Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - ENOCHROOT (169th)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Choosing between two very different groups. Have it up in a few.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - NONLINEAR (170th)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, despite the risk of my cabin becoming a bit too 90s heavy, I simply can't leave this much talent and raw energy on the board any longer. And, frankly, mid-80s up through the early 2000s is when I cared most deeply about my music. And this album, in particular, was certainly a mainstay and provided the sound track for many shenanigans in that era.

Yes, the hits are great, but what I love about this album is that the non-hits really carry the day. In the 9th round, Nonlinear FC selects:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:54 pm It’s arguably the soundtrack to flyover country.
Don't get me wrong, I love The Band. But, I think you are referring to Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Eh. I see your point, but I’m talking about one singular album vs a body of work. Which LP would that be? Willy & the Poor Boys, Cosmo’s Factory, Green River?
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - RUSH (171st)

Post by duff »

RHCP was my backup choice behind Green Day. And it would have been the same Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Probably could have gone with it instead of the Refreshments, but had to follow my heart.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Those are two of my ~five least favorite popular bands ever.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I would have gone with Mother's Milk personally, but...
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's good to know we don't have a complete mind-meld.

Also, Radiohead sucks balls.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:51 pm I would have gone with Mother's Milk personally, but...
Seconded
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

bfj wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:59 pm
brian wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:51 pm I would have gone with Mother's Milk personally, but...
Seconded
Yeah, I struggled with that decision. Knock Me Down is one of my favorite songs from them.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Here's my theory, which may be way off base to the fans: I don't know anyone who had a moderate opinion about RHCP during their peak, they either loved them or couldn't stand them, I obviously was in the former group. Beyond that, they age really poorly, so if you really didn't like them when they were big, they're only going to sound shittier and shittier with time. I know someone is going to second this.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:29 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:54 pm It’s arguably the soundtrack to flyover country.
Don't get me wrong, I love The Band. But, I think you are referring to Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Eh. I see your point, but I’m talking about one singular album vs a body of work. Which LP would that be? Willy & the Poor Boys, Cosmo’s Factory, Green River?
You make a fair point, too. I was talking about the whole body of work. CCR was a singles band and their hits were spread across a number of albums.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:08 pm Here's my theory, which may be way off base to the fans: I don't know anyone who had a moderate opinion about RHCP during their peak, they either loved them or couldn't stand them, I obviously was in the former group. Beyond that, they age really poorly, so if you really didn't like them when they were big, they're only going to sound shittier and shittier with time. I know someone is going to second this.
Moderate opinion then, slightly worse now.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:08 pm Here's my theory, which may be way off base to the fans: I don't know anyone who had a moderate opinion about RHCP during their peak, they either loved them or couldn't stand them, I obviously was in the former group. Beyond that, they age really poorly, so if you really didn't like them when they were big, they're only going to sound shittier and shittier with time. I know someone is going to second this.
I liked Mother's Milk and the album I selected. I think a few of their stuff since then has been good, but I'm certainly not going to argue they've aged particularly well.

Here's the thing for me, there are a TON of bands that I liked at the time who I just got tired of and couldn't be bothered to continue following as they aged. RCHP is absolutely near the top of that list, but I'd put U2 in there, as well. I just got tired of dealing with their transformation... I liked them when I liked them and pretty much just let them go. I don't hate them or anything, I just don't really care anymore.

Just saying, I hear you, but that album, in particular was fucking awesome, pretty much start to finish.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I would have gone Mother's Milk then Freaky Styley. BSSM was/is great but too overplayed (especially as I was into the Peppers in my angst years, not sure if I've actually listened to anything of theirs released since 2000 though)

Going here with an album that was a soundtrack to many bong hits in college.

Gerald Bostock, errrrr Jethro Tull TAAB.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush, imho, you pick great bands, but their mediocre albums.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:54 pm Out from the shadow of Bob Dylan and into the great wide open:

The Band;s second release, The Band. I debated whether to go with Music from Big Pink (because, well ‘The Weight’), but top to bottom, this is the one with more meat on it. It’s arguably the soundtrack to flyover country.

They’re North America’s Kinks, in my opinion...
I was thinking of snagging that one myself.

Great Band.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BSF (172nd)

Post by govmentchedda »

I wore out my copy of BSSM. Loved it back in the day. Don't listen to it much anymore. Still like it though.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I would have gone mothers milk likely but I also wore that cassette out.

Had a cousin who loved uplift mofo party plan, which was fun but they hadn’t came into their own yet
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:32 pm Rush, imho, you pick great bands, but their mediocre albums.

It was TAAB or Passion Play. Aqualung....meh, aside from Wondr'n Aloud.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 pm I wore out my copy of BSSM. Loved it back in the day. Don't listen to it much anymore. Still like it though.
A few years ago my wife's sister moved back home after college. She couldn't move everything up from Denver so I volunteered to take the rest of the stuff up to Steamboat. Listened to the first 4 albums on the way up. MAde a shitty drive a wee bit more bearable.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:05 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:54 pm I wore out my copy of BSSM. Loved it back in the day. Don't listen to it much anymore. Still like it though.
A few years ago my wife's sister moved back home after college. She couldn't move everything up from Denver so I volunteered to take the rest of the stuff up to Steamboat. Listened to the first 4 albums on the way up. MAde a shitty drive a wee bit more bearable.
Denver to Steamboat is a pretty drive.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

I would have totally been involved in this! Only album that comes to mind is Sufjan Stevens - Illinois. but that's spur of the moment, i have more...

Did someone already take it?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Because they're one of my all time favorites and I'm not sure how much longer this is going to go I want to get them in my lineup.

It is indeed another BSF Vinyl Friday (I don't own any of these guys on vinyl, SAD!) We take:

The Offspring - Smash

Soundtrack to my younger years, and while I've admittedly spun Americana/Days Go By more in recent times, this was my entry point.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:51 am Because they're one of my all time favorites and I'm not sure how much longer this is going to go I want to get them in my lineup.

It is indeed another BSF Vinyl Friday (I don't own any of these guys on vinyl, SAD!) We take:

The Offspring - Smash

Soundtrack to my younger years, and while I've admittedly spun Americana/Days Go By more in recent times, this was my entry point.
Personally, I think this belongs in the ‘Ridiculous Things You Read on Facebook’ thread.

However, I can appreciate why you’d want to keep ‘em separated.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - DiS (173rd)

Post by Shirley »

I get the criticism of The Offspring - all pop punk bands seem to get it - but Smash is a great, fun album. I've always liked pop punk, along with "regular" punk. You could play Green Day, Blink-182, or The Offspring in my cabin anytime.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is definitely helping me determine cabin assignments.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 am I get the criticism of The Offspring - all pop punk bands seem to get it - but Smash is a great, fun album. I've always liked pop punk, along with "regular" punk. You could play Green Day, Blink-182, or The Offspring in my cabin anytime.
Yea it's a pretty easy divide for people who want music to always be super meaningful, but sometimes I just wanna rock. Plus, Dexter Holland is a Ph.D in Molecular Biology. So that's neat.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 am I get the criticism of The Offspring - all pop punk bands seem to get it - but Smash is a great, fun album. I've always liked pop punk, along with "regular" punk. You could play Green Day, Blink-182, or The Offspring in my cabin anytime.
See, I'm right here, too.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Me again? Hard to keep up...

Anyways, I'll go with Swamp Favorites:

Giff
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - SANCARLOS (174th)

Post by Giff »

THS was my second choice and I knew they wouldn't make it back to me. Still doesn't make it any easier. Luckily, their tunes are so catchy I can sing them in my head.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I've been listening to a lot of the Hold Steady lately too. Good stuff. My wife teases me by saying Craig Finn sounds like Randy Newman.

For my pick, I'm going to a value selection. Can't believe these guys have lasted this long. I still enjoy this album a lot.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 am
Yea it's a pretty easy divide for people who want music to always be super meaningful, but sometimes I just wanna rock. Plus, Dexter Holland is a Ph.D in Molecular Biology. So that's neat.
There's a spectrum with Smashmouth on one end and, I dunno, pick the grungiest most metal 90s band on the other.

Sure, Offspring is more down the Smashmouth end of that spectrum, but they are lumped in with those other groups mentioned above and they're just solid fun to listen to...

That album is awesome.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

COMMISHTER D: A question, in one part...

Did we ever rule on "double albums" up in hurr?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 am
Interesting. I’ve got some work to do.
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:51 am COMMISHTER D: A question, in one part...

Meaning double length, or something else? There have definitely been some of those picked.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:58 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:51 am COMMISHTER D: A question, in one part...

Meaning double length, or something else? There have definitely been some of those picked.
Back-in-the-day two albums in one release. And showing my ignorance, as I didn't know anything previously covered that ground. If so, asked and answered.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:03 am

Back-in-the-day two albums in one release. And showing my ignorance, as I didn't know anything previously covered that ground. If so, asked and answered.
You mean like the Beatles' White Album? That was a double album, and my first pick.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:05 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:03 am

You mean like the Beatles' White Album? That was a double album, and my first pick.
And "London Calling."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

We’re going beyond 10, right?
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I think the last round should be live albums / greatest hits even for previously picked bands.