NBA Playoffs 2018

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NBA Playoffs 2018

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:49 pm Anthony Davis. That is all.
Never been in a series that went more than four games!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:50 am I am not prepared for Ricky Rubio to be the guy that takes out the Thunder
You can make the case that either Carmelo Anthony or Andre Roberson are doing it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:04 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:50 am I am not prepared for Ricky Rubio to be the guy that takes out the Thunder
You can make the case that either Carmelo Anthony or Andre Roberson are doing it.
Or that, for the fourth straight playoff series, Westbrook is shooting sub-40%. That seems notable, too.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The fuck with the Jazz uniforms last night...
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:06 pm The fuck with the Jazz uniforms last night...
Those jerseys are meant to honor Southern Utah. They’re so ridiculous that I actually like them. They remind me of some of the classic hideous baseball uniforms from the 70s and 80s.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Joe K wrote:Is Giannis the best in-game dunker ever? Vince was obviously great but I feel like Giannis’ ridiculous wingspan and hand size allows him to finish plays no one else could.
Bump! Another nasty, nasty posterization just now.

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Cavs are really taking this “only play one half of basketball per game” strategy too far. Played a solid first half, led by 10 at the half and then, predictably, gave up an immediate 10-2 run to start the third.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Joe K wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:01 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:06 pm The fuck with the Jazz uniforms last night...
Those jerseys are meant to honor Southern Utah. They’re so ridiculous that I actually like them. They remind me of some of the classic hideous baseball uniforms from the 70s and 80s.
+1
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Has a team ever changed coaches in the middle of a playoff series?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fucking Raptors.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Rex wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:39 pm Has a team ever changed coaches in the middle of a playoff series?
Lue is to NBA coaches as Joe Flacco is to NFL players. The one improbable championship run has helped him avoid criticism for being absolutely awful after that. They’re probably going to lose this series to the Pacers and watching how terrible their offense and defense has been in the second halves of games I don’t see them surviving the East even if they get out of this jam.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ugly win but had to get it done.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Some guys just like to thieve. Bet you theres a line of folks looking to recover lost items around the office... might want to look into a bodyguard.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

50 points in one quarter is good, right?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Raise the cat, bitches. Raise the cat.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 pm Raise the cat, bitches. Raise the cat.
I’m really, really impressed with the Sixers’ toughness and composure. After the Game 1 blowout, Miami tried to goon it up and Philly didn’t back down or get baited into retaliation. Brad Stevens scares me a bit because he’s the best I’ve ever seen at getting the most out of middling talent. But this Sixers team could absolutely win the East.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I feel like I put this in the wrong thread because I can't believe no one has commented on how ridiculous this video is. I've truly never seen anything like a minute long tribute montage of a guy playing defense (including 2 fouls!) when his team lost by 17 points.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Joe K wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:46 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:48 pm Raise the cat, bitches. Raise the cat.
I’m really, really impressed with the Sixers’ toughness and composure. After the Game 1 blowout, Miami tried to goon it up and Philly didn’t back down or get baited into retaliation. Brad Stevens scares me a bit because he’s the best I’ve ever seen at getting the most out of middling talent. But this Sixers team could absolutely win the East.
They really kept their cool when Miami took some real cheap shots in the 4th period. They were the better team, they never forgot that, and just tried to play their game. Miami couldn't keep up.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I really shouldn't watch this game. The Pacers just tied after a terrible start to the second half. Missed the comeback putting the kiddos to bed.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nice goaltend by James.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nice three pointer by James.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

That it was.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Glad that I held back on the hottest of my Westbrook and Billy Donovan takes! (Melo is such a shell of a player at this point that he’s not even a fun tatget.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Joe K wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 am Glad that I held back on the hottest of my Westbrook and Billy Donovan takes! (Melo is such a shell of a player at this point that he’s not even a fun tatget.)
If you register at a Syracuse fan board, you could have a lot more fun talking about how Anthony is pretty washed up (ball stopper and remorseless chucker on offense, indifferent at best on defense, refused to play the four with the Knicks after he and the team were both very successful when he did it...).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm Nice goaltend by James.
So that was a goaltend, everyone knows it. It's also one that you won't see called that often in an end of game scenario. I'm just gonna operate under the impression that James hits the three no matter what! (Even though being down two is much more pressure than being tied)
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:03 am
So that was a goaltend, everyone knows it. It's also one that you won't see called that often in an end of game scenario. I'm just gonna operate under the impression that James hits the three no matter what! (Even though being down two is much more pressure than being tied)
Agree completely. Rules just aren't the same in the NBA. Hell, James took three steps then stopped, did a jump stop, and hit a layup. Obvious travel. Doing either one, not a travel.

I didn't watch much of the second half, so I can't comment on the game. Just from what I saw in the last half of the fourth and the first five minutes of the third (which was horrible by the Pacers). It seemed to be an exciting game for the most part. Win or lose the Pacers have got to be extremely happy with getting the fifth seed this year. Most everyone had them written off after the George trade. They are young and have a decent core to work with.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

It was also really hard to see the goaltend at full speed because Oladipo released the ball so close to the backboard. It was only after I saw a really slowed down video, from a particular camera angle, that I was convinced the ball hit the glass before James got it. The refs don’t have the benefit of the slo-mo shots and that play wasn’t reviewable based on the replay rules.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:16 am
Joe K wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 am Glad that I held back on the hottest of my Westbrook and Billy Donovan takes! (Melo is such a shell of a player at this point that he’s not even a fun tatget.)
If you register at a Syracuse fan board, you could have a lot more fun talking about how Anthony is pretty washed up (ball stopper and remorseless chucker on offense, indifferent at best on defense, refused to play the four with the Knicks after he and the team were both very successful when he did it...).
best lineup going forward should be Russ, Abrines, PG, Grant and Adams with Patterson and Felton as the next two up
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Joe K wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 am
It was also really hard to see the goaltend at full speed because Oladipo released the ball so close to the backboard. It was only after I saw a really slowed down video, from a particular camera angle, that I was convinced the ball hit the glass before James got it. The refs don’t have the benefit of the slo-mo shots and that play wasn’t reviewable based on the replay rules.
Absolutely. No way anyone catches that live. I was just being a whiny fan-boi at that point. And then the dagger three just made it worse.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Congrats, Pruitt.

Go Leafs!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

“Jurassic Park” as the outdoor viewing area is just way too clever.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Piss poor
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:42 pm “Jurassic Park” as the outdoor viewing area is just way too clever.
Raptors were Cretaceous.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:54 pm
brian wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:42 pm “Jurassic Park” as the outdoor viewing area is just way too clever.
Raptors were Cretaceous.
Piss pedantics.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 pm Congrats, Pruitt.

Go Leafs!
As I said earlier in the thread, I'm not convinced that the Raptors are a very good team, but the Wizards are definitely not.

And that Gortat - he makes Valanciunas seem like a superstar.

And the classic joke around here is - How do you know it's spring in Toronto?

Because the Leafs are out.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:49 pm

Go Leafs!
As I said earlier in the thread, I'm not convinced that the Raptors are a very good team, but the Wizards are definitely not.
I’m pretty convinced we’re headed towards a Raptors/Sixers ECF. I’m also convinced the Warriors are going to sweep the Finals, but if Toronto wins the East, it’s fans should sincerely appreciate the accomplishment. The front office and coaching staff has done a great job over the last 5 years building such a solid team without any true marquee parts. (I know DeRozan is an All-Star several times over but he’s certainly no Curry or Durant and plenty of people derided their front office for maxing him out.)
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Also, I’ll admit to being surprised that the Cavs really are every bit as bad as they looked in the regular season. There is no switch to flip. I think the most likely Game 7 outcome is a narrow Cavs win, but an easy Cavs win would surprise me a lot more than a blowout loss. If LeBron doesn’t have it early, they could lose by 20+ even at home.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Joe K wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Go Leafs!
I’m pretty convinced we’re headed towards a Raptors/Sixers ECF. I’m also convinced the Warriors are going to sweep the Finals, but if Toronto wins the East, it’s fans should sincerely appreciate the accomplishment. The front office and coaching staff has done a great job over the last 5 years building such a solid team without any true marquee parts. (I know DeRozan is an All-Star several times over but he’s certainly no Curry or Durant and plenty of people derided their front office for maxing him out.)
I really think the rockets might have something to say about the warriors coming out of the west. This is a very overlooked team as a 1 seed. The rockets could very easily end up playing the raptors for the title and nobody seems to think they have a prayer of beating a warriors team that is very banged up...this is an offense that had a 50-20 third quarter in the playoffs with the league mvp on their team and a retardedly good record when cp3 harden and capella all start. i just dont get the public perception
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:14 pm

Go Leafs!
I agree 100% with what you've written. Masai Ujiri probably ranks between Drake and Derozan in terms of being loved by the fans. He took over an afterthought of a franchise and has turned it into an (Eastern) powerhouse.

My fear, and the black cloud hanging over the team is LeBron. Obviously, every team's fans fear him, but he is a spectre that keeps Raptor fans awake at night.