Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - FINAL AWARDS & SEASON WRAP-UP

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - WEEK 25 UPDATE

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:00 am
- Pruitt came down with a mild abdominal strain and then a quadriceps strain while running the bases, leaving him day-to-day with a likely minimal effect.
Maybe it's time to start stretching before games.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:00 am NEWS AND NOTES:

- EnochRoot's "wrist soreness" diagnosis has been extended to keep him day-to-day for an indefinite period of time. Dammit Enoch, quit beating off!

- Then again, playing through the injury, EnochRoot had maybe his best week of the year, going 14-for-31 with 2 HRs. So...keep beating off, I guess?
It’s psalm sunday, over and over, sung to the music of The Courtship of Eddie’s Father!
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Just a heads up, I'm on vacation this week...I have the final week done, just need to figure out a way to post the usual updates remotely.

If not, will post early next week and get started with the playoffs (if you made it, of course).
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - END REGULAR SEASON + PLAYOFF PICTURE

Post by Johnny Carwash »

WEEK 26 UPDATE

Image Burlington Sports Frogs
The Sports Frogs ended up with a wild-card berth after losing out to Middlesex for the division title by one game. It came down to the wire, but in the end Burlington was unable to pull a Chris Hansen and catch the Offenders. In a few days they will host the Dundalk Old Bays for the one-off Wild Card Game. The Frogs should have three pitchers fully rested by that time: TT2.0, govmentchedda, and Sabo. I've put up a poll to let you guys determine who will start.

- This Week: 4-3
- Season: 97-65 (2nd in Div, 1 GB)
- League Power Ranking: 5th

Image Holland Oats
The Oats held off a late-season charge from Parma to clinch the Midwest Division title. Helped by a final sweep of league-worst Manassas, Holland won the division by three games. For the playoffs, the Oats got the luck of the draw and will face the Pacific Division champion Boise Huckleberries, who had the worst record among playoff teams--not to say that anything should be taken for granted, though.

- This Week: 5-2
- Season: 95-67 (1st in Div)
- League Power Ranking: 4th

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

NEWS AND NOTES:

- Gunpowder ended up leading the Bensell Conference with 51 home runs, but fell one short of the overall league lead to Alvaro Terrazas of Rockford.

- Shirley tied for the Bensell Conference lead with 43 saves.

- degenerasian just barely lost out on the Shrew Conference ERA title by being a snowflake and leaving his last start in the first inning with a finger blister. He should be OK for the playoffs, though.

- Brontoburglar, who surprisingly made it through most of of the season without any major injuries, came down with "chronic back soreness" in the final week of the season and may be out until the Conference Championship round of the playoffs, if the Frogs make it that far.

- Utica's Victor Espinoza, who was hitting in the .450s at the All-Star break, tailed off in the second half of the season but finished at an even .400. Congratul—wait, fuck Utica.

- Rookie sensation Chris "Last Resort" Funk of the Fort Myers Manatees led the league with 92 stolen bases, being caught an incredibly miniscule 4 times.

- The Swamp's own Joe K finished a spectacular season for the Ajax Fighting Hosers with a 19-6 record, leading the league in ERA at 1.80 and strikeouts with 261.

Image Burlington Stats

Image Holland Stats
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

FINAL REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS

Site pages are updated.

SWAMP BASEBALL LEAGUE

League Home
Standings
Team Index

Image Burlington Sports Frogs
Team Home Page
Batting Stats
Pitching Stats
Schedule

Image Holland Oats
Team Home Page
Batting Stats
Pitching Stats
Schedule
Ryan
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - END REGULAR SEASON + PLAYOFF PICTURE (plus poll)

Post by Ryan »

Full faith in G-Chedd. Do not blow it.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - END REGULAR SEASON + PLAYOFF PICTURE (plus poll)

Post by wlu_lax6 »

What was not added to the thread was the frogs just gave an 8 year deal to Sabo worth $118,500,000. Nothing like going into the playoffs with that taken care of....and setting off virtual wlu_lax6 with "what about me".
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Keeping my head down, playing my role. I like it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:31 am What was not added to the thread was the frogs just gave an 8 year deal to Sabo worth $118,500,000. Nothing like going into the playoffs with that taken care of....and setting off virtual wlu_lax6 with "what about me".
You kind of got ahead of me here (of course you did!), but during the last days of the season I started the contract negotiations with pending free agents. The whole "who do we re-sign?" thing last year was a sort of way of determining who'd go to another team, so to keep it simple this year I went ahead and just submitted offers to the pending FA's from their current teams. I gave everyone what I thought was a reasonable offer in relation to their demands. So far, a few have re-signed (like Sabo), while others haven't responded yet (like wlu_lax).

Here's who has re-signed so far:
  • Sabo ($118M, 5 years)
  • DSafetyGuy ($3.2M, 2 years)
  • howard ($3.8M, 1 year)
  • Nonlinear FC ($7M, 2 years)
  • steve ($2.6M, 2 years)
Heres's who we're still awaiting word from:
  • wlu_lax (offered $210M, 7 years)
  • BrontoBurglar (offered $80M, 7 years)
  • Jerloma (offered $60M, 5 years)
  • Avram (offered $1.5M, 1 year)
  • L-Jam (wants $33M, 4 years)
Oh, and look at what a smug bastard L-Jam was in response to my reasonable offer of $6M a year to be a setup man:

Still thinking of how to handle this...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sweet!

I can now go all in on that A-frame I've been eyeballing on the shores of Lake Macatawa!

Putting down roots in the Tulip Capital of the... I don't, Midwest?
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i voted for myself in the poll because i didnt wanna get blanked but unofficially i was heard hoping chedda gets the start. full faith
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - PLAYOFFS!

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Alright, so as you can see above, govmentchedda overwhelmingly won the vote and will start for Burlington in the Wild Card game vs. Dundalk. The Oats' series with Boise will begin later in the week.

It seemed like last year's approach of doing the playoffs in daily updates was well-received, so I'll do it the same way this year. I'll also put the full boxscores/recaps up front in the posts as before.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

PLAYOFF PREVIEW
Here are some quick capsules for the other playoff teams if you're interested...

Image Middlesex Offenders
The O's were one of the league's biggest surprises this year, improving by more than 20 wins to capture the Northeast division title despite not making any major offseason acquisitions. Instead, their improvement was driven by several returning players having breakout seasons along with some promising rookies. Offensively, Middlesex is led by MVP candidate 2B Felipe 'Skates' Bernal and OF John Marbach, though the team's offense drops off a ways after those two. The real driver behind the Offenders' turnaround has been their starting rotation, where imposing Aruban Dobbe 'Bootleg' Hendriks and Venezuelan sparkplug Bobby Guillen drastically improved their performance from a year ago.

Image Wilmington Creditors
The Creditors captured the Mid-Atlantic division for the second straight year, thanks to their stellar offense. First baseman Miguel Rivera racked up 40 HRs and a league-leading 154 RBI, while outfielder Cameron 'Beanpole' Jonas hit a sizzling .371 with 47 steals. From top to bottom, seven of Wilmington's eight regular starters hit at least .292 as they led the conference in batting average, OBP, and total runs scored. Their pitching staff is anchored by established ace Matt Michael who went 20-6 with a 2.78 ERA, though the rotation beyond him is somewhat spotty and may be a vulnerability in the postseason.

Image Dundalk Old Bays
The Old Bays improved from a middle-of-the pack team last year to grab the second Wild Card spot with 92 wins. Offensively, they have an imposing middle of the order with 1B Angel 'Avenger' Guerrero, SS Willie 'Mayday' Maestas, and OF Sean 'Franchise' McNulty. Their above-average but unspectacular pitching staff is led by the stylishly sideburned Gary Stone, who will face Burlington in the Wild Card Game.

Image Ajax Fighting Hosers
Canadian champions Ajax leaped from a .500 team last year to finish with the Bensell Conference's best record, thanks in a very large part to their offseason coup of signing starting pitcher Joe K away from Utica. A virtual slam-dunk for the Cy Young award, the righthander finished with a 19-6 record, leading the league with a 1.80 ERA and 261 strikeouts. Joe K's searing fastball approaches 100 MPH, while he keeps hitters off balance by talking continuously about why Hillary lost. On the offensive side, the Hosers have a solid lineup featuring RF Jimmy 'Blockhead' Arnold with a .359 average and 3B Guadalupe 'Trucker' Tellez adding 29 HRs.

Image Parma Ham Fighters
The Ham Fighters lost out to Holland for the division title during the season's final week, but hung on for a wild-card spot. A strong pitching team, their starting rotation features several solid arms led by ace Chris Plank, along with 20-win lefty Andy 'Fat Cat' Duchene and 19-win righty Matt Breidenbach. Their offense is led off by fleet CF Tony Ramos with 3B Luke 'Frisky' Dunnells anchoring the middle of the order, though the production in between leaves something to be desired.

Image Corpus Christi Brinkleys
Corpus Christi roared to the league's best record, finishing with 110 wins and easily securing home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Offensively, star LF Wilson 'Bye Bye' Rosiles is joined in the lineup by several other capable bats, though the real story of the Brinkleys' success lies in their elite pitching staff, with shades of the '90s Atlanta Braves. Boasting four starters that could have easily been the ace of just about any other team—Rory Strachan, Jimmy Floyd, Sergio Guzman, Max Fernandez—Corpus Christi led the conference in nearly every major pitching category, including ERA, strikeouts, lowest opponents' average, and fewest home runs allowed. Capping things off is closer Raul Villatoro, who led the league with 49 saves while registering a miniscule ERA of 0.44. Be warned.

Image Shreveport Ratchets
The formidable Ratchets finished with the league's second-best record, but the misfortune of playing in the same division as Corpus Christi meant having to settle for a Wild Card berth. Shreveport's explosive offense topped the conference in almost every major stat including batting average, OBP, home runs, and total runs scored. Anchoring the lineup is the towering presence of 1B Jonathan 'Elastic Man' Herrera, who despite missing nearly 50 games still posted 39 HRs and 123 RBI, while leading the conference with an incredible .395 average. Joining him in the murderer's row are 2B Tyler 'No Neck' Hodgson and a host of other All-Star caliber hitters; in all, six of the Ratchets' eight regulars hit at least .296, five hit at least 27 HRs, and an amazing six had more than 100 RBI. Pitching-wise, ace starter John 'Interceptor' Walker put up another stellar season, but beyond him the staff is just about average.

Image Boise Huckleberries
The 84-win Huckleberries eked out a victory in the league's weakest division to find themselves in the playoffs, where they'll face a steep uphill climb. Their offense features several noteworthy players such as 3B Angel Perez and 1B Felipe 'Vermin' Brito, but their pitching is suspect, lacking any starters that could be considered notably above-average. Beyond that, there isn't too much interesting to say about them. You know...like Boise.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:24 am Image
Can't wait to bring a few fastballs with me to 1600 Penn in a month.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 am Heres's who we're still awaiting word from:
Oh, and look at what a smug bastard L-Jam was in response to my reasonable offer of $6M a year to be a setup man:

Just like fellow Philly-area athlete Rasheed Wallace put it, CTC. Cut That Check.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:06 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 am Heres's who we're still awaiting word from:

Just like fellow Philly-area athlete Rasheed Wallace put it, CTC. Cut That Check.
Wonder if the Oats will offer $220M
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - WILD CARD RESULTS + Poll

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Thrilling Win Pushes Burlington to Next Round
The Burlington Sports Frogs' World Series dreams are still alive, as they've ousted the Dundalk Old Bays in the Wildcard Series, by a score of 4-1.

Green Mountain Grounds played host to the one-game showdown, as Burlington was paced by the strong pitching of govmentchedda, who was named MVP. He threw 8 innings, with 6 strikeouts, while allowing 5 hits, 3 walks and no runs.

"It won't be the last time we see Dundalk in the playoffs, I'm sure of that," govmentchedda said. "We're happy to come out of it with the win."

The Burlington Sports Frogs will play against the Ajax Fighting Hosers in the next round.

The auto-generated recap didn't do a very good job of describing the game, so here's a quick summary:
  1. Burlington went up 1-0 in the 7th when Pruitt hit a double that scored Gunpowder.
  2. govmentchedda pitched 8 scoreless innings before giving way to Shirley for the 9th.
  3. Shirley gave up 2 hits and a sac fly to let Dundalk tie the game 1-1.
  4. In the bottom of the 9th, Rex pinch-hit a 3-run HR with GoodKarma and Ryan aboard for the walkoff win. Shirley got the W despite blowing the save.
Expand the spoiler tags below to see the full box score along with video highlights:

[+] EXPAND FOR FULL BOX SCORE
[+] EXPAND FOR HIGHLIGHTS
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - WILD CARD RESULTS + POLL

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

As noted above, Burlington advances to the Divisional Round where they will face Ajax. Holland's series with Boise begins later this week as well.

Vote in the new poll for the playoff pitching rotation for each team. Taking a page from Ryan's flag tournament, the intent is to select one option for each team.

In the other Wild Card game, Parma upset Shreveport and will advance to face Corpus Christi. Wilmington faces Middlesex for the final Divisional Round matchup.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I kind of hopped around the video highlights. A couple of baserunning oddities... On the tag up run that Dundalk scored, there was a runner on first who didn't tag and advance to second. Not a big deal, but that dude is getting fined in the kangaroo court for sure.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Makes sense, Dave Martinez!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That was very exciting!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Looks like Burlington narrowly voted to go the old school route and start a three-man rotation of Sabo, brian, and govmentchedda. Holland will go with the more conventional four-starter rotation of degenerasian, Rush2112, howard, and Moreta.

The Divisional round kicks off with Burlington facing Ajax at the Hoserdome, with Sabo going up against ace Joe K. Holland, meanwhile, will start off at home against Boise, with degen making the start against the Huckleberries' Pat Crutcher.

I should have the first game results up tomorrow. Good luck.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - DIVISION SERIES GAME 1

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Oats, Huckleberries Play 10 to Settle Game 1, Holland Now Leads Series 1-0
When the games really matter, the Holland Oats put on their best show, beating the Boise Huckleberries by a final score of 3-2 today. Pat Crutcher earned player of the game honors, as he threw 6 innings of 4-hit ball. Holland now leads Boise 1-0 in the best-of-5 affair.

Late in the game, third baseman P.D.X. had a big at-bat for Holland. In the bottom of the tenth, he hit a run-scoring single off Isaiah 'Puke' Thomas. The play gave the Oats a 3-2 lead.

"I like the grit of this ballclub," P.D.X. said.

The next game is scheduled for tomorrow in Holland. The scheduled starters for the game are Leo Lopez for Boise and Rush2112 for Holland.

Note: degenerasian left the game in the 2nd inning with "wrist soreness" but should be OK for his next start.
Last edited by Johnny Carwash on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sports Frogs, Fighting Hosers Play 13 to Settle Game 1, Burlington Now Leads Series 1-0
When the games really matter, the Burlington Sports Frogs put on their best show, beating the Ajax Fighting Hosers by a final score of 9-7 today. A_B earned player of the game honors, as he was 3-7 with a double and 2 singles, while adding 3 RBI and scoring once. Burlington now leads Ajax 1-0 in the best-of-5 affair.

The most crucial at-bat for Burlington came in the top of the 13th inning. That's when A_B stroked a first pitch fastball to left for a bases-clearing double, putting Burlington up, 9-6.

"Winning the game is always the first objective," A_B said.

Game 2 is set to be played tomorrow in Ajax. The scheduled starters for the game are Brian for Burlington and Jake Broyles for Ajax.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Clutch. But my knees hurt, now.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

A few times this year I've had wrist problems
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

...A_B stroked a...ball.s-clearing ...o...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

degenerasian wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:51 am A few times this year I've had wrist problems
You are supposed to ease up on that after you get married.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's "Mr. October" to you.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Can you make us kneel for the anthem?
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - DIVISION SERIES GAME 2

Post by Johnny Carwash »

BURLINGTON vs. AJAX - DIVISION SERIES GAME 2

Raucous Hoserdome Crowd Propels Ajax
The Ajax Fighting Hosers knotted up the Division Series at The Hoserdome today, thanks in large part to starter Jake Broyles. Broyles quieted the Burlington Sports Frogs, enabling Ajax to grab the 5-0 win and move into a 1-1 tie in the best-of-5 series.

Burlington had little success against Broyles and his curveball. Broyles tossed 105 pitches over 7.1 innings for the Fighting Hosers.

"We cashed in when we had the chance," said Ajax manager Carlos Perez.

The next game is set to be played Tuesday. The scheduled starters for the game are Josh Cloutier for the Ajax Fighting Hosers and govmentchedda for the the Burlington Sports Frogs.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

HOLLAND VS. BOISE - DIVISION SERIES GAME 2

Boise Win Evens Series at 1
Leave it to the veteran.

The Boise Huckleberries got a great start from 35-year-old left-hander Leo Lopez, who earned player of the game honors today as Boise won the contest 7-2 at Spring Brook Supply Field. Lopez threw 9 innings of 8-hit ball in the win, which knotted the best-of-5 series at 1-1.

Kevon Bradley aided the Boise cause with a run-scoring single in the top of the seventh. For the game, the shortstop went 1-4.

"Winning the game is always the first objective," Bradley said.

The next game is scheduled for Monday, October 8th, 2018 at Huckleberry Park in Boise. The scheduled starters for the game are howard for the Holland Oats and Miguel Avila for the the Boise Huckleberries.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Not good when your two top batters are below sub .100 for the series.