2018 NFL Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yeah. That really sucks. Checks make you feel better.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:25 pm He'd be crazy if he didn't. Bad ownership has to be #2 after crappy QBs in terms of job evaluation red flags.

Isn't Irsay a not bad other? I know he's crazy, but he's pretty hands off and patient, no?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Got to be the thought of taking over a 4-12 team with no defence and Jacoby Brissett under centre.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:23 pm
So Shefter can basically tweet whatever he wants and then say "text from league source." Nice gig.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:26 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:23 pm
So Shefter can basically tweet whatever he wants and then say "text from league source." Nice gig.
It’s crazy to me that McDaniels would even accept the job in the first place without knowing Luck’s status. He has to know that Belichick is retiring after 2018, right? Because otherwise backing out like this is a really bad look for a guy who already has a history of personality clashes during his failed tenure in Denver.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Neat. Just woke up to the "breaking news" stuff even if it's hours old now.

LOL @ the Colts.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Joe K wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 pm He has to know that Belichick is retiring after 2018, right? Because otherwise backing out like this is a really bad look for a guy who already has a history of personality clashes during his failed tenure in Denver.
Not sure if it's 2018. But probably in 2-3 years. I think BB gave a definitive date and Kraft threw in some extra cash.

I did always find it interesting that McDaniels was linked there because of shit that went down in the past, even if they did trade Jacoby there (but I think he was going to be released, so nice to get something for him.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I guess being the OC and hand-picked HC-in waiting for up to 3 years just to then have to take over the team without BB and TB is better than the Colts job, but only if Luck really is broken.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:21 amNot sure if it's 2018. But probably in 2-3 years. I think BB gave a definitive date and Kraft threw in some extra cash.
Its totally going to be today.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wonder if they could get more than a high 2nd if they put him on the market now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

$528,846 per week. Not bad.

(Of course, he's a piker compared to baseball players.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Say what you want about Stafford's insane contract last offseason, but at least he had played more than a half season in the NFL. This is a ridiculous, insane, indefensible contract. San Francisco would have been better off tagging him and giving him a full year at $23M or whatever the tag number would be.

Cousins is going to get PAID.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:33 pm Say what you want about Stafford's insane contract last offseason, but at least he had played more than a half season in the NFL. This is a ridiculous, insane, indefensible contract. San Francisco would have been better off tagging him and giving him a full year at $23M or whatever the tag number would be.

Yeah, JG stringing together wins against teams that were either tanking or resting starters for the postseason doesn’t exactly convince me that he’s the next Steve Young. He’s obviously better than the other scrubs they played at QB last year but that’s a huge payday for a guy with 7 career starts.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I realize players hate getting tagged and I don't know the ins and outs of Garopollo's relationship with the Niners front office, but $23M would have been a HUGE pay increase for him with the promise of much more on the horizon. I have to believe even if he had gone out and produced at the same level for a full season, his contract would have been in the same ballpark. If they had to give him something like 5/$150M instead then at least they're doing it based on a lot more data. I just don't get this contract at all.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:33 pm

I keep seeing him linked to Denver, but he's going to eat up all the cap even if they do get rid of Talib.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:35 pm
brian wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:33 pm

I keep seeing him linked to Denver, but he's going to eat up all the cap even if they do get rid of Talib.
The good news is they can delay the worst of the cap hit with a new deal, but bad news is that around the time the Broncos are probably decent again, that cap hit is gonna be a monster.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A half-hearted defense of the Garopollo contract is that they didn't want to piss him off by franchising him, and they certainly didn't want him to walk, and they have a ton of cap room. I know they overpaid, despite those arguments.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

How many times can you franchise? I’m sure part of the calculus is “why risk letting him get a year closer to full UFA” knowing what Cousins is going to get.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No guarantee he would have signed it. At the least you tell them you're willing to sit it out. Not really a risk you can take after trading assets and needing him as bad as they do. They got their look in 5 games and the kid knocked it out the park. After that it's just naming prices and saying no.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm How many times can you franchise? I’m sure part of the calculus is “why risk letting him get a year closer to full UFA” knowing what Cousins is going to get.
Technically unlimited but the tag number goes up by 20 percent (I think?) after the first time a player is tagged so there’s a financial incentive even if you didn’t care about potential animosity. The tag numbers haven’t been calculated yet but QB will probably be about $23-$24M. If they tagged him again in 2019 it would be about $29M and obviously a long-term deal is preferred at this point.

I think SF had a perfect case though to be up front with him and say, “Look, $23M is nothing to sneeze at and we’ll worth with on good faith for an extension pretty much no matter what and Garopollo wouldn’t have enough leverage to really be a dick about it.

Personally I think SF panicked but if he turns out to be a top 10 QB it’ll be worth it. I’m dubious that’s the case but who knows?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Could go in the "End of Journalism" thread too, but: the Boston Herald's Ron Borges published an "explosive" story about Brady supposedly holding out this offseason, which was apparently the work of a WEEI caller pretending to be Brady's agent.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rookie 49er linebacker Reuben Foster was possibly the best player on their whole defense last season. He slipped to the end of the first round because of questions about his character and injury history.

Ulp.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pretty much regretting rooting for the Eagles last Sunday. Not good to weaponize this kind of stupidity.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:56 pm Pretty much regretting rooting for the Eagles last Sunday. Not good to weaponize this kind of stupidity.
And the road O&B pwned the VGK tonight. Sweet!!!
oh shit...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:56 pm Pretty much regretting rooting for the Eagles last Sunday. Not good to weaponize this kind of stupidity.
Wha'ppen?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This A.J. Mccarron news is a surprise, eh?

Maybe Cleveland was fortunate to have screwed up the paperwork on that attempted trade.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:55 pm This A.J. Mccarron news is a surprise, eh?

Maybe Cleveland was fortunate to have screwed up the paperwork on that attempted trade.
Love the opening line from the linked piece -
The free-agent quarterback market already featured several big names and now it has another...
Really?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Big in that it has twice as many capital letters as the typical QB name?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

No matter which way they go, the Vikings will likely screw this up because that's their lot in life.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 am No matter which way they go, the Vikings will likely screw this up because that's their lot in life.
Out of spite to Drew Magary, good. I wonder who actually ends up in Minnesota because I completely doubt Cousins likes that place.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:10 am No matter which way they go, the Vikings will likely screw this up because that's their lot in life.
Am I crazy in that I don't think Cousins is much better than Keenum?

The Vikings did make the title game with him under centre...

But any team that goes after Bridgewater is nuts. True, he was the starter when he got hurt, but just as true... he wasn't very good.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 am

But any team that goes after Bridgewater is nuts. True, he was the starter when he got hurt, but just as true... he wasn't very good.
I don’t think you’re crazy. I think Cousins is massively overrated. It seems to me like Jay Gruden’s offense is pretty well designed to have a QB put up big stats because it involves so many high percentage short throws in lieu of a traditional running game. And while I fully recognize the limits on looking at W/L record for QBs, I have a lot of skepticism about making a guy with a 26-30-1 record as a starter the highest paid player in football. Cousins would certainly help a team like Denver, which has had atrocious QB play the last few years. But I think he’s much closer to Keenum’s level than to the level of the true star QBs.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, presumably they'd be able to pay Keenum about $15M a year less than Cousins (give or take). Can't help thinking they could use that cap room elsewhere, but since the Vikings are in the Lions division I hope they continue to make stupid, bad decisions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I saw Keenum play a few quarters and I've gotta say he looked like he sucks.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't think he's great or anything, but I also don't think (like Joe was saying) that Cousins is a massive upgrade. I agree he's probably an upgrade over Keenum, but not an upgrade worth paying whatever insane deal some team is going to throw at him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Does Keenum have a shitty arm? It looked like it to this amateur scout.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:20 am

Keenum is easily the worst of the three, IMO. He's your stereotypical black QB - dips out and runs into sacks instead of stepping up, just like Alex Smith. Of course, he's a gritty gamer and a leader. Even his highlights have his WRs catching a bunch of off-target throws.

Cousins will look good in Minnesota until they have to throw downfield, and he'll end up putting up his patented 340 yard, 16 point performance.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse