Super Bowl LII thread - Eagles vs Pats II - Backup Boogaloo

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Super Bowl LII thread - Eagles vs Pats II - Backup Boogaloo

Post by Pruitt »

Mazel Tov to the Eagles fans!

Funny thing - Mike Lombardi is Bill Simmons' resident NFL Insider expert despite the fact that he fucked up in Cleveland and lasted less than 2 years as an "Assistant to the Coaching Staff."

He spent much of last season and a part of this season - at least until they were 6-1 or so - saying what a fraud of a coach Pederson is. Thinking about that tonight while watching the Eagles shred the Pats defence repeatedly.

Great game, great coaching - and that TD pass to Foles will live in NFL history.

Hope Lions fans are psyched for the start of the Patricia era.

And yeah - with the arrival of Romo as a commentator, Collinsworth suddenly sounds like a complete idiot at times.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Other than representing a group of human beings who somehow speak like they do, this is exactly the kind of team and performance I don’t mind losing to.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Great game.

Congrats Eagles fans.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Ryan, Rush, and Jhonny. Hell of a game.

TTB, J-Hip, parade is this week.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:46 pmFunny thing - Mike Lombardi is Bill Simmons' resident NFL Insider expert despite the fact that he fucked up in Cleveland and lasted less than 2 years as an "Assistant to the Coaching Staff."

He spent much of last season and a part of this season - at least until they were 6-1 or so - saying what a fraud of a coach Pederson is. Thinking about that tonight while watching the Eagles shred the Pats defence repeatedly.
And he frequently has Belichick's cock in his mouth.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:59 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:46 pmFunny thing - Mike Lombardi is Bill Simmons' resident NFL Insider expert despite the fact that he fucked up in Cleveland and lasted less than 2 years as an "Assistant to the Coaching Staff."

And he frequently has Belichick's cock in his mouth.
Unlike others here, I like Simmons - probably because I only listen to him when he is on with Cousin Sal.

But his love of Mike Lombardi and his moronic aphorisms and references to old movies is mind boggling. Guy should have "Barkevious Mingo" tattooed on his forehead.

And man, that was a great game tonight.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

nth-ing great game.

MVP should have been the security guard who cockblocked Kevin Hart from the presentation stage.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You could probably make legitimate, cogent arguments for Brady being both 8-0 or 0-8 in Super Bowls.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Can’t even gather my thoughts. But I’m numb as shit!
oh shit...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Butler not playing at all is terrible. I hope Belichick gets raked over the coals for that. Inexcusable to bench a dude who made the pick of all picks in SB49 and shows up in big game situations. They gave up 41 points! The offense showed up. Over 500 yards from Brady. Over 600 yards of total offense. No punts. Keeping Butler off the field is awful. I feel for the guy.

Gronk is weighing his options as to whether to return or not. I don't blame him. He's played in 4 Super Bowls, made money, had a ton of fun, and is widely beloved by basically everyone. (That angry cheap shot earlier this year not withstanding.) Plus he caught Tom Brady's 69th career postseason TD pass. Noice.

Lastly, AFN is not allowed to show commercials because the broadcasts of tv shows and live sporting events are donated so selling air time during the broadcast is no bueno. As such, I missed this magnificence until I scrolled Instagram:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

One of the most enjoyable games to watch as a neutral in a long long time. Big dick Nick is something else. He looked as poised as any QB I've ever seen in that situation. Remarkable that they won that game given the Pats only turned the ball over once, and never punted. To have to keep coming knowing that you basically had to hang points every drive...
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

World Fucking Champions!!!!!
oh shit...
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

One of the more enjoyable SB watches in recent memory. Watched with a bunch of Pats fans and watching them live and die on every play was great. My buddy called it like it was though. He had said from the beginning of the season playoff wins from the Pats would be gravy because their defense was so bad.

I loved watching the Pats lose, but Brady played an incredible game. Bad decision on the sack/fumble but what more do you want from the guy? He's gonna go down in this one as giving up the ball and not making that catch up the sideline when NF caught the one they threw to him, but he played a phenomenal game up and down.

I want more info on Butler and to get the general reaction from Pats fans to see if there's anything Bill can do to lean them against him and that "Patriot Way" bullshit. Watch it come out that he was 5 minutes late to a meeting on Tuesday or some shit.

Congrats Iggles fans! You managed to make football kind of interesting this year.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Malcolm Butler dealie remains absolutely incomprehensible to me.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Me too other than to note that butler hasn't been great in the air for a while. Willing tackler and good as the play goes to the ground. Seemed like he knew where to be and continuity is a big deal on the back end if nothing else. That would be my guess though. Probably gambled too much looking for another SB moment. All the sudden Gilmore looks spot on though. Looked like zero love list between him and Jeffery.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

0% chance this one was based solely on strategy. They moved their entire secondary around in the middle of the Seahawks game because a guy with zero career catches was lighting it up.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:25 am The Malcolm Butler dealie remains absolutely incomprehensible to me.
I love it. Just imagine the reaction to any other coach taking a player who played 98% of snaps and nailing them to the bench.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:52 pm I doubt Gronk legitimately passed the concussion protocols but whatevs.
Insert: How could any Dr. tell with Gronk joke or U of Arizona joke.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 am
tennbengal wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:25 am The Malcolm Butler dealie remains absolutely incomprehensible to me.
I love it. Just imagine the reaction to any other coach taking a player who played 98% of snaps and nailing them to the bench.
Especially considering how badly the entire defence was playing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:59 pm Tips are always appreciated.
beer's on me
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 am
You don't really even have to imagine it. Just look at Tomlin and James Harrison.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 am One of the more enjoyable SB watches in recent memory. Watched with a bunch of Pats fans and watching them live and die on every play was great. My buddy called it like it was though. He had said from the beginning of the season playoff wins from the Pats would be gravy because their defense was so bad.

I loved watching the Pats lose, but Brady played an incredible game. Bad decision on the sack/fumble but what more do you want from the guy? He's gonna go down in this one as giving up the ball and not making that catch up the sideline when NF caught the one they threw to him, but he played a phenomenal game up and down.

I want more info on Butler and to get the general reaction from Pats fans to see if there's anything Bill can do to lean them against him and that "Patriot Way" bullshit. Watch it come out that he was 5 minutes late to a meeting on Tuesday or some shit.

Congrats Iggles fans! You managed to make football kind of interesting this year.

I thought Brady was throwing ducks all over the field and was saved by the Eagles inexplicably playing a Cover 1 straight out of Dick LeBeau's anti-Tebow playbook.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:29 am
BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 am One of the more enjoyable SB watches in recent memory. Watched with a bunch of Pats fans and watching them live and die on every play was great. My buddy called it like it was though. He had said from the beginning of the season playoff wins from the Pats would be gravy because their defense was so bad.

I thought Brady was throwing ducks all over the field and was saved by the Eagles inexplicably playing a Cover 1 straight out of Dick LeBeau's anti-Tebow playbook.
Eh, even if the defense is up there, he wasn't touched until the 4th quarter and threw for 500+ yards. Wasn't an accident.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

have the Browns made an offer for Foles yet?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:05 pmMVP should have been the security guard who cockblocked Kevin Hart from the presentation stage.
That guy is the head of security for the 49ers.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Someone figure out how to word a 4foot9ers joke?
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:38 am
Johnny Carwash wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:05 pmMVP should have been the security guard who cockblocked Kevin Hart from the presentation stage.
That guy is the head of security for the 49ers.
So his job this year has been forcing people into the stadium?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Square Rob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:29 am One of the most enjoyable games to watch as a neutral in a long long time. Big dick Nick is something else. He looked as poised as any QB I've ever seen in that situation. Remarkable that they won that game given the Pats only turned the ball over once, and never punted. To have to keep coming knowing that you basically had to hang points every drive...
I was waiting for him to fuck it all up and he just never did. Was amazing.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:32 am
Gunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:29 am

Eh, even if the defense is up there, he wasn't touched until the 4th quarter and threw for 500+ yards. Wasn't an accident.
His pocket work was great but I still can't believe the Eagles gave up so many yards to a guy that was struggling to throw.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:59 amI was waiting for him to fuck it all up and he just never did. Was amazing.
I was watching with two Patriots fans and they were convinced every pending play was going to be the Pick 6.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Neither team was able to get much of a serious pass rush going (until Graham forced that fumble on Brady) and that makes a big difference too. Both Brady and Foles looked comfortable the entire game even if Brady's passes were all over the place. I'm not sure he was even touched in the first three quarters.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hmm...

eta:
SB Nation wrote:After the game, former Patriots cornerback Brandon Browner wrote a post bashing Bill Belichick for sitting Butler.

The post was liked by Dont’a Hightower, Jamie Collins, and Alfonzo Dennard, all former Patriots:
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

To be fair, one of those guys is a current Patriot oh that probably doesn't help does it

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

You have to love the picture they paired with that headline.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Can you imagine say a Cris Collinsworth possessing the temerity and wherewithal to say something like this (play is Brady being strip-sacked late in 4Q)..
Gerard Whateley, Aussie radio broadcast wrote: “The script is flipped! Tom Brady: bereft on the turf! It has lit-rully been RIPPED from his grahsp!”
Those were the chosen words coming out of Gerard Whateley’s head in real time. He chose words that possessed both literal and figurative meanings.

Impressive, to say the least.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Word that in addition to missing curfew, Butler was found in possession of pot and blew up on the coaches when confronted.

Would have been nice to have him trying to make that stop in the 4th that Baldemosi wiffed on, but Butler hasn't exactly been a world beater this year. Rowe didn't play all that badly, but I would have like to see the switch on Jeffery come a tad sooner. Gilmore basically shut him down.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't understand why they dressed him then. You can only field 46 players, so why did they waste a roster spot on a guy they knew wasn't going to play?