2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: 2018 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Post by rass »

Right about the post-UMBC thread that I'm pretty sure was intended to be (gently, sure) mocking is "lame", or right that bengal couldn't handle a joke about UC being upset? Both?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think dave's statistical hubris all season long here and on twitter made me a little less sympathetic (hence the UMBC trolling about how they had a chance which of course I didn't really believe) but I know damn well no one's gonna shed a tear when/if UK loses!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:21 am Right about the post-UMBC thread that I'm pretty sure was intended to be (gently, sure) mocking is "lame", or right that bengal couldn't handle a joke about UC being upset? Both?
Both? Neither?

I'm not being contrary just saying it doesn't really matter. I doubt any Bills fan here expected any serious sympathy when they didn't make the playoffs for about two decades, but when they did make it some people were legitimately happy for them, expressed that and then life moved on when they lost in the playoffs.

UVA's loss had to hurt of course, but trying to quantify it or compare it (beyond just idle speculation) is pointless. If we had a MSU fan in here I'm sure it hurt a lot to lose to Syracuse even if they weren't a #1 losing to a #16 and didn't have the same weight of expectations. Seeing some of us mock MSU wouldn't have helped, but that's how it is. Dave had to realize everyone here just like everyone on the planet was rooting for UMBC Friday night. It's not a knock against him, it's just how it goes. Especially in the NCAA tournament, you root for the underdogs usually.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You guys think too much
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:31 am Dave had to realize everyone here just like everyone on the planet was rooting for UMBC Friday night. It's not a knock against him, it's just how it goes. Especially in the NCAA tournament, you root for the underdogs usually.
That's the part I'm confused on, or makes me feel like I missed a post somewhere. DSG (and now you?) have set up this strawman that posits that dave was upset that people were rooting against UVA, or that he was actively soliciting sympathy rather than just describing (or processing) a devastating (in sports terms) loss.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:34 am You guys think too much
yeah
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 am
brian wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:31 am Dave had to realize everyone here just like everyone on the planet was rooting for UMBC Friday night. It's not a knock against him, it's just how it goes. Especially in the NCAA tournament, you root for the underdogs usually.
That's the part I'm confused on, or makes me feel like I missed a post somewhere. DSG (and now you?) have set up this strawman that posits that dave was upset that people were rooting against UVA, or that he was actively soliciting sympathy rather than just describing (or processing) a devastating (in sports terms) loss.
No, if that's the impression I'm giving I'm sorry. I just didn't feel the need for a separate thread (which I fully realize wasn't setup or solicited by him).

But even that really doesn't matter. Just mostly saying I don't see where it's necessary to walk on eggshells around here as long as we're not being personally mean or anything like that. Which hasn't happened for a long, long time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Look, the sportsworld is chock-a-block with people creating these strawman. Fuck, that thread that included the post by the Apology Tour from the Syracuse blogger is a PERFECT example. Everyone overplays perceptions for their own benefit.

I'm not saying the whole UVA can't get it done in the postseason doesn't exist as a perception. It had, literally, nothing to do with my joy over UMBC beating them. Like, less than zero. I actually felt more than a twinge of sympathy for those guys.

I don't begrudge Dave his defense of his team. Bottomline and no "but" modifier. He's certainly reacting to a very real perception and storyline and I'm sure it's frustrating as hell.

Now, I, personally, wouldn't be so out there with that opinion, until they actually did something to prove it wrong.

Until MI beats MSU and OSU on the regular, I'm not chirping about how great Harbaugh is. I feel very strongly that this is the right guy and they are headed in the right direction. But I don't burn a bunch of time building up an argument that isn't supported by what's happening on Saturdays in the fall.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Lets back up ... there was a very sarcastic component to that separate thread, no? Basically wanted to make sure this loss would be called out versus hiding inside the tourney thread.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I dunno. I don't know bronto and dave's history, so I don't know what was in his heart when he started the thread. And it wasn't all that snarky or sarcastic until Dsafe got in there... But now we're talking about the age-old ACC rivalry between the orange and the wahoos, so... All bets are off.

(yes, sarcasm)
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Apropos of nothing, I never heard UVA referred to as “Wahoos” until this past weekend.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I'm tired of the heartbreak. I was actually rooting for both UC and X - and both fucked a goat in similar ways. It sucked. It was another in a long fucking line of ways for Cincinnati based fandom to kick its general sports fans in the gonads. I wasn't in the mood for a joke, I guess, especially one that pretty much made no fucking sense in the context of how Cincinnati choked the game. It wasn't really an offensive issue, it was a generalized collapse. Regardless, I am tired of having teams I root for collapse. I know that others think it's funny as shit, but I have reached the limits of my ability to laugh about it, at least in the short term. But, hey, at least fucking Syracuse with their piece of shit style has bull-shitted their way into the sweet 16 again so their fans can take pride in that piece of shit team. Yay. I know it's awesome for them, because it has been SO long since they had success...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Saltimore Strong

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:29 am Lets back up ... there was a very sarcastic component to that separate thread, no? Basically wanted to make sure this loss would be called out versus hiding inside the tourney thread.
As mentioned, I definitely saw that as a call out. Nothing as pointed (or as classic) as the post SB XLII thread, but still.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:06 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:13 pm And for the record, I think the thread to check in on Shirley after Friday night's loss by Virginia was lame. I don't remember all the threads to check on brian when the Lions went 0-16... or for AB and Sabo when the Browns did the same.

If you can't handle a joke (or in this case, a joking question) at the expense of your preferred sports team, maybe sports fandom isn't for you.

we're comparing a one and done loss by a top team in a 64-team tournament to a terrible football team losing 16 times?
I was going for "groundbreaking sports failure that will live on forever", but I doubt there is any accurate comparison to merit Swamp sympathy, as usually the really good teams are not in positions to have that happen because almost every other competition requires "being a very good team" to be in the competition.

In any case, it's just a fucking game and not something with "real life" consequences for him, like losing his job.
we have a thread about pooping on this site
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:36 am
How?

I was making a crack at him because, as AB mentioned, almost all of Shirley's twitter feed for a couple weeks running up to the tournament was how great Virginia is/was. I referenced one of his tweets in my "Paschal Chukwu in the second round" comment because I know Syracuse is not good (trust me, I've watched all 38 games this season, including the exhibitions), but they won their first round game (even though I said they shouldn't be in the tournament). That's it.

And, yes, like brian, I thought the separate thread was needless. And like him, I know Shirley had zero to do with the posting of it.

I posted the Syracuse blogger "sequel" post because I remembered someone else had posted the first one here (and even gave a "+1" to someone making a joke at my expense in that thread). The fact that it was Shirley who had posted the first one was coincidence (whether you want to believe that or not).

And if Bengal doesn't want to hear me repeating a joke about Mick Cronin and Cincinnati's offense from four years ago, I can't help him. I made the joke and, when pressed, gave some evidence that supported my joke.

But, hey, you can all just root for Duke on late Friday night so when they turn Syracuse into paste with their version of Boeheim's 2-3 zone (they only gave up 44 to Syracuse in the regular season, no reason it won't happen again), you can all throw it in my face because of all the "Syracuse sure is awesome posts" I've been throwing up. My uppance will come. Everyone will love it. And I won't care unless someone posts something clever or funny, in which case, I'll smile or chuckle.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:41 pm Apropos of nothing, I never heard UVA referred to as “Wahoos” until this past weekend.
Yeah, living in MD and going to hopkins (lax) you get your fill of it. Go Hoos! must seem like people having a stroke until you are clued in.

Let's go Cavs is a very soft group cheer.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, just to clear the air for my part, I don't equate you (Dsafe) with that Cuse blogger (who, btw, I've read that site's stuff before, and it's very good... but those apology posts are pretty gross).

And I don't think Dave deserves any special dispensation, as I think I pretty clearly said up-thread. When you pre-defend your team against an early round exit and they get bounced spectacularly... You know, he knows... we all know what's coming.

=-=-=-=
And tb... I think what's probably (maybe?) got other people giving you the side eye is the idea that you can root for Xavier and the Bearcats simultaneously. I don't mean this as a shot at you, I'm just giving you a different perspective.

When MI beat MSU in the BTT, after having to listen to those assclowns talk about how THEY were the tough team, basically calling MI soft.. Which they've been saying for years. And their STUPID FUCKING SLAP THE FLOOR BULLSHIT... For MI to then bitch them off the court, including a lot of in your face, shoving and fuck you come at me afters... I mean this sincerely, nothing else positive needed to happen the rest of the season for this to have been a positive year. I typically try to root for all B1G teams in whatever non-conference match-up they are in. Not MSU. And definitely not in basketball.

I can't understand the mindset of a Cincinnati sports fan, I haven't lived it. But when you've got a guy like shirley that lives and breaths not just that school, but that particular sport, that just got his guts ripped out. It's just a tough comparison for folks to line up behind.

I can't speak for folks giving you grief and where they are coming from, but it's the same reason I got a little annoyed with Shirley saying no one can understand the pain he's experiencing. Let's throw the biggest pity party ever and race to the bottom, because I sure can relate (App St) and it sucks ass.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:20 pm How?
In retrospect, your initial volley must have been two separate responses, about shirley and TB. That wasn't entirely clear without a more careful reading of prior (and perhaps later) posts.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

FYI so far, any specific examples of losses that compare with Virgina are not great

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:29 am Lets back up ... there was a very sarcastic component to that separate thread, no? Basically wanted to make sure this loss would be called out versus hiding inside the tourney thread.
As mentioned, I definitely saw that as a call out. Nothing as pointed (or as classic) as the post SB XLII thread, but still.
It's a message board, a massive upset happened that involved the alma mater of a swamper, I initially titled it like a death thread as a "oh this sucks for dave and the upset probably should get its own thread" because of what happened and ... I'm not sure what the deal is now
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you're a UVA fan, you're probably going to have to lean into the skid of having the two biggest upsets in college basketball history on your record. At least you have to be highly rated to be overrated.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ryan wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:20 pm FYI so far, any specific examples of losses that compare with Virgina are not great
Sonics losing to the Mutombo Nuggets? That one year (1994?) when the Red Wings lost to the Sharks? Those are the worst examples of 1 v. 8 losses I can remember from pro sports. I guess you could throw in the 2007 Mavs vs. Warriors, but that Warriors team was hot coming in and a terrible matchup for the Mavs.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think that first example is closest and illustrates just how bad this one was. Mutombo Nuggets is a far better parallel to like Napier UConn or similar.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Seattle had won a title and weren’t kinda famous for falling short and 50 million people don’t do NBA brackets

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ryan wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:38 pm Seattle had won a title and weren’t kinda famous for falling short and 50 million people don’t do NBA brackets
Plus it helped the Rockets and I was OK with that.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

My wife got her master’s at Xavier when we first married and I root for them and I grew up rooting UC. But, generally, I don’t give a shit what you all think about why that sucked for me to watch. But the shot from dsafe sucked and it pissed me off. Such is life. I don’t need to go through the rooting pain publically, I should have just ignored it. But I’m tired of it being so fucking funny to people. Especially those who are lucky to root for teams and programs that don’t suck.

I just need to take a break from the board probably.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, and it's kind of (if not more than kind of) douchey to start pushing your chest out to say one person's fandom is somehow "deeper" than someone else's, so I'm gonna self-identify as being douchey there.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And is anyone here (other than maybe shirley now) (and Rex?) actually rooting for Duke Friday? Any day? I bet TB can’t even work up enough spite to do that.

Bluedevlyn isn’t walking through that door.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, shit, I will never EVER root for Duke under any circumstance. It could be the Trump Globetrotters and I'd hope they dunk and throw fake confetti all over Duke and Coach K for 40 minutes.

Fuck. Duke. Fore. Ever.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I like Duke

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So does Shirley.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:10 pmSo does Shirley.
Yeah, but I wasn’t sure where he would have been with UVA still in.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't like Wichita State and am pretty sure I really don't like Gregg Marshall but this is cool: https://deadspin.com/wichita-state-did- ... 1823965746
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:42 pm Well, shit, I will never EVER root for Duke under any circumstance. It could be the Trump Globetrotters and I'd hope they dunk and throw fake confetti all over Duke and Coach K for 40 minutes.

Fuck. Duke. Fore. Ever.
Only time I ever rooted for Duke was the 2015 title game. I enjoyed seeing all the Wisconsin cheerleaders in the media and Kentucky haters celebrate Wisconsin beating Kentucky only to turn around and watch them get their hearts ripped out by a team that was even more reliant on “one and done” players.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd get a Duke tattoo on my lip before I'd root for Villanova over them.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm I'd get a Duke tattoo on my lip before I'd root for Villanova over them.
That's got to be one of the most backyard-y hot-takes I've ever read.

Not that I care why you hate Villanova, but...Duke?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He’s used to having the d in his mouth.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

You should never, ever change your avatar.

Disarm with charm, bitches!
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:43 pm He’s used to having the d in his mouth.
ha!