2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Post by brian »

Never change, Jazz.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That Sixers trade couldn’t have worked out any more hilariously from a local standpoint.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I feel bad for Bridges and his mom, but that seems like a good trade for Philly. I like Bridges a lot, but to get Smith (who's younger and more athletic) plus a future, unprotected 1st rounder seems like a good deal.

I also really like what Dallas and Denver did tonight and hate what Atlanta and the Clippers did, based on my opinions on Doncic and Porter. I think with the Clippers having picks 12 and 13, they had to use one of those on Porter. Obviously's he's a medical risk but he also had by far the biggest upside of anyone available there. And it's hard to get an All-Star caliber player in that range. For Denver to add a guy that talented to a team that was already just 1 game out of the playoffs was a really good pick.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I only watched until the Celtics drafted. It seemed like every pick according to the announcing crew were exceptional players to the point that there were even steals outside of the lottery.

Either this is the deepest draft in history or they're exaggerating to be nice.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:38 pm I only watched until the Celtics drafted. It seemed like every pick according to the announcing crew were exceptional players to the point that there were even steals outside of the lottery.

Oh, they're definitely exaggerating. If recent history is any indication, odds are that maybe 2 or 3 guys in this entire draft will be an All-Star caliber player at any within the next five years. I looked it up and only five guys drafted from 2013-2017 have made an All-NBA team: Oladipo, Giannis, Gobert, Embiid and Towns. Porzingis is the only other All-Star drafted in that time period (although Simmons and Mitchell played at close to that level last year). Point being that true franchise-changing talents are few and far between and the vast majority of these guys will never be anything more than role players. On a related note, I saw Collin Sexton, Kevin Knox and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (all lottery picks) live in an SEC tournament game a few months ago. They were all good college players, but I'd be surprised if any of those guys is ever anything better than an average starter -- and that certainly won't happen in their rookie years.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:38 pm I only watched until the Celtics drafted. It seemed like every pick according to the announcing crew were exceptional players to the point that there were even steals outside of the lottery.

I watched about an hour of coverage on "The Jump" on ESPN2 last night, starting around pick #20. They were having discussions about players and teams in general as opposed to focusing on solely on draft-specific things with a rotating cast (Zach Lowe, Amin Elhassan, Brian Windhorst, Jackie MacMullan, Fran Fraschilla, among others, including a few active players). Cast members would get swapped out over breaks depending on the topic, like bringing in Fraschilla to talk about foreign draftees and bringing on MacMullan when the Celtics were on the clock.

They ended up having interesting discussions about Marcus Smart's free agency (MacMullan relayed that Smart said after their last game, "I'm worth more than that" referring to the possibility of him getting $12 million a year, Lowe and Windhorst countered that Smart may play on a one-year qualifier, then go into free agency next summer when more teams have cap space because he's more likely to get a deal of $16 million or more annually, and eventually it turned to "how will he be used with Irving and Hayward healthy next season and how will that affect his offers the following summer), Dzanan Musa, the kids the Nets took at #29 (a couple NBA beat guys said he just seemed like a guy the Spurs would draft and stash, but Fraschilla said flatly disagreed, citing the kid has some character issues, specifically a selfish streak), and stuff like that. Way more interesting than just the usual draft puffery.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Watching The Jump would have been far more interesting than Davis, Billups, and Bilas. They were ok, but Zach Lowe alone trumps them to me. (Plus I love Jackie Mac going back to her Globe days.)

The only thing I really, really wanted to see were any awkward situations during the post hat reception interviews with Maria Taylor (I don't know her last name). She did really well. But actually deep analysis from a different crew would've been nice.

Oh, and there was this magnificent moment:

My girlfriend was like..."oh, I saw him on Instagram the other day."

Edit: It's Maria Taylor, not Nicole.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I would've went with 59 since that was the year Richie Valens died, but this works.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

ESPN is the worst. Can the dude who just got drafted have a day for himself?

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

^ Those are insanely good.

e: I gold'ed that guy on reddit. I can't emphasize how great that is. That one post is more dense with good stuff that what people who get paid to do "funny" content for big sports sites come up with in a year.
Last edited by Johnny Carwash on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:57 pm ^ Those are insanely good.
Love them!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

So for all the manufactured “debates,” neither the MVP nor ROY voting was remotely close. James Harden got 86/101 first-place votes for MVP and Ben Simmons got 90/101 first-place votes for ROY. The only contested votes were for Coach and Executive of the Year, where a bunch of different guys got first-place votes and Casey and Morey won with <40% of first-place votes.

It will never stop being crazy that the OKC Thunder broke up a team with three future MVPs, all age 23 or younger, due at least in part to their decision to give Kendrick Perkins $36M in guaranteed money. And Perkins’ then-agent, Bob Myers, is going to win at least four titles as GM of the Warriors at least in part because of that chain of events.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

In some sort of karmic retribution for yanking the Supersonics out of Seattle, good. They deserve it.

And I've never been to Seattle or have any emotional attachment to the city either. I'm just glad they didn't win anything and they're stuck in a position now where they'll probably lose Paul George and be paying Hoodie Melo $28M.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am In some sort of karmic retribution for yanking the Supersonics out of Seattle, good. They deserve it.

And I've never been to Seattle or have any emotional attachment to the city either. I'm just glad they didn't win anything and they're stuck in a position now where they'll probably lose Paul George and be paying Hoodie Melo $28M.
And having to live in Oklahoma City.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

For hilarity sake, I'd love to see LeBron sign with the Warriors after Durant's opt out today.

I'd pull that shit in a video game, no doubt.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

R/NBA is lit right now...

Why does off season stuff get me more amped than most of the games?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:16 am
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Doesn’t Durant hate Stephen A? Why should I believe that Stephen A would get that scoop over someone like Chris Haynes who is actually plugged in with Durant? I swear (at least) half these reports are flat out fabrications.

My current prediction is that the Spurs end up extracting enough from the Lakers to make the Kawhi trade happen (hopefully Kuzma and Ingram like Texas) and then LeBron and George follow him there. There’s way too much smoke that those 3 teaming up has been planned for a while now. And frankly, while I wish it were anyone else but the Lakers (or perhaps Miami), that’s an ideal “Big 3” to take on the Warriors. Probably the 3 best wings besides Durant for a combo of scoring, shooting and defense.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Joe K wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:10 am Doesn’t Durant hate Stephen A? Why should I believe that Stephen A would get that scoop over someone like Chris Haynes who is actually plugged in with Durant? I swear (at least) half these reports are flat out fabrications.

My current prediction is that the Spurs end up extracting enough from the Lakers to make the Kawhi trade happen (hopefully Kuzma and Ingram like Texas) and then LeBron and George follow him there. There’s way too much smoke that those 3 teaming up has been planned for a while now. And frankly, while I wish it were anyone else but the Lakers (or perhaps Miami), that’s an ideal “Big 3” to take on the Warriors. Probably the 3 best wings besides Durant for a combo of scoring, shooting and defense.
Does Carmelo then take a buyout from OKC to go to the Lakers for the minimum?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And Dwight Howard can come too.

What if like 5 players were all "Fuck it. Let's take severe pay cuts and super team this shit up"? Would the league go batshit?
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Yup, looks like Stephen A is full of shit. From a Cavs beat writer:

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:25 pm Yup, looks like Stephen A is full of shit. From a Cavs beat writer:

He had too many details in that. He was throwing a line and hoping it hooked to make home look like he had Uber connections.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

LeBron officially opting out of the next year of his contract. Doesn’t really effect the Cavs or Lakers but makes it almost impossible for the Rockets to get him as they’d probably have needed to do a sign-and-trade. Unless the Lakers can pull off the LBJ/PG/Kawhi trifecta this offseason, the Warriors just sealed their 3-peat IMO.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:55 am LeBron officially opting out of the next year of his contract. Doesn’t really effect the Cavs or Lakers but makes it almost impossible for the Rockets to get him as they’d probably have needed to do a sign-and-trade. Unless the Lakers can pull off the LBJ/PG/Kawhi trifecta this offseason, the Warriors just sealed their 3-peat IMO.
I personally don't think it likely that LeBron goes to Boston, but if he did, or perhaps if the Celtics got Kawhi, I think they would have a very solid chance, maybe even to the point of being the favorite. They have a much easier path to the playoffs in the east, and when one thinks about what they nearly did this year, with their best player out in the playoffs, and another of their three or so best out practically all season...

Then again, maybe I'm just being hopeful. The Warriors are one of two teams in sport I honestly cannot stand (the other being the Red Sox).
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

LeBron isn’t going to Boston. No chance, even before he became a FA, and I think becoming a FA now makes that officially impossible. The whole reason Kyrie forced that trade is that he didn’t want to be the #2 star on his team anymore. The Celtics could top any other teams offer for Kawhi but I don’t think they’ll do that without reassurance he’ll re-sign.

And I’ve said this before but the Celtics will be the team that everyone tricks themselves into thinking can beat the Warriors next year. It’s not happening. I’m very confident of that. They have no prayer of stopping Durant or Curry when those guys are fully engaged.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:24 am LeBron isn’t going to Boston. No chance, even before he became a FA, and I think becoming a FA now makes that officially impossible. The whole reason Kyrie forced that trade is that he didn’t want to be the #2 star on his team anymore. The Celtics could top any other teams offer for Kawhi but I don’t think they’ll do that without reassurance he’ll re-sign.
I agree on LeBron, though I think if you *can* get him, in the interest of the organization, you do that, and pacify Kyrie as best you can. Failing that, they could *possibly* sign LeBron and trade Kyrie for another PG; the Raps would certainly listen on Lowry, for one (possibly sub-optimal) example. It is definitely a very long shot, though.

You might be right on Kawhi, and I know his preference is LA, but if the Celts roll out the red carpet for him, and knowing how good they'll be, and the world-class sports media market that Boston is, I'd think there's at least a chance he signs on long term...
Joe K wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:24 am And I’ve said this before but the Celtics will be the team that everyone tricks themselves into thinking can beat the Warriors next year. It’s not happening. I’m very confident of that. They have no prayer of stopping Durant or Curry when those guys are fully engaged.
Curry is a good shooter. He's not an unstoppable monster. Same goes for Thompson. Green (apart from being a massive, insufferable whiner) is a very good all-around player, but he's not quite elite, to me. Igoudala, who I do really like, is starting to show his age, and as they say, Father Time is undefeated, with just the one draw to Bernard Hopkins. :)

Durant is what puts the Warriors a cut above every other team today, including the Celts as current constituted. He *is*, or can be, an unstoppable monster. But with one more elite piece, like Kawhi, I really could see the Celts matching the Warriors with Durant, and until he signs, there isn't an absolute guarantee that the Warriors even have Durant next year...

I do realize it's still very like that the Warriors are the heavy favorite next year. But I can dream. :)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

There sheer amount of superstars in unrestricted free agency right now is crazy.

And it's all kinda muted because of how the NBA salary cap works.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:46 am And it's all kinda muted because of how the NBA salary cap works.
I always thought that was a bit silly, how it's set up. Perfect competitive balance is NOT good for fan interest in a league, generally. I know that's not what the NBA has now; far from it. But the purpose of the restrictions on capped out teams signing free agents is to push it in that direction, I think.

I know it can lead to some teams having sustained runs of mediocrity (I'm a Jays fan, after all), but to me, the model that baseball currently has, where any team can sign any player so long as they are willing to pay the luxury tax bill, is the best that I've seen thus far.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I doubt there's a single pro athlete who plays in Boston who would agree that Boston is a "world-class sports media market" . Unless if by world-class you mean the best at criticizing every single minuscule flaw and blowing that up to be the biggest story in the world.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:59 am I doubt there's a single pro athlete who plays in Boston who would agree that Boston is a "world-class sports media market" . Unless if by world-class you mean the best at criticizing every single minuscule flaw and blowing that up to be the biggest story in the world.
True, and I certainly have no interest in defending Boston... :)

"World-class" was probably the wrong term. What I really meant was a *major* media market, which seems to be one of the complaints Kawhi's "people" had about SA.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:59 am I doubt there's a single pro athlete who plays in Boston who would agree that Boston is a "world-class sports media market" . Unless if by world-class you mean the best at criticizing every single minuscule flaw and blowing that up to be the biggest story in the world.
Also, for the current generation of basketball players, I doubt the Celtics have any real mystique. I’m a few months older than LeBron and the Celtics were pretty much a non-entity when I grew up watching the sport. The run they had from 2008-2012 was solid, but only resulted in the one title. Compare that to 5 titles each for the Lakers and Spurs and 3 each for the Heat and Warriors since 1999.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Day after Celtics trade Leonard, sometime in 2021: “The day after the Celtics were eliminated I ran into Kawhi in a bathroom at Logan after he’d taken a huge shit and he was smiling a lot and he walked out without washing his hands and my 5 year old grandson softly asked ‘why didn’t my hero wash his hands’ and Kawhi heard him and came back in and said ‘fuck you, little man, Kawhi only washes his hands when Kawhi wants to and also Larry Bird was gay’ and then he put his headphones on (rap) and left” by Bob Ryan.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

No way Lebron goes to Boston. They have an established coach and an established GM and it's difficult to see them letting Lebron bully them into either a style of play or contracts for people he wants to play with.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Rams Fanny wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:34 am No way Lebron goes to Boston. They have an established coach and an established GM and it's difficult to see them letting Lebron bully them into either a style of play or contracts for people he wants to play with.
While I agree he’s not going there (the opt-out means it’s Cavs, Lakers or Sixers), LeBron can bully whoever he wants. The guy’s been to 8 straight Finals! He’s beaten the Celtics in the playoffs five times since 2011! If he actually wanted to go there, Ainge and Stevens would jump at the chance.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The players are the brands and the teams are the contestants. So "mystique" due to location is reserved for championship potential and getting paid.

The script flipped when LeBron went to Miami. How many GMs lined up cap space for that free agency period? Like 6? But it appears they may not have learned from that.

The NBA is funny. You literally either build a team for a championship run or bottom out and compete for top draft picks/free agents when the market is good.

Like 5 teams in any given year have the ability to go all the way, so all of this in between minutia is noise.