SwampMD

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

SwampMD

Post by A_B »

I’m going to doctor on Monday, but check this shizz out. Right now all I can smell is bleach in my nose. I have been nowhere near bleach in as long as I can remember. Wtf?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
A_B
The Dude

Re: SwampMD

Post by A_B »

I’m just gonna leave this here because I want it on the record that sober AB is as stupid as drunk AB but apparently my wife was cleaning the daughters bathroom and has used almost half a bottle of Clorox trying to get it clean. And that bathroom exhausts around the corner from me. Occam’s razor.

But, I do have a Dr appointment for nose issues. But he bleach isn’t related!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

jesus how dirty was that bathroom
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:03 pm jesus how dirty was that bathroom

Yeah I don’t wanna talk about it. Cause that means I have to have two conversations instead of the one I am clearly going to have.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I wanna live closer to AB, the sober, and the drunk.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I kinda like the smell of bleach. If I didn’t pass out at the sight of blood I probably would have made a great nurse.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

At least it wasn't toast that you were smelling!

Anyhoo, something I'm dealing with that seems to be subsiding 5 days later is my right side in my lower back was nothing but pain. Thought it was my lower back giving me shit as usual, but no. Stretching and rolling did nothing. In fact, it made everything worse.

Sitting hurt, standing hurt, walking was difficult. Only way I could sleep was on my side. Then the pain spread to my groin region too. Google tells me there's a nerve in my hip that would cause this. That seems to make sense. I'll have to get this checked when I get home.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:16 am At least it wasn't toast that you were smelling!

Anyhoo, something I'm dealing with that seems to be subsiding 5 days later is my right side in my lower back was nothing but pain. Thought it was my lower back giving me shit as usual, but no. Stretching and rolling did nothing. In fact, it made everything worse.

Sitting hurt, standing hurt, walking was difficult. Only way I could sleep was on my side. Then the pain spread to my groin region too. Google tells me there's a nerve in my hip that would cause this. That seems to make sense. I'll have to get this checked when I get home.
sciatica? it sucks. i know an excellent massage therapist if you come to houston. me, i also find vicodin helps
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm guessing it's a nerve thing at this point. I have a bulging disc in my lower back that I saw on an MRI. But the bulge is to the left and this pain was to the right and front. It might be a new thing completely.

Also, thanks for the recommendation. My current one is the physical therapist for all the MMA fighters at the Jackson Wink Academy in ABQ. Dude and staff are really good.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:18 pm I’m just gonna leave this here because I want it on the record that sober AB is as stupid as drunk AB but apparently my wife was cleaning the daughters bathroom and has used almost half a bottle of Clorox trying to get it clean. And that bathroom exhausts around the corner from me. Occam’s razor.

But, I do have a Dr appointment for nose issues. But he bleach isn’t related!
This might be the best Swamp post ever.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gout's back!

I've dealt with flareups a few times - it'll be gone in a couple of days (today seems like peak goutness), but the worst part might be that there's no way to spin it as being any thing but an old guy's ailment.

At least with muscle aches or plantar fasciitis you can make them sound like something you picked up at the gym. But not gout.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:56 am Gout's back!

I've dealt with flareups a few times - it'll be gone in a couple of days (today seems like peak goutness), but the worst part might be that there's no way to spin it as being any thing but an old guy's ailment.

At least with muscle aches or plantar fasciitis you can make them sound like something you picked up at the gym. But not gout.
My sympathies. I haven’t had a flare up in a while, but I know the pain. Any particular food usually cause the flare ups?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Yes, I though this thread was about the Swamp presence in MD.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:00 pm
Pruitt wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:56 am Gout's back!

My sympathies. I haven’t had a flare up in a while, but I know the pain. Any particular food usually cause the flare ups?
Not that I've noticed - this time it crept on after I smashed my foot during yoga.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've been diagnosed with gout, but I'm not necessarily confident in it and neither is my current PCP. I've had issues for the last month, but it's also coincided with me kicking a soccer ball more than I ever have in my life put together, so I feel like there's something else in my foot that's being aggrevated.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I was convinced I had gout about a month ago, but the doc said no. You people had it in my head, mostly Zumba. In researching, it's hereditary, and my father used had gout, it starts around my age, it hit when I took a break from the gym due to a mysterious illness that lasted 2 months and lack of exercise is a causes... Bloodwork was clean, and the doc said it would show post-flareup if I had gout. I've been having plantar fasciitis in the same foot, and I think I fucked up my toe from walking differently on that foot.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Glad I’m not only one who will jump to weird conclusions. I had liver disease you guys!

(I probably have liver diseases anyway)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:12 pm Glad I’m not only one who will jump to weird conclusions. I had liver disease you guys!

(I probably have liver diseases anyway)
I fell down the Google rabbit hole diagnosis hard. I did have them test my liver enzymes while I was there, and I'm still good! [As you all remember, 11 years ago I had elevated liver enzymes, and the doctor told me I had to quit drinking, and I did until the liver was normal. God bless the resiliency of the liver to heal itself, so I can go back to poisoning myself].
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:16 am At least it wasn't toast that you were smelling!

I have insane pain in my lower right back as well. Seems to be centred around the top of my hop that I hurt a couple summers ago moving about a ton of stone for our patio. Hasn't been bothering me then after my basketball game last week started flaring up. It's ok to sit and to stand but going between is sometimes a bear.

I also have a weird thing with my right hip that I swear started years ago when I got super drunk and slept on my brother's floor. I can do a ROM stretch of the hip and it pops and relieves some of the stiffness. My PCP is sort of a wait and see doctor, but I think I'll push the issue. I'm 45, but some mornings I feel 80.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Damn...having my first Gout flareup in about 5 years. Forgot how much this hurts. No idea what triggered it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:26 pm Damn...having my first Gout flareup in about 5 years. Forgot how much this hurts. No idea what triggered it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:26 pm Damn...having my first Gout flareup in about 5 years. Forgot how much this hurts. No idea what triggered it.
You have my sympathy. I limped through June thanks to the gout.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Plantar fasciitis. What ya got for me, Swamp docs? When my foot is cold, (first thing in the morning) I limp around. The first mile or so of every run is challenging, then the pain goes away.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same. Its basically like it locks up, so the worst is going downstairs first thing in the morning. Any time I sit for more than a half hour I'll have 2 or 3 limp steps until I'm good but it doesn't really hurt for running or anything physical, just needs a warmup. The weird thing is its not really painful, just stiff, but just like when I had the fascia strain it feels far more like a bone issue than tissue related.

My advice is to post here about it then do nothing for atleast seven and a half months.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

<cracks knuckles>
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

While she hasn't had to use it for several years, my wife used to sleep wearing an ankle/lower leg brace that would keep her foot "flat" and the fascia stretched out.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:41 pm Plantar fasciitis. What ya got for me, Swamp docs? When my foot is cold, (first thing in the morning) I limp around. The first mile or so of every run is challenging, then the pain goes away.
Orthotics helped me for a while - hasn;t flared up in years.

Stretch, stretch, stretch.

And roll a cold pop can (you could use a beer can, but why shake it up?), under your arch.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The stretches for plantar fasciitis work amazingly well. Do it several times a day for a week or two, and it stays gone for months. Last flare up, I'd wake up every morning with pain worse than if I was running on it. Stretches knocked it out. I used to have all sorts of heel inserts, a wedge that raised my arches, nothing worked but the stretches.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Thanks, fellas.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:08 pm The stretches for plantar fasciitis work amazingly well. Do it several times a day for a week or two, and it stays gone for months. Last flare up, I'd wake up every morning with pain worse than if I was running on it. Stretches knocked it out. I used to have all sorts of heel inserts, a wedge that raised my arches, nothing worked but the stretches.
Agreed. It takes time to fully go away, but the stretches do offer short-term relief as well.

The one I always did was to cross one leg over the other when sitting. Your ankle should be on the other leg - like a figure four. Then, on the leg that's on top, pull the toes up toward your shin for a count of ten. Then rest for a count of ten. Do that three times. I found it works better with shoes on so that you're pulling your whole foot up and not just your toes.

Do that first thing in the morning before you've walked much. And then a few times throughout the day when it's feeling tight.

I also got in the habit of sleeping far enough down the bed that my foot is hanging off the bottom. Not sure how much that helped.

My plantar fasciitis seems to have gone, at least for now.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:26 amI also got in the habit of sleeping far enough down the bed that my foot is hanging off the bottom. Not sure how much that helped.
I've done this for as long as I can remember so either it doesn't help or its staved off even worse issues?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oh god I hate that feeling. That's just the worst.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:35 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:26 amI also got in the habit of sleeping far enough down the bed that my foot is hanging off the bottom. Not sure how much that helped.
I've done this for as long as I can remember so either it doesn't help or its staved off even worse issues?
Probably. I think it just helps minimize the stiffness you get overnight which then causes you to hurt it when you first get out of bed. I've read some folks recommend doing those figure-four stretches before you even take your first step of the day.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

My plantar fasciitis seems to have gone, at least for now.
I'm dealing with plantar fasciitis as well, one thing that's help a little but is untucking the sheets on my bed. I always tucked the sheets at the foot of the bed, but that can force the foot to point down, which can aggravate the condition.

So far, calf and leg stretches have helped my situation, but it isn't something that goes away quickly.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm a side sleeper, who doesn't mind stomach sleeping, and when doing so I like to dangle my feet off the edge of the bed. However, my mattress topper is a bit worn down from my heft that it sort of makes the bed a little like a hammock, so stomach sleeping is a no go in my bed.

I keep hearing that running on it won't affect PF, and anecdotally, I find that to be true. It may be more sore the day after a strenuous workout, but nothing crazy. I think I need to change my running shoes a little more frequently, and definitely ditch the pair of Mizunos that I have, as my feet kill me after running with them.

Thanks for the figure four stretch idea. I'm doing a yoga for PF video a few times a week, and that seems to help a bit. I also got scraped with one of those muscle knife/spoon things this weekend after a 5k by a chiropractor that was giving out free adjustments after the race, and noticed that the next day the bad foot was more flexible than the good one. I'm chalking that up to the chiro treatment on the foot.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Holy crap...my gout flared up so bad in the middle of the night last night that I was looking for ER's in Spokane on Yelp at 2am. I finally went and got ice, filled a garbage can with ice and water, which kinda knocked it down.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:42 pm Holy crap...my gout flared up so bad in the middle of the night last night that I was looking for ER's in Spokane on Yelp at 2am. I finally went and got ice, filled a garbage can with ice and water, which kinda knocked it down.
Shit that is brutal.

My most recent flareup lingered for weeks - it took prednisone to start the healing process. Have you asked your doctor about the steroidal route?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:53 pm I'm a side sleeper, who doesn't mind stomach sleeping, and when doing so I like to dangle my feet off the edge of the bed. However, my mattress topper is a bit worn down from my heft that it sort of makes the bed a little like a hammock, so stomach sleeping is a no go in my bed.
Are you sure it's the mattress and not the bed frame that's bending?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's been a while since I've checked, but I think it's mostly the mattress pad/topper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So for the first time in my life, the doctor switched from "you should probably lose some weight" to "you have to lose weight."

Bummer. Told me I need to lose 50 pounds and 6-10 by a followup in two months.

Never get older.