2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Post by EnochRoot »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:11 pm I told one of the Parkland kids they were awesome. Oops?
Come on. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. He sic'd a fan population at an 18 year old kid.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:11 pm I told one of the Parkland kids they were awesome. Oops?
I was going to walk back a little bit to say adults shouldn't be tweeting anything even the tiniest bit disparaging at HS kids. Your example is a good one. I would also accept something simple even in the example of the kid committing to School X that is supportive (or at least neutral) like "Good luck at School X!"
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think some of you guys don't following college football recruiting like I do and I legit get sick to my stomach at some of the crap people say to these kids. It's a serious, serious turnoff for college football in general (like in that it affects in a small way my enjoyment of the product on the field).

So I'm coming at this from a little bit of a different place than some people. In that context, Bayless' tweet was fairly benign, but still uncalled for IMO.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:59 pm Of all the fan bases who would do hat, I think Vandys are as close to the bottom as possible.
Just imagine had he spurned Big Blue Nation! Those guys are complete douche-nozzles. They probably would have attached a shitty power point presentation.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:29 pm
A_B wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:59 pm Of all the fan bases who would do hat, I think Vandys are as close to the bottom as possible.
Just imagine had he spurned Big Blue Nation! Those guys are complete douche-nozzles. They probably would have attached a shitty power point presentation.
We would have called and ruined his roofing business at a minimum.
Last edited by A_B on Tue May 01, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:21 pm I think some of you guys don't following college football recruiting like I do and I legit get sick to my stomach at some of the crap people say to these kids. It's a serious, serious turnoff for college football in general (like in that it affects in a small way my enjoyment of the product on the field).

So I'm coming at this from a little bit of a different place than some people. In that context, Bayless' tweet was fairly benign, but still uncalled for IMO.
I'm not sure you can call it benign given the fact he's the one with the audience (he's probably required by Legal to add that qualifying statement, btw)...I mean, if you're seeing the cesspool of negative tweets towards teenagers as driving down even your own interest in the sport, how can you not see how Bayless' words aren't party to it? I mean, he's not going nuclear on the kid. He has a job to protect.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This is like a real life version of Sabo's "you shoulda went to Ohio University, son..."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

This is probably veering closer to victim blaming than I'm comfortable with, but these are the same high-school kids that have huge hat parties to tell a national television audience where they're playing, right?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Which reminds me to put Huge Hat Party on my album list

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

There were hundreds of people lining up outside of New Albany's gymnasium to see the announcement live.

Not saying the tweet was okay because of that, just piggybacking off of Ryan's comment.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:43 pm There were hundreds of people lining up outside of New Albany's gymnasium to see the announcement live.

Not saying the tweet was okay because of that, just piggybacking off of Ryan's comment.
What a rational fan base you have across the river!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:45 pm
duff wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:43 pm There were hundreds of people lining up outside of New Albany's gymnasium to see the announcement live.

What a rational fan base you have across the river!
WNIT Champions!!!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:42 pm This is probably veering closer to victim blaming than I'm comfortable with, but these are the same high-school kids that have huge hat parties to tell a national television audience where they're playing, right?
Or how some of those HS teens are posting pictures of themselves every day on instragram. Like are they doing that because they don't want me to comment "wow lookin' good" on each one???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You're victim blaming

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Please don't tell the local field hockey team.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:03 pm Adults shouldn't tweet at HS students. The end.
Co-signed without permission.

And I'm also gonna agree with Brian, in that I don't think some of you understand how toxic and awful the recruiting tweets can be towards these kids. Bayless knows there are lines, he just decided to cross it to stir up shit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 pm
mister d wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:03 pm Adults shouldn't tweet at HS students. The end.

And I'm also gonna agree with Brian, in that I don't think some of you understand how toxic and awful the recruiting tweets can be towards these kids. Bayless knows there are lines, he just decided to cross it to stir up shit.
If it was not Bayless this would have been a nothingburger tweet of some fan joking that he should have gone to my school. But if you are a punk with an audience you need to just not dive in the pool...or end with a "jk, congrats and hope you have tremendous success".

Of course this all would have blown over if Bayless knew to use orange text.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 9:15 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 pm

If it was not Bayless this would have been a nothingburger tweet of some fan joking that he should have gone to my school. But if you are a punk with an audience you need to just not dive in the pool...or end with a "jk, congrats and hope you have tremendous success".

Of course this all would have blown over if Bayless knew to use orange text.
Yeah, this is my take as well. When I saw that Bayless tweeted to that kid, I expected much worse. It was pretty benign, but Skip Bayless should know that when he does something like this, it's going to get a lot of attention (I'm sure he does know that, actually).

Once last season, I replied to a Tweet from a UVA player. I just made a joke, but afterward I felt weird about it. Won't do that again. I don't follow any players or recruits either. That's just kind of weird, unless you're someone paid to follow or report on the team.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

ACC proposes expanding field to 72 teams.

I'm on board with this with a couple of caveats. I like the idea of having two "First Four" sites, one in Dayton and one in the west somewhere (if it were me I would just put it in Salt Lake City every year like they do with Dayton) BUT I would get rid of making four 16 seeds play each other and just decree that the last 16 at-large teams in the field have to play in the First Round. This will largely benefit the major conferences and they should be the ones to have to bear the burden of playing an extra game to gain entry into the field.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Or you could just go to 64 and do it right. But do like that idea... should be all at larges in the play in round. Sux donkey balls to win your conference only to lose before you even get to a tournament site
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It would also ensure the one-seeds getting the four "worst" teams as first-round opponents, which would also benefit the major conferences.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

So how much would Virginia have lost by in that scenario?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 pm So how much would Virginia have lost by in that scenario?
I thought about looking up the margins of victory for one-seeds who played the play-in game 16-seeds and comparing that to the margins of other 1v16 games, but my last Durant post was my "looking up stats" post of the day.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Just talking shit to Dave. We have to remind him of this for eternity.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 pm Just talking shit to Dave. We have to remind him of this for eternity.
Remind me of what?
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 pm Just talking shit to Dave. We have to remind him of this for eternity.
Yeah, I figured I might hear about not letting it go.

But seriously, there was talk that UMBC was "not a real 16 seed" (or whatever), making it seem like if the last four spots (or eight spots if they expand to 72) were all for at-large teams, UMBC would have been a 15-seed.