The Official Broadway and Musical Theater Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

The Official Broadway and Musical Theater Thread

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m hope I’m not talking to myself here.

Anyway, I’m taking The Woman to her first Broadway show in a few weeks, The Book of Mormon to be exact. So she’s never seen one before. Do you think it might be worth it to show her a movie one so she gets used to the conventions of people just breaking into song? I was thinking of starting her off with West Side Story, as it’s arguably the best musical ever, and I’ve been playing the hell out of “Somewhere” these last few days.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The Official Broadway and Musical Theater Thread

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:48 pm I’m hope I’m not talking to myself here.

Anyway, I’m taking The Woman to her first Broadway show in a few weeks, The Book of Mormon to be exact. So she’s never seen one before. Do you think it might be worth it to show her a movie one so she gets used to the conventions of people just breaking into song? I was thinking of starting her off with West Side Story, as it’s arguably the best musical ever, and I’ve been playing the hell out of “Somewhere” these last few days.
She's seen movie musicals before, right? It's not an uncommon genre, so I think you'll be fine. I think the bigger issue for some folks with The Book of Mormon is the satire of the religion. I think that makes some folks squirm a bit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

She hasn’t seen any movie musicals before either. That’s the rub. Her only experience with musicals is when the dudes from Hamilton opened the Grammys a few years back.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I would have her go in cold. Don't try to prep her with a movie musical. Too much extra production involved. I can't imagine someone living right now that has never seen musical theater. Not even a production during high school or college?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Book of Mormon starts out with song pretty much right away. And it's the funniest fucking thing I've seen in a long time. Took the family to see it this summer and we all loved it. I've never laughed so hard. The whole audience was in an uproar in the first song. It does get quite a bit rougher (more profane, sacrilegious and possibly racist) later on, but if you aren't too sensitive, it's a great time.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don’t know if it was years of exposure to South Park (and Baseketball and Team America and Parker/Stone’s humor in general) but I was merely whelmed by Book of Mormon. I definitely laughed, but maybe my expectations were too high.

But I’m sure you’ll love it...

You could probably see the shittiest show available and the novelty would carry the day, and BoM definitely isn’t that.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Musicals don’t really need an introduction beyond, “There will be singing.”

You guys will love it. The Book of Mormon is very funny.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:32 pm I don’t know if it was years of exposure to South Park (and Baseketball and Team America and Parker/Stone’s humor in general) but I was merely whelmed by Book of Mormon. I definitely laughed, but maybe my expectations were too high.

But I’m sure you’ll love it...

You could probably see the shittiest show available and the novelty would carry the day, and BoM definitely isn’t that.
I'm with Rass.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’m definitely excited. I used to see two or three shows a year, but I haven’t been up in about 5 years. So there are a ton of shows that would be new to me as well.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

One of the downsides of living where I do is the limited theater scene. Mr. Moreta and I went to a musical Game of Thrones parody last night that was amusing though.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The only tune I can still remember this morning is the one from the King’s interludes.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I thought it was tremendous. The In the Room piece is a showstopper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

To be clear, I wasn’t denigrating the rest of the show. It’s just that “la la la la” was the only tune I could recall this morning. Listened to the soundtrack while doing dinner prep just now and I guess I needed some of them reinforced.

Jefferson’s entrance was fun, but as far as showstoppers, the piece I liked the most in the moment was the rewind and Angelica’s subsequent big number.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rewind was also unreal, agreed. That was my first time seeing it, and I guess I was doing the cynical “ what’s the fuss all about” thing, but, damn. It really was all that.

The first duel explanation piece is also memorable as hell.

My only “complaint” was that I literally knew almost nothing about it and the audience cheering madly at entrances because they knew the characters and beats was a bit weird as a first time viewer.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We started it. I’ve heard the whole thing about 50 times but it’s neat to see it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

We saw the show in Chicago, but to see, as my daughters call them, the OG cast was amazing. The dancing and facial expressions were outstanding.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I’ll have to check it out. I saw it on Broadway back in December, but it’d be great to see it with the OG cast.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kids had me watching last night too. Had no idea why. Fell asleep but songs are mostly fun. Understood more subtlety this time though. Probably would happen the next 50 times.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:16 am To be clear, I wasn’t denigrating the rest of the show. It’s just that “la la la la” was the only tune I could recall this morning. Listened to the soundtrack while doing dinner prep just now and I guess I needed some of them reinforced.

Jefferson’s entrance was fun, but as far as showstoppers, the piece I liked the most in the moment was the rewind and Angelica’s subsequent big number.
How do I get on that schedule? You make dinner at 8am everyday or getting the barbeque ready?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, marinatin’
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched it last night. This was my first exposure to it (I'd only heard the 'not miss my shot' take-off when L-MM hosted SNL).

It was good. I was entertained. It was really long though. The King's interludes were funny. Jefferson was cool. It was a lot less 'hip-hop' then I was expecting. Seemed like it was mostly the classic Broadway tunes. The staging and dancing were great.

And here's my hot take: Lin-Manuel Miranda, for all his amazing talent, was the weak link in the cast. He's not that a great of an actor, and his singing was nowhere on the same level as everyone else.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:39 am And here's my hot take: Lin-Manuel Miranda, for all his amazing talent, was the weak link in the cast. He's not that a great of an actor, and his singing was nowhere on the same level as everyone else.
I would agree with this. He definitely was the weakest singer.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Re-watching it actually - he may be the weakest singer but he does a great job holding the center of the action, and his stage presence is on-point.

This really is a fantastic work of art.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Easily the weakest “classic” singer of the main cast but not a detraction.

And 12 hours and ??? drinks later I just sliced my thumb open trying to wrap up dinner.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Let’s say I’m a 41 year old white dad who was legit kinda mad when I heard “I’m only 19 but my mind is older” in a Hamilton song. Is there any point in trying to watch or am I not the demo?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He’s scrappy! Like his country!

If that really pissed you off and your kids are too young to be aware of it then stick with Trolls World Tour.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

This 41-year-old white dad who literally just got done with it thought it was great and wishes he knew way more about the subject ahead of time so he wasn't straining to understand every lyric. That aside, it was an amazing thing to watch.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ryan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:49 pm This 41-year-old white dad who literally just got done with it thought it was great and wishes he knew way more about the subject ahead of time so he wasn't straining to understand every lyric. That aside, it was an amazing thing to watch.
Captions helped a fuckton. Loved it twice.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Ryan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:49 pm This 41-year-old white dad who literally just got done with it thought it was great and wishes he knew way more about the subject ahead of time so he wasn't straining to understand every lyric. That aside, it was an amazing thing to watch.
I stand by my not a hot take that UNH (and LaSalle) are lacklustre schools. History 101 c'mon.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I saw it in London a few years ago as a 47ish-year-old white dad and I thought it was great. An incredible piece of art, as bengal put it. I'd had no exposure to the songs, so I'm sure I missed 50% of the lyrics, but it was still incredible.

And the guy I saw as Hamilton was a dead ringer for former Virginia point guard London Perrantes, so that was cool too.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just finished it up an hour or so ago and was entertained from beginning to end. The music was excellent and the interspersed jokes were great. Everything's legal in New Jersey.

I'm kinda mad that that I didn't learn more about Hamilton in school the way I learned about everyone else they highlighted.

I might watch it again if I get bored. We'll see.
mister d wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:18 pm Let’s say I’m a 41 year old white dad who was legit kinda mad when I heard “I’m only 19 but my mind is older” in a Hamilton song. Is there any point in trying to watch or am I not the demo?
But did you like the Ten Duel Commandments? And there were definitely a couple more lyrics from hip hop songs, but I'm spacing.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Christ.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.