New Car???

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

New Car???

Post by Square Rob »

Ok, so I might get the first and only brand new car of my life. Wife has a company car, so we only have one car payment. I gave my perfectly fine Altima to our niece last year, so have been driving my wife's hybrid Camry since then. It's also a perfectly fine car, but would never be my choice. I've never had a truck, and since we just moved into a lovely new house at which we want to do shit, a truck would be very useful. We test drove a crew cab '18 GMC Sierra and really like it. A shit ton of room, extremely comfortable, Incredible deal ($12k in dealer and maker rebates right now). But holy shit not sure I'm ready to go from 40 to 18 MPG. Wife is also not 100% comfortable driving something that big (insert dick joke).

So, we're going to test drive a Land Rover discovery sport today. Gives us luxury, a little more hauling space than a Camry trunk, pricing is better than the truck, and gas mileage is clearly better. Also going to test drive a Mercedes SUV, which has even more space than the LR at a similar price.

Any suggestions?

Car shopping has been crazy eye opening though. Insane how much trucks cost, yet I see them everywhere. Wife and I both do well, are in the top half of the upper middle in our area, yet I see all of these 50-60k vehicles on the road. I just know if I show up to work in a $40k Land Rover all the people will be like 'ohh look at the rich snob. We know who got paid in his new job...' all from their 50k F250.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: New Car???

Post by HaulCitgo »

Trucks are insanely expensive. Really want one but can't justify outside of a Nissan frontier. Would like to see the new Ford rangers but I've been waiting a while and I'm sure they'll be expensive too. Would gladly take a used Toyota Tacoma but there isn't much discount and I'd lose the warranty. I'm going to be thrust into a purchase soon cause I'm riding on 210k so I'm trying to stay knowledgeable so I can pull the trigger quick. Right now I'm a bit disappointed to be staring at a Passat or fusion.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I wouldn’t buy a GM truck because of those awful commercials.

We drive a Lincoln MKX and absolutely love it. Best car I’ve ever had.
Last edited by Giff on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

But it's not just trucks. A fucking Ford Explorer can run you $45k. Nuts.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I intended to buy a used SUV about 18 months ago, but after being limited by a couple factors (budget, garage size, what was available in the local used market), I did a pretty fair amount of research and decided on a new 2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring (mid-level option package) with sticker under $27K. Very, very happy with the purchase.

A little over 21,000 miles later, mileage has been just over 27 MPG (listed 24 city/30 highway) and the cargo area is bigger than my old Cherokee's. MIght be worth a test drive to see what you think.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A million years ago I ran a rental car branch out of a Land Rover dealership. Those things were a service nightmare. That was a long time ago. Just saying.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm very much not a car guy, but I don't get Land Rovers from a looks standpoint. They're angular and boxy as fuck. (Or were before and I've never noticed a change?)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

if yall wait a couple months for the estate stuff to clear i can get you a splendid deal on a 2016 f150 with 45k miles or a ford edge with 36k miles...my godfather passed and we are gonna have to sell his vehicles
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:12 am I'm very much not a car guy, but I don't get Land Rovers from a looks standpoint. They're angular and boxy as fuck. (Or were before and I've never noticed a change?)
They’re for people with utility pockets in their really expensive clothing and outerwear.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I had a used LR Discovery (was probably a late '90's or early '00's), and traded it right before our oldest was born. It was crazy expensive to maintain, and the gas mileage was horrible. That being said, I LOVED driving it. The vantage from the driver's seat was fantastic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

We're going with the Sierra. The Land Rover discovery sport was a little disappointing for the wife. I liked it, she did not. We also drove the new discovery, and it was awesome. Felt like you were in a luxury car. That said, the price was too much, and the gas mileage was barely better than the pick up. We drove a Mercedes GLC class and it was super fun to drive, but too small. All in all, would prefer the discovery, but not at 33% more in price. Very happy with the sierra. Mine will deliver on Monday.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

FWIW, I love my 2013 Tahoe. I imagine your Sierra will drive and handle similarly.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

But. Why buy new? Even if you can afford it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If mileage is a concern, there are hybrid SUVs out there.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

A_B wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 pm But. Why buy new? Even if you can afford it.
It largely depends on the resale value of the car to me. There's also the benefit of new-specific warranties and service benefits. Given the rebates I got, I'm getting a brand spanking new vehicle with much better care options and a longer life horizon for only a small percentage more than a similar used car sitting across the street.

Besides, if it was just an economic decision I'd not be shopping in the first place. My Camry is paid off, and uses half the fuel. The green side of me has a little guilt at that. That said I save much much more in greenhouse gas reductions each day at work than I would in a lifetime of truck driving so I guess fair trade. With our recent move I'm also much closer to work, so less miles each way as well.

Last point is, I've been driving used cars my whole life. For once I wanted something that I picked out. Doesn't make a whit of rational sense, but it matters to me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its anecdotal as fuck, but I've never heard of someone having perpetual issues with their new car. Buy new and drive into the ground.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 pm Its anecdotal as fuck, but I've never heard of someone having perpetual issues with their new car. Buy new and drive into the ground.
Yeah, I'm always worried that with a used car, you might be buying somebody else's problem.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I guess I’ve just had abnormally good luck with used cars then.

It’s your money! Really none of my business of course.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

mister d wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:12 am I'm very much not a car guy, but I don't get Land Rovers from a looks standpoint. They're angular and boxy as fuck. (Or were before and I've never noticed a change?)
I really really like the new models. They are much sleeker and sportier than the old ones.

Discovery:

Discovery Sport:

Velar:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That does look infinitely better. My opinions were formed back when going to the mall was a thing and the fancy malls might have a Range Rover inside and the corners of the roof could have sliced your hand open.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:04 pm
mister d wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 pm Its anecdotal as fuck, but I've never heard of someone having perpetual issues with their new car. Buy new and drive into the ground.
Yeah, I'm always worried that with a used car, you might be buying somebody else's problem.
Me too, though I have purchased exclusively used cars until my recent purchase and my wife's current lease. I've never had any issues with any used cars, but 2 out of 4 I bought from my father, who I know takes great care of his cars. It is nice to buy a car knowing nobody else owned it. Hell, it had 9 miles on it.

If I didn't follow up on the TrueCar discussion, I ended up getting a better deal and having zero negotiating or bullshitting. Price was locked in, even though I waited a few weeks and the price went up. I told them I was coming in, and they had the exact car I wanted waiting when I got there.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

bfj wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:01 am A million years ago I ran a rental car branch out of a Land Rover dealership. Those things were a service nightmare. That was a long time ago. Just saying.
Im glad I didn't go this route. Loved that ride, but having reviewed some shit since, yours isn't the only anecdote like that.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:56 am if yall wait a couple months for the estate stuff to clear i can get you a splendid deal on a 2016 f150 with 45k miles or a ford edge with 36k miles...my godfather passed and we are gonna have to sell his vehicles
No joke, I'm interested in that F150. Contact me when you're ready to talk. I need a new work truck and would be willing to take a road trip for the right deal.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My son the car fanatic says that Land Rovers are notorious lemons. Granted, he's never driven one.

I have spent 9 years in my Honda CRV without any major issues whatsoever. Before that, 9 years in a Toyota Sienna minivan. Same story.

not the sleekest models, but I will swear by the quality of both Honda and Toyota.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:02 am
TT2.0 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:56 am if yall wait a couple months for the estate stuff to clear i can get you a splendid deal on a 2016 f150 with 45k miles or a ford edge with 36k miles...my godfather passed and we are gonna have to sell his vehicles
No joke, I'm interested in that F150. Contact me when you're ready to talk. I need a new work truck and would be willing to take a road trip for the right deal.

will do. i have no idea how long the estate stuff is gonna take though
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!