MLS 2018

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: MLS 2018

Post by Brontoburglar »

IT IS ON NOW
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

lololol now it makes very little sense at the top of a new page
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

One team is backed by foreign oil money and is supported by legit white supremacists. The other is backed by corporate American money and is a masterclass of inoffensive, down the middle branding. What could go wrong?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I just need a team with fewer points than SKC to win the East
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:37 pm I just need a team with fewer points than SKC to win the East
Did you watch last night's game? Was it as boring on TV as it was in person (until about the 70th minute)?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, last night's NYCFC match was a nice example of why I'm having more and more trouble caring. Bad conditions on an already bad field with some stunningly bad play.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I have two sets of Tix to see Atlanta United for the first time. Every employer of size and youth program moving tickets. Might be a few in the house.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:16 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:37 pm I just need a team with fewer points than SKC to win the East
Did you watch last night's game? Was it as boring on TV as it was in person (until about the 70th minute)?
It was not a thriller for the first two thirds. the first half was sluggish and SKC really should have capitalized on that. at least they have the away goal
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:56 pm Yeah, last night's NYCFC match was a nice example of why I'm having more and more trouble caring. Bad conditions on an already bad field with some stunningly bad play.
The field and conditions were fine, and RSL has generally been a fun team to watch. But for the first 70 minutes last night they were basically unable to get the ball through the midfield, so they had no attacking. They had one shot on goal - luckily it went in.

The last twenty minutes were fun though. Both teams were knocking on the other team's door.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:08 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:16 pm
It was not a thriller for the first two thirds. the first half was sluggish and SKC really should have capitalized on that. at least they have the away goal
SKC was attacking the goal on the opposite end of the field from me - but it sure looked like they had some good chances from real close that didn't go in.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sounders-Timbers 2nd Leg game was absolutely bonkers last night. Sounders were down 2-1 (with the away goal) after the first leg, then:

- Sounders take the lead 1-0 midway through the 2nd half
- Timbers score thanks to some shoddy defending in the 78th minute
- Stefan Frei makes a great save in stoppage them, leading to a counter attack with Ruidiaz scoring at 90+3' to send it into overtime.
<this is when we left the bar we were watching at and caught the rest at home>

- Timbers score early in the extra time.
- Sounders score to tie it up again on a PK after a blatant handball in the box.
- Sounders apparently take the lead again, but the goal is disallowed on a correct handball call
- At the end of the extra time, Timbers players celebrate, thinking they had won based on the Away Goals tiebreaker (2-1 for the Timbers), not realizing that the Away Goals tiebreaker doesn't apply when the game goes into Extra Time.
- Timbers take the lead in the PK's thanks to a Will Bruin shot that hits the post, and a super weak Ozzie Alonzo PK that gets saved.
- Frei makes a save on the Timbers 4th PK to keep the Sounders alive
- Sounders send up a 21 yo rookie, who buries his shot to keep the shootout going.
- Frei gets a hand on the 5th Timbers PK, but can't save it and the Timbers win.

Some thoughts:
- Even though he is 500 years old, the Sounders really missed Chad Marshal in the back, especially on set pieces. They had something like 15 corner kicks, and did nothing with them.
- Lodeiro, their best penalty taker, never got a chance in the PK's for some reason. I'm sure he would have been the 5th to go, but he never got a chance. Reminded me of some game (in the Champions League maybe? Or maybe the World Cup? Euros?) with the same thing happening with Ronaldo.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 pm... the Away Goals tiebreaker doesn't apply when the game goes into Extra Time.
I'm glad they are doing that. I can't remember precisely, but I think Inter Milan lost to AC Milan in a Champions League semifinal on away goals during extra time.

Which was really weird because they both play in the same stadium.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:40 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 pm... the Away Goals tiebreaker doesn't apply when the game goes into Extra Time.
I'm glad they are doing that. I can't remember precisely, but I think Inter Milan lost to AC Milan in a Champions League semifinal on away goals during extra time.

Which was really weird because they both play in the same stadium.
It does make sense, and the announcers made sure to let the audience know. But it was hilarious to watch some of the Timbers players drop to their knees in elation, and whip off their shirts, only to be told that 'Hey...no shirt, no penalty kick'.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Tata is going to coach Mexico and Club Tijuana is hiring Pareja from FC Dallas (which has a great player development reputation). Bummer on both of these.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Us national team just never gonna hire a coach, huh?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:09 am Us national team just never gonna hire a coach, huh?
Saw something this morning that Gregg Berhalter is not a shoe in for the job. Still the leader but the Crew are not sure he is gone and some other MLS teams are sniffing around at his availability. The thought is that the announcement will happen in December so the January camp is the first go around with the new coach.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So Zach Steffen to Man City for 7 to 10 million plus crew still have some further ownership. Will be Peps new backup as Bravo got hurt. Don't see him beating our the Brazilian for the starting spot but good for him.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Serious question...would they be able to park him at NYC? That seems like it would be a big fuck you to both Steffen and Johnson, but it makes more sense than playing him in friendlies and the FA Cup
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I assume he’d be the #2 this year then loaned out next year. Girona maybe?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

WaPo Soccer Insider saying Ian Harkes will be let go by DC United. Could not even get on the bench most of the 2nd half of the year. Team likes him, but he is just stuck behind too many better South American players.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My wife's new hospital is on the new Dynamo jerseys.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is the worst day of my (MLS fan) life.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:02 pm My wife's new hospital is on the new Dynamo jerseys.

So you guys are staying in Houston?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:18 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:02 pm My wife's new hospital is on the new Dynamo jerseys.

So you guys are staying in Houston?
We still don't know for sure. The hospital in Colorado e-mailed her yesterday saying they'll be in touch soon with travel arrangements to go up there and meet the head honcho of their group. It's sounding pretty promising. She first heard from them the day after she accepted her new position, but she's in her fifth week there now. It'll still be an awkward convo to have if she ends up getting this job, so she's not minding it taking a little longer, but we both really want it to happen. I'm overwhelmed and stressed the fuck out at work right now and the thought of working from home and giving my life 90-150 minutes a day back sounds so unreal amazing at the moment. Plus the 12-minute Uber rides to shows from where we're looking at renting.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Hell.of a strike
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I saw the highlight of Portland's goal to beat KC last night. What a horrific gaffe by the KC defender. How did he let Valeri so far behind him? And I'm sure he was gassed at that point, but he's gotta catch back up and try to slow him down...or, being cynical, take him down.

And since I didn't see the game...why was there so much injury time at the end of the second half? To lost in the 9th minute of stoppage time is gutting.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Atlanta is going to pack the Benz for the final....and the in stadium chic-fil-a will be open because it is a Saturday night game.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Atlanta getting ready for the cup final on Saturday and a coach for next year in the same week.
SBI wrote:According to Argentinian news outlet TYC Sports, Atlanta brass, including president Darren Eales and sporting director Carlos Bocanegra, are in Argentina to negotiate with former MLS MVP and current Boca Juniors manager Guillermo Barros Schelotto as a replacement for Martino.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Almiron from Atlanta to Newcastle
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

It's looking more likely the Crew are staying in Columbus. The investor group trying to buy the Crew from Precourt Sports Ventures is committing $230 million to build a new stadium in the Columbus Arena district. The 33-acre site would include the stadium, mixed-use development and a public park along the Olentangy River. The investor group consist of Jimmy and Dee Haslam and the Edwards family, which includes the Crew's physician.

MLS set a December 31 deadline for the new ownership to buy the team from PSV.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sabo wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:39 pm It's looking more likely the Crew are staying in Columbus. The investor group trying to buy the Crew from Precourt Sports Ventures is committing $230 million to build a new stadium in the Columbus Arena district. The 33-acre site would include the stadium, mixed-use development and a public park along the Olentangy River. The investor group consist of Jimmy and Dee Haslam and the Edwards family, which includes the Crew's physician.

MLS set a December 31 deadline for the new ownership to buy the team from PSV.
Plus you get Bruce Arena as the GM....
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

FC Cincinnati's list to pick from
ATLANTA UNITED
Mikey Ambrose, Jon Gallagher, Jose Hernandez, Mitch Hildebrandt, Alec Kann, Kevin Kratz, Jeff Larentowicz, Chris McCann, Michael Parkhurst (Free Agent), Oliver Shannon, Brandon Vazquez, Andrew Wheeler-Omiunu, Romario Williams, Sal Zizzo (Free Agent)

CHICAGO FIRE
Jonathan Campbell, Stefan Cleveland, Elliot Collier, Jorge Corrales, Christian Dean, Nicolas Del Grecco, Alan Gordon (Free Agent), Nicolas Hasler, Daniel Johnson, Patrick McLain, Yura Movsisyan, Richard Sanchez, Luis Solignac, Brandon Vincent

COLORADO RAPIDS
Giles Barnes, Johan Blomberg, Yannick Boli, Caleb Calvert, Edgar Castillo, Kip Colvey, Mike Da Fonte, Andrew Dykstra (Free Agent), Shkelzen Gashi, Sam Hamilton, Enzo Martinez, Axel Sjoberg, Danny Wilson

D.C. UNITED
Vytas, Frederic Brillant, Nick DeLeon, Kevin Ellis, Jared Jeffrey, Dane Kelly, Taylor Kemp, Darren Mattocks, Bruno Miranda, Chris Odoi-Atsem, Kofi Opare, David Ousted, Zoltan Stieber, Travis Worra

FC DALLAS
Abel Aguilar, Aníbal Chala, Cristian Colman, Maynor Figueroa, Moises Hernandez, Roland Lamah, Marquinhos Pedroso, Adonijah Reid, Reto Ziegler, Kyle Zobeck

HOUSTON DYNAMO
Eric Alexander, Arturo Alvarez (Free Agent), DaMarcus Beasley (Free Agent), Eric Bird, Leonardo (Free Agent), Conor Donovan, Boniek García, Kevin Garcia, Luis Gil, Adolfo Machado, Michael Nelson, Dylan Remick, Chris Seitz, Philippe Senderos, Mac Steeves, Jared Watts, Andrew Wenger

LOS ANGELES FC
Steven Beitashour, Tristan Blackmon, Nico Czornomaz, Danilo da Silva, Benny Feilhaber (Free Agent), Jordan Harvey (Free Agent), Dejan Jakovic, Luis Lopez, Charlie Lyon, Calum Mallace, James Murphy, Josh Perez, Quillan Roberts, Steeve Saint-Duc, Marco Ureña

LA GALAXY
Servando Carrasco, Michael Ciani, Ashley Cole, Tomas Hilliard-Arce, Baggio Husidic (Free Agent), Perry Kitchen, Ariel Lassiter, João Pedro, Chris Pontius, Jorgen Skjelvik, Brian Sylvestre, Justin Vom Steeg, Sheanon Williams (Free Agent)

MINNESOTA UNITED FC
Fernando Bob, Marc Burch (Free Agent), Sam Cronin, Luiz Fernando Maximiniano, Alexi Gomez, Ibson, Alex Kapp, Matt Lampson, Carter Manley, Eric Miller, Wyatt Omsberg, Bertrand Owundi, Frantz Pangop, Jerome Thiesson, Johan Venegas, Collen Warner (Free Agent)

MONTREAL IMPACT
Quincy Amarikwa (Free Agent), Micheal Azira, Rudy Camacho, Zakaria Diallo, Clement Diop, Chris Duvall, Rod Fanni, Kyle Fisher, Anthony Jackson-Hamel, Matteo Mancosu, Michael Petrasso, Bacary Sagna, Michael Salazar

NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION
Jalil Anibaba, Cody Cropper, Claude Dielna, Guillermo Hauche, Femi Hollinger-Janzen, Brad Knighton, Cristhian Machado, Nicolas Samayoa, Mark Segbers, Gabriel Somi, Chris Tierney (Free Agent), Brian Wright, Wilfried Zahibo

NEW YORK CITY FC
Saad Abdul-Salaam, Eloi Amagat, Kwame Awuah, Daniel Bedoya, Jo Inge Berget, Jeff Caldwell, Yangel Herrera, Cedric Hountondji, Sebastien Ibeagha, Thomas McNamara, Ebenezer Ofori, Andre Rawls, Brad Stuver, David Villa, Rodney Wallace (Free Agent)

NEW YORK RED BULLS
Anatole Abang, Vincent Bezecourt, Aurelien Collin (Free Agent), Kyle Duncan, Fidel Escobar, Andreas Ivan, Ethan Kutler, Connor Lade, Hassan Ndam, Tommy Redding, Carlos Rivas, Marc Rzatkowski, Florian Valot, Brian White

ORLANDO CITY SC
RJ Allen, Joe Bendik, Pierre Da Silva, Earl Edwards Jr., Cristian Higuita, Will Johnson, Sacha Kljestan, Richie Laryea, Stefano Pinho, Dillon Powers, Tony Rocha, Lamine Sané, Chris Schuler (Free Agent), Jonathan Spector, Scott Sutter, Donny Toia

PHILADELPHIA UNION
Warren Creavalle, Borek Dockal, Marcus Epps, Fabinho, Richard Marquez, John McCarthy, Jake McGuire, Haris Medunjanin, Kacper Przybyłko, Jay Simpson, Josh Yaro

PORTLAND TIMBERS
Victor Arboleda, Samuel Armenteros, Dairon Asprilla, Jack Barmby, Julio Cascante, Steve Clark, Tomas Conechny, Andres Flores, Jake Gleeson (Free Agent), Modou Jadama, Kendall McIntosh, Roy Miller (Free Agent), Lawrence Olum, Alvas Powell, Liam Ridgewell, Bill Tuiloma, Zarek Valentin

REAL SALT LAKE
Jordan Allen, Shawn Barry, Tony Beltran (Free Agent), Nick Besler, Adam Henley, David Horst (Free Agent), Alex Horwath, Jacob Leeker, Ricky López-Espin, Luke Mulholland, Sunday Stephen, Taylor Peay, Demar Phillips, Andrew Putna, Luis Silva, Connor Sparrow

VANCOUVER WHITECAPS FC
Jose Aja, Myer Bevan, Marcel de Jong, Roberto Dominguez, Marvin Emnes, Sean Franklin (Free Agent), Aly Ghazal, Efrain Juarez, Kei Kamara, Stefan Marinovic, Aaron Maund, Jordon Mutch, Brian Rowe, Brek Shea (Free Agent)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Good offseason stuff during the post cup window
Caleb Porter to take over galaxy
Gonzalo “Pity” Martinez to Atlanta from River Plate
Expect a few more deals this week as teams line up for next year.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Are the Crew exempt from exposing players from the expansion draft?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anyone who lost someone to LAFC.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am Anyone who lost someone to LAFC.
Thanks. Wasn't aware of that.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Has this thread been marked NSFW?

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So who is on your potential list for FC Cinn?
DeLeon, Mattocks (won't be on DC next year anyway), Stieber
Parkhurst from Atlanta seems like a good one..but Atlanta wants to resign him
Dykstra
Seitz for the goal? But feels like you can get a decent goalie without spending much or using a pick
Jakovic
Powers, Kljestan or Spector (feels like Orlando needs to restart and these guys would benefit from a change in location)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:32 am So who is on your potential list for FC Cinn?
DeLeon, Mattocks (won't be on DC next year anyway), Stieber
Parkhurst from Atlanta seems like a good one..but Atlanta wants to resign him
Dykstra
Seitz for the goal? But feels like you can get a decent goalie without spending much or using a pick
Jakovic
Powers, Kljestan or Spector (feels like Orlando needs to restart and these guys would benefit from a change in location)
Parkhurst can opt for FA I believe if he were selected, so I don't think they will look that way.