2018 NFL Season

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: 2018 NFL Season

Post by mister d »

I just drafted a fantasy team and I think it might be a really bad one.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:59 pm I just drafted a fantasy team and I think it might be a really bad one.
No way! That is an unreasonable take!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Last day of staycation and I'm just going for it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kinda disagree about on time. It's on time because the receivers are expecting the ball or moving defenders to open a window for the ball to come out into a space. After the initial play you've just got guys running around. Of course they work on it and presumably have secondary routes or understanding after the QB runs but there's an efficiency to having wideouts know when to look for the ball. All that said I base a lot of what I said on the last few times the pats have played the Packers. Tons of dbs and coverage instead of pressure and it seems like Rodgers was not impressive.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm Am I wrong to be outraged that the Browns cut Kendricks the day it comes out that he made cash off insider trading - yet the same team kept Manziel on the team after he had smacked his girlfriend around a couple of times (plus drunk driving)?

What a bunch of fucking hypocrites. How much money did Haslam make in nefarious ways?
I read that the team knew about Kendricks' situation before they signed him, but apparently he made it sound like he was the victim instead of the culprit. My guess is the team didn't like being lied to and cut him as a result.

Here's a tweet from the Cleveland sports AP writer that has a statement from John Dorsey about why they cut Kendricks.

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 pm All that said I base a lot of what I said on the last few times the pats have played the Packers. Tons of dbs and coverage instead of pressure and it seems like Rodgers was not impressive.
Rodgers has only played the Pats once in his career. He threw for 368 yards, 2 TDS, 0 INTs and the Packers won the game.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:59 pm Can't wait until the Bengals lose the AFC title game on a quadruple personal foul.
They will be up for four TDs. The late quadruple personal foul won't even matter.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Joe K wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:12 pm All that said I base a lot of what I said on the last few times the pats have played the Packers. Tons of dbs and coverage instead of pressure and it seems like Rodgers was not impressive.
Rodgers has only played the Pats once in his career. He threw for 368 yards, 2 TDS, 0 INTs and the Packers won the game.

Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Joe K wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:04 pm Rodgers has only played the Pats once in his career.
Peter King weeps.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Can't see videos but it's not a secret that Rodgers holds the ball too long. It's part of what makes him great but it also makes life hard on linemen and wideouts.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Yeah, he's held it "too long", particularly in his younger days, but when you have all day to throw, what is "too long"? It's different for every QB and every team. 2015 Tom Brady playing in Denver had to get it out immediately. 2017 Tom Brady often had all day.

When Brady plays the Steelers and their umbrella coverages, he'll often hold the ball for long periods of time. If the Patriots just dropped a bunch of DBs back against GB and brought little pressure, then how is life all that hard on the OL that only have to block a few guys? Rodgers has plenty of plays where he gets the ball and the ball comes out. If he had to do that exclusively, he's probably going to be able to. In many of these plays, GB linemen are just doubling edge guys and barely breaking a sweat.

If he couldn't process things and get the ball out quick, teams would blitz him relentlessly. I mean, you cited Brett Favre as an example of a guy who depended on athleticism to play QB and he had his best season at age 40.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Basically, doing something because you can and doing something because you have to are different things. Ben Roethlisberger didn't turn into a QB capable of making quick reads until he had to. He's still not elite at it but he's a guy who everybody said would be done when the athleticism goes, but that athleticism has been gone for 5 years now and he's still doing well.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Agree with pretty much all of that. So you say the guy doesnt need his wheels to be the top 5 QB? Ive just wondered why he defaults to rolling and scramble drill type plays. Usually its to hide a weakness but no doubt weve seen him stand in and deliver on time. The question is ability to evolve and change his game to fit his abilities. And yeah he has already done that and will continue. Just can he be the same guy without what makes him who he is.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm Am I wrong to be outraged that the Browns cut Kendricks the day it comes out that he made cash off insider trading - yet the same team kept Manziel on the team after he had smacked his girlfriend around a couple of times (plus drunk driving)?

What a bunch of fucking hypocrites. How much money did Haslam make in nefarious ways?
It's more amusing to me as in it's a typical Browns move. They knew he was part of the investigation when they signed him...they just thought he was a victim.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:36 am Agree with pretty much all of that. So you say the guy doesnt need his wheels to be the top 5 QB? Ive just wondered why he defaults to rolling and scramble drill type plays. Usually its to hide a weakness but no doubt weve seen him stand in and deliver on time. The question is ability to evolve and change his game to fit his abilities. And yeah he has already done that and will continue. Just can he be the same guy without what makes him who he is.

He needs legs, not wheels. He's not sprinting outside like Mike Vick.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

With the news Khalil Mack is is heading to the Bears:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pretty interesting the Bears are taking an "all-in" stance. Understandable to do so while having a QB on a rookie contract, but it is a little peculiar to do it while also having possibly the worst team in their division.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm Pretty interesting the Bears are taking an "all-in" stance. Understandable to do so while having a QB on a rookie contract, but it is a little peculiar to do it while also having possibly the worst team in their division.
Was the defence as bad as the offence last year?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

AJ McCarron a Bear.

So Bills fans have Peterman and a major project to look forward to this year.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

When you factor in the money and the likely results on the field Gruden could end up being the worst coaching hire in NFL history. And that’s saying something.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I hope Aaron Donald doesn't hold out now that he's no longer the highest paid def player ever.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:56 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:42 pm Pretty interesting the Bears are taking an "all-in" stance. Understandable to do so while having a QB on a rookie contract, but it is a little peculiar to do it while also having possibly the worst team in their division.
Was the defence as bad as the offence last year?
No, the defense was okay, but there was minimal playmaking. In addition to being below average on talent alone, the offense was basically playing handcuffed because John Fox is terrified of anything more aggressive than putting two ice cubes in a glass of water.

That said, they added a significant amount of offensive skill position talent (Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, Trey Burton, Anthony Miller in the draft) to give Trubisky weapons and made some minor defensive upgrades before today, along with the coaching staff overhaul. It's not necessarily a "this year or bust" move, but it's more "we're moving to get there in the next couple years". I don't know how reasonable a stance that is in a division with Minnesota and Green Bay.

One of the smarter thoughts I saw on the trade was that, should Trubisky not turn out to be as good as they hope, they will at least have surrounded him with enough talent to hopefully Bortles their way to the playoffs.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:20 pm AJ McCarron a Bear.

A Raider.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:56 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:20 pm AJ McCarron a Bear.

A Raider.
That is correct. The Bills just emailed out their 53-man roster.

I can;t even bear to open it.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You don't really need to rebuild in the NFL. Bottom quarter to top quarter in three years is a certainty for 2-3 teams a year.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:35 pm You don't really need to rebuild in the NFL. Bottom quarter to top quarter in three years is a certainty for 2-3 teams a year.
Excuse me while I drink some hemlock...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:35 pm You don't really need to rebuild in the NFL. Bottom quarter to top quarter in three years is a certainty for 2-3 teams a year.
This is true.

I do wonder if any of this acceleration is due to the GM (Ryan Pace) being on his second coach and needing this one (and to a significant degree, Trubisky, due to the assets traded to get him) to work out to keep his job.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yet, many teams manage to defy the odds and continue suckitude over longer periods of time, eh Pruitt?

And, to Safe's point, a need for results blows up the rebuild process many a time (in all pro sports). But, with Jon Gruden having a ten-year contract and with the team moving to a new town soon, he can afford to write off the present more than most others.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It's that time of year again.

(Substitute Nathan Peterman for EJ Manuel and Zay Jones for Stevie Johnson)

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kind of an anticlimactic end to Paxton Lynch’s career. At least until 30 QBs get hurt and he’s picked off the scrap heap ahead of Kaepernick.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:52 am Kind of an anticlimactic end to Paxton Lynch’s career. At least until 30 QBs get hurt and he’s picked off the scrap heap ahead of Kaepernick.
Cut for Kevin Hogan... you'd think there's no coming back from that.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I don't think it's at all odd to jump at taking a Hall of Fame level talent pass rusher in his prime from a dumb team while you have the cap space to do it.

Here is a list of all the players the Bears have taken in the first round SINCE 1970 who have an argument of being better than Khalil Mack:

Walter Payton
Brian Urlacher

If you want to I guess you could argue for Dan Hampton.

That's it. What are they saving the cap space for anyway, to overpay the next Olivier Vernon?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

As a fan of teams that have constantly blown their first round picks, Ive got to say if you can get a guy of Mack's caliber for 2 first rounders, you have to do it. Draft picks are only as good as the people making the picks.

I still can;t believe that Garoppolo went to the 49ers for a 2nd rounder.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Do great players win Superbowls? Even if he is the best defensive player in the NFC the next 3 years, there is a price you shouldn't pay because of the impact on salaries you can pay to the rest of the team. Between the contract and lack of rookie deals the danger is not being able to fill in with impossible combination of depth and quality.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If I did it right, the only super bowl winner since the 2nd Giants with a cap hit over $15MM was Peyton Manning in Denver.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:32 pm Do great players win Superbowls? Even if he is the best defensive player in the NFC the next 3 years, there is a price you shouldn't pay because of the impact on salaries you can pay to the rest of the team. Between the contract and lack of rookie deals the danger is not being able to fill in with impossible combination of depth and quality.

Great players don't win as many Super Bowls because New England wins all of them (though Brady and Gronkowski are great). Von Miller, the entire Seattle defense, the Steelers had loads of great players in 2008, Terrell Suggs, etc.

Who exactly are they saving this cap space for? Their QB makes peanuts for the next three years. This year alone, 14 teams have QB cap hits over $20,000,000 and they have not found it impossible to fill a roster.

You can spend it on Khalil Mack, or you can use it to sign Olivier Vernon and Janoris Jenkins.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:38 pm If I did it right, the only super bowl winner since the 2nd Giants with a cap hit over $15MM was Peyton Manning in Denver.
You should go by percentage of cap.

2011 Giants: Eli Manning made up 11.6% of the cap

2012 Ravens: Terrell Suggs made up 9.5% of the cap

2013 Seahawks: Zach Miller made up 8% of the cap (not as wtf but still, wtf)

2014 Patriots: Tom Brady made up 10.6%

2015 Broncos: Peyton Manning at 11.6%

2016 Patriots: Brady at 8.6%

2017 Eagles: Alshon Jeffrey at 6%

Donald's cap percentages:

2018: 4.9%

2019: 9%

2020: 13.37%

2021: 14.9%

2022: 11.9%

Some of those cap numbers are probably projections. But if this is a rule, they have two years to win.

In the late 90s, John Elway made up something like 20% of the Broncos salary cap.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not like the money is guaranteed either. Like gunpowder alluded to, this is basically a three-year deal until Trubisky's rookie deal is done. The Rams essentially made the same/similar moves to win now during Goff's rookie deal and got lauded for it.

I'm not accusing anyone here of this mind you, so this is a highly generalized complaint but very few people who call themselves big NFL fans really understand anything about the CBA or how the contracts/cap actually work.