Post by rass »

Touch Park/Field/Stadium

(just for the HR calls)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - *Poll - Team Uniform*

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So uniform #4 has pulled ahead, but I'll wait for a few more votes to come in before closing the poll.

In the meantime, here's the preliminary plan for how the rosters of our two teams will shake out. The Oats include all of the Sports Frogs' unsigned free agents from last year, plus a few more guys moved over to give them more playing time. Names in green are people who didn't offically sign up, but are included to fill out the rosters. And yes, I moved J-Lo from Woonsocket to the Oats, deal with it.

If you have a really strong preference to be a Sports Frog or an Oat and want to move from where you are shown below, let me know, otherwise I will move forward with these rosters:

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Two Hoosier and a D in the OF. I like it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 am Two Hoosier and a D in the OF. I like it.
You guys need to watch your backs. I'm gunnin' for the #1 spot. (Well, in this instance #8 spot, for the sake of clarity.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:56 am
BSF21 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 am Two Hoosier and a D in the OF. I like it.
You guys need to watch your backs. I'm gunnin' for the #1 spot. (Well, in this instance #8 spot, for the sake of clarity.)
I've already lost one starting job, how much worse can it get?

I hope skip got good value for me in the trade. Bag of baseballs and a couple spare batting gloves at least.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 amThe Baum Shelter
Love it!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 am Two... D... in... I like it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - *Poll - Team Uniform + Rosters*

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Alright, one more thing for the week. We need to decide which team the Holland Oats will replace. Here are the teams from that division last year:

I guess the natural choice would be Kalamazoo, since it's only ~60 miles from Holland; but then again, keeping them there would give us a rivalry, plus it wouldn't be the same without the Meat Gayzers around. What say you, Swamp? Which team should become the Oats?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Duluth must go.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

If we're going by the most tortured team name, I'd say Duluth.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’d hate to lose that great Duluth team name. I say lose the Stoners
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Seconded on losing the Stoners. While a definitively accurate statement, Duluth has a much better name.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

What did Sabo and mulligan ever do to you guys?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Dropping Athens would have the benefit of decreasing the chance Sabo leaves when his contract is up, though.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

lose the stoners. its the only unfunny unclever name
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A few updates for the weekend:

- Uniform option #4 (the retro Astros inspired one) won the poll and will be the Holland Oats primary uniform for the year.
- The Holland Oats will replace the Athens Stoners in the league.
- The rosters posted Friday breaking down everyone between Frogs and Oats are now set, as there were no objections.
- Here are the Oats' minor league teams, using some of the names suggested before:
  • Billings Cycles - AAA
  • Pensacola Cocas - AA
  • Dubuque Skylarks - A
  • Tupelo Honeys - Short Season A
  • Watts Happenings - Rookie
Will be back next week with the team intros and player cards for the new season.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:10 pm A few updates for the weekend:
- Here are the Oats' minor league teams, using some of the names suggested before:
  • Billings Cycles - AAA
  • Pensacola Cocas - AA
  • Dubuque Skylarks - A
  • Tupelo Honeys - Short Season A
  • Watts Happenings - Rookie
Great work on the names! Unbelievably funny.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:23 am
Pruitt wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:29 am Gotta be #4.

Also had a really nice stroke for a pitcher.
This post was under-appreciated.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I worked on the Holland Oats logo to make it look a little more polished while still keeping with the same general concept:

Image Image
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:43 am I worked on the Holland Oats logo to make it look a little more polished while still keeping with the same general concept:

Image Image
Any way we could get a baseball card with the team name on it? I smell another FB profile picture.

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - *Profiles and Player Cards - Burlington*

Post by Johnny Carwash »

BURLINGTON SPORTS FROGS - 2018

After battling their way to a division title in the closing days of the season, the Sports Frogs went on a tear through the playoffs, dropping just one postseason game en route to capturing the inaugural Swamp Baseball League title. The offseason, however, saw an exodus of several key players and former prospects. The Frogs will look to some of last year's part-timers along with some new faces to pick up the slack as they begin the quest to defend their crown.

STARTING LINEUP

2018 Salary: $8.1 M

Though overshadowed somewhat by wlu_lax and Pruitt, A_B secured an All-Star berth with a fine season of his own. He also established himself as a team leader, as evidenced by his drunken late-night PMs to his manager offering to give other guys playing time. One of the league's better-hitting catchers, A_B has a nice, even stroke and good power to the gaps. He is a dependable defensive catcher who can also play first in a pinch. He continues to be slow as shit on the basepaths.

Head Scout says: "To call A_B a perfectionist is an understatement."

2018 Salary: $9.6 M (contract year)

Brontoburglar put up outstanding numbers during his time in the lineup, and might have contended for a batting title had he not been such a delicate snowflake, suffering no fewer than eight injuries over the course of the season. Bronto may not have the big-time power of some first basemen, but his smooth stroke and good batting eye should again translate into a high average and OBP. He is a slick fielder who can also play the outfield when needed.

Head Scout says: "Brontoburglar has a good head on his shoulders."

2018 Salary: $25.2 M (contract year)

wlu_lax's infamous sociopathy did not get in the way of a stellar season, as he led the conference in WAR and finished second in MVP voting. He remains the team's consensus best player, with outstanding all-around batting talents that regularly put him near the top of the leaderboards in the Triple Crown categories. In the field, he is sure-handed with good range, and skilled at turning the double play. Last year's scouting report described wlu_lax as "greedy, lazy, disloyal, and devoid of leadership skills...basically a cornucopia of every bad personality trait," and there's no indicator so far that's changed. Will be interesting to see how playing for a potential mega-contract will affect his outlook both on the field and in the clubhouse.

Head Scout says: "wlu_lax has very little loyalty and often shows a lack of effort."

2018 Salary: $765K

With sancarlos out of the picture, Ryan is tentatively penciled in as the Sports Frogs' new starting shortstop, and has been hard at work this offseason in the hope of adding new skills to his arsenal, such as hitting the ball past the infield. He projects to be a fair contact hitter with minimal power, and with above-average speed and basestealing instincts. Having split time at both middle infield positions, he has good range, though his subpar arm may not make him the everyday answer at short.

Head Scout says: "Ryan is cocksure to the point of annoyance."

2018 Salary: $16.0 M

Fan favorite Pruitt returns from an All-Star campaign to hold down the hot corner. With power to all fields, Pruitt is a perennial threat to finish among the league leaders in HRs. His long, looping swing curtails his average somewhat, but he won't strike out as much as some other power hitters. In the field he is adequate if unspectacular, with a solid arm, though he committed an uncharacteristic 26 errors last year. His strong work ethic has endeared him to the fans, who responded enthusiastically to his 4-year contract extension.

Head Scout says: "Pruitt's media savvy is unparalleled." When by asked by reporters for comment, Pruitt replied, "Fuck off."

2018 Salary: $6.0 M

bapo! established himself as the Sports Frogs' "glue guy," which is code for saying he had a thoroughly mediocre season at every aspect of the game. With the Frogs' outfield depth chart less crowded, he'll get another chance to make his mark. At the plate, bapo! is a decent singles-and-doubles hitter, but not too much of a power threat. His speed is just above average, but he is a savvy runner who will sneak an occasional steal. He is an adequate outfielder.

Head Scout says: "bapo! has very little hustle and is slow to catch on."

2018 Salary: $816K

EnochRoot, who came into last spring looking like a marginal major leaguer, emerged to have a surprisingly fine season as the Sports Frogs' regular center fielder after BSF faltered. As a hitter, Enoch posted a good average with decent power, though he struggled against lefties (.218 BA) and will likely be platooned at least some of the time. He is fleet on the basepaths and can fill all three outfield positions with good range.

Head Scout says: "EnochRoot never causes even a hint of trouble."

2018 Salary: $3.8M

Hip-hop impresario/renaissance man Gunpowder managed to harness his raw power before most scouts thought he was ready, swatting 20 homers in just over 200 at-bats last year. With duff's departure, Gunpowder takes over the everyday RF spot, but will need to refine his "uppercut like a mofo" approach to hitting after having struck out in nearly a quarter of his at-bats. Gunpowder has fair speed and is a heads-up runner and sure-handed fielder.

Head Scout says, cryptically: "Gunpowder stays out of trouble."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Swamp Out of the Park Baseball 2018 - *Profiles and Player Cards - Burlington*

Post by Johnny Carwash »

BENCH / PART-TIME STARTERS

2018 Salary: $510K

No stranger to splitting duties with another man, Giff will now platoon with A_B at the catcher spot. Though his playing time last year was limited, Giff's arrival was credited with stabilizing the clubhouse, where he was according to insiders "much admired for his cojones." Projected as a so-so major-league hitter, Giff can still occasionally capitalize on a fat pitch. He has surprisingly above-average speed for a catcher and can also play second base adequately.

Head Scout says: "Giff has a lot of influence in the locker room."

2018 Salary: $1.1M

The "Jewish Olmedo Saenz" did serviceable work as the Sports Frogs' backup first baseman last year, and figures to play a significant role again this year in the 60 or so games Bronto is sure to miss. BFJ offers some pop off the bench from both sides of the plate. He can also catch in emergency situations.

Head Scout says: "BigFatJew gets along with his teammates," which should hold true as long as there are no Germans on the roster.

2018 Salary: $765K

Versatile glove man GoodKarma returns to back up the middle infield positions, and may find himself in the regular lineup if Ryan is unable to handle the duties at short. GoodKarma's great range and fundamentals allow him to fill in at any infield position, though his so-so arm makes him best suited for second. Not a great hitter, but he'll occasionally knock an extra-base hit.

Head Scout says: "GoodKarma never shows any lack of effort."

2018 Salary: $1.2M

Despite only having a cup of coffee during September call-ups, Baloney's teammates surprisingly voted to re-sign him over several veteran players. A dependable starting shortstop in AAA, he can fill in adequately at all the other infield positions. He has a little pop in his bat and OK plate discipline, but probably won't be able to make consistent contact at the major league level.

Head Scout says: "Baloney is intelligent on and off the field."

2018 Salary: $510k

That French Guy
arrives on our shores with the ambitious goal of becoming the greatest French-born baseball player since Steve Jeltz. TFG's utility is built around his impressive speed, making him an ideal pinch runner and rangy defensive sub in the outfield. At the plate, he struggles to lay off bad pitches, but can surprise by poking a double or triple here and there.

Head Scout says: "That French Guy is a simple man who enjoys simple pleasures."

2018 Salary: $1.3M

Rex has put up some big numbers in the minors, but the depth of the Frogs' outfield in past years made promotion to the big leagues elusive. With the promise of a regular roster spot, it's now time for him to put up or shut up. Rex's quick bat gives him some decent pop, but he's yet to show he can make consistent contact in the majors. He is a fair corner outfielder and a cautious runner.

Head Scout says: "Rex has a questionable work ethic and has trouble keeping up."

2018 Salary: $510K

kranepool's natural position is first base, but he can also hold down a corner outfield spot. A slightly above-average hitter by AAA standards, his performance at the major league level remains a question mark as he only managed to get into three games last September. His most unique skill is his uncanny ability to swipe an occasional base despite mediocre speed.

Head Scout says: "Fuck kranepool."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

STARTING ROTATION

2018 Salary: $10.6 M

Sabo went into last season as the Sports Frogs' #1 starter and did not disappoint, tying for the conference lead in wins and finishing high on the leaderboards in several other categories. His impressive performance resulted in a nearly ten-fold increase in his salary via arbitration. An aggressive righty, Sabo mixes up a formidable arsenal topped by a quality curveball and slider. His one downside is his control, which though not terrible, occasionally gets away from him. His high stamina means we'll likely see another 200+ innings from him barring injury.

Head Scout says: "Sabo is dedicated and passionate, but he won't argue with umpires."

2018 Salary: $15.0 M

Scowling misanthrope brian turned in a fine season of his own, effectively giving the Frogs two aces, and was rewarded with a generous contract extension keeping him in Burlington for another four years. brian has a decent variety of pitches capped by a fastball and slider, and is usually good at keeping the ball in the park.

Head Scout says: "brian has great knowledge of the game, but he has very little loyalty."

2018 Salary: $2.8 M (Contract Year)

Self-described junkballer DSafetyGuy had an up-and-down season, going 2-9 in the first half before rebounding to go 7-1 in the second. His other stats ended up around the league average. DSafe's velocity barely scratches 90 MPH, but he has good movement on his sinker and changeup, as well as a decent curveball. He notably was the only Burlington pitcher to hit a home run last season.

Head Scout says: "DSafetyGuy is not one to get too excited about anything."

2018 Salary: $1.6 M

TT2.0 did solid work as a fifth starter last year and now moves up a spot in the rotation. A lanky, intimidating left-hander, TT mixes his upper-90's fastball with a good slider and recently developed a respectable changeup. His control is so-so and he sometimes loses movement, making him susceptible to gopher balls. He is an adept fielder and is good at holding runners.

Head Scout says: "TT2.0 is quiet and doesn't stand out in a crowd."

2018 Salary: $790K

Tanning fetishist govmentchedda gets a chance to jump from the bullpen to the starting rotation with degenerasian's departure. A versatile if inconsistent member of the staff, chedda boasts a wide array of pitches—sinker, curve, changeup, splitter, forkball—all with good movement, though none are first-rate. His control can sometimes get away from him under pressure.

Head Scout says: "govmentchedda is always quick to tell a joke."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

BULLPEN

2018 Salary: $2.0M

Cheese-cutting closer Shirley still managed to rack up 33 saves in an often-frustrating season that saw him spend a couple months on the DL and suffer several notable blown games. Shirley's arsenal is limited to two pitches, but those two—a superb slider and a fastball in the mid-90s—are enough for him to close out the majority of his save opportunities while racking up plenty of K's. He is occasionally haunted by his rather mediocre control.

Head Scout says: "Shirley has a self-deprecating sense of humor."

2018 Salary: $1.7M

L-Jam's subpar stats from last year were skewed by a few disastrous outings early on, after which he rebounded to be arguably the Frogs' most reliable reliever down the stretch. A self-described "badass setup man with power slider and change," L-Jam's velocity and movement are good, but his control can sometimes be all over the place. He is an iron man who almost never encounters injury problems.

Head Scout says: "L-Jam puts in long hours."

2018 Salary: $510k

tennbengal put in a decent season as a LOOGY and middle reliever, and with Johnnie's departure now graduates to the primary left-handed setup role. bengal's game is built around his blistering cut fastball which brushes against 100 MPH, along with a good slider. He is dogged, though, by control problems.

Head Scout says, "tennbengal is a good teammate and an avid hunter in the offseason."

2018 Salary: $765k

Career minor leaguer HaulCitgo broke a lot of hearts in Toledo and Syracuse when he finally latched on to a major league roster as a middle/long reliever. Working with just borderline stuff, HaulCitgo knows his limitations and won't try to do more than he can. Occasionally he'll sneak in an above-average curveball.

Head Scout says: "HaulCitgo is an extremely hard worker with a good head on his shoulders, and gets along with everyone."

2018 Salary: $990k

Canadian import travzilla arrives in Burlington to fill the LOOGY and middle relief roles. Among travzilla's pitches, only his slider is above-average, but he sometimes surprises hitters by challenging them when they least expect it.

Head Scout says: "travzilla is quiet and doesn't stand out in a crowd."

Coming tomorrow - Holland Oats player profiles and cards
Last edited by Johnny Carwash on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If chedda starts being quick to light up your smoke, he may be looking for somwhere he'd rather be and force a midseason trade.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

+1 jar bread
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:27 am+1 jar bread
I had a girlfriend in high school that I presume I made suffer through too many Billy Joel listens, and she NEVER understood why they were putting bread in a jar. I thought it was a joke at first, but it turns out that it wasn't. At all.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit, never sent a headshot. Feel free to grab something embarrassing off FB if not too late.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I think a partially severed hand would rival the fuck face bat knob in card lore

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 am If chedda starts being quick to light up your smoke, he may be looking for somwhere he'd rather be and force a midseason trade.
I am grossly underpaid.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rex bears a striking resemblance to Arn Anderson, which means I'll never piss off Rex.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Sabo wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:02 am Rex bears a striking resemblance to Arn Anderson, which means I'll never piss off Rex.
Where's Tully?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot, who came into last spring looking like a marginal major leaguer, emerged to have a surprisingly fine season as the Sports Frogs' regular center fielder after BSF faltered. As a hitter, Enoch posted a good average with decent power, though he struggled against lefties (.218 BA) and will likely be platooned at least some of the time. He is fleet on the basepaths and can fill all three outfield positions with good range.

Look at this kissass. Hope you score a used car commercial because you sure can't live comfy on that 800K a year out in WASP central. Enjoy it, I'm taking my admittedly limited but hopefully much improved talents to Western Michigan.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:11 am

Look at this kissass. Hope you score a used car commercial because you sure can't live comfy on that 800K a year out in WASP central. Enjoy it, I'm taking my admittedly limited but hopefully much improved talents to Western Michigan.
Good luck with those training wheels!
Noli Timere Messorem
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:27 am
BSF21 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:11 am

Good luck with those training wheels!
Training wheels?

Nah, I can't go for that.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:51 am With sancarlos out of the picture, Ryan is tentatively penciled in as the Sports Frogs' new starting shortstop, and has been hard at work this offseason in the hope of adding new skills to his arsenal, such as hitting the ball past the infield.
On pace for 15-20 triples and they all took weird bounces off the tarp I guess

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Absolutely stellar work on the cards.

Although, my card looks nothing like me... but nice to have a couple of decades shaved off my age.

One thought - the ethnic makeup of the team is remarkable. So white, we could hit the field in MAGA hats.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:51 am With sancarlos out of the picture, Ryan is tentatively penciled in as the Sports Frogs' new starting shortstop, and has been hard at work this offseason in the hope of adding new skills to his arsenal, such as hitting the ball past the infield.
yer gonna miss that gold glove out there, fuckers.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Another thing...us Big Bone Lickers don't like to be said to be from Florence, no matter what the ZIP code says. Big beef.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:31 pm Another thing...us Big Bone Lickers don't like to be said to be from Florence, no matter what the ZIP code says. Big beef.
The game's database of place names is pretty huge, but apparently not big enough to include BBL, so I had to go with the closest place available. Similarly with GoodKarma who wanted to be from Put-in-Bay, OH but the closest was Toledo.

Surprisingly, the game actually had that weird-ass place in the Dutch Antilles that Nonlinear said he was from (is he really?)