Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (283rd)

Post by bfj »

I like guitars.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Wow. I had forgotten about those guys. A nice, unexpected choice.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Heard this on an advert today, and didn't want any of you soccer watchers stealing Your Hand in Mine from me.

Explosions in the Sky - Friday Night Lights movie soundtrack

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

This is one I’m putting out because I saw Adele, George Michael, and Sturgill Simpson fly off the board. Frankly I’m kicking myself for taking Snoop when I did.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure I’m the first person here to come out of the closet as a Lady Gaga fan. I remember saying she is not a modern-day Madonna but rather a modern-day Bowie, a talented musician and lyricist whose theatrics somewhat obscure it. This was my musical broken clock moment. I like every album she put out, but I want to put her 2nd, an EP in the Stabbin Cabin. Bad Romance is her magnum opus, Dancing in the Dark is my favorite of hers, and Speechless is a hell of a song of loss. And I think it’s got the best batting average out of any of her albums. With themes such as abuse, S&M, body image, obsession, grief, and a duet with Queen Bey, the Stabbin Cabin will spin, for the more freaky experiences, Lady Gaga’s The Fame Monster.

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - PDX (287th)

Post by rass »

FNL soundtrack smells a little compilation-y, but so did the Honeysuckle Rose selection, so...?

(if we time giff's 16th round pick based on when he finally re-picked he has moved in to second place behind BSF, though likely to be passed by PDX this round)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:44 am FNL soundtrack smells a little compilation-y, but so did the Honeysuckle Rose selection, so...?

(if we time giff's 16th round pick based on when he finally re-picked he has moved in to second place behind BSF, though likely to be passed by PDX this round)
Yeah, I'm not proud of that pick. I didn't realize it until I started listening to it more.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, fuck it, not that it really matters but if we're allowed to pick soundtracks I'm changing my Jimmy Cliff to The Harder They Come.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:27 am Well, fuck it, not that it really matters but if we're allowed to pick soundtracks I'm changing my Jimmy Cliff to The Harder They Come.
The rule was soundtracks were OK if they were all the same artist. I thought mine was.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I change mine to the following:

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 pm Image

Heard this on an advert today, and didn't want any of you soccer watchers stealing Your Hand in Mine from me.

Explosions in the Sky - Friday Night Lights movie soundtrack

Boooo for not just selecting The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place. A classic in the genre.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Dammit, PDX! You're right about my EITS choice, and you stole Peter Gabriel! Although, I was gonna pick Us.
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - J-LO (288/9th)

Post by Rush2112 »

Though as far as I am concerned, Genesis stopped existing when he left so he shouldn't be selectable.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:35 pm Though as far as I am concerned, Genesis stopped existing when he left so he shouldn't be selectable.
Point of order: while I agree the first couple of Gabriel solo LPs (Car, Scratch) were in a sense extensions from the Lamb Lies Down era, he began inching towards that world sound by his third and fourth LPs (Melt, Security). So and the rest are clearly world musicians-influenced.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Put it another way: Genesis was crying about some generic man on the corner (true, a compassionate stance to take), all the while Peter Gabriel was...

Holy shit do I love me some Peter Gabriel.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:12 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:35 pm Though as far as I am concerned, Genesis stopped existing when he left so he shouldn't be selectable.
Point of order: while I agree the first couple of Gabriel solo LPs (Car, Scratch) were in a sense extensions from the Lamb Lies Down era, he began inching towards that world sound by his third and fourth LPs (Melt, Security). So and the rest are clearly world musicians-influenced.
I think we can all agree that Genesis was a completely different band after Gabriel left. Funny that the Abacab-era Genesis sold way more records than did the Gabriel-era band. Of course, so did Peter Gabriel solo.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Abacab-era Genesis was radio friendly, period.
Yihla moja, yihla moja
The man is dead.
The man is dead.
It was pretty much the moment when the white man in the West started in on Apartheid. Pretty sure U2 never would've written the track, 40 if not for Biko.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Must say - I was a big Gabriel fan, and any one of his first 4 solo albums would get my nod.

They were a huge part of the soundtrack of my youth. In fact, my yearbook quote is from "I Don't Remember" I would have chosen his first or second solo albums, but since he was Genesis circa "Foxtrot," I shied away.

When I eventually am diagnosed with hearing problems, this song will be one of the main reasons why.

But between his work with genesis and his solo career and trying to bring "World Music" to western ears, the guy's an all time great.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Solsbury Hill is a top-5 all-time song for me, but oddly enough I prefer the accessibility of his later albums.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:33 pm Solsbury Hill is a top-5 all-time song for me, but oddly enough I prefer the accessibility of his later albums.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Let me plug his album, Us, again. It wasn't nearly as popular as So, but damn it's good.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm Let me plug his album, Us, again. It wasn't nearly as popular as So, but damn it's good.
It couldn't be as popular as So. So was really the penultimate ending to what started when he wrote Biko in 79-80. So was tied to Artists Against Apartheid, essentially. Also - So was the first LP of his that thrust him into the mainstream out of 'cult following' status.

I'll say this much: Us is a damn fine record..I saw that tour (Secret World Tour) down in Orlando. Great show. The girl I was dating at the time wasn't that interested in the show. I dumped her a few days later. Looking back I suppose I was just looking for a way out, but damn, show me you're not interested in good music and I'll flick your fingers off that ledge, sweetheart. (o;
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Holy shit, I was at that show! The old O-rena. Pretty sure Paula Cole sang all of the Kate Bush parts from the album. I remember his bass player having an odd shaped bass.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Dot dot dot.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:01 pm Holy shit, I was at that show! The old O-rena. Pretty sure Paula Cole sang all of the Kate Bush parts from the album. I remember his bass player having an odd shaped bass.
Niiiiice! That was Tony Levin. He’s a freakin iconic bassist. Click that link and check out the acts he’s played with throughout his career. Eye-popping stuff. Pretty sure the guitar you’re thinking of was the Chapman stick.

Oh - as I recall they almost didn’t make that show. The night before they were caravaning south down I-75 and a tour bus crashed (caught fire, etc), and a bunch of fire rescue personnel wound up saving some peoples’ lives. Gabriel brought them all out on stage at some point - I want to say just before the encore.

That was a great freakin show.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's him. I don't remember the bus crash, but the show was amazing.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My first time seeing the Shock the Monkey video is one of those indelibly burned into my brain experiences, and the volume goes way up if I'm lucky enough to stumble across it on the radio.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:52 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:01 pm Holy shit, I was at that show! The old O-rena. Pretty sure Paula Cole sang all of the Kate Bush parts from the album. I remember his bass player having an odd shaped bass.
Niiiiice! That was Tony Levin. He’s a freakin iconic bassist. Click that link and check out the acts he’s played with throughout his career. Eye-popping stuff. Pretty sure the guitar you’re thinking of was the Chapman stick.

Oh - as I recall they almost didn’t make that show. The night before they driving south down I-75 and a tour bus crashed (caught fire, etc), and a bunch of fire rescue personnel wound up saving some peoples’ lives. Gabriel brought them all out on stage at some point - I want to say just before the encore.

That was a great freakin show.
Also one of my favorite all-time live albums.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'd totally forgotten he released Secret World Live. I wish I still had my shirt from that tour. I wore it all the time.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just remembered that owning Us and Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats gives one a shitton of great PG jams. He's not on Spotify, so I may need to grab those CDs.

ETA - always perpelexed why In Your Eyes isn't on StT:SGG.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Check out this classic.

Tony Levin goes apeshit!

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 pm Check out this classic.

Tony Levin goes apeshit!

Thanks for posting this. :wookiedance:
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

You're just a butter knife...I'm a machete.

Awwwwwwwww...yeah.

Oh and let's prepare for some sexy time in the cabin just in case I ever figure out how to get laid again.

Take us to Pound Town, Phillip.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'll always associate Big Daddy Kane with the Madonna picture book.

NSFW!
[+] spoiler
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:21 am That's him. I don't remember the bus crash, but the show was amazing.
Check out this brief mention under Biko in the setlist. This sounds about right. They brought the fire rescue team out on stage to a thunderous applause, and then as they exited, Biko started...
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - PDX (290th)

Post by P.D.X. »

Off my irl cabin playlist, adding some estrogen to my sausage party collection. Essential contemporary doom metal from WV.

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - PDX (290th)

Post by L-Jam3 »

Coincidentally I’m in NYC. Also coincidentally is this album’s release date. It’s way too long to have this guy not represented:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - CHEDDA (292nd)

Post by EnochRoot »

Did Chedda cheese or something?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My turn? My bad.

Nice Jay-Z pick up there.

With this pick, I'm taking the band, fronted by the guy I've seen live (probably) the most times in my life (Avett Brothers are making their way up that list).

I love everything they've released, but I'm going with their EP - vs. The Greatest of All Time

It's perfect from the opening note to the last.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My pick is safe, thanks.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.