Barbara Bush

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Barbara Bush

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Re: Barbara Bush

Post by rass »

ETA - I guess the Trump media team fixed it

“April 17, 2017”
Last edited by rass on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I don't know why I was surprised by the insane amount of coverage here.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

her ability to look 80 years old for 30 years was legendary
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The obits running about her are pretty nuts. All about how she 'spoke her mind', and was a 'reasonable conservative'.

I remember her saying crap like 'rhymes with rich' about Geraldine Ferraro, 'why would I worry my mind with that?' when asked about body bags coming back from Iraq, and saying that the refugees from Hurricane Katrina were mostly poor, so it worked out good for them when they were evacuated to Houston.

She always struck me as a WASP-y, patrician, snob.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Pretty sure when the term “reasonable Republican” or “reasonable Conservative” is used, it’s often just a synonym for “patrician snob.” William F. Buckley is still held up as an archetype of reasonableness despite saying some pretty absurdly racist stuff.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

In the grand scheme of folks in the political arena, she always struck me as circumspect, pragmatic and likely fairly powerful and respected behind the scenes. For the amount of time she was in the spotlight, a glib comment about Ferraro and a few obtuse comments here and there seem pretty innocuous.

Not singing her praises over here, but definitely don't have an issue with positive obits today. I thought a lot of the glowing stuff around Nancy's death was a lot more problematic.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think everybody enjoyed her occasional left-handed sort-of-insults of her son, GWB.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Classy guy Roger Stone is not a fan.
Trump political consigliere Roger Stone unloaded on Barbara Bush in an Instagram post on Tuesday evening just hours after her death. There, Stone wrote that the former first lady was a “nasty drunk” and posted a quote from him suggesting that if you lit her body on fire it would “burn for three days.”

“Barbara Bush was a nasty drunk. When it came to drinking she made Betty Ford look like Carrie Nation #blottoBabs,” said Stone. “Barbara Bush drank so much booze, if they cremated her … her body would burn for three days.”
LINK
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian