2018 NHL Playoffs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: 2018 NHL Playoffs

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 6:25 am Image
It did not occur to me on this one that I currently have a Penguin as my avatar..Yes it is Opus...but a Penguin none the less.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Today will be the hottest outside temperature for a Finals game in NHL history (perhaps unsurprisingly?).

Though still not even close to the record for a playoff game (108 in Arizona for the conference finals a few year ago).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Lots of low key grousing about the quality of the ice, especially in the third the other night.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/may/3 ... es-game-2/
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Some showman in Ottawa was 10 years ahead of his time, and if he didn’t get a soft landing with VGK I hope he at least is at peace.

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:17 am There's some poor pre-game video coordinator for the Capitals who's got a lot to account for to his bosses before Game 3.
Like the guy who had to follow Chaucer in A Knight’s Tale:

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

1) Now I’ve fucking seen everything. Just punch yourself in the fucking face. What. The. Fuck.

2) We like to just drop the puck and play the game. Jesus Christ.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:28 pm Lots of low key grousing about the quality of the ice, especially in the third the other night.

Holtby was also complaining about the elevation after G1 so mileage may vary.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pretty entertaining hockey game. I'm bummed how quiet this thread is but it's only 4:40 where Brian is so...
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:36 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 4:28 pm Lots of low key grousing about the quality of the ice, especially in the third the other night.

Holtby was also complaining about the elevation after G1 so mileage may vary.
Just to be clear, grousing was from both teams.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

March-uh-so is kind of a dick. I'll have more later.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Eh, just one game. Vegas was never going to sweep (nor was Washington). The Knights have answered the bell every time this season so I think they can get at least a split in Washington and then it'll get interesting.

I don't think Vegas played especially well last night, was very disappointed in David Perron, who is a guy I usually really, really like but he hasn't looked right for a couple or three weeks at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gallant put Tatar in for Perron on Saturday.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Watching Holtby's stick save.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 am Eh, just one game. Vegas was never going to sweep (nor was Washington). The Knights have answered the bell every time this season so I think they can get at least a split in Washington and then it'll get interesting.

I don't think Vegas played especially well last night, was very disappointed in David Perron, who is a guy I usually really, really like but he hasn't looked right for a couple or three weeks at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gallant put Tatar in for Perron on Saturday.
Perron had a great look with maybe 4 minutes left and missed high and wide the net by 8 feet. I only got to watch the 3rd but that's a shot you can't miss by that much and send back out of the zone in that situation.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:16 am
brian wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 am Eh, just one game. Vegas was never going to sweep (nor was Washington). The Knights have answered the bell every time this season so I think they can get at least a split in Washington and then it'll get interesting.

Perron had a great look with maybe 4 minutes left and missed high and wide the net by 8 feet. I only got to watch the 3rd but that's a shot you can't miss by that much and send back out of the zone in that situation.
He also seemed more interested in cross-checking Caps players than playing offense. Not sure what's up with him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

* Lars Eller continues to step up his game when he is given the opportunity. This is a very "inside Caps fandom" thing, but the guy takes a tremendous amount of shit from the fanbase, and I really don't understand it. He's not sitting on a huge contract (about 3M/year) and as the 3rd line center, he is right around the 5th or 6th point scorer over the last 3 or 4 years. When Backstrom was out, he played extremely well against Pitt and TB, and last night with Kuzy out, he did the same thing.

* Speaking of guys Caps fans love to hate... Brooks Orpik with one of the craziest bounces I've ever seen.

* Holtby makes a lot of flashy glove saves. His pads can be ninja-quick. When he's in the zone, he floats around in the crease like a god damn superboss in a video game. I've seen him do some sick shit over the years.

I've never seen him make a save like that. Holy shit.

=-=-=-=

brian's right, it's just one game. It also happens to be the first Stanley Cup win ever for this franchise (shut up Vegas, every time you guys take a dump somewhere it's a "first for the franchise.") On a less momentous note, it's the first win for the Caps against Vegas this year (1-3).

Losing Kuznetsov sucks.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Eller took a ton of shit in Montreal too but that made a bit more sense given he never lived up to his 13th overall status. I really think part of it is simply how he looks. Seriously.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve never liked Perron. He’s had some good stretches of productivity surrounded by longer stretches that weren’t very good. That’s why he’s bounced around the league so much.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He's been great all regular season (think he had something like 60 points?), but has struggled in the playoffs for sure. Assuming Gallant leaves him in the lineup on Saturday, needs to get his ass in gear. I've called just about every move Gallant has made this postseason though and I'll be shocked if Tatar doesn't get the call to replace someone and Perron would be the most likely candidate.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

This is the last time I'll say this, I promise: It is a complete mind-fuck for long-suffering Caps fans to have a team be this resilient. I've shifted from waiting for "the bad thing" to happen over to "fuck it, the boys have this." I'm not saying I'm cocky or anything... But I'm finally, after all these years, just enjoying playoff hockey.

It's weird. I like it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Filing this one away.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Speaking as a Lions fan (or a former one at least), not sure I'd tempt fate like that.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I had fun watching Game 1. Of course it was more fun to win last night, but that's not what I'm talking about. I guess it's too hard to describe?

It's one thing to have a shitty team that meets your very low expectations. Then there's having a good team that loses a hard fought game or series. bummer, but you dust off and move on with life. Then you've got a Buffalo Bills situation... brutal and pretty close to what being a Caps fans has been like.

It's pretty well-documented that the Caps have been absolutely horrible to follow for the better part of a decade. Multiple President's Trophy, picked to win it all many times, arguably the best player in the league surrounded by top flight talent... And for the most part, they weren't just losing, but doing so in spectacularly soul-crushing fashion.

This team could lose the next 4 and I still won't have that "same old shitty feeling" that's been dominant every year since forever. They've earned that much over this playoff run.

So, I'm not in the business of jinxing, so that's not what I was saying.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We Sharks fans have felt your pain over the years!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Submitted for brian's use the next 48 hours.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kuznetsov almost certainly going to miss tomorrow's game.

Only brightside of missing the second leading scorer (both regular and postseason) is that when Backstrom went down, Eller, Chiasson, DSP and Beagle all stepped up to fill the void.

Still... That's a pretty massive blow.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I saw someone (Friedman?) tweet he's skating today.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I'm look at videos and he's clearly laying off the stick with his left, but he took a bunch of pretty hard wristers.

Must've felt like a break, but no way it's a fracture if he's out there stick handling like that.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Sure Vegas went RenFest, But DC is going tantric with Sting & Shaggy on the Portrait Gallery steps for Game 3 & Fall Out Boy for Game 4. Plus Pat Sajak doing player introductions.....Vanna will be turning some "O", "V", and "I".
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:42 pmVanna will be turning some "O", "V", and "I".
Not in that order, probably
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:42 pm Sure Vegas went RenFest, But DC is going tantric with Sting & Shaggy on the Portrait Gallery steps for Game 3 & Fall Out Boy for Game 4. Plus Pat Sajak doing player introductions.....Vanna will be turning some "O", "V", and "I".
If Lozo let Vegas have it over Imagine Dragons, he better respond in kind to freaking Fall Out Boy.

ETA: I mean, it's a proportional response and all, but let's not suggest that Vegas' shit is somehow worse than any of that.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, Sajak doing introductions is awesome. Nice show, Washington.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is he doing any conservative ranting or just playing it straight?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

“Obama was born in Kenya! Go Caps!”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This thing is going south in a hurry for many reasons but Fleury is not one of them. This game is 5-0 without him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Movie script season doesn’t end with winning in 4 or winning in, but it does with winning in 7.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Of course just recently I was talking up Shea Theodore, and so he had a forgettable game tonight.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I really don't want to change hardcore allegiances. But you know my hometown team is really in the shitter only making the playoffs 24 of the last 27 years. But you understand right? We've been down for so long...all I want is to support a team that makes the playoffs. It's been so long. You all understand right? I'm just going to post a lot of facts about my new favorite team just because it makes me feel so much better about having to support such a shit team for so long.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:34 pm Of course just recently I was talking up Shea Theodore, and so he had a forgettable game tonight.
Yeah. Game 2 wasn’t Tuch’s fault and Game 3 wasn’t Theodore’s fault but it’s interesting they’re the only two rookies on the team.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Don’t mean to be pedantic but this isn’t Theodore’s rookie season. He played in 53 NHL games before this season, well past the 25-game threshold to be still considered a rookie.