Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: NBA Playoffs 2018

Post by Joe K »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:16 am
Joe K wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:14 pm
Pruitt wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:49 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:40 pm Congrats, Pruitt.

Go Leafs!
As I said earlier in the thread, I'm not convinced that the Raptors are a very good team, but the Wizards are definitely not.
I’m pretty convinced we’re headed towards a Raptors/Sixers ECF. I’m also convinced the Warriors are going to sweep the Finals, but if Toronto wins the East, it’s fans should sincerely appreciate the accomplishment. The front office and coaching staff has done a great job over the last 5 years building such a solid team without any true marquee parts. (I know DeRozan is an All-Star several times over but he’s certainly no Curry or Durant and plenty of people derided their front office for maxing him out.)
I really think the rockets might have something to say about the warriors coming out of the west. This is a very overlooked team as a 1 seed. The rockets could very easily end up playing the raptors for the title and nobody seems to think they have a prayer of beating a warriors team that is very banged up...this is an offense that had a 50-20 third quarter in the playoffs with the league mvp on their team and a retardedly good record when cp3 harden and capella all start. i just dont get the public perception
Don’t get me wrong, I think the Rockets are a really great team. But the Warriors, if healthy, are the most talented team in NBA history. Curry’s obviously missed a lot of time but when he’s been on the court, this year’s team has had an offensive efficiency rating well above the best ever recorded. And a Curry-Durant pick-and-roll is the single most unstoppable play in basketball. Based on the latest reports, it sounds like his recovery has gone smoothly and he may even play tonight.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I watched the 4th qtr of the OKC-Jazz game last night, which is the most NBA I've watched all year. So, with that disclaimer...why do people say that Paul George is good? 'Cause he SUCKED last night. And I was so glad that he didn't get the bail-out call on that last 3 attempt. That would have been atrocious.

And Carmelo is done.

Oh, and fuck the Thunder/Clay Bennett/Howard Schulz/David Stern for now and forever.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Fwiw, It appears that most Warrior fans are legit concerned about this series against New Orleans. Anthony Davis. As always, I won't pretend I know enough to have a strong opinion, other than, "Go, Warriors".
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: NBA Playoffs 20

Post by Joe K »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:41 pm Fwiw, It appears that most Warrior fans are legit concerned about this series against New Orleans. Anthony Davis. As always, I won't pretend I know enough to have a strong opinion, other than, "Go, Warriors".
Curry should be back for Game 2, but even if he missed the whole series, the Warriors would be sizable favorites.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Joe K wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:12 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:41 pm Fwiw, It appears that most Warrior fans are legit concerned about this series against New Orleans. Anthony Davis. As always, I won't pretend I know enough to have a strong opinion, other than, "Go, Warriors".
Curry should be back for Game 2, but even if he missed the whole series, the Warriors would be sizable favorites.
Yeah, no one’s beating the Warriors until 2020 at the earliest.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Joe K wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:41 pm
Joe K wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:12 pm
Yeah, no one’s beating the Warriors until 2020 at the earliest.

i hope we get a rockets warriors series to settle this. I cant stress enough that the rockets are the best offensive team in the nba with the leagues best player and homecourt advantage. its infuriating to see them so casually dismissed because somehow the warriors are this unbeatable dynasty. nobody can keep pace with the rockets offense when they are hitting threes. No team has ever hit more threes in a season then this team. This team has been almost perfect this year when starting harden capella and cp3....the same rockets team that WON its season series against golden state this year...and by the way the one golden state win againsy houston came when HARDEN wasnt playing...the warriors were at full strength all three games. in conclusion, stop overlooking þe rockets, they are the better team this year by every standard of measurement
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Houston was the best team this season. And Harden was the best player. I also think CP3 is a top-5 point guard of all-time. But I think it’s evident from the last 6 games that the Warriors were coasting through the regular season and saving another gear for the postseason. And if you polled NBA coaches and GMs on which players from those teams they wanted on their team for a playoff series, Durant and Curry would both finish well ahead of Harden or Paul. Houston has a chance if Curry is significantly hobbled. But they’ve been playing really well even without him this postseason and if he’s anywhere close to full strength, forget it.

ETA: None of the above is meant to denigrate Houston by the way. It’s more meant to reflect that the Warriors with Durant have the biggest talent edge relative to the rest of their league of any pro team in the modern era, in any major American sport. The Sixers are 20-1 in their last 21 games, including 10-0 with Embiid, and I don’t think they’d even win a game in the Finals if the Warriors played their hardest for all 4 games.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Joe K wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:07 am Houston was the best team this season. And Harden was the best player. I also think CP3 is a top-5 point guard of all-time. But I think it’s evident from the last 6 games that the Warriors were coasting through the regular season and saving another gear for the postseason. And if you polled NBA coaches and GMs on which players from those teams they wanted on their team for a playoff series, Durant and Curry would both finish well ahead of Harden or Paul. Houston has a chance if Curry is significantly hobbled. But they’ve been playing really well even without him this postseason and if he’s anywhere close to full strength, forget it.

ETA: None of the above is meant to denigrate Houston by the way. It’s more meant to reflect that the Warriors with Durant have the biggest talent edge relative to the rest of their league of any pro team in the modern era, in any major American sport. The Sixers are 20-1 in their last 21 games, including 10-0 with Embiid, and I don’t think they’d even win a game in the Finals if the Warriors played their hardest for all 4 games.
so even though they were fighting for the one seed and healthy, the losses during the season dont register because they werent really trying? They will magically ramp up in the playoffs? Look im not saying they wont go to the finals or beat houston. they could. my issue is that you think its golden state in one class and then everybody else in the west....whereas i think the west is golden state and houston and everyone else. houston in my head has a chance whether curry is hobbled or not. i could easily see rockets warriors going 7, and just one more point. if its "evident from the last six games" the warriors have this massive gear they shift into then why the fuck did they drop a game to san antonio? surely with that gear kicked in they should sweep a first round series against a 7 seed?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

That Cavs-Pacers series was about as close as it could ever be to one guy singlehandedly winning a playoff series. LeBron was unreal in the games the Cavs won (42 ppg on 62% shooting), and got minimal help from his teammates. Korver was good late in Game 4 and Love had a big fourth quarter today, but as a whole the non-LBJ Cavs shot like 37% even if you limit it to just the four games they won.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I watched while I was on the golf course. What a time to be alive.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Game on. Long game. First to a title. Or two.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Cavs in 5.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 5:55 amCavs in 5.
I don’t know about that but last night was a bad, bad loss by the Raptors. Their offense completely cratered during the last 10 minutes and OT, against an opponent that isn’t exactly the 2004 Pistons defensively. Losing homecourt advantage, despite LeBron having his worst shooting game of the playoffs, is tough to swallow.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Joe K wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:43 am
I don’t know about that but last night was a bad, bad loss by the Raptors. Their offense completely cratered during the last 10 minutes and OT, against an opponent that isn’t exactly the 2004 Pistons defensively. Losing homecourt advantage, despite LeBron having his worst shooting game of the playoffs, is tough to swallow.
He may have had a bad shooting game, but he is just so, so much better than anyone else out there.

Once Tristan Thompson went back in, Valunciunas played like Raptors' legend Rafael Araujo.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 am
Joe K wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 6:43 am
He may have had a bad shooting game, but he is just so, so much better than anyone else out there.

Once Tristan Thompson went back in, Valunciunas played like Raptors' legend Rafael Araujo.
It took until Game 7 of the Pacers series for them to figure it out, but the Cavs going back to Thompson for meaningful minutes was a good adjustment. Love just can’t handle the defensive responsibility of being playing Center without another big man alongside him. And LeBron and Thompson have played together long enough to have developed some offensive chemistry, even though Thompson’s offensive game is limited.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Christ almighty - LeBron gets EVERY call.;
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The ol’ having LeBron on your team strategy is killing it once again in the Eastern Conference playoffs
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

LeBron get a bad donut at Tim Hortons or something?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:02 pm The ol’ having LeBron on your team strategy is killing it once again in the Eastern Conference playoffs
Yep. A man playing with boys out there.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Meanwhile on TSN 4...

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:26 pm
Rex wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:02 pm The ol’ having LeBron on your team strategy is killing it once again in the Eastern Conference playoffs
Yep. A man playing with boys out there.
I’m feeling dumb for ever doubting that LeBron would win the East this year. Of course he will. He truly is ridiculous.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I saw the first half, but then went to a movie, but snuck a score check just before the main event started and was surprised to see the Cavs up 14 or something like that. I kinda like that they didn't have to hit 20 threes to score efectively.

And man, that Ben Simmons game was, um, something.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 am I saw the first half, but then went to a movie, but snuck a score check just before the main event started and was surprised to see the Cavs up 14 or something like that. I kinda like that they didn't have to hit 20 threes to score efectively.

And man, that Ben Simmons game was, um, something.
The Raptors came out for the second half like they'd done shots in the dressing room. It's cold, drizzling and foggy in Toronto today, a perfect reflection of the way Raptors fans feel. All the retooling, all the promise of the season, all gone.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

A_B wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:29 am I saw the first half, but then went to a movie, but snuck a score check just before the main event started and was surprised to see the Cavs up 14 or something like that. I kinda like that they didn't have to hit 20 threes to score efectively.

Well "they" (and by that I am referring to one person) scored effectively by repeatedly taking 15-20 foot turnarounds and making all of them. I'm not sure there was a single efficient shot in the bunch.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The defending wasn't bad on a lot of those shots either. Just an all-time great having an epic night.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am

Well "they" (and by that I am referring to one person) scored effectively by repeatedly taking 15-20 foot turnarounds and making all of them. I'm not sure there was a single efficient shot in the bunch.
I mean, 30 foot threes aren't typically classified as "efficient" but when Curry takes them they become more so, right? Lebron has been adding that dirk shot for a while now and I guess he had an above average shooting night on them.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The redshirt damn near threw up a goose egg. Still like his game but maybe we can stop the Magic comparisons for a while.

Also, the Cavs/Celtics trade is decided to be firmly in favor of the Celtics. The Sixers/Celtics trade is decided firmly in favor of the Celtics, unless you like playoff DNP-CDs from your first overall pick. And the Celtics are going to run this conference starting next year for the foreseeable future. After game 1, theyre playing solely with house money and have a a bunch of swings to get to a conference finals against a flawed team. Still has the man, but still very flawed.

Lots of love for Stevens but Danny Ainge is the man, aside from canning jumpers off Larry Legend assists. So much talk about the process but ill take one down year, right back to playoffs and then contending for titles again.
Last edited by HaulCitgo on Fri May 04, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I wouldn’t count on the Celtics winning the East next year. Mainly because LeBron is not human. I mean, his performances in Games 2, 5 and 7 against Indiana and last night against Toronto would all be easily the best ever game by all but a small number of All-Star caliber NBA players. And he’s done that four times in like the last two weeks.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Well its not guaranteed that hell be playing in the Finals this year much less that hes playing on the Cavs next year.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:11 am Well its not guaranteed that hell be playing in the Finals this year much less that hes playing on the Cavs next year.
He could go to the Knicks or Nets next year and I still wouldn’t count him out in the East playoffs. This current run he’s on over the last few weeks is one of the most incredible stretches of basketball I can remember: he’s averaged 39.3 ppg, 10.3 rpg, and 9.0 apg in the Cavs’ 6 playoff wins, on nearly 60% shooting. And other than last night they haven’t had a comfortable win, so they’ve needed every bit of that obscene production.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

20 years from now people are going to look back and laugh about him not being recognized as the clear best player ever while he was still active.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:41 am 20 years from now people are going to look back and laugh about him not being recognized as the clear best player ever while he was still active.
By Game Score, in the last 16 days LeBron has turned in 4 of the top-7 playoff games ever by a player age 33 or older.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:41 am 20 years from now people are going to look back and laugh about him not being recognized as the clear best player ever while he was still active.
How is this even a thing?

Just like there were great players when Jordan or Gretzky were at their peaks, they were clearly better than everyone else. Is it because he didn;t win a title until he was part of "The Big 3" in Miami?

It boggles the mind.

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:20 am
How is this even a thing?

Just like there were great players when Jordan or Gretzky were at their peaks, they were clearly better than everyone else. Is it because he didn;t win a title until he was part of "The Big 3" in Miami?

It boggles the mind.

I think it’s largely because LeBron came into the league with so much hype and people had a visceral reaction to a high schooler getting that much praise. I remember back in 2003 a lot of fans were saying that Carmelo was or would be better, because he won that title at Syracuse and proved he was a winner. That’s hilarious in retrospect but it was a real thing. And it took too long for LeBron to start winning MVPs. He was probably the best player alive by 2006, when he was still only 22, but I don’t think he won his first MVP until 2009 because many wanted him to “pay his dues.” Still, people try to say that it would be different if he played against “tough 90s defenses,” as if defenders 25-30 years ago would have any clue what to do with a guy the size of Karl Malone who could score like Jordan and pass like Magic.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just had to refresh my memory on some of Jordan's stats. He averaged 37 points a game in 86-87. He won the title by 8 points a game.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Averaged 4.6 assists and 5.2 rebounds that season, which would both be career lows for LeBron.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:06 pm Averaged 4.6 assists and 5.2 rebounds that season, which would both be career lows for LeBron.
What makes LeBron’s passing even better is that he’s incredible at both visualizing and executing passes to 3 point shooters. If you account for the efficiency value of an open 3, LeBron really may be the best passer ever.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

LeBron doesnt score like Jordan. Not even close. And he doesnt pass like Magic either. Really, hes not as big as Karl Malone either. You dont have to make up stuff to argue that LeBron is the best ever. I disagree and so would MJ but his relative weakness has always been an ability to score himself. No one ever said that about MJ. The passing has always been his unique trait but its not like hes the best passer in the history of the league or even on page one really. By the end of his career Malone was seriously swole. Like thighs for arms swole. LeBron doesnt dominate the post or the boards like Malone.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Doesn't score like Jordan or can't score like Jordan? And can we attribute any of that to the NBA changing to allow the zone pretty much right when Jordan was leaving and LeBron was coming in?