Toronto

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:11 pm

Something terrible has happened here today. Either our first brush with terrorism or just the work of a random homicidal maniac.

But 9 people are dead because a guy drove a van up a busy sidewalk just a couple of miles from my house and sped up. Cops got him, we'll know more soon.

This is not a good feeling. I love this city.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13852
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Toronto

Post by brian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:23 pm

Horrible. So hard to imagine what could lead someone to taking someone else's life regardless of the reason. Cold comfort I suppose, but be happy that the crazies in Canada can't get their hands on military firepower like ours can.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7377
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by degenerasian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:29 pm

Horrible. And from what a hear that's a popular area that was revamped for people to visit.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:43 pm

degenerasian wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:29 pm
Horrible. And from what a hear that's a popular area that was revamped for people to visit.
Oh that's always been a hugely busy area - the centre of "Downtown North York"

Dozens of restaurants, office buildings, stores etc.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13852
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Toronto

Post by brian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 pm



Just words, but sadly all too true.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Press conference in a few minutes. We'll know what sort of animal this was.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7377
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by degenerasian » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:58 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:36 pm
Press conference in a few minutes. We'll know what sort of animal this was.
No real details yet. Toronto police very careful. Video of police officer confronting the guy is amazing.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
Joe K
Donny
Posts: 2943
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by Joe K » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 pm

From a CBC article:
Yet one possible explanation has emerged online that suggests Minassian was angry over being rebuffed by women.

A Facebook post by a man with the same name and the same photo as the one that appears on Minassian's LinkedIn profile refers to the "Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger," a 22-year-old responsible for a deadly rampage in Isla Vista, Calif., that left six people dead and a dozen more injured.

In a video posted ahead of that 2014 attack, Rodger raged about a number of women turning down his advances, rendering men like him "incels," a term that stands for "involuntarily celibate."

Rodger referred to the men who always seemed to win with women as "Chads" and the women who turned men down as "Stacys."

The posting that appears to be by Minassian says the "incel rebellion has already begun. We will overthrow all the Chads and the Stacys."

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:37 am

They're ransacking his home, they'll have a reason soon.

Although the chronic, embittered loner/loser scenario makes sense. As much as anything can.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 8871
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Toronto

Post by sancarlos » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:33 am

When he's in prison, his worries about not getting laid might be alleviated.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7377
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by degenerasian » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Joe K wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 pm
From a CBC article:
Yet one possible explanation has emerged online that suggests Minassian was angry over being rebuffed by women.

A Facebook post by a man with the same name and the same photo as the one that appears on Minassian's LinkedIn profile refers to the "Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger," a 22-year-old responsible for a deadly rampage in Isla Vista, Calif., that left six people dead and a dozen more injured.

In a video posted ahead of that 2014 attack, Rodger raged about a number of women turning down his advances, rendering men like him "incels," a term that stands for "involuntarily celibate."

Rodger referred to the men who always seemed to win with women as "Chads" and the women who turned men down as "Stacys."

The posting that appears to be by Minassian says the "incel rebellion has already begun. We will overthrow all the Chads and the Stacys."
A lot of people are discovering this for the first time. The news networks are really struggling trying to explain this.

This actually worries me a bit more. Having internet discussion groups (not banned by reddit) mutating into acts of violence seems far more random and harder to stop than tracing individuals who become radicalized or plan religious or political-based terrorist acts.

I fear we may see more "meme" violence as people see it as outlets that, or some sort of attention-grabbing thing. One only has to look at the amount of attention-starved ass clowns doing dumb things on their YouTube channels for likes. Combine this need for attention with incredibly easy ways to commit violence, I think it's likely this happens again.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

User avatar
Joe K
Donny
Posts: 2943
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by Joe K » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:55 pm

I wouldn’t call this “meme violence” as much as violence inspired by a particularly toxic type of misogyny. Unfortunately there’s really no way to stop the use of vehicles as weapons. But there can be efforts to make it a lot harder for anyone with a history of domestic violence, stalking or threatening behavior to have access to guns.

User avatar
Brontoburglar
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3798
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 am

Re: Toronto

Post by Brontoburglar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:55 pm

"incels" is ... insane
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer

User avatar
P.D.X.
Donny
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by P.D.X. » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:59 pm

"volcel" even more!

User avatar
EnochRoot
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by EnochRoot » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 am

I'm trying to wrap my head around involuntary celibacy being a worthy cause, or thing, or whatever you want to call it.

Every male in the history of mankind has learned to deal with it.

Glad I don't have kids.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13852
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Toronto

Post by brian » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 am

EnochRoot wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 am
I'm trying to wrap my head around involuntary celibacy being a worthy cause, or thing, or whatever you want to call it.

Every male in the history of mankind has learned to deal with it.

Glad I don't have kids.
It's not a thing, it's just an offshoot of rape culture and misogyny amongst a relatively small subset of men. Unfortunately, it's not an especially unsurprising result to our culture gradually accepting and empowering women to not be subservient to men. I'm not saying I know this guy's politics, but I'd bet you can probably assume he would or does identify with alt-right assholes like Cernovich, et al.

Some men can't handle that they're not allowed to use women's bodies for whatever they feel like whenever they feel like it.
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
EnochRoot
The Big Lebowski
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by EnochRoot » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:58 am

brian wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 am
EnochRoot wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 am
I'm trying to wrap my head around involuntary celibacy being a worthy cause, or thing, or whatever you want to call it.

Every male in the history of mankind has learned to deal with it.

Glad I don't have kids.
It's not a thing, it's just an offshoot of rape culture and misogyny amongst a relatively small subset of men. Unfortunately, it's not an especially unsurprising result to our culture gradually accepting and empowering women to not be subservient to men. I'm not saying I know this guy's politics, but I'd bet you can probably assume he would or does identify with alt-right assholes like Cernovich, et al.

Some men can't handle that they're not allowed to use women's bodies for whatever they feel like whenever they feel like it.
It's funny/frustrating to hear such maladjusted freaks try to lump their pain in with every other person throughout the history of mankind.

Personally, my InCel years (junior high through freshman year in HS where I was 5'1, 100 lbs) were rife with developing some fucking kick-ass D&D characters that could take on any campaign you could throw at them. I honed my ability to play nearly any Led Zeppelin song on the drums, and I developed an outward sense of humor. I shot up a foot by my sophomore year and gained a bunch of weight and I came out of my shell, and the rest is history. Except it really wasn't a shell, so much as it was that I had accepted my own reality and made the best of it.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 11518
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Toronto

Post by A_B » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 am

brian wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 am
EnochRoot wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 am
I'm trying to wrap my head around involuntary celibacy being a worthy cause, or thing, or whatever you want to call it.

Every male in the history of mankind has learned to deal with it.

Glad I don't have kids.
It's not a thing, it's just an offshoot of rape culture and misogyny amongst a relatively small subset of men. Unfortunately, it's not an especially unsurprising result to our culture gradually accepting and empowering women to not be subservient to men. I'm not saying I know this guy's politics, but I'd bet you can probably assume he would or does identify with alt-right assholes like Cernovich, et al.

Some men can't handle that they're not allowed to use women's bodies for whatever they feel like whenever they feel like it.
I feel like there is some movie/tv show that really digs into this idea. I am completely blanking on it, though.
certainly expansive during tactical areas and specific zones

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 13856
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Toronto

Post by mister d » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:21 am

Paw Patrol.
bfj wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am
My people call that Kishka.

ETA - we don't call weird dicks Kishka.

User avatar
P.D.X.
Donny
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by P.D.X. » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:22 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/worl ... llion.html

Basically dudes who have given up because stuff is hard.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:48 am

EnochRoot wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:58 am
brian wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 am
EnochRoot wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 am
I'm trying to wrap my head around involuntary celibacy being a worthy cause, or thing, or whatever you want to call it.

Every male in the history of mankind has learned to deal with it.

Glad I don't have kids.
It's not a thing, it's just an offshoot of rape culture and misogyny amongst a relatively small subset of men. Unfortunately, it's not an especially unsurprising result to our culture gradually accepting and empowering women to not be subservient to men. I'm not saying I know this guy's politics, but I'd bet you can probably assume he would or does identify with alt-right assholes like Cernovich, et al.

Some men can't handle that they're not allowed to use women's bodies for whatever they feel like whenever they feel like it.
It's funny/frustrating to hear such maladjusted freaks try to lump their pain in with every other person throughout the history of mankind.

Personally, my InCel years (junior high through freshman year in HS where I was 5'1, 100 lbs) were rife with developing some fucking kick-ass D&D characters that could take on any campaign you could throw at them. I honed my ability to play nearly any Led Zeppelin song on the drums, and I developed an outward sense of humor. I shot up a foot by my sophomore year and gained a bunch of weight and I came out of my shell, and the rest is history. Except it really wasn't a shell, so much as it was that I had accepted my own reality and made the best of it.
I said elsewhere that this is an offshoot of social media. Angry loners are safer when they are alone. Their anger is fed by the anger of others (I know, stating the obvious here).

All three Toronto teams have massive playoff games tonight. The city is planning on showing all three games on big screens outside the ACC (where the Raptors are hosting the Wizards). Unfortunately, it is raining and 50 degrees now and isn;t getting dryer or warmer later. It would be a great display of this city's greatness tonight if there were thousands of people partying together outside just a few days after this atrocity.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Fri May 25, 2018 6:00 am

Bomb in Indian Restaurant Injures 15

(Mississauga is part of what is called the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). Part of our sprawl)

Obviously, this is not good. I could speculate, but this could be many different things.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Fri May 25, 2018 7:06 pm

"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 13852
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: T-Mobile Arena

Re: Toronto

Post by brian » Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 pm

Isn’t he from Vancouver? Is that gonna fly?
Vegas Golden Knights retired numbers:
#58 (To honor victims of 1 October shooting)

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm

brian wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 pm
Isn’t he from Vancouver? Is that gonna fly?
No problem whatsoever.

A Canadian who is famous in the States is considered a national treasure, regardless of where they are from. I mean, this is a country that has a game show host as one of its moist famous citizens.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
MaxWebster
Brandt
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by MaxWebster » Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Pierre Lalonde??
Pruitt wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm
I mean, this is a country that has a game show host as one of its moist famous citizens.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 am

MaxWebster wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 pm
Pierre Lalonde??
Pruitt wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm
I mean, this is a country that has a game show host as one of its moist famous citizens.
No. That's just being silly.

I meant Jim Perry!
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
MaxWebster
Brandt
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by MaxWebster » Mon May 28, 2018 11:44 am

#realheroes

Mad Dash and Definition were staples of my childhood tv viewing.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Mon May 28, 2018 6:00 pm

MaxWebster wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:44 am
#realheroes

Mad Dash and Definition were staples of my childhood tv viewing.
Weep, WEEP at the eloquence of the great man's valedictory address!

"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
MaxWebster
Brandt
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by MaxWebster » Thu May 31, 2018 9:07 pm

oh man, the YouTube wormhole.

I really watched a lot of this show, even as a little kid i loved the slow pace.

The Golden Jet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqphVd7h-1s

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Thu May 31, 2018 9:28 pm

MaxWebster wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:07 pm
oh man, the YouTube wormhole.

I really watched a lot of this show, even as a little kid i loved the slow pace.

The Golden Jet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqphVd7h-1s
That's nuts that you posted this. Just back from dinner with some old friends, we were talking game shows, and one of the guys had been on Definition!
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3173
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Toronto

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:09 am

35 years later, the words "Bobby Hull" still bring on instant sadness.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3173
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Toronto

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:10 am

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:09 am
35 years later, the words "Bobby Hull" still bring on instant sadness.
Or, 45 years. Geez.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 13856
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Toronto

Post by mister d » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:16 am

Did he date your mom in 1973?
bfj wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am
My people call that Kishka.

ETA - we don't call weird dicks Kishka.

User avatar
Steve of phpBB
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3173
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am

Re: Toronto

Post by Steve of phpBB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am

mister d wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:16 am
Did he date your mom in 1973?
No, but he fucked the whole city of Chicago.

(In hindsight, I can't blame him.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am
mister d wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:16 am
Did he date your mom in 1973?
No, but he fucked the whole city of Chicago.

(In hindsight, I can't blame him.)
The old time owners in the NHL may have been the most miserable group of bastards ever assembled.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Toronto police out in force near CN Tower over ‘unconfirmed, uncorroborated piece of information’

There was an intercepted threat regarding a vehicle driving into a crowd today or in the next few days. Foo Fighters show down there tonight - 30,000 or so in addition to the thousands of tourists in the area.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
RSmith
Brandt
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 pm
Location: Going away on a strange day

Re: Toronto

Post by RSmith » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pm
Toronto police out in force near CN Tower over ‘unconfirmed, uncorroborated piece of information’

There was an intercepted threat regarding a vehicle driving into a crowd today or in the next few days. Foo Fighters show down there tonight - 30,000 or so in addition to the thousands of tourists in the area.
Blast! Must have missed that. I love the Foo Fighters...

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 11804
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Toronto

Post by Pruitt » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:41 am

Man Walks Down Busy Toronto Street Shooting at People

Miraculously, only one person has died. This has not been a good summer.
"Maybe he shit out his memory." - Mr. D

User avatar
degenerasian
The Dude
Posts: 7377
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Re: Toronto

Post by degenerasian » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:17 pm

Pruitt wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:41 am
Man Walks Down Busy Toronto Street Shooting at People

Miraculously, only one person has died. This has not been a good summer.
I'm sure you've been following all day. two people have died and we now know the killer.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..

Post Reply