Super Bowl LII thread - Eagles vs Pats II - Backup Boogaloo

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Super Bowl LII thread - Eagles vs Pats II - Backup Boogaloo

Post by L-Jam3 »

Because since you're a Patriots fan, NFL history didn't start until February 3, 2002.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:12 am
brian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:35 am This might sound weird but I legit don’t care about this game. That’s not a take. Not sure if I’ve ever felt that way about a Super Bowl (maybe the Indy/Chicago one).
Stunning statement considering where you live!

Nah, I know what you mean - this one doesn't excite me much. But that's why there's gambling. Basically cleaning up all debts and credits from the football season with my buddies by doing the "double or nothing" on this game. (talking the low, low three figures in total.)

Took the Eagles and the under.
I’m less enthused about this year’s game for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I’m more convinced on the outcome than I have been in years. I really think the Eagles offense we saw in the divisional round is what we’ll see on Sunday, and there’s just no way 13-17 points will be enough to win. I’ll say Patriots 27-16 for the final score and by mid-second quarter lots of people will be cursing themselves for betting on Foles.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Joe K wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:00 am
Pruitt wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:12 am
brian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:35 am This might sound weird but I legit don’t care about this game. That’s not a take. Not sure if I’ve ever felt that way about a Super Bowl (maybe the Indy/Chicago one).
Stunning statement considering where you live!

Nah, I know what you mean - this one doesn't excite me much. But that's why there's gambling. Basically cleaning up all debts and credits from the football season with my buddies by doing the "double or nothing" on this game. (talking the low, low three figures in total.)

Took the Eagles and the under.
I’m less enthused about this year’s game for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I’m more convinced on the outcome than I have been in years. I really think the Eagles offense we saw in the divisional round is what we’ll see on Sunday, and there’s just no way 13-17 points will be enough to win. I’ll say Patriots 27-16 for the final score and by mid-second quarter lots of people will be cursing themselves for betting on Foles.
The only bit of football I've watched all season was the last 5 minutes of the Vikings/Saints game at my friend's bar after a day of skiing. So I'll be sitting out this year. I don't think I could watch the Brady/Bellichek slurp-fest (and hey...when are people going to start wondering what kind of Elephant steroids/HGH that Brady's quack doctor is pumping it his bloodstream?) without wanting to put my foot through the TV screen.

So I'll be taking my GF and my daughters to see 'Lady Bird' instead.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I've stayed quiet the last couple weeks because I've been merely enjoying the ride. Just a couple of thoughts:

1. This feels totally different than 2004. Back then, at least with me, it was actually a lot more stressful. There was the whole T.O. situation whether he was going to play or not. More importantly, the Drought was still there, and there seemed to be more pressure as a fan anticipating the game. This sounds nuts, but I'm actually pretty relaxed about this.

2. Win or lose, this year was definitely my favorite Eagles season to follow, mainly because there weren't high expectations beginning of the year. Wild Card contender or possible division title, but they seemed a little bit away from the mountain. This group, however seems like a much more likable group of guys. As much as I liked McNabb, he always had an aloofness to him. I don't see this with Wentz. Also with this political age the more outspoken players such as Malcolm Jenkins and Chris Long are real bright spots. And they seem like they are really having fun with one another. Before my favorite seasons were 1991 and 2006 (also, maybe coincidentally the same years the QBs blew their ACLs). Maybe I just like the underdog aspect.

3. Also maybe is because this is the first sports season that both my kids would remember with the team being good. They are 7 and almost 10, and we got a chance to watch a lot of games together right before Sunday Gravy. Although this would've been my scheduled weekend with them, their mother has them because she is having a birthday party for him on Sunday early afternoon at a Trampoline place that she booked a few months ago. I really hope she lets them stay up.

4. I'm no fool. If my mortgage depended on it, of course I think New England is going to win. But the Eagles definitely have at least a puncher's chance. The real way it's going to turn is that the Eagles can keep rotating their front four and stay fresh. The biggest worry is how they can defend the middle passing game, Gronk obviously.

5. It feels really strange to hear many in the public rooting for the Eagles. This doesn't make sense to me. I get everyone likes an underdog story and New England is the Evil Empire. It's just weird to me to be the target of the adulation.

6. Thankfully I will have some plans to break up the day. I'll be at Wells Fargo in the early afternoon for the Nova game against Seton Hall, hanging with some old fraternity brothers coming down to make the trip. Then it's a drive back to make some Italian-style olive oil and garlic baked wings. I don't see me pacing up and down for four hours like last time they were in the big one. If it's close I'll probably be glued, and by 10 pm or so I'll either be likely slightly disappointed due to New England controlling the game or borderline orgasmic. Like I said, I'm expecting the former, but hoping the latter.

Go Birds. And fuck Jhonnie.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

What's more obnoxious than Patriots fans? Cowboys fans rooting for the Patriots. LOL.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm
Go Birds. And fuck Jhonnie.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I feel good about the under.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

10-4 thank you for your service support the troops
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tips are always appreciated.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:15 pm I feel good about the under.
Just saw this online.
The over comes in as the favorite at -180, according to SportsLine, while the under has decent odds at +140.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Go Eagles!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 am Because since you're a Patriots fan, NFL history didn't start until February 3, 2002.
Fuck u for that. We suffered through a lot of losing to have this so fuck u again.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The no Super Bowl Parcells era : (
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:49 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 am Because since you're a Patriots fan, NFL history didn't start until February 3, 2002.
Fuck u for that. We suffered through a lot of losing to have this so fuck u again.
the martyr complex against a fan of a team who has never won a title is peak Patriot fan
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not Citgo, but the prevailing mindset of Boston fans is in the neighborhood of "its so unfair that all these people I'm taunting about our titles hate us".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Dawkins in the Hall combined with an Eagles win may be a weekend that will never be topped for me. Short of hitting a nine-figure Saturday night PowerBall lottery.
oh shit...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if you got to punch a police horse with no ramifications?
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Not my speed. Don’t climb poles either.
oh shit...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:53 am Brady leading the league in passing yards and winning the MVP for the season, but losing the Super Bowl, makes total sense to me.
Oh, and I forgot too...the Madden curse.

Watch, Brady gets injured. Eagles roll. Philadelphia burns to the ground.

Edit.

Needless to say, I have a bad feeling about this. But I have to ride the high I got today by figuratively pulling an airplane out of my ass to get a couple colonels intra-theater airlift.

They walked into my office and said "Is there anyway you can make a miracle happen?" And then I kinda did. I felt like Token in the South Park episode when he plays a bass guitar flawlessly and was completely surprised with himself.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Since the HOF vote is during Superbowl weekend, I'll put this post here. TO was always near the top of the list of polarizing, widely despised athletes who I was always willing to defend. So I was glad to see him voted in yesterday. And then when I saw that he roasted Jason Whitlock within minutes of getting elected, it made it even better.

Hopefully TO stays in character and mocks Ray Lewis's dance again during induction weekend.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ha. Fuck yea. Go, T.O.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that tweet set off some texts last night. Whitlock was just begging to get a column out of it and Owens went PG and ruined everything.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:59 pm Tips are always appreciated.
I assume/hope the Prince hologram rumors are something someone made entertain themselves this weekend?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:08 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:59 pm Tips are always appreciated.
I assume/hope the Prince hologram rumors are something someone made entertain themselves this weekend?

The good news is you can get a J-Tea cocktail at the stadium for $35.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah. So was that frantic backpedaling or what?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:59 am Since the HOF vote is during Superbowl weekend, I'll put this post here. TO was always near the top of the list of polarizing, widely despised athletes who I was always willing to defend. So I was glad to see him voted in yesterday. And then when I saw that he roasted Jason Whitlock within minutes of getting elected, it made it even better.

Hopefully TO stays in character and mocks Ray Lewis's dance again during induction weekend.
Just looked up "Kick Rocks" on the old urban dictionary. Nice burn!

Hated him as a personality, but even near the end of his career in Buffalo, the guy was amazing to watch.

Hard to argue with any of the 8 choices except for Kramer. Just because it took so long. But I never saw him play, and loved his book as a kid.

Robert Brazile was a beast, and the last LB from the 70s all decade team (1st and 2nd team) to make the hall.
Last edited by Pruitt on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I always had him on the A-Rod list of guys who were treated as actually bad people but were probably closer to personality disorder.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:43 pm I always had him on the A-Rod list of guys who were treated as actually bad people but were probably closer to personality disorder.
I think this is absolutely true. TO had a very difficult childhood. He was raised by an extremely stern grandmother and was bullied by other kids well into his adolescence. Between that, and playing at a small college program, he was clearly insecure and had a major chip on his shoulder. But he was a fantastic player who consistently played hard once the games started. I was a big 49ers fan when I was younger and always loved watching the guy play.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And fuck the pats.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:31 pm Yeah. So was that frantic backpedaling or what?
From what I understand, TMZ was the source on the hologram story. What percentage of their stuff is right?

(I assure you, the content of the show has not changed.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:57 pmThe good news is you can get a J-Tea cocktail at the stadium for $35.
All the concession prices are bonkers.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh, when they have a cut to troops at a downrange location standing at attention in a tent during the anthem, please roll your eyes for me. I'll be doing it too.

#ThankYouForYourService
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh yea, too many voodoo curse thingies against the Pats.

Eagles, 27-21.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Same score as Jhonnie, flip the teams.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:57 pmThe good news is you can get a J-Tea cocktail at the stadium for $35.
I really enjoy how they have the calorie counts on the signs next to the prices. Like anyone will say, "I was going to go with the tenders and fries, even at $13, but the 1,070 calories turned me off."

ETA: I am very interested in the prices next year at the stadium with the most reasonable concession prices in the free world (Atlanta). Hot dog for $2, chicken tender basket for $6, 12 ounce Bid Light for $5.
Last edited by DSafetyGuy on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:27 pm
There are plenty of other batteries in the lower level that can be acquired easily.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:24 pm Same score as Jhonnie, flip the teams.
I see what you're doing and it will work.

Also, watching tonight on AFN. Donald Trump was just on thanking us for our service. I miss the commercials because of the non profit status.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:25 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:02 pm
I really enjoy how they have the calorie counts on the signs next to the prices. Like anyone will say, "I was going to go with the tenders and fries, even at $13, but the 1,070 calories turned me off."

ETA: I am very interested in the prices next year at the stadium with the most reasonable concession prices in the free world (Atlanta). Hot dog for $2, chicken tender basket for $6, 12 ounce Bid Light for $5.
Laugh if you want but that actually works on people (like me) who aren’t rearlly skinny.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I doubt Gronk legitimately passed the concussion protocols but whatevs.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!