication of how bad QB play has gotten:
In week 2 there were 4 starting QBs who started games for the Rams between 2005-16: Case Keenum, Nick Foles, Sam Bradford, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. None of them ever played for a Rams team that finished higher than 7-9 and none had a winning record as a starter for them.

Sam Bradford being one of the "bad QBs" doesn't suggest in any way that QB-ing is bad. This is a league in which teams used to go into seasons with Kent Graham and Ty Detmer.
Good point.

Just wanted to vent a little - guy on the Toronto Browns Backers FB page advanced a theory that Todd Haley intentionally sabotaged Tyrod Taylor because he wanted Mayfield in, AND because he wanted to get Hue Jackson fired. Got some support too from Tyrod Taylor backers.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 pm Just wanted to vent a little - guy on the Toronto Browns Backers FB page advanced a theory that Todd Haley intentionally sabotaged Tyrod Taylor because he wanted Mayfield in, AND because he wanted to get Hue Jackson fired. Got some support too from Tyrod Taylor backers.
Heh. And, it was genius how he got Taylor to throw up all those wounded duck passes.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:12 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 pm Just wanted to vent a little - guy on the Toronto Browns Backers FB page advanced a theory that Todd Haley intentionally sabotaged Tyrod Taylor because he wanted Mayfield in, AND because he wanted to get Hue Jackson fired. Got some support too from Tyrod Taylor backers.
Heh. And, it was genius how he got Taylor to throw up all those wounded duck passes.
The guy who started it bolstered his argument by posting a clip of the Skip Bayless show. I can't watch that, so I don't know what was said exactly.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:56 pm

I agree that the caliber of QB play is better than ever. There are currently 18 different starters with a QB rating of 90 or higher. There were probably only a few guys per year who did that back in the 90’s. Some of it is due to the rule changes but IMO it’s mostly due to the evolution of more efficient offenses league wide. Teams like the Fischer Rams with retrograde offenses are always going to struggle to get production out of guys who might be good in a better system.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The young generation of QBs are very exciting... but when you see farces like the number of roughing the QB calls in the game last night you can see that the passing game is getting every conceivable advantage.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yes. Night and day. The fear of paralysis tends to make you curl into a fetal ball more impulsively. Shell shock is real.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

It’s pretty fun though, Amirite?!?!??
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:09 pmJust wanted to vent a little - guy on the Toronto Browns Backers FB page advanced a theory that Todd Haley intentionally sabotaged Tyrod Taylor because he wanted Mayfield in, AND because he wanted to get Hue Jackson fired. Got some support too from Tyrod Taylor backers.
A couple of my cousins are Browns fans. We all believe Hue should be gone as soon as possible, but I warned them that it should only be in-season if the special teams coach can take the wheel, as neither Haley nor Gregg Williams should be handed the keys... unless you're looking for a Buddy Ryan-Kevin Gilbride fight on the sideline during a game.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'd rather hand the keys to Gabe Rivera.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tell me how crazy I am that this conspiracy theory crackpot thought popped in my head this morning...

Part of the reason for the crackdown on roughing the passer calls this season is to keep quarterbacks healthy specifically so teams don't have to bring guys who are not Kaepernick in for workouts/potentially sign one of them because every time these guys who have already washed out of the league come in for workouts, it gives a little more credibility to the theory that he has been blackballed by the league.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 am Tell me how crazy I am that this conspiracy theory crackpot thought popped in my head this morning...

Part of the reason for the crackdown on roughing the passer calls this season is to keep quarterbacks healthy specifically so teams don't have to bring guys who are not Kaepernick in for workouts/potentially sign one of them because every time these guys who have already washed out of the league come in for workouts, it gives a little more credibility to the theory that he has been blackballed by the league.
No offence, but that's far fetched.

As Trump said last year, NFL ratings were down. More passing is thought to be good for the ratings.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:24 am Tell me how crazy I am that this conspiracy theory crackpot thought popped in my head this morning...

That's too deep of a cut for me. I think it's pretty clear it's that QBs are the stars, Backups usually blow. Keep stars in game, games are better. They pretty much call it the "Aaron Rodgers Rule."
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:27 am

As Trump said last year, NFL ratings were down. More passing is thought to be good for the ratings.
I said "conspiracy theory crackpot" already.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 am
Pruitt wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:27 am

I said "conspiracy theory crackpot" already.
Got it.

I'd bet if you did some searching you'd find people who believed this.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So the rookie LB that was basically the one "star" on the Pats d was placed on IR for an unknown reason. Looks like an Lions OL fell on him and he had trouble getting up. Maybe collarbone or something else, but now 7 of the 9 picks the Pats had this year are on IR.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe he landed on an over-inflated ball hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

They were playing the Lions not the Packers.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:29 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:15 pm I don’t doubt the cte angle but I also don’t recall junior Seau being that big of a douche.
I would expect anyone who played offensive line professionally for as long as Incognito to develop some level of CTE. But I’d also think that it’s effect on players is highly variable and I really don’t we know enough to attribute particular players’ instability (or worse) to head trauma. But he’s clearly having some serious mental health issues lately as this is at least the second really bizarre incident this offseason.
Back In The NFL
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Burfict. Antonio Brown. Incognito. That locker room is gonna be...interesting.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:52 pm Burfict. Antonio Brown. Incognito. That locker room is gonna be...interesting.
They're eligible for Hard Knocks this year too. HBO has to pick them to document the final year in Oakland anyway.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

After he got hired, Mayock spent a lot of time talking about wanting high character guys. Then, this. Just goes to show that GM’s will overlook any character flaws if they think it will win games for them.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:02 pm After he got hired, Mayock spent a lot of time talking about wanting high character guys. Then, this. Just goes to show that GM’s will overlook any character flaws if they think it will win games for them.

Guy's a douche nozzle.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Assuming he’s the lisp guy, I was one Terrell Suggs signing away from a real nice joke.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:02 pm After he got hired, Mayock spent a lot of time talking about wanting high character guys. Then, this. Just goes to show that GM’s will overlook any character flaws if they think it will win games for them.
From AP:
A person with direct knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press that security was stepped up at the Bills headquarters around the time Incognito announced his retirement on social media. Though he wasn’t entirely barred from the facility, security personnel were placed on alert if Incognito arrived, the person said, speaking to the AP on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak publicly.