MLS 2018

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: MLS 2018

Post by sancarlos »

Baloney wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:21 am
degenerasian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:16 pm Bayern Munich has signed Alphonse Davies from the Whitecaps for an MLS record 13 million euros.
He will join Bayern after the MLS Season.
The Vancouver coach is big mates with my brother and godfather to one of his boys
Is there an interesting back story to how that came to be?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:48 pm
Baloney wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:21 am
degenerasian wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:16 pm Bayern Munich has signed Alphonse Davies from the Whitecaps for an MLS record 13 million euros.
He will join Bayern after the MLS Season.
The Vancouver coach is big mates with my brother and godfather to one of his boys
Is there an interesting back story to how that came to be?
Same High School
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Great end to DC v. Orlando. Dwyer's goal was nice but Rooney's work on the last goal was fantastic (post game interview made it seem like a wtf was our goalie doing....which he will being doing from the bench starting Wed with Hamid's return). 2 assists MD. Hat trick for Acosta.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I am absolutely sure I have never seen anything like that.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That is one of the greatest goals I have ever seen! Wow!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I find the pinpoint cross field header way greater than the long shot to the goal that beats the goalie (a typical "great goal"). That being said, greatest....not sure....fantastic hustle play...yup...beautiful pass....solid finish.....but...better than Landon's end of game goal? Better than Diego's world cup run? Amazing half volley?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Could that play happen in a better league?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:01 am Could that play happen in a better league?
Sure...nothing league specific about that goal....except in a better league you would have DC and Orlando fighting to hold onto the 1 point to avoid relegation instead of 3 points v. 1 for a long shot playoff hope by DC (which is why DC's keeper is downfield in the first place instead of playing sweeper/keeper).
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:06 am
mister d wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:01 am Could that play happen in a better league?
Sure...nothing league specific about that goal....except in a better league you would have DC and Orlando fighting to hold onto the 1 point to avoid relegation instead of 3 points v. 1 for a long shot playoff hope by DC (which is why DC's keeper is downfield in the first place instead of playing sweeper/keeper).
Agreed, though I also question the quality of the goalkeeping there. He kind of shit the bed. Not fully shit the bed, because that's a tough decision, but he needs to change the sheets.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:10 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:06 am
Agreed, though I also question the quality of the goalkeeping there. He kind of shit the bed. Not fully shit the bed, because that's a tough decision, but he needs to change the sheets.
Oh and in a better league that game is not 2-2 because DC would have not given up a howler first goal...but stuff like that happens in every league (see Tim Weah's from this weekend).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Austin's city council approved the deal with Precourt, so the Crew effectively are gone from Columbus.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:42 pm Austin's city council approved the deal with Precourt, so the Crew effectively are gone from Columbus.
but what about Marky Marky?
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/m ... ors-claim/
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

This guy is good.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Had a blast at the United game on Sunday. I think Bobby Warshaw has it right. Rooney is not playing great soccer but has made everyone around him so much better. Also

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/ ... re-week-25

There are multiple variables at play beyond Rooney’s presence. Mostly, the team is finally playing some home games. We’ve seen teams go on a run in a new stadium like this before. But it’s impossible to ignore Rooney’s significance.
Bobby W wrote: I’d break Rooney’s contribution into three categories:

He’s extremely comfortable on the ball, and that chill becomes contagious. If you made most MLS players 2% calmer on the ball, they’d mostly look like new players.
He pulls the attention of defenders. Because he’s Wayne Rooney. The opposing center backs have to stay closer connected to him, the defensive mid stays closer connected. Space opens up across the field. If you gave 2% more space to most MLS players, they would mostly look like new players.

Infectious arrogance. Rooney showed up to MLS to make the playoffs. It probably doesn’t register in his brain that his team couldn’t make the playoffs. That confidence spreads across the team. All of a sudden, a group goes from feeling like an 11th place team to a playoff force. If you made most MLS players 2% more confident on the field, it would mostly make them look like new players.
I didn’t expect Rooney to make a huge difference for United on the field this year. I assumed D.C. would use 2018 as a rebuilding year to make a run in 2019. But he’s lived up to his billing. Not just because of his contributions. But because of Acostas, Arriolas, Canouses, et al. We expect superstars to make the players around them better. I didn’t listen to much my dad told me when we watched sports on TV, but I heard that much.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is "calm on the ball" a skill level thing or is it from being taught to value avoiding mistakes over making plays? Kovalev just mentioned that about the NHL and I know its an NFL coaching thing so now I'm curious if this is some american sports epidemic.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:04 am Is "calm on the ball" a skill level thing or is it from being taught to value avoiding mistakes over making plays? Kovalev just mentioned that about the NHL and I know its an NFL coaching thing so now I'm curious if this is some american sports epidemic.
It's a coaching/skill level thing that needs to be taught at a very early age. In my experience, the American "style" is just too hyper and that comes from coaching that wants the ball moving too much to wide open players, as opposed to waiting a beat and deciding to dribble or to slip a pass to a cutter.

I think a good analogy is a read-option offense in football. You need a QB that has the patience (and fortitude) to wait a beat to see if a hole opens up for the FB, and if he keeps it, to again be patient seeing what opens up for him, or when to make the pitch to the RB.

Basketball is having a guard that knows just the right moment to pass (or not) on a pick and roll play, or to fake that play and see if the backdoor cutter comes open.

American coaches are (generally) averse to this... They want the ball swinging side to side, even if the opposing team isn't reacting to that movement, because they like passes to wide open players. If you want kids to be comfortable taking players on, or holding the ball in traffic, you have to be comfortable turning the ball over. American coaches are too risk averse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I will say this, I'm old enough that I can say I've seen a VAST improvement at the youth level on this front.

I go watch high school soccer now and it's just night and day from when I played. Now, I'm talking about the better high schools, because there are plenty that play a hyper, Route 1 style that's based solely on athleticism.

But the skill level and the passing of some of the better teams is pretty amazing. And at some of the tournaments I've been to, the elite clubs (dev academies), that shit is bonkers. Those teams are pretty incredible.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:42 pm Austin's city council approved the deal with Precourt, so the Crew effectively are gone from Columbus.
Austin unveils badge, colors, and name.
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/08/ ... n-mls-club
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Clint Dempsey retires...
Clint Dempsey is retiring from both the Seattle Sounders and the United States national team effective immediately, the club announced on Wednesday.

Dempsey, 35, played professionally for 15 years, including seven in the Premier League for Tottenham and Fulham, as well as stints with the New England Revolution and the Sounders in Major League Soccer.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Fucking love that guy.

Funny, but with enough of a fuck you vibe that even when he was on the other side, you had to respect.

One of my all time favorite moments in RFK (and I have a ton) is when he scored for the Revolution and he went over to what was homeplate before the Nationals moved into their stadium and mimicked hitting a homerun. Even the supporters sections had to give him propers for that.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:19 pm Fucking love that guy.

Funny, but with enough of a fuck you vibe that even when he was on the other side, you had to respect.

One of my all time favorite moments in RFK (and I have a ton) is when he scored for the Revolution and he went over to what was homeplate before the Nationals moved into their stadium and mimicked hitting a homerun. Even the supporters sections had to give him propers for that.
Great player, great attitude for a guy on your team, but a hot head. Loved the goal celebrations (Salute).
not so highlights like this one

and this
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So DC is chasing a playoff spot but will miss 9 players due to international duty & Injury. Right now they will have a roster of 15 for the game. NYCFC will miss 4 for international, 1 for cards, and 4 for injuries. Isn't this when you pull in the youngster from your reserve/academy teams?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Fantastic quote from today's Galaxy v. Toronto match
Tensions nearly boiled over on the field before the final whistle when Ibrahimovic and Toronto captain Michael Bradley had what appeared to be an ill-tempered tête-à-tête. Not content with simply creating fireworks on the pitch with his fantastic goal, Ibrahimovic delivered an equally stunning rebuke of Bradley when speaking to the media after the game.

“He thinks he’s a philosopher of football. I have more goals than he has [played] games, so he should follow my rules,” Ibrahimovic said.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Crew appear to be staying in Ohio. Thanks to the Art Modell law and local ownership options stepping up. Precourt now will work on expansion in Austin.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:29 pm Crew appear to be staying in Ohio. Thanks to the Art Modell law and local ownership options stepping up. Precourt now will work on expansion in Austin.
That’s great news.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Agreed, and very surprising too. Maybe the powers that be will come away from this with a better idea of what they are selling. Cause pro soccer in the US really needs the bond between the club and city, in ways that the more established sports don’t.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

FC Cincinnati reveals concept designs for new stadium

http://www.cladglobal.com/CLADnews/arch ... m=facebook
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Well, darn about Crew beating DC in PKs. Fun game. Poor job by the official all night. Just inconsistent and let both teams kick the crap out of each other. But that is not the reason the Crew won.

If you have not seen it, Check out Damir Kreilach going all Daniel Larusso in the RSL v. LAFC game.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

steve sucks boo steve
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 am Well, darn about Crew beating DC in PKs. Fun game. Poor job by the official all night. Just inconsistent and let both teams kick the crap out of each other. But that is not the reason the Crew won.

If you have not seen it, Check out Damir Kreilach going all Daniel Larusso in the RSL v. LAFC game.
The end of that game was bananas.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:50 am NYCFC and the far right
https://theathletic.com/627781/2018/11/ ... g-matches/
Disgusting. Must be rough to be a fan of that team.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've been less invested this year than in the past and that certainly isn't helping draw me back.

(Because I'm upset about how the Nazis are being treated. So much for the 1st amendment and/or the "tolerant left" SMDH.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Good thing the Yankees are only 20% Nazi-sympathizers.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rass stands for Racist And Super Stoked so maybe don't throw stones???
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:36 am steve sucks boo steve
Bring it, NASCAR boy.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.