Anyone else---Dan LeBetard Show

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Anyone else---Dan LeBetard Show

Post by tennbengal »

It is with some amazement that I realize I have become a huge fan of the show. The thread is prompted by me wondering if I am alone (I actually subscribe to the podcast and listen to as much as I can of them) and also Michael Shur (Mose Shrute, Fire Joe Morgan (RIP), showrunner for Parks & Rec and Brooklyn 99 and the Good Place) writing this really solid piece for Slate of all places:

https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/espns ... sible.html

I am still laughing over them roasting MLB and the Marlins/Jeter for the latest destruction of the Marlins this past off-season and them lucking into one of their guys being at Opening Day to make fun of it and getting the literal crack of the bat and the first pitch of the season homerun served up to Ian Happ.

In any event, no larger point, but the show tends to delight me, which is highly unusual for the sports radio form (although they don't try to be sports radio really).
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Anyone else---Dan LeBetard Show

Post by A_B »

Three years ago I hated it. Now I feel like I know enough of the inside jokes to enjoy it. So yeah, I'm all in on it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:21 am Three years ago I hated it. Now I feel like I know enough of the inside jokes to enjoy it. So yeah, I'm all in on it.
I think that's where I am at - I don't know that I ever hated it, I just didn't fully get what they were doing. At some point, it clicked with me. Shur's column captures some of why that is. I was in the car and able to listen "live" when the soup day unfolded. It was awesome.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I have always enjoyed the show.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I enjoy it as well...not everyday but that is just because of my time constraints and other listening priorities.

I think what LeBetard has been doing is a more intelligent (or at least more broad) version what Tony Kornheiser has been doing for years. Traditional sports radio takes itself far too seriously (I'm looking at you Boston, Philly and...well I guess pretty much every local sports talk station everywhere)...LeBetard is a nice deviation from that. I think most sports fans looking for something to listen to are getting bored with things being constantly about sports...a mix makes things far more interesting.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I came in mid segment but why were they all calling each other by the wrong names today when Dominique called in?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So I happened to have the radio on ESPN yesterday morning while Golic and Wingo was on - I hate it since Wingo took over for Greeny - and they had a segment where it sure seemed like they were aping Le Batard's zoolike atmosphere. It was worse than usual.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don't listen that often, maybe just after big events like a NBA Western Conference Finals game 7 if I think of it and I'm not in love with the song playing on whatever SXM channel I was listening to when I was last in my car, but is Wingo ever on? Should have just kept the old name based on what I usually hear.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:02 pm I don't listen that often, maybe just after big events like a NBA Western Conference Finals game 7 if I think of it and I'm not in love with the song playing on whatever SXM channel I was listening to when I was last in my car, but is Wingo ever on? Should have just kept the old name based on what I usually hear.
He is gone a lot. They should have just brought in Junior. I don't mind him too much. I know they probably felt like they needed a steadying journalist hand, but WIngo talks over people ALL THE TIME. Adnan is usually solid.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Man, I happen to think Golic and Wingo is a massive improvement over Mike & Mike. Different strokes I guess.

Also, the LeBatard show is still killing it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:27 pm Man, I happen to think Golic and Wingo is a massive improvement over Mike & Mike. Different strokes I guess.

Also, the LeBatard show is still killing it.
It's no worse than the last 2 years of MIke and Mike which fell off a lot, IMO.