Jeeves <insert something funny Tim Dorsey/Dave Barry/Carl Hiassen> Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater/

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Jeeves <insert something funny Tim Dorsey/Dave Barry/Carl Hiassen> Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater/

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Frogs
Heading to Florida with the family for Spring Break. Going to Indian Rocks. Any suggestions on things to do, places to eat, etc. Saw that the Rowdies have their home opener the day we arrive and probably going to take in the O's v. Phillies Spring Training game. Kids are 11 and 8.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Jeeves <insert something funny Tim Dorsey/Dave Barry/Carl Hiassen> Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater/

Post by govmentchedda »

What are you into? How far do you want to stray from the beach? Flying in and out of St. Pete or Tampa? What days will you be here?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Re: Jeeves <insert something funny Tim Dorsey/Dave Barry/Carl Hiassen> Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater/

Post by Giff »

I recommend getting caught up in the hijinks of a stripper, her bodyguard and some out of work PI. /hiassened
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Get one of those rocket ship/flying saucer lap dances Hound (?) posted about years ago.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm What are you into? How far do you want to stray from the beach? Flying in and out of St. Pete or Tampa? What days will you be here?
Going in and out of Tampa. Sat(3/24) -> Sat (3/31). Will have a rental car. Because we land in afternoon getting to the Rowdies game may be tough to pitch to the Mrs. However, the O's on the 25th is very likely. Will spend some days being lazy. Probably hit the Dali museum, but really could see us get in the car to do something fun.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:21 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 pm What are you into? How far do you want to stray from the beach? Flying in and out of St. Pete or Tampa? What days will you be here?
Going in and out of Tampa. Sat(3/24) -> Sat (3/31). Will have a rental car. Because we land in afternoon getting to the Rowdies game may be tough to pitch to the Mrs. However, the O's on the 25th is very likely. Will spend some days being lazy. Probably hit the Dali museum, but really could see us get in the car to do something fun.
You shouldn't have a problem getting a Rowdies ticket. They don't generally sell out, although first game of the season is generally one of the harder game to get seats for. If you do go to a Rowdies game, there's quite a few good restaurants, breweries and bars that are walkable from the stadium. There's also a little strip up near Tropicana field that has more and more good food and beverage options.

If you're into craft beer, there are a ton of good microbreweries that are generally kid friendly.

When I head to the beach, I usually go down to Anna Maria Island, so I don't have much to offer as far as Indian Rocks is concerned.

The Lightning host the Coyotes on Monday the 26th. Those games always sell out, but I'd bet you can find cheap tix for that game now. Monday nights against Western Conference opposition is probably the easiest ticket to get.

You're down here after local schools are on spring break, so that should mean less people looking to do the same thing. However, you're here for the last week of snowbird season, so there may be a ton of retirees about.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pass-A-Grille Beach, Skipper's Smoke House over in N Tampa, and I can't think of it right now, but there's some really nice lunch/brew pub spots to be had in Dunedin...
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Dunedin Brewery is kind of the flagship craft brewery in this area. They do good bar food, and have quite a few tasty beer options. If you go there, you can walk to at least 5 other breweries.

Skippers is great too, but I can't see driving there from Indian Rocks, unless you're really into whoever is playing that night.

The Reading Room is a new restaurant that is getting really good reviews, that's close-ish to Indian Rocks.

This recent top 50 restaurants in the area list is pretty spot on.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

restaurants...i liked crabby bills for seafood, and they have a lobster claw machine where if you win it they will cook it free. also they have an amazing crab cake sandwich. its more formal, but aquaknox was the best meal i ever had in tampa. Dali museum was amazingly cool, and i also really enjoyed a pool hall called racks
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

TT2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:53 pm restaurants...i liked crabby bills for seafood, and they have a lobster claw machine where if you win it they will cook it free. also they have an amazing crab cake sandwich. its more formal, but aquaknox was the best meal i ever had in tampa. Dali museum was amazingly cool, and i also really enjoyed a pool hall called racks
Unfortunately, Racks is no longer.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:51 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:53 pm restaurants...i liked crabby bills for seafood, and they have a lobster claw machine where if you win it they will cook it free. also they have an amazing crab cake sandwich. its more formal, but aquaknox was the best meal i ever had in tampa. Dali museum was amazingly cool, and i also really enjoyed a pool hall called racks
Unfortunately, Racks is no longer.
this hurts. granted i left in 2010 & will never return but still...i liked that place
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Woodwright Brewing just down the street from Dunedin Brewery is new & pretty good
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Baloney wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 am Woodwright Brewing just down the street from Dunedin Brewery is new & pretty good
Agreed. Seventh Sun and Cueni are also a short walk away. This cluster of microbreweries is about a 30 minute drive from Indian Rocks.