NBA Playoffs 2018

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: NBA Playoffs 2018

Post by HaulCitgo »

Problem with Embiid has nothing to do with jokes, has everything to do with playing about 50 games over 3 years. If you overlook that, ive got a Greg Oden in my backyard id like to sell.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I'm kind of with mister d on this one. There's a fine line between "refreshingly candid" and just being a dick, and what I've seen from Embiid is toeing it pretty close.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 pm Problem with Embiid has nothing to do with jokes, has everything to do with playing about 50 games over 3 years. If you overlook that, ive got a Greg Oden in my backyard id like to sell.
He played 63 games this season alone, and the broken orbital bone was a fluky injury that had nothing to do with his past foot or back injuries.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm I'm not, I'm doing a "nonstop attempts to be cutesy-goofy by adults wears on me quickly" bit. And I'm pretty certain people will eventually come around on this one.
Counterpoint: he just turned 24 years old. How many of us would act all buttoned up if we we were famous millionaires in our early 20s?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 pm I'm not, I'm doing a "nonstop attempts to be cutesy-goofy by adults wears on me quickly" bit. And I'm pretty certain people will eventually come around on this one.
Counterpoint: he just turned 24 years old. How many of us would act all buttoned up if we we were famous millionaires in our early 20s?
Just the smart ones of us.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Joe K wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 pmCounterpoint: he just turned 24 years old. How many of us would act all buttoned up if we we were famous millionaires in our early 20s?
Counter-counterpoint: How many 24 year olds are there in professional sports right now?

Its a balancing act. Guys like Didi and Luongo and McCarthy seem to have it nailed. Subban sat right on the line for a while but his heart seems clearly in the right place. And then there's the other loooooook at meeeeeee side that just gets tedious, like Howard and Embiid and Watt (different way) and Bissonnette.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

94 games in 4 years. Guess hes a lock to play 23-24 times a year. Back up the brinks truck.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:35 pm 94 games in 4 years. Guess hes a lock to play 23-24 times a year. Back up the brinks truck.
FWIW, when the Sixers “backed up the Brinks truck” for his big extension, they put in more detailed injury clauses than have ever been included in an NBA contract. So it’s not like they’ve just thrown caution to the wind and committed a lot of money to him without regard for any injury risk.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'd definitely attribute this year's missed games to things other than the recurring leg issues. Obviously the eye socket isn't related, and I think the Sixers took a good tack on holding him out the last couple of weeks when it really didn't matter that much. Then he missed a few second of "back-to-back" early on when he was still on a more strict minutes limit, which is pretty reasonable, too.

Now if he has issues next year staying on the court, that's when I'd start to be medium concerned as a SIxers fan. Only medium because there's some evidence they'll be fine with just Simmons doing his lebron thing - and if he gets to where he can hit a pull up with regularity then Embiid is truly a luxury resource. Obviously they should be better with Embiid, but they're in good shape either way. Simmons is way better than I expected him to be at this point.

(Embiid isn't going to be able to ear that black mask, though, right? SUrely the sixers have thought that one through and have a clear one ready.)
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

My warm take is that Brad Stevens is more valuable than all but a handful of NBA players. If the Celtics and Cavs swapped Stevens and Ty Lue at the start of this year, I think the Cavs would have finished 20+ games ahead of Boston.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 pm My warm take is that Brad Stevens is more valuable than all but a handful of NBA players. If the Celtics and Cavs swapped Stevens and Ty Lue at the start of this year, I think the Cavs would have finished 20+ games ahead of Boston.
He’s a stud.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

You ain't gonna win a whole lot when the other team has 100+ with 11:00 left.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:09 pm You ain't gonna win a whole lot when the other team has 100+ with 11:00 left.
I'm not 100% convinced that the Raptors are a very good team. But I am positive that the Wizards aren't good at all.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Cavs (lebron) led 16-1 and won by three. I am not inspired with confidence.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Hard to say they lead by that much if Oladipo plays more then 8 minutes in the first half. And his third foul in the 2Q was beyond ridiculous. Love not only slide his feet, but jumped into a player that was not going to hit him anyways. I thought the NBA was not going to call those blatant jump-ins anymore. But I haven't watched enough the past couple of years to know if that has been done.

Never pleased with a loss, but to pull within three after being down that big in the first is a good sign. And the way they played with Vic on the bench is a good thing also. Now if we can just keep James from scoring 40+ next game.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That was a foul they call all the time. Oladipo should have known. There are entire twitter convos about harden getting that exact call. And star reputations get call more than others. Oladipo has Been great this year but he isn’t star level yet. He can absolutely get there.

ETA; I removed a sentence because duff made a point I missed initially where I was an asshole.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I enjoyed the twitter discussion regarding playing with two fouls last night, most of which came through following haralabob. He was incredulous about pulling Oladipo after the second foul (suggested sitting him for just a couple minutes to calm down, then putting him back in) and, later on, the fact that Oladipo has fouled out once in his career came up.

Just dumb how coaches feel they can't risk playing a guy who might foul out, so they pull the guy from the game.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Last night's offensive performance by Harden would've been a 20-point blowout last year.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:43 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:09 pm You ain't gonna win a whole lot when the other team has 100+ with 11:00 left.
I'm not 100% convinced that the Raptors are a very good team. But I am positive that the Wizards aren't good at all.
With the way the Cavs are playing, I think the Raptors have to be considered the favorites to do the honors for the East of losing to the Warriors in 4 or 5 games.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

That was a damn impressive fourth quarter by the Sixers tonight. Total domination in an intense, chippy road game. Embiid, Simmons and Saric were all awesome down the stretch.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Joe K wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 pm That was a damn impressive fourth quarter by the Sixers tonight. Total domination in an intense, chippy road game. Embiid, Simmons and Saric were all awesome down the stretch.
The Sixers are just better than Miami, and when they play their game, Miami is helpless. Whiteside is worthless. Winslow decided to step on Embiid's goggles and break them. I guess it was a joke, but it sure looked cheesy to a Sixer fan. Doesn't matter, the final score is what counts, and it will only get worse. Wade had his one game on Monday. I don't know that he has another one left.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...this is pretty great from Deadspin wondering just what the fuck the T-wolves are doing:

https://deadspin.com/seriously-what-the ... ssion=true
The Rockets were overwhelming favorites to advance no matter what. But apart from the fairly obvious outcome, this series’ main intrigue was the chance to see how Minnesota’s fresh, talented, and unproven core would respond to its first playoff test. The impression so far is that they’re not even being allowed to take it. They’re being asked to stand aside so that Derrick Rose and Jamal Crawford can take it for them.

It’s all baffling. Why, after a season of riding its starters into the dirt, has Minnesota suddenly discovered a passion for egalitarian playing-time distribution that would make a youth soccer coach roll his eyes? Why have Butler and Towns suddenly become the team’s fourth and fifth scoring options, respectively, after carrying the team on their backs to the playoffs? Why has nobody done the only right thing to do and duct-taped Rose to the locker room ceiling so he can’t touch the ball or the court? I have no answers, only the growing certainty that neither does Tom Thibodeau.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:09 am So...this is pretty great from Deadspin wondering just what the fuck the T-wolves are doing:

https://deadspin.com/seriously-what-the ... ssion=true
The Rockets were overwhelming favorites to advance no matter what. But apart from the fairly obvious outcome, this series’ main intrigue was the chance to see how Minnesota’s fresh, talented, and unproven core would respond to its first playoff test. The impression so far is that they’re not even being allowed to take it. They’re being asked to stand aside so that Derrick Rose and Jamal Crawford can take it for them.

It’s all baffling. Why, after a season of riding its starters into the dirt, has Minnesota suddenly discovered a passion for egalitarian playing-time distribution that would make a youth soccer coach roll his eyes? Why have Butler and Towns suddenly become the team’s fourth and fifth scoring options, respectively, after carrying the team on their backs to the playoffs? Why has nobody done the only right thing to do and duct-taped Rose to the locker room ceiling so he can’t touch the ball or the court? I have no answers, only the growing certainty that neither does Tom Thibodeau.
Thibs sucks. That is why.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The NBA game has evolved so much in recent years that guys like Thibs, Rivers, Vogel and Brooks who were good coaches 5-10 years ago are like fossils now. To their credit, some more veteran coaches like Dwane Casey and Nate MacMillan have managed to adapt, but the game will pass you by quickly if you’re not willing to.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Cavs played some decent defense for a half. Who knew?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 pm Cavs played some decent defense for a half. Who knew?
Key phrase: “for a half.” Cavs effectively lost this season when they let Ty Lue survive the mid season purge. They’ve been blowing big halftime leads all season and this game is a fitting result.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yup. Been awful second half. And I know defenses are keyed on him but lebron has been tentative.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Lebron looks sick to be honest.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just an awful second half
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:17 pm Yup. Been awful second half. And I know defenses are keyed on him but lebron has been tentative.
This is obviously a flawed Cavs roster but I just can’t get past the fact that they flat out no-showed the first half in Game 1 and the second half tonight. If you have a 17 point halftime lead, you don’t need to play that well to hang on. Passable effort and execution should be sufficient—especially when you have one of the best players ever! I’m sure there will be lots of analysis before Game 4 but it all comes down to the fact that you can’t take entire halves off in playoff games. They’ve done that shit all year long but if Lue can’t get them to play a full game, even in the postseason, he’s gotta go.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Big Raptor-sized egg laid on the court in Washington.

What a waste of a Friday night.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Guys, you are forgetting one thing. Bojan, mother fuckers!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

duff wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:35 pm Guys, you are forgetting one thing. Bojan, mother fuckers!
Agreed. While I didn't watch the entire game, he was great in the half (or so) that I watched.

I was also a little befuddled as to why the Cavs went "threes only" in the last couple minutes before the first foul with under a minute to go.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:35 pm Guys, you are forgetting one thing. Bojan, mother fuckers!
He was the man last night.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Is Giannis the best in-game dunker ever? Vince was obviously great but I feel like Giannis’ ridiculous wingspan and hand size allows him to finish plays no one else could.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Micheal Cooper may disagree with you:

Although I do see what you’re saying about Giannis. That’s some oppressive dunking.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Anthony Davis. That is all.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fuck Vince Carter.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I am not prepared for Ricky Rubio to be the guy that takes out the Thunder
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer