2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

As a side note, five might be the best winning score because it is not a one-possession game, a la "win by three" when a pick-up game has scoring by ones and twos.

You might also have more fouling in the end game stages, just starting earlier. If a team is down eight points with two minutes to go, they might start fouling on every possession to get within four to extend the game. Maybe even down 12 halfway through the fourth, the trailing team's coach sends in a couple guys to use their fouls and hopefully creep back into the game over the next three minutes by trading two/three points for one/zero.

I think Elam (who got interviewed about the rule at halftime of that Boeheim's Army game) didn't expect teams to start fouling when behind.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

All good points, though free throw rules can always be tweaked to lessen the side effects. In the NBA, it might be a good thing if more games are seen as being in play in the last minute. I've long been of the opinion that NBA teams give up on games too quickly, though that's because NBA teams are much more equipped to seal the game with free throws.

I wish G League or Summer League would experiment with stuff like this.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

To eliminate the fouling issue, just go all NHL/BIG3 and make it 3-on-3 half court. That likely takes the shitty FT shooters off the court and the big stars left won't want to foul out. 1TO and 1 team review challenge each (no ref-initiated reviews unless they don't make a call on something like out-of-bounds) until game is decided.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I mean. NBA overtime rules are probably better than all sorts. Why are we fixing that over penalty shootouts?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:02 pm I mean. NBA overtime rules are probably better than all sorts. Why are we fixing that over penalty shootouts?
Right? How many games a year even go to OT? 5-10%
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

NBA overtime is not terrible, but why put 5 minutes back on the clock when the tension is at the highest point?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

LeBron is an awesome dude. This is phenomenal.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fuck you Kobe fans!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Lunnado
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Lunnado »

Rams Fanny wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:22 pm To eliminate the fouling issue, just go all NHL/BIG3 and make it 3-on-3 half court. That likely makes Bluehost even faster and takes the shitty FT shooters off the court and the big stars left won't want to foul out. 1TO and 1 team review challenge each (no ref-initiated reviews unless they don't make a call on something like out-of-bounds) until game is decided.
Is it just me or is anyone else already thinking about the playoffs? lol
Last edited by Lunnado on Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, but LeBron is probably only immeasurably improving the lives of hundreds of kids for the media attention.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 pm
Oh, this is gonna be an epic shitshow...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

LeBron is dumb, and Jim Jordan is "one of the most outstanding people..."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

It’s getting hard to reconcile my respect for LeBron with my 20+ year, Kobe-inspired hatred of the Lakers.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hahaha.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

holy shit the rockets dumped ryan amdersons fuckawful contract on the suns for the slightly less crappy brandon knight deal and whatever a marquise chriss is. im happy hes gone. what a white piece of shit
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

TT2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:43 pm holy shit the rockets dumped ryan amdersons fuckawful contract on the suns for the slightly less crappy brandon knight deal and whatever a marquise chriss is. im happy hes gone. what a white piece of shit
That trade probably makes the Rockets worse in the regular season. Chriss has been one of the worst players to get regular starts in the NBA the last two seasons. But he was super young when he came into the league and might get better in a new system. Also, Anderson was unplayable against Golden State so there’s not really any downside in trading him and seeing what happens.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan Anderson has had a pretty rough go of it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Joe K wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:25 am
TT2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:43 pm holy shit the rockets dumped ryan amdersons fuckawful contract on the suns for the slightly less crappy brandon knight deal and whatever a marquise chriss is. im happy hes gone. what a white piece of shit
That trade probably makes the Rockets worse in the regular season. Chriss has been one of the worst players to get regular starts in the NBA the last two seasons. But he was super young when he came into the league and might get better in a new system. Also, Anderson was unplayable against Golden State so there’s not really any downside in trading him and seeing what happens.
I’m kinda excited to see what Chriss can do with this system/personnel. Knight either comes back to form or is a much more tradeable contract at the deadline for more wing help.

I really wanted Anderson to succeed as a Rocket. After what he went through with his girl taking her own life and how positive he always was, it sucks that it didn’t work out. At least he got paid.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Jimmy Butler demanded a trade and identified the Knicks, Nets and Clippers as his preferred destinations. FWIW, there have been rumors that Butler and Kyrie want to team up in NYC. The Clippers are also an intriguing possibility. Not sure if they have the cap space for 2 max guys but if so, adding Butler would make them a serious contender for Kawhi.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kyrie + Butler + Kristaps, starting after this season, sounds just good enough to never quite make it out of the East, no?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He's gonna be a Rocket somehow (kinda jk just because he's from here). He just conveniently mentioned teams with cap room to sign him to a max deal next offseason rather than name teams where he'd have a lot less leverage.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:02 pm Kyrie + Butler + Kristaps, starting after this season, sounds just good enough to never quite make it out of the East, no?
The East is a total mystery other than Boston and Philly. And I think many people are significantly underestimating the chances that Kyrie leaves Boston next offseason. He’s obviously a different kind of guy and he wouldn’t have demanded a trade out of Cleveland if he were focused solely on having the best chance to win. If the Knicks think there’s any truth at all to the Kyrie/Butler rumors, they should put anyone other than Porzingis on the table to trade for Butler. If you count Harden as a point guard, Butler is arguably the best shooting guard in the NBA.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just read Butler’s “Personal Life” section on wiki. Don’t want him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:37 pm Just read Butler’s “Personal Life” section on wiki. Don’t want him.
Butler seems like a dick, even apart from his friendship with Wahlberg, but it’s hard to argue with his production. As far as two-way SGs go, Butler and Klay Thompson are in a class of their own, and Butler has carried a much heavier playmaking burden for his teams than Klay has. But he’s also 29 and I’d be somewhat worried about giving him a max-deal that extends into his mid-30s.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Joe K wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:53 am
mister d wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:37 pm Just read Butler’s “Personal Life” section on wiki. Don’t want him.
Butler seems like a dick, even apart from his friendship with Wahlberg, but it’s hard to argue with his production. As far as two-way SGs go, Butler and Klay Thompson are in a class of their own, and Butler has carried a much heavier playmaking burden for his teams than Klay has. But he’s also 29 and I’d be somewhat worried about giving him a max-deal that extends into his mid-30s.
And those years playing for Thibs. Those minutes take their toll on the body.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Apparently the Wizards players got all kinds of lots trying to find their practice facility in DC's Ward 8 (and how to get into the facility). Good start to the season..

Thank you The Athletic for this fun article.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That’s a NJ license plate.

Sticker on the window and a Kings’ license plate holder, too.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I live in Northern California and I’ve never heard of anyone referring to Sacramento as Sactown.

I am aware that some urban blacks around here call Oakland “Oaktown”.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:23 pm I live in Northern California and I’ve never heard of anyone referring to Sacramento as Sactown.

I am aware that some urban blacks around here call Oakland “Oaktown”.
Isn't that a Jim Rome thing?

Like, back in the early 90s when he was spreading his brand on AM radio, didn't he do that to city names that he'd do remote events for?

'SacTown'. That's Jim Rome. Gotta be.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

2pac used that word in his lyrics to California Love.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?