The Dude

Major malfunction

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Re: Major malfunction

Post by Shirley »

Probably should have included the obligatory video.

Man, he was incredible in this movie. In fact, in a way, he ruined the movie by so overpowering every scene he was in.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:16 pm Probably should have included the obligatory video.

Man, he was incredible in this movie. In fact, in a way, he ruined the movie by so overpowering every scene he was in.
yes...his performance was so good that it overshadows the second part of the movie (in Hue City during the Tet Offensive), which is just as powerful.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I preferred his role as the Reverend Jimmie Lee Farnsworth. I didn’t make to church to often though. The brakes kept going out in my ‘59 Pink Cadillac.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Quoting an otherwise uninteresting article on Ermey, just for this part on how he got cast in "Full Metal Jacket" (I needed find a source that had it):
Kubrick hired Ermey to be an adviser. Then Ermey had a demo film made of him railing at a group of actors who were hoping to get in the movie. Ermey said he used the same insults and invective that he had used as a Marine staff sergeant.

Kubrick saw the demo. The rest is history.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:34 pm
Shirley wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:16 pm Probably should have included the obligatory video.

yes...his performance was so good that it overshadows the second part of the movie (in Hue City during the Tet Offensive), which is just as powerful.
Full Metal Jacket is basically two separate movies but it's awesome.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Watch Private Joker at the "Lemme see your war face" part of the scene. When Ermey screams "AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" it surprises Joker and he immediately tenses up for a brief moment. I've seen this movie a hundred times, and I always notice that reaction.

He also had a show on the History Channel for a few years called "Mail Call" that was pretty good.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm sure it's reported elsewhere but weird goof in this scene...note how Pyle starts out to the right of Private Joker but ends up 2 or 3 to the left of Joker and Cowboy. But that's the sort of thing you notice when you focus on 100 movies.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Like how Happy Gilmore's outfit changes for one scene mid-tournament. I gotcha.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gunney was the man and universally loved.

It absolutely sucks he passed.

His drill sergeant role is outstanding because it gave civilians a look at what military people do in small doses. Of course my basic training didn't exactly look like Marines boot camp in the 70's, but the Mary Jane Rottencrotch references still existed.

RIP.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.