Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BFJ (329th) + SKIP J-LO (324/325th)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BSF (189)

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:48 amThe Americana ones are tough because the live albums are so much better. Back to Tulsa and Reckless Kelly Was Here are two I'm sneaking into the cabin, regardless of what Counselor MrD says.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - RUSH (190)

Post by Ryan »

LjampickedTLC.jpg
Last edited by Ryan on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - BSF (189)

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:48 am
A_B wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 am Great pick. Not sure which studio album I'd have gone with. Cody says the next departed album is back to his roots, so I am really looking forward to that.
The Americana ones are tough because the live albums are so much better. Back to Tulsa and Reckless Kelly Was Here are two I'm sneaking into the cabin, regardless of what Counselor MrD says.

Back to tulsa is so great.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

No entry in the Stabbin’ Cabin for you, Hampshire-boy.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It was an Andre Rison joke, brohams
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Dammitt. Right over my head. Good one.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 am It was an Andre Rison joke, brohams
Sly.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sorry, was traveling all day

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:15 pm Sorry, was traveling all day

[erases Lamb Lies Down from list]

Judge not this race by empty remains
Do you judge God by his creatures when they are dead?
For now, the lizard's shed it's tail
This is the end of man's long union with Earth.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And I'll let "Selling England By The pound" go.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

With all due respect to you guys, [Barf].
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:52 pm With all due respect to you guys, [Barf].
Controversial pick? Maybe.

Better than Oasis? Definitely.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - NONLINEAR (191)

Post by Nonlinear FC »

With only two picks left before the Free For All Apocalypse, I really struggled with this pick. I'm pretty sure this guy is so under the radar, despite how influential he has been on so many artists, that I could save him for Rd12. On the other hand, I love his music and who he is as a person (as much as you can "know" an artist from afar) that I NEED him in my cabin.

I discovered him fairly recently, in the grand scheme of things, which has been a blessing as I've sifted through his fairly extensive catalog. Folks that are way ahead of me in terms of knowledge of his work might have picked Bruised Orange, but I have found that his debut album really is sublime.

John Prine - Eponymous

As luck would have it, this showed up in my Fb feed today: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/feat ... ng-w517885
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - NONLINEAR (191)

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, now thats an album I love! His best,imho. Applause, nlfc!
Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick - ENOCHROOT (192)

Post by Rush2112 »

Prine was on my list too, HDO isn't in the draft so thought he'd be around...Genesis not so much.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Ok, so this is a pick your personal favourites draft? I checked out the last few pages... some obviously personal album selections there.

I understand that everyone has their own taste in music, but some of your picks are insanely bad, considering what is still out there. But i can't say mine would be much better. I just ordered 5 vinyls from amazon, 2 classics - Rancid "...and out come the wolves" and The Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin" plus three new albums; Kurt vile and Courtney Barnett "Lotta Sea Lice", Craig Finn "We All want the same things", and The xx "I see You".

But if I had to choose a favourite album to draft, it would be "where you been" by Dinosaur Jr. #1 with a bullet. And how many of you know that album?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, THC, the way it works is once an album is chosen, that artist is off the board. Dinosaur Jr. got picked pretty early on (Green Mind).

I love that Rancid album, too.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:05 am Hey, THC, the way it works is once an album is chosen, that artist is off the board. Dinosaur Jr. got picked pretty early on (Green Mind).

I love that Rancid album, too.
Ah. Ok. I only looked at the last four or five pages. Makes sense now. And 'Green Mind' is just as good as 'Where You Been', if not better, but i prefer 'Where you Been' because it feels more like a complete album. Thumb is my favourite song of all time and it's on Green Mind, so whoever picked it gets a thumbs up from me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No surprise that THC and bfj are compatible.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:02 am No surprise that THC and bfj are compatible.
I laughed.

I love Where You Been also, but Green Mind was my first taste of Dinosaur jr.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I was actually thinking about Genesis too but thought someone had picked Phil Collins and that took them out.

Looking back that was Paul Simon...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:17 am I was actually thinking about Genesis too but thought someone had picked Phil Collins and that took them out.

Looking back that was Paul Simon...
Yeah I was thinking about Art Garfunkel, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I'm gonna assume (by several very strong arguments that I'm not going to type out) that Peter Gabriel is still available.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 am I'm gonna assume (by several very strong arguments that I'm not going to type out) that Peter Gabriel is still available.
Hell yes. I mean, flip the script a bit: The Band was after Dylan came off the board, no?
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I’m sorry for the delay. I went to bed last night mulling over a few choices. One of the things I realized about my curation is that it doesn’t rock enough.

Well fuck that. NO MORE. Phil Lynott and the Angels from the Coast ride again.

Literate and visceral; the Steely Dan of the hard rock set.*

Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

All things must pass, but not this round without me taking this album.

If I had my own draft of ex-Beatles solo songs, I'm pretty sure I would take a handful of Lennon songs first, but the rest of the top 10 would be mostly Harrison, and I think this is definitely the best overall album any of them released.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am All things must pass, but not this round without me taking this album.

If I had my own draft of ex-Beatles solo songs, I'm pretty sure I would take a handful of Lennon songs first, but the rest of the top 10 would be mostly Harrison, and I think this is definitely the best overall album any of them released.
I kid you not. I went to sleep pondering Jailbreak, Hot Rats and All Things Must Pass. I’d have chosen Harrison had I not placed the qualifier of needing an LP that rocks out upon myself. Fantastic album.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ruling on whether The Beatles are so The Beatles you can’t take a Beatle?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A 30 second google
Jackie Treehorn

Re: Swamp Album Draft: Current Pick ***2-10 BSF***

Post by A 30 second google »

howard wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:48 pm SUPREME COURT OF THE SPORTS FROG
IN THE NATION OF THE SWAMP
The Honorable Chief Justice Howard in New York

Rush2112 on behalf of himself and others members
Of the Sportsfrog Album Draft similarly situated
Class Plaintiffs

Vs

Mister d, administrator of the Sportsfrog Album Draft
Defendant

A CLASS ACTION

11 February 2018

ORDER OF PERMANENT INJUNCTION

The Supreme Court of The Sports Frog, after careful consideration of the facts, has decided in the matter named above the following injunctive relief for the plaintiffs in the class action.

This injunction is effective immediately, and to be enforced with the full force of law by mister d, administrator of the Sportsfrog Album Draft.

1.) Preliminary injunction of 11 February 2018 is lifted; the Sportsfrog Album Draft is to be resumed.

2.) Upon resumption of the draft, member and plaintiff Rush2112 has the option to revise his last selection, Round 2 pick 9 (27th overall) in light of today’s ruling. The time limit for his decision to let stand his pick or submit a different choice shall be the same time for regular picks in this draft, the clock beginning to run at the time of publication of this order.

3.) Some bands/groups will be considered to be synonymous with a single artist for purposes of this draft. Some other bands/groups will be defined as entities with bodies of work separate from that of the solo work of the members.

Addendum to 3.) The band The Cream is designated to be synonymous with the solo work of Eric Clapton, as laid forth below in section 8.)a.) of this order.

4.) An arbitrator will be assigned to make the distinction of which of these two classes a given band/group is assigned. The arbitrator shall have powers and duties defined below, in addition to making this distinction.

5.) Solo work of the members of the bands/groups assigned to the second classification above shall be considered separate from the work of the group, and subject to the draft separately. This order reverses the prior rule dictating selection of a group confers possession of all solo work of the members of said group. This order is necessary because of the varied work of many individuals both prior to and subsequent to their primary or most famous group work.

6.) Supergroups shall be defined by the arbitrator, and shall be either deemed ineligible for this draft or to be considered as entities with bodies of work separate from the other work of its members, and eligible for selection w/o attachment of that other work. The draft administrator and defendant, mister d, shall decide the question of eligibility of supergroups.

7.) The draft administrator and defendant, mister d, shall designate an arbitrator for this draft. The arbitrator will

a.) assign bands/groups into one of two classes, defined in item #5 above;
b.) designate certain bands/groups as supergroups;
c.) be available to any member of this draft for consultation and ruling on a prospective draft choice, via private message or email;
d.) provide the rationale for his/her decision publically, upon request from any member of this draft;
e.) not be subject to appeal of any of his/her rulings;
f.) chosen purely at the discretion of draft administrator mister d, and can be himself, Chief Justice Howard, or any other person of his choice;
g.) serve the duration of this draft, although the draft administrator shall have the authority to dismiss the arbitrator at any time, for any reason;

8.) This order sets forth six specific designations relating to draft choices already made, including the draft choice of Round 2 pick 9 subject to revision by Rush 2112. Those designations are as follow:

a.) The Cream is considered synonymous with the solo work of Eric Clapton
b.) The selection of The Beatles does not include the subsequent solo work of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison or Ringo Starr; those four individuals are subject to selection in this draft
c.) Led Zeppelin is not considered a supergroup and is eligible for this draft. The choice does not include the prior or subsequent work of Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones or John Bonham
d.) The Traveling Wilburys and The Highwaymen are designated as supergroups; the selections of Johnny Cash and Tom Petty shall not include their work in these two supergroups.
e.) CSN/CSNY/Crosby and Nash are designated a group separate and distinct from the solo work of their members. The selection of Neil Young shall not include the work of CSNY, nor shall it preclude the eligibility of CSN/CSNY/Crosby and Nash for subsequent selection in this draft.
f.) The selection of Pearl Jam shall not impinge upon the eligibility of Neil Young’s subsequent selection. The Neil Young album entitled Mirror Ball, which featured the members of Pearl Jam, shall be considered in the solo work of Mr. Young. Sorry, Eddie.

This permanent injunction shall have the force of law, effective immediately upon publication, 11 February 2018. All hail the wise and powerful Chief Justice Howard!
You are welcome friend!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

So what's the deal with turning this into a free for all?

I kinda like the pace and reading everyone's selections for what it's worth.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Ditto.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am All things must pass, but not this round without me taking this album.

I think John Lennon is what Jack White was trying to channel when he wrote that insipid Seven Nation Army. His (Lennon) stuff can be so damn anthemic when he wanted it to be. Also, Lennon was in the here and now, where Harrison was in the spiritual realm, if that makes sense.

ALL I WANT IS THE TRUTH.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 pmI kinda like the pace and reading everyone's selections for what it's worth.
If everyone picked at your pace, we'd be mid-2nd round right now. Some people have less to do.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:32 pm
BSF21 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 pmI kinda like the pace and reading everyone's selections for what it's worth.
If everyone picked at your pace, we'd be mid-2nd round right now. Some people have less to do.
Whatever, it's your draft. I just like reading what everyone draws up when it'd their turn. I maintain I've enjoyed the pace of 4-5 picks per day.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I agree with bsf.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So don’t speed it up after the 12th? Is that consensus?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, it would be cool if folks would pop in and draft at a faster clip, but... I'd rather just keep it going as is. I've calmed the fuck down and can be patient for awhile longer.

ETA - With the caveat that if someone goes 24 hours (or thereabouts) without drafting, you just do what you did before. I could be wrong, but it feels like people aren't jockeying for coveted artists as much at this point.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:59 pm So don’t speed it up after the 12th? Is that consensus?
Even if it drops to an album a day...It’s about appreciating re-discovering the deeper, more arcane artists soon enough anyway. That takes time..
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:23 pm
mister d wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:59 pm So don’t speed it up after the 12th? Is that consensus?
Even if it drops to an album a day...It’s about appreciating re-discovering the deeper, more arcane artists soon enough anyway. That takes time..
Agreed
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.