Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - NONLINEAR (98th)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Avett Brothers - I and Love and You

I don't have a huge write up on this album. I just absolutely need it in my cabin. I know that Avett Brother purists will likely cringe, because this is by far their most mainstream offering. I don't fucking care, this is just a beautiful album and I've literally spent a weekend in a cabin in West Virginia and another time in the Smoky Mountains where this was in heavy rotation, and it's fucking perfect.

You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - TURDRYAN (90th + 91st)

Post by Rush2112 »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:50 pmNo problem man.
Quit it now.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:17 pm Avett Brothers - I and Love and You

I don't have a huge write up on this album. I just absolutely need it in my cabin. I know that Avett Brother purists will likely cringe, because this is by far their most mainstream offering. I don't fucking care, this is just a beautiful album and I've literally spent a weekend in a cabin in West Virginia and another time in the Smoky Mountains where this was in heavy rotation, and it's fucking perfect.

It is fucking perfect, and was on my list. I may have gone Emotionalism over this one, but I can't argue you picking this.

ETA - and go watch May It Last. It's great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

When did Mama Fratelli play for the Decatur Staleys?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - RUSH (99th)

Post by sancarlos »

I honestly didn't know that Enoch Root and I shared so many tastes. I still play that Jayhawks regularly.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:17 pm Avett Brothers - I and Love and You

Ah yes. A very fine pick!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:18 pm I honestly didn't know that Enoch Root and I shared so many tastes. I still play that Jayhawks regularly.
I’m a huge fan of Americana (pretty much everything except anything touched by Ryan Adams & Rhett Miller, anyway).
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:29 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:18 pm I honestly didn't know that Enoch Root and I shared so many tastes. I still play that Jayhawks regularly.
I’m a huge fan of Americana (pretty much everything except anything touched by Ryan Adams & Rhett Miller, anyway).
I'm not much for the Old 97's either, but I'm a big fan of most of the Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown catalogue, especially the older stuff.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:30 pm

It is fucking perfect, and was on my list. I may have gone Emotionalism over this one, but I can't argue you picking this.

Ah, thanks.. Home playing nurse and physical therapist for my wife (back surgery). She's taking a nap and this is exactly what I needed.

Huh... Didn't realize this was an Apatow joint. All the better.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

It's time.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

That was my next one after what I'm about to post.

Was considering Hemispheres too. I've had this one written up since this morning so I didn't get bitched at so...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Kinda cool that I get pick #100 so I'll make it my favorite album. I've listened to this front to back more times than I can count. Her voice is perfect. It's a wonderful blend of tempos, vibes, and general feeling. Not overproduced but very polished. I listen to it to chill out. I listen to it on road trips. I've got 3 tracks from it on my workout playlist. I love all the experimentation they have done since, but this is the peak.

At pick 100, BSF's Vinyl Friday will spin and spin and spin:

Metric - Fantasties

Emily Haines forever.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Mr. Rush. You know I'm a fan. But imho, of their first nine studio albums, that is their worst one.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 pm It's time.

Ahh, the Geddy-at-his-Most-Nasal Era.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Reason I know things are at their most peaceful ever around here is that everyone apparently saved Rush for Rush to take in the middle rounds.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:41 pm Mr. Rush. You know I'm a fan. But imho, of their first nine studio albums, that is their worst one.
It's nostalgia for me. One of the first handful of CDs I ever bought and I when I had it on tape as a teenager I used to walk the 3 miles to town and crank it on my walkman. Nothing fights off the cold like the Necromancer cranked in your ears (and the epic songs are what make it. Lakeside and Bastille Day are good, but I Think I'm Going Bald is pure shite.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:36 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Ah, thanks.. Home playing nurse and physical therapist for my wife (back surgery). She's taking a nap and this is exactly what I needed.

Huh... Didn't realize this was an Apatow joint. All the better.
And holy shit, watching them go the process of writing I Wish I Was with the kicker of seeing them perform the end live? That's some of the coolest documentary shit I've seen. Very well done. Goosebumps.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - DIS (101st)

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My next pick:

Feeling lucky to be able to grab the two artists (outside of The Dead) that I've probably seen the most times live.
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - SANCARLOS (102nd)

Post by sancarlos »

So, I was a bit torn on this one. A couple stellar bands surprisingly on the board I'd like to pick, a couple other personal favorites to consider...

In the end I decided my cabin need a bit of funkier rock. I think their best album is the live "Waiting for Columbus", but I like this one among their studio records:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

There are atleast 3 older, "better" albums I could grab here but I'm not sure which I want to pick so I'll just hope the decision gets made around the turn. Due to certain other people here, The National don't have my personal widest gap of love versus collective love, so I'm going to take the band that likely does off the board. And, even though we went to the 10th anniversary concert where they played it in full and it was wonderful, I'm not going to pick the album that's widely recognized as their all-timer because I think that might need to be revisited on a first best versus best best level. And, I really think they should be infinitely more popular than they are and have no idea where that missing link is ...

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just checked and the only time not me mentioned them was Giff. I hope this robbed you somewhere down the line, bud.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:23 pm I just checked and the only time not me mentioned them was Giff. I hope this robbed you somewhere down the line, bud.
It didn’t, but it’s a good pick. I’d take the CD of your favorite songs from 2007 if I could.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***5-8 DIS***

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:38 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm I'll grab the other Elvis:

I like the choice of Elvis Costello. But, just imho, I've always thought that his first three albums (My Aim is True, This Year's Model, and Armed Forces) are much superior than anything since then.
I had to pick Blood and Chocolate since its got "I Want You"...my favorite EC song..on it. But strong consideration was given to Imperial Bedroom, or any of the first three, or Punch The Clock (even if just for "Shipbuilding")
Shocked!

I was the biggest Elvis fan in the world back in the day and grabbed his albums pretty much the day they hit the stores...

All a matter of taste, but "Get Happy" was going to be one of my picks. I would have followed that with "Imperial Bedroom," "This Year's Model," "Trust," "Armed Forces," and then "King of America."

And I freely admit to not having listened to pretty much anything he's put out in the last 20 years. Any suggestions?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (104th)

Post by bfj »

I like a good guitarist.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 pm Image

I like a good guitarist.
What an absolutely amazing album - some pieces of music evoke a time an a place. "Tunnel of Love" covers me in goosebumps and makes the room dusty every friggin' time I hear it.
She took off a silver locket she said remember me by this
She put her hand in my pocket I got a keepsake and a kiss
And in the roar of the dust and diesel I stood and watched her walk away
I could have caught up with her easy enough but something must have made me stay
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Great album.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was pretty shocked that was still on the board and that is one of 3 that were definitely going next for me. Nice pick. My biggest struggle was going to be which album. Sultans is one of those songs that it doesn't matter how many times I hear it, it makes me happy. Such a great song.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:02 pm I was pretty shocked that was still on the board and that is one of 3 that were definitely going next for me. Nice pick. My biggest struggle was going to be which album. Sultans is one of those songs that it doesn't matter how many times I hear it, it makes me happy. Such a great song.
That's because guitar George knows all the chords, and ultimately, Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - CHEDDA (105th)

Post by govmentchedda »

Decided to not go with that one album/hit wonder that popped into my head. Re-listened to it last week, and it's not worthy of being pick 105. I don't have enough stoner white dude, guitar rock. Adam Granduciel, come on down...

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Dick!

I think they're more Indie/Americana than they are stoner rock, btw. I mean, I get why you'd say that, cuz he plays it to a laid back, psychedelic vibe. Stoner rock is drone-y though. Like a lot of QOTSA or the Black Angels.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Man, I feel so old.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hey commish (and ljam, in case you're more into this process than mister d) chedda picked over 15 hours ago.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - LJAM (106th)

Post by L-Jam3 »

Wouldn't have guessed that I would be the first with multiple hip-hop albums, but so be it.

With pick #106, the L-Jam Cabin selects:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - PDX (107th)

Post by P.D.X. »

Coulda gone with any of their albums, really. Get Behind Me Satan.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That's one of the bands that I really could not pick one album, so I decided to defer it to someone else because most of their albums has a case. I was leaning Icky Thump or Elephant/GBMS.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Raconteurs are a Brendan Benson band, right?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'll add my 2nd and 3rd self-titled debuts, both of which I played the fuck out of in college.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 am I'll add my 2nd and 3rd self-titled debuts, both of which I played the fuck out of in college.

Shit and Fuck.

Those are the first two albums, not just artists, that were very high on my list, especially Blues Traveler, which was coming off the board this round. Sure, a couple of other picks hit close, but these two are direct "you sank my battleship" shit.

Damn.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Love that VF record
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Any of their first 4 albums would be valid but I'm going with:

Mainly because Children of the Grave f'n rules.