Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - ENOCHROOT (192)

Post by mister d »

Alright. No change to the pace except we'll make it two on the board when people decide to Be Slow Fucks.

(LOL just kidding bro!)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

two brief thoughts as a non drafting observer.

1) how the fuck can you draft oasis and not take Whats the Story (Morning Glory). This is blasphemy

2). I have only listened to 4 of these albums. Anybody want to play a random trivia game and guess which four?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

All Eyez on TT
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Safe to assume Definitely, Maybe isn’t one.

And is Giff ok?
Last edited by rass on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Though to be fair to him the commish is four picks behind in the draft spread sheet and two picks behind on the thread title. He did get a sick burn in on BSF yesterday evening, at least.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah when I came to the page earlier this morning I was wondering if UMBC sparked a mad flurry of picks late night.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well I have to say I’ve half-expected some mockery over a couple of my picks, but I’m kind of surprised I’ve been trashed twice now for my Oasis pick, which I thought was pretty safe. (And, I still feel good about.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:22 am Well I have to say I’ve half-expected some mockery over a couple of my picks, but I’m kind of surprised I’ve been trashed twice now for my Oasis pick, which I thought was pretty safe. (And, I still feel good about.)
Oasis was definitely a band that started strong and then really just faded..But Definitely Maybe is every bit as good as Morning Glory. Frankly, I prefer it because it’s more frenetic and less polished and/or pompous. ‘Rock & Roll Star’ is a kick ass start to any LP, and it contains (IMO) the best song they ever did, ‘Up in the Sky’. When Liam sings “There we were now here we are, all this confusion nothing's the same to me” in ‘Columbia’, they’re basically staking a flag on the hill vacated by the bands from the Madchester scene. There’s just a raw power to that disc.

(What’s the Story) Morning Glory? is where the band started to openly pay homage to the Beatles, IMO. I do love that record too, but the efforts after that they kinda revealed there wasn’t much more to them.
Noli Timere Messorem
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

EnochRoot wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:40 am
sancarlos wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:22 am Well I have to say I’ve half-expected some mockery over a couple of my picks, but I’m kind of surprised I’ve been trashed twice now for my Oasis pick, which I thought was pretty safe. (And, I still feel good about.)
Oasis was definitely a band that started strong and then really just faded..But Definitely Maybe is every bit as good as Morning Glory. Frankly, I prefer it because it’s more frenetic and less polished and/or pompous. ‘Rock & Roll Star’ is a kick ass start to any LP, and it contains (IMO) the best song they ever did, ‘Up in the Sky’. When Liam sings “There we were now here we are, all this confusion nothing's the same to me” in ‘Columbia’, they’re basically staking a flag on the hill vacated by the bands from the Madchester scene. There’s just a raw power to that disc.

(What’s the Story) Morning Glory? is where the band started to openly pay homage to the Beatles, IMO. I do love that record too, but the efforts after that they kinda revealed there wasn’t much more to them.

wonderwall, champagne supernova, Dont look back in anger, and shes electric are all excellent songs, and catchy as hell. Dont look back in Anger is the best Oasis song there is...and its not even really close...and oh by the way that album also has Hello and THE SWAMP SONG
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Giff
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - GIFF (194)

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:49 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:40 am

wonderwall, champagne supernova, Dont look back in anger, and shes electric are all excellent songs, and catchy as hell. Dont look back in Anger is the best Oasis song there is...and its not even really close...and oh by the way that album also has Hello and THE SWAMP SONG
We’ll never be on the same page if you think ‘Wonderwall’ and ‘Champagne Supernova’ are excellent songs. The album tends be over-produced, right down to the energy out of Noel’s guitar (see opening track). I will say that ‘Don’t Look Back in Anger’ is an example of Noel knowing how to sing to an audience, rather than how Liam sings at one (see Wonderwall and his projecting voice). I like that track. The best track on that record is ‘Some Might Say’.

That’s why I referred to Definitely Maybe being more frenetic and less polished.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff, I'm making a face.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:36 am Giff, I'm making a face.
Mad I took the band or disagree with pick? Or both?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - AB (195)

Post by A_B »

I will go Hayes Carll, KMAG YOYO

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just the album pick. Would have gone Illadelph Halflife or Do You Want More???
BSF21
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - PRUITT (93nd)

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:43 am I'm having a whale of a time with this one. Got a lot of pics before I come back again. But I think 1-2 might make it back to me and then some of the others I think I'd be happy with just about anything someone else would pick.

So I need to go with the one I'd be mad if I never got to hear again.

Ryan Bingham, Mescalito

So Lucero is coming to town next month and I've never really listened to them. So I'm cooking this morning and fire up Pandora an punch them in and hear three tracks off this Ryan Bingham album.

It's incredible. Thank you for the recommendation on this one. Getting bought straight away.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Really wanted to get this one in in time for St. Patrick's Day.

All of the Pogues first 4 albums are absolutely outstanding, and I mean outstanding. An almost unparalleled run of brilliance followed by a decent album and a bad one and then that was pretty much it.

Although after Shane McGowan really, REALLY hit the bottle and left the band, they did tour with Joe Strummer. One of my favourite concerts ever. I saw them 4 times in total and they were the best band that started recording in the 80s. At their best, they combined poetic lyrics with hard-driving, drunken energy.

Rum, Sodomy and the Lash was their second album. It is a classic.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That a perfect example of a group I absolutely loved and just plain forgot existed. That song you posted, in particular, was one of my absolute favorites for quite a long time.

Nice pick.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I like the Hayes Carll pick, AB!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:29 pm That a perfect example of a group I absolutely loved and just plain forgot existed. That song you posted, in particular, was one of my absolute favorites for quite a long time.

Nice pick.
I've been listening to maybe a half dozen of their classics fairly regularly, but knowing I was going to choose one of the Pogues' albums led me to stream their full albums. They stood the test of time very nicely.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

In round 11 giff went from the (on average) most efficient picker to the 5th slowest (pending duff and ryan).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Not considered their best album, but I burned through two cassettes during a summer of mowing lawns.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I should have just taken PJ, AiC, and Soundgarden and gone home. To that end, let's destroy the cabin-time continuum with my second Mike McCready.

Bonus points for "November Hotel" - an instrumental that I'll actually sit through.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

And oh hell yes

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"What it Takes" is the probably only "modern" era Aerosmith song that not only won't force me to reflexively turn the station, but I'll even turn the volume up.

And nice pull ryan. I should have thought of them when AIC got taken away and at least had them on the list for a later round. I definitely fell asleep to Wake Up on multiple occasions as a drunken college kid.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm too tired to question whether Staley wiped Mad Season off the board when Dirt was picked.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I need some horns and some fun in my cabin.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 am I'm too tired to question whether Staley wiped Mad Season off the board when Dirt was picked.
I'm not sure if howard trampled all over it anyway, but you never defined your <50% rule. Was that based on songwriting, or just some general faceofthebandness? AIC was at least 50/50, if not more Cantrell than Staley as far as songwriting.
mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - PRUITT (201)

Post by mister d »

The intent was really vocals, a literal sound, but whatev.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The Beatles sound just like George Harrison so I think I'm ok

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Whose side are you on?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Ryan wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:35 am I should have just taken PJ, AiC, and Soundgarden and gone home. To that end, let's destroy the cabin-time continuum with my second Mike McCready.

Bonus points for "November Hotel" - an instrumental that I'll actually sit through.
How was Temple of the Dog ruled un-pickable but Mad Season not?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Math

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Temple of the Dog is more unnatural, but I tend to agree on this. Lets get some opinions!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I have Bob Marley onboard to take care of the more political and "conscious" side of classic reggae. Here's Lee "Scratch" Perry to take care of the more insane and experimental side of old-time reggae.

"Super Ape" is Lee Perry at his rhythmic best. But it is wacky, nutty from start to finish. Almost as good is the sequel "Return of the Super Ape."

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Loretta Lynn, Van Lear Rose - produced by Jack White
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:18 am Temple of the Dog is more unnatural, but I tend to agree on this. Lets get some opinions!
howard wrote:6.) Supergroups shall be defined by the arbitrator, and shall be either deemed ineligible for this draft or to be considered as entities with bodies of work separate from the other work of its members, and eligible for selection w/o attachment of that other work. The draft administrator and defendant, mister d, shall decide the question of eligibility of supergroups.

7.) The draft administrator and defendant, mister d, shall designate an arbitrator for this draft. The arbitrator will

a.) assign bands/groups into one of two classes, defined in item #5 above;
b.) designate certain bands/groups as supergroups;
c.) be available to any member of this draft for consultation and ruling on a prospective draft choice, via private message or email;
d.) provide the rationale for his/her decision publically, upon request from any member of this draft;
e.) not be subject to appeal of any of his/her rulings;
f.) chosen purely at the discretion of draft administrator mister d, and can be himself, Chief Justice Howard, or any other person of his choice;
g.) serve the duration of this draft, although the draft administrator shall have the authority to dismiss the arbitrator at any time, for any reason;
Supergroups are clearly to be handled in a different manner than the solo artist question.

Did you assign an arbitrator?
mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - GIFF (203)

Post by mister d »

Lets say its Brian. His problem now.
rass
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - GIFF (203)

Post by rass »

I'd say Mad Season is the VGK of mid-90s rock, so....