2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Post by Joe K »

I know that some of you guys probably don’t want to give Barstool any clicks, but this is the best summary I’ve seen of the latest (potential) Kevin Durant Twitter ridiculousness. Some exciting news for Wizards fans in here:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/i ... s-bullshit
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Post by Joe K »

This is huge:
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Curry
Thompson
Kawhi
KD
Draymond
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm This is huge:
Damn. Wonder if there's anyone available this offseason to replace him who'd like to come to a strong team with a stable front office.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No state income tax too, but there's no way Lebron is going to SA if Leonard isn't there. That team is on the way down without some kind of a massive reboot.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

More likely is that Kawhi and LeBron try to team up on the Lakers, with George possibly joining them.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:44 pm More likely is that Kawhi and LeBron try to team up on the Lakers, with George possibly joining them.
Just read the ESPN story that speculated on this. Interesting idea.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:22 am I know that some of you guys probably don’t want to give Barstool any clicks, but this is the best summary I’ve seen of the latest (potential) Kevin Durant Twitter ridiculousness. Some exciting news for Wizards fans in here:

Can't access link. Mind a tiny recap?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Trade Ball and Kozma for Leonard", basically. Adding in Leonard's shaky last season, does that really make the most sense for LA?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:56 pm
Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:22 am I know that some of you guys probably don’t want to give Barstool any clicks, but this is the best summary I’ve seen of the latest (potential) Kevin Durant Twitter ridiculousness. Some exciting news for Wizards fans in here:

Basically a random Twitter account started arguing with a Steph Curry fanboy about whether Curry or KD deserved Finals MVP. The random account said that the team consciously tried to get Curry MVP in Game 4 and also said that KD should leave after 2020 to go to the Wizards.

People did some digging and found that said account has liked/retweeted a bunch of posts promoting Durant and also uses some very similar and unique phrasing to KD’s official account. So naturally people are speculating that it’s another KD burner account.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:59 pm "Trade Ball and Kozma for Leonard", basically. Adding in Leonard's shaky last season, does that really make the most sense for LA?
Gotta do it. But if I’m SAS I want Ingram instead of Ball. Teaming up LeBron and Kawhi is one of the only possible ways for any team to have championship equity while the Warriors remain intact. If the Lakers swing the right trade they might even be able to add George too.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Basically a random Twitter account started arguing with a Steph Curry fanboy about whether Curry or KD deserved Finals MVP. The random account said that the team consciously tried to get Curry MVP in Game 4 and also said that KD should leave after 2020 to go to the Wizards.

People did some digging and found that said account has liked/retweeted a bunch of posts promoting Durant and also uses some very similar and unique phrasing to KD’s official account. So naturally people are speculating that it’s another KD burner account.
Gracias.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Still Ballin wrote:Psssh. Amateurs.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:39 pm
Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:27 pm This is huge:
Damn. Wonder if there's anyone available this offseason to replace him who'd like to come to a strong team with a stable front office.
Based only on the publicly available information, I wonder if Kawhi hasn't made himself a bit of a pariah. He's a huge talent, who I think still has some degree of upside, but it seems like he's acted rather unprofessionally in this mess. I suppose many teams would be willing to deal with that to gain the talent, but it's a bit of a question in my mind. Of course, it's entirely possible that there is more to the story than we know...
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

ESPN has a big piece on the Kawhi split with the Spurs a a few weeks ago and it’s pretty complicated. Kawhi’s official story is that the team tried to rush him back from an injury. But the team thinks he’s just using that as a pretext because his new management team wants him in a big media market. What complicates things is that one of Kawhi’s managers is also his uncle. Kawhi grew up in a rough part of LA and his father was killed in a drive-by shooting when Kawhi was a teenager. The uncle essentially acted like a father figure after that happened so Kawhi understandable trusts him an awful lot.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:41 pm ESPN has a big piece on the Kawhi split with the Spurs a a few weeks ago and it’s pretty complicated. Kawhi’s official story is that the team tried to rush him back from an injury. But the team thinks he’s just using that as a pretext because his new management team wants him in a big media market. What complicates things is that one of Kawhi’s managers is also his uncle. Kawhi grew up in a rough part of LA and his father was killed in a drive-by shooting when Kawhi was a teenager. The uncle essentially acted like a father figure after that happened so Kawhi understandable trusts him an awful lot.
Thanks mate, that makes some sense. I hadn't seen that; no ESPN here in Raps land ;-) . Very much of the worst behavior of athletes is motivated by their management, I think (see Boras, Scott)...

Then again, who am I to say that Kawhi's version isn't the truth? No one, really...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Boogie Cousins is a free agent too, right? He's coming off that injury, but he seems to be flying under the radar.

I wonder where he ends up.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

I'm fairly certain the Raps would trade Ibaka for a bag of balls to offload that contract...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:41 pm
Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:04 pm

Gracias.
I didn't really see any compelling evidence in there. Is the insinuation that there aren't real KD fanboys out there? The only thing that I thought had any merit was that the account was apparently deactivated. Otherwise, what was the evidence? That he spelled "because" as "cuz?" That's pretty weak.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I think Luka Doncic is easily the best prospect in this draft and if the reports about Ayton and Bagley going 1/2 are correct, the Hawks are going to get an absolute steal. The way the NBA offenses are shifting to the perimeter and big men need to be able to defend guards in space, I think Bagley over Doncic is particularly nuts. Based on how bad his man defense was in his year at Duke, Bagley seems to have a really high risk to be Jahlil Okafor 2.0 to me. And Doncic has already been a key contributor at the highest levels of European basketball, having won championships with the Slovenian national team and with Real Madrid.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:41 am I think Luka Doncic is easily the best prospect in this draft and if the reports about Ayton and Bagley going 1/2 are correct, the Hawks are going to get an absolute steal. The way the NBA offenses are shifting to the perimeter and big men need to be able to defend guards in space, I think Bagley over Doncic is particularly nuts. Based on how bad his man defense was in his year at Duke, Bagley seems to have a really high risk to be Jahlil Okafor 2.0 to me. And Doncic has already been a key contributor at the highest levels of European basketball, having won championships with the Slovenian national team and with Real Madrid.
... Hold that thought, potentially.

And the news of yesterday:

Charlotte's GM: Mitch Kupchak. Lolz.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Kawhi: I looked Greg Popovich dead in the windows of his soul and I said.....biiiiiitch

So, where does Kawhi end up? Eventually the Lakers, but for next year though.

It would be nice to see him on the Celtics, but I'm not sure if he'd re-sign.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Trae Young seems like a classic example of people overvaluing a college player based on an extremely generous comp (in his case, to Curry). Young is significantly smaller, and projects as a much worse defender, than Curry. And as good as he was at Oklahoma, I think it’s very unrealistic to expect him to have an offensive impact anywhere close to Curry’s.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

His name was all over ESPN this past season to a Tebowian level, right?

I remember seeing social media getting irate that they were forcefed his existence ever 3 seconds.

So, that combined with your analysis makes me root for failure for whoever drafts him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 am His name was all over ESPN this past season to a Tebowian level, right?

I remember seeing social media getting irate that they were forcefed his existence ever 3 seconds.

So, that combined with your analysis makes me root for failure for whoever drafts him.
I definitely wouldn't characterize it like that and I watch a lot of college basketball. He got a lot of hype earlier in the season in nonconference and early in the Big 12 season when he was dominating fools, but once teams started to adjust and double-team him, his production went down and the hype tapered.

He seems like a really, really nice decent kid and I hope he does well at the pro level.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don’t wish failure on any kid that didn’t go to Duke.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, if it's the Hawks that draft him, it isn't going to make a difference anyway. That team has been an also-ran franchise for decades.

That leads me to this hot take: the NBA needs to contract 10 teams and move an 11th to Seattle. The league only has like 5 teams with a legit chance to win the title every year, so getting rid of 10 seems fine to me.

(And I get the secondary and tertiary effects of this, so I know it couldn't work. But in a vacuum, this would absolutely make sense.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:00 am I don’t wish failure on any kid that didn’t go to Duke.
I never thought I'd say this, but I may be sticking to college next season if we draft Grayson Allen. It already sucks to root for the same team our fuckface senator (the one with the Spanish last name since we have two fuckface senators).
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 pm Well, if it's the Hawks that draft him, it isn't going to make a difference anyway. That team has been an also-ran franchise for decades.

That leads me to this hot take: the NBA needs to contract 10 teams and move an 11th to Seattle. The league only has like 5 teams with a legit chance to win the title every year, so getting rid of 10 seems fine to me.

(And I get the secondary and tertiary effects of this, so I know it couldn't work. But in a vacuum, this would absolutely make sense.)
An alternative approach to increase competitive balance would be to eliminate the cap on individual player salaries, while keeping a team-wide salary cap. Part of why so few teams ever have a shot is that almost every team that’s ever won a title has at least one MVP-caliber player and there just aren’t that many of those guys in the league. If the true mega-stars like LeBron, Durant and Curry could get their true market value, it’d be a lot harder for whatever team signed them to have enough remaining money to surround them with other all-stars.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pro-rel???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

the NBA would probably benefit a lot from the NFL's scheduling philosophy, but more like the really souped up version that existed in the 70's-90's. After reducing to 66 games, needless to say.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:18 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:00 am I don’t wish failure on any kid that didn’t go to Duke.
I never thought I'd say this, but I may be sticking to college next season if we draft Grayson Allen. It already sucks to root for the same team our fuckface senator (the one with the Spanish last name since we have two fuckface senators).
Great. Now I'm picturing Cruz's O-Face when Harden does the lean-in from 35 feet away to get three FTs.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just picture Rafael playing basketball. It's much sweatier.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, that was fast:

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:11 pm Well, that was fast:

It was all a cap move by Brooklyn, anyway. They were going to take on more money this year to have more space in the 2019 free agent market.

Charlotte needed to reduce their cap number this season to be able to use their mid-level and biannual cap exceptions without hitting the luxury tax.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's another step the NBA could make to improve competitive balance, also. Get rid of most of the stupid cap exceptions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:35 pm]It was all a cap move by Brooklyn, anyway. They were going to take on more money this year to have more space in the 2019 free agent market.
Oh, that's right. This season he's "Dwight Howard's expiring contact" and not just a tall dude with locker room issues and a great smile.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 am

Kawhi: I looked Greg Popovich dead in the windows of his soul and I said.....biiiiiitch

So, where does Kawhi end up? Eventually the Lakers, but for next year though.

It would be nice to see him on the Celtics, but I'm not sure if he'd re-sign.
ESPN now reporting that the Spurs told the Lakers to pound sand when they called about a trade. The more I think about it the more it seems that unless the Spurs get a really enticing offer from someone like the Celtics or Suns that can give a superior package of young talent and draft picks, they’ll just keep Kawhi. Since he already missed virtually all of last season would he really sit out 2018-19 too? They can always trade him at the deadline if it comes to that.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 am His name was all over ESPN this past season to a Tebowian level, right?

this makes no sense unless you think Trae Young was telling ESPN to have a constant statline on the screen during his games
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:32 pm

this makes no sense unless you think Trae Young was telling ESPN to have a constant statline on the screen during his games
A Brady fan complaining about Trae Young fatigue is great irony though.