Things to do in Denver When You're Not Dead

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Things to do in Denver When You're Not Dead

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Taking the girl out to Denver to visit DU... Leaving today and we have pretty much an empty day on the calendar tomorrow (Friday).

Cool shit to do, keeping in mind I am dragging a high school senior along, so brewery for lunch is fine, but can't be the only thing on the itinerary.

Go...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Ryan
The Dude

Re: Things to do in Denver When You're Not Dead

Post by Ryan »

GOLF WITH THE NUGGETS

(Take that, Swamp Nugget fans)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I hear the sopapillas at Casa Bonita are sweet.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 am Taking the girl out to Denver to visit DU... Leaving today and we have pretty much an empty day on the calendar tomorrow (Friday).

Cool shit to do, keeping in mind I am dragging a high school senior along, so brewery for lunch is fine, but can't be the only thing on the itinerary.

Go...
Check out the Rino District. It's the "hip" neighborhood at the moment. Lots of shops, funky galleries, cafes, breweries and such. Denver Central Market is a good starting point.

Denver Art Museum is great as well if she's into that.

Toronto is in town to play the Rapids on Saturday afternoon if that fits in. Can't leave without experiencing the glory of Commerce City.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Denver v. St. Johns lacrosse at Peter Barton stadium. I know you may not want to spend the day watching lacrosse, but it will give your daughter a good feel for the campus love of sports. I have heard that the lax and hockey team followings are similar.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 am I hear the sopapillas at Casa Bonita are sweet.
Casa Bonita is cheesy, but with bad mexican food. But, way back when I was a kid in school, it was always an entertaining part of a visit to Denver.

I like the LoDo part of downtown. If you have lots of time, you could drive up to Red Rocks.
Last edited by sancarlos on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Hat tip for the Zevon reference.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fantastic thread title.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Yup, RiNo is pretty sweet.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are at Denver Museum of Nature & Science, so that may be of interest. I also like the Botanical Gardens.

By DU, Jerusalem Restaurant is great. Fantastic Gyros, etc. FERMÆNTRA is probably the closest brewery to DU, but there are lots of taprooms over off Broadway. I really like Comrade but that's east and IIRC the only one out that way near DU.

Not many taprooms have kitchens if you do plan on hitting one that suits your fancy check their FB/Web to see if they have a food truck at lunch time (a lot don't open until a time for a late lunch, sadly.)

Renting a car?

Might want to take a sojourn into the hills. Nice to head up to Silverthorne/Breck or so, grab lunch and a beer and then head back down. Same goes with going up to Estes, though RMNP isn't totally open yet, you can typically drive a good portion of the way up.

Red Rocks is pretty sweet, and New Terrain or Barrels and Bottles are great places out that way to grab lunch and a beer.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 am
rass wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:07 am I hear the sopapillas at Casa Bonita are sweet.
Casa Bonita is cheesy, but with bad mexican food. But, way back when I was a kid in school, it was always an entertaining part of a visit to Denver.

The food literally made me sweat, and not in the good Mexican food heat way, when we went there. The sopas are really good though....and they'd to soak in the glory that is Colfax.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Maybe things have changed and maybe the locals will dispute this, but if the Bonnie Brae Tavern is still around, it is right next to DU on University Blvd. and in my recollection, had really good pizza.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Casa Bonita was a South Park reference that always stuck with me because I was in Denver for a HS trip and we went to a big cheesy Mexican place while we were there and I completely forgot about that side trip until I saw said South Park episode and it sort of blew my mind.

(helps that it was a pretty fucking funny episode of SP overall)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Still there, but that part of town is basically the other side of the world, so I don't know about the pizza.

____

In LoDo, we hit up Euclid Tavern a couple of weeks ago. Really really good food and a great beer list the includes local as well as national highlights.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Building on what Rush, sancarlos and PDX said they are all great ideas. I was up in Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park last week...this is a good time to go if the weather cooperates since it's not crowded. It's a good way to get some experience in the mountains without the trainwreck that I-70 is on the weekends.

The RINO area mentioned and just across the highway from downtown have several neat food halls (they appear to be the next great thing out here). RINO has Denver Central Market, the Source and Zeppelin Station; across the highway is a place called Avanti. Avanti has great views of downtown although the weather is going to be a little suspect...around 50 degrees with some rain maybe in the afternoon.

This is oddly specific but if you like ice cream there is a local chain called Sweet Cow that has the best ice cream on the planet...anyone who says otherwise is either wrong or lying. Since you are going to be at DU there is one not too far from there in a neighborhood called Platt Park.

I work downtown across from the state capitol and will be in my office tomorrow if you need assistance with anything. PM me and I can give you number if you wish.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:54 am This is oddly specific but if you like ice cream there is a local chain called Sweet Cow that has the best ice cream on the planet...anyone who says otherwise is either wrong or lying. Since you are going to be at DU there is one not too far from there in a neighborhood called Platt Park.
I will vouch for this. I loved their ice cream so much I even bought their hat.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 am Denver v. St. Johns lacrosse at Peter Barton stadium. I know you may not want to spend the day watching lacrosse, but it will give your daughter a good feel for the campus love of sports. I have heard that the lax and hockey team followings are similar.
That's on the list for sure. I've mentioned elsewhere that she's a huge hockey nerd and Denver has a great team. The games are very similar IMO and I think she'll dig it.

And it works well for us, because we have all day on Friday free, and then accepted student day is on Saturday morning. Lacrosse for a bit, then we'll grab lunch and see more of the city.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

TWILTS

Thanks gang! Very very helpful.

We do have a car and I brought up going to Red Rocks earlier in the week. We'll have to play it by ear, as The Girl is still feeling the after effects from a concussion and my wife is still recovering from back surgery.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Nothing much to add that hasn't been said already. I'd definitely recommend a drive up to the mountains for lunch. And the only ice cream I've had that can rival Sweet Cow is Wilcoxson's up in Montana. Defintely worth a stop while you're driving around.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

phxgators wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:56 am Nothing much to add that hasn't been said already. I'd definitely recommend a drive up to the mountains for lunch. And the only ice cream I've had that can rival Sweet Cow is Wilcoxson's up in Montana. Defintely worth a stop while you're driving around.

Little Man in the Highlands is pretty good as well.

(I hit up Sweet Cow a bit in Lafayette, right next to a Lucky Pie Pizza and beer joint. Little something for the kids, little something for Dad.)
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:29 pm
Little Man in the Highlands is pretty good as well.

(I hit up Sweet Cow a bit in Lafayette, right next to a Lucky Pie Pizza and beer joint. Little something for the kids, little something for Dad.)
Ah, yes, forgot about them. Went to Linger for lunch one day with the wife (great place if you haven't been) and Little Man was next door. Sat outside in the wind, with below freezing temps eating ice cream. Worth it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:16 am Casa Bonita was a South Park reference that always stuck with me because I was in Denver for a HS trip and we went to a big cheesy Mexican place while we were there and I completely forgot about that side trip until I saw said South Park episode and it sort of blew my mind.

(helps that it was a pretty fucking funny episode of SP overall)
I swear to g-d I thought that was made up. I had no idea it was a real thing.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

With NFC here we're closing in on NJ as the highest concentration of Swampers.

Steve don't you need more weed? SanCarlos, I know you do.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 am

I swear to g-d I thought that was made up. I had no idea it was a real thing.
My sister-in-law used to date a diver there..she tells her husband he has a lot to live up to.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Had an epic breakfast at Snooze this morning. Some of the best Huevos Rancheros ever, wife had pulled pork eggs Benedict with quinoa cakes.

Chilling at a Walgreens to get my daughter some meds for a lingering and annoying cough.

Gonna hit RR before the weather hits and then back to probably LoDo for late lunch and walking about. There are a bunch of restaurants literally across the street from our hotel including a brewery. So we got that going for us. Which is nice.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I was going to mention snooze, but you never know if you can walk right in or have to wait 3 hours behind tons of hipsters.

We went on International Pancake Day which was a very wise idea.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:38 pm Had an epic breakfast at Snooze this morning. Some of the best Huevos Rancheros ever, wife had pulled pork eggs Benedict with quinoa cakes.

Chilling at a Walgreens to get my daughter some meds for a lingering and annoying cough.

Gonna hit RR before the weather hits and then back to probably LoDo for late lunch and walking about. There are a bunch of restaurants literally across the street from our hotel including a brewery. So we got that going for us. Which is nice.
Is the Wynkoop still around, still good?

In college I dated a girl from Denver, and whenever we were there we'd always go there for happy hour.

My GF and I are going to be in Denver in June for a few days. Staying in RiNo for a couple of days (and going to a Rockies game), and then to Golden for my niece's wedding.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:59 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:38 pm Had an epic breakfast at Snooze this morning. Some of the best Huevos Rancheros ever, wife had pulled pork eggs Benedict with quinoa cakes.

In college I dated a girl from Denver, and whenever we were there we'd always go there for happy hour.

My GF and I are going to be in Denver in June for a few days. Staying in RiNo for a couple of days (and going to a Rockies game), and then to Golden for my niece's wedding.
I used to love the Wyncoop. Was a great place to shoot pool and drink beer.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:15 pm

I used to love the Wyncoop. Was a great place to shoot pool and drink beer.
Yep...great pool tables there.

And I was sitting at the bar there, waiting for that girl to get off work, watching a Cubs game, when this happened:

BASEBALL; Fan Tussles With Myers on Field
A 27-year-old bond trader ran on the field and attacked Randy Myers of the Chicago Cubs, moments after the reliever gave up a home run today that could have cost his team a chance at the National League wild-card spot.

The incident happened after pinch-hitter James Mouton hit a two-run homer that put the Houston Astros ahead by 9-7 in the eighth inning. Then a man jumped from the Wrigley Field stands, crossed the first-base line and ran toward the 6-foot-1-inch, 230-pound pitcher.

Myers saw the fan coming, dropped his glove and knocked him down with his forearm. The two were rolling on the ground near the pitcher's mound, and Myers had the man pinned when several Cubs players broke up the fight.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Yeah Wynkoop is still around. I don’t think it’s changed at all since I first went there 10 years ago or so. I’ve never been a fan of their beers but it still seems to be a popular place.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We hit Wynkoop! Very good beers but we weren't really ready for a full on meal so we just got some chips and queso. Food coming out of the kitchen definitely looked good.

Had dinner at a Next Door joint.. Very farm-to-table and the food we had was excellent.

Whirlwind day today and I'm not allowed to say anything official, but I expect to be adding to my Denver experiences quite a bit over the next four years!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The GF and I just spent 4 days in Denver for my niece's wedding, and I gotta say this: Denver has it going on. We had a blast! Highlights, beyond the wedding:

Thursday: Went to a Rockie's game in the afternoon, hit the Wynkoop and had a beer, went out to dinner, and then took a pedi-cab to Karaoke at a place called Armida's with the younger members of the wedding part.

Friday: Did a killer hike down by Castle Rock (south of Denver) to a spot called Devils Head. The views from the fire tower were awesome.

Saturday: Went hiking in a watershed area west of Evergreen with a college mate of mine, his wife, his son and the son's girlfriend. Amazing 6 mile hike during which we saw 3 other people, 1 of which was my friend's neighbor. Then had burgers and beers for lunch at his house with the epic view from the patio.

That night we went back to the RiNo part of Denver, and hit a couple of different breweries...Our Mutual Friend and 14er Brewing, and had dinner at a great Spanish place, Barcelona (the flan was out-of-this-world).

Then, as we were walking back to our car after dinner, we heard salsa music coming out of a building. We were trying to see where it was coming from, and a guy on the sidewalk said "Go in that red door and go up the stairs". So we did...turns out a bunch of latin dance studios were having a dance/party to benefit a non-profit working to help out immigrant/refugees from Latin America. And it was awesome. Amazing dancers, great music. Just a blast that we totally stumbled into.

Sadly, now the GF has gone back to Seattle and I'm in Colorado Springs, the land of Box Stores and Chain Restaurants, visiting my parents for the week.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:28 pm The GF and I just spent 4 days in Denver for my niece's wedding, and I gotta say this: Denver has it going on. We had a blast! Highlights, beyond the wedding:

Thursday: Went to a Rockie's game in the afternoon, hit the Wynkoop and had a beer, went out to dinner, and then took a pedi-cab to Karaoke at a place called Armida's with the younger members of the wedding part.

Friday: Did a killer hike down by Castle Rock (south of Denver) to a spot called Devils Head. The views from the fire tower were awesome.

Saturday: Went hiking in a watershed area west of Evergreen with a college mate of mine, his wife, his son and the son's girlfriend. Amazing 6 mile hike during which we saw 3 other people, 1 of which was my friend's neighbor. Then had burgers and beers for lunch at his house with the epic view from the patio.

That night we went back to the RiNo part of Denver, and hit a couple of different breweries...Our Mutual Friend and 14er Brewing, and had dinner at a great Spanish place, Barcelona (the flan was out-of-this-world).

Then, as we were walking back to our car after dinner, we heard salsa music coming out of a building. We were trying to see where it was coming from, and a guy on the sidewalk said "Go in that red door and go up the stairs". So we did...turns out a bunch of latin dance studios were having a dance/party to benefit a non-profit working to help out immigrant/refugees from Latin America. And it was awesome. Amazing dancers, great music. Just a blast that we totally stumbled into.

Sadly, now the GF has gone back to Seattle and I'm in Colorado Springs, the land of Box Stores and Chain Restaurants, visiting my parents for the week.
DiS...if you get the chance, wake up early and do the Incline...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manitou_Incline. You may see lots of Olympic hopefuls pushing themselves on this one. Hard but great.

Also some solid wild game restaurants in the area. I can't remember the place I was recommended when I was there but it was fantastic. May have been Briarhurst Manor.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Saturday: Went hiking in a watershed area west of Evergreen
I almost did that hike with my son this past weekend too, but did some other family stuff instead. Hoping to make it out there in the next couple of weeks.

Where was that hike near Evergreen, any idea? The lack of other hikers sounds awesome.
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:28 pm Sadly, now the GF has gone back to Seattle and I'm in Colorado Springs, the land of Box Stores and Chain Restaurants, visiting my parents for the week.
My condolences... I work on the northern edge of the Springs and even the chain restaurants around here are relatively mediocre.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:28 pmThursday: took a pedi-cab to Karaoke at a place called Armida's with the younger members of the wedding part.
I made my karaoke debut there almost a decade ago.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”