2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: 2018 NBA Offseason Thread

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 pmHe's wealthy.
False.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:15 pm
Rex wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 pmHe's wealthy.
False.
If he's saved any of his salary, he is wealthy by any definition other than "relative to NBA stars".
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He’s rich. I have a pretty hard line between rich and wealthy. He’s making a million more than fucking lance stevenson. It’s ridiculous.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think of being rich or wealthy as a balance sheet measure, not of income statement.

When Rex referred to him as wealthy, I took that as a measure of the money he already has. If you already have more money than you'll likely ever spend, you can take a slightly less enormous salary in order to play for the Golden State Globetrotters.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:07 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:05 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 pm And the union should have real issues.
He can tell the union to go to hell. The union can't tell a free agent where to sign.
Sure but the unions have traditionally had issues with players taking huge haircuts is my point. Because now a player coming off injury has to deal with teams saying “ well boogie took less”
I agree with AB on this. Also, while the league usually likes having marquee teams, at some point what the Warriors are doing has to be bad for the league (if it isn’t already). Adam Silver really wants to stop tanking, but doesn’t having a league where one team could probably win 75 games if it cared to, and *maybe* 2-3 teams have any chance whatsoever at winning the title (and that’s being generous) create a huge incentive for widespread tanking?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

eh. We can’t comprehend this money. I just think on relative terms he is making a bad decision on par with one of us taking a big pay cut but it’s oknbecause we had a decent 401k balance at 27.

(That was in response to sck)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:30 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:05 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 pm And the union should have real issues.
He can tell the union to go to hell. The union can't tell a free agent where to sign.
Sure but the unions have traditionally had issues with players taking huge haircuts is my point. Because now a player coming off injury has to deal with teams saying “ well boogie took less”
I agree with AB on this. Also, while the league usually likes having marquee teams, at some point what the Warriors are doing has to be bad for the league (if it isn’t already). Adam Silver really wants to stop tanking, but doesn’t having a league where one team could probably win 75 games if it cared to, and *maybe* 2-3 teams have any chance whatsoever at winning the title (and that’s being generous) create a huge incentive for widespread tanking?
Still, it matters not. The union and the commissioner will wring their hands and shake their heads and scold people. Changes nothing.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

With the Trump tax cuts, he's in a really good place right now. I doubt he will play much, this is like a year of fantasy camp for him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:35 pm With the Trump tax cuts, he's in a really good place right now. I doubt he will play much, this is like a year of fantasy camp for him.

Fair. I’m on team Rex now.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yep. No doubt.

And to say it all a bit differently, with NBA salaries so enormous nowadays for the stars, taking less salary is still taking an awful lot. So, it isn't surprising that other desires begin to trump (sic) taking the absolute highest dollar. Such as, getting to be on the team you you really want to be a part of.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The team he told to fuck off a year ago?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

All is forgiven and forgotten, I assume.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Chris Rock put it best.

"Shaq is rich. The white man that signs his check is wealthy."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:56 pm Chris Rock put it best.

Everything is relative, I guess. If you want to distinguish between the top half a percent of Americans and the top quarter of a percent of Americans.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:02 pm
Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:56 pm Chris Rock put it best.

Everything is relative, I guess. If you want to distinguish between the top half a percent of Americans and the top quarter of a percent of Americans.
Yeah, I'm quite certain Shaq classes as "wealthy" by any reasonable definition. :)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Well, he said that in 2004. I'm sure Shaq is much wealthier now.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Rex wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:05 pm He's made $60 million in his career, so how much of a risk is it really? Why do I always find myself defending the Kentucky guys against people like AB and JoeK?
I love boogie. I think he got some bad advice in this instance.

And sixty is not much for all stars these days man.

This could be your bad advice. I’m sure whatever Portland had in mind for a sign-and-trade would’ve been a lot more money than $5.3 million. I assume this kind of stuff happens all the time but if his agent steered him away from Portland because he was concerned about Nurkic’s next contract or playing time that seems like a pretty big conflict of interest.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I read Zach Lowe's take. If the market was truly dried up like he insinuates, then I guess chasing a ring and trying to prove yourself isn't the worst tack. Looks like the best he was getting was in the 8+ range, so this isn't terrible.

"Even had the full midlevel been on the table, Cousins in signing with the Warriors cost himself at most $3.3 million this season -- and bought the right to try free agency again next summer in a better marketplace. If he wins a ring in the process, well, he never has to hear about that again. He was distraught last season upon missing his first chance at playoff action. Winning would ease some stress."

ANd what Joe K just posted sucks for boogie, too.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I understand the Pelicans deciding to move on once Julius Randle became available. But what on earth are the Lakers doing? I didn’t think they should have given Boogie a big multiyear deal. But he was willing to accept a 1-year contract and they instead used their cap space on KCP, Rondo and Lance Stephenson? The only rationale I can think of is that LeBron has total control over personnel decisions and is using the old Doc Rivers strategy of “sign free agents who played well against me at some point in a playoff series.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Easy counter here is asking whether LeBron has ever built a team he can't win with, right?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:38 am Easy counter here is asking whether LeBron has ever built a team he can't win with, right?
And the counter to that is that he’s in the Western Conference now so the goal now should probably be something more than a team that can *almost* avoid getting swept by the Warriors.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Are all the guys signing right now one year deals where its possible 2018-19 isn't the Lakers go-for-it?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 am Are all the guys signing right now one year deals where its possible 2018-19 isn't the Lakers go-for-it?
It's looking that way to me, but I can't see Lebron throwing away a year either.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I got push notifications that said Boogie was down to Golden State and Boston. So he went with the more likely NBA champion next year.

Also, Enes Kanter is gonna get fined:

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:21 am Are all the guys signing right now one year deals where its possible 2018-19 isn't the Lakers go-for-it?
Totally. I'm thinking there is a significant possibility LeBron plays closer to 2,000 minutes (roughly 32 minutes X 60 games) than 3,000 minutes (roughly 38 minutes X 80 games) to save some wear and tear for future seasons. With the roster the Lakers have constructed, next year seems to be more of an experiment in figuring out which players among Ingram, Ball, Kuzma, and Hart have a longterm fit with LeBron than trying to make the playoffs. Signing the head cases like Stephenson and McGee is a "so what" move. They're in town one year and their real purpose is eating up cap space for one year so it's there next summer.

With Kawhi Leonard sticking to his desire of playing for the Lakers, keeping cap space to bring him in next season by signing a bunch of guys you almost certainly don't want back to one-year deals seems like a legitimate plan. Why give up high-end assets (like Ingram) to bring in a guy who you can get without giving up those assets next season? And, should they miss the playoffs, they're in the draft lottery (cue the conspiracy theorists).

Laker fans are going to pour money into the team this season because everyone is going to be buying LeBron jerseys and driving up ticket prices. It's just money to go into the coffers for future luxury tax bills.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I have a hard time seeing LeBron tanking unless he's really tanking--in other words, opts for surgery on some unspecified ailment and sits out most of the season. I don't think he will stand to be actually playing on a team that misses the playoffs.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Rex wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:41 am I have a hard time seeing LeBron tanking unless he's really tanking--in other words, opts for surgery on some unspecified ailment and sits out most of the season. I don't think he will stand to be actually playing on a team that misses the playoffs.
Did you listen to the Bill Simmons podcast yesterday? That's what 'Conspiracy Bill' stated, but it was couched with a 'the Lakers have their own draft pick next year' talk as well.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I get the strategy of giving guys one year deals to keep cap space for 2019. But I really don’t understand giving those one year deals to guys like Lance and Rondo instead of an All-NBA center. The upside to Boogie is so much higher. That’s why I was stunned that the Warriors got him for only $5.3M. They obviously don’t need him, as Jordan Bell looked more than competent last year. But if Boogie is anywhere near his best, they’ll have a juggernaut the likes of which has never been seen in American sports. Oh and while everyone is assuming he’ll miss a bunch of time, Boogie still thinks he can be ready for training camp. As optimistic as that sounds, that’s about how long it took Rudy Gay to recover from his Achilles injury last year and Gay is several years older than Cousins.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A. The Lakers don't care how good the Warriors get this year. That's irrelevant.
B. Who's more tradeable during this season in the event they decide to move pieces around early, any of the 3 guys they signed or a probably-more-expensive locker room problem with a major injury?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I just don't get the fit of Rondo with Lebron. Now both PGs are incredible passers but can't shoot.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

That's easy - LeBron looked up JR Smith in the antonym dictionary
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

The Lakers recent signings finally make sense to me. If Grayson Allen manages to get playing time as a rookie, having Rondo and Lance Stephenson on the same Western Conference team is a pretty good recipe for having someone actually get into a fistfight with him.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Melo is totally ending up on the Lakers this offseason, right? I don’t know the mechanics of stretching guys’ contracts and how it would work logistically but it just seems like destiny for LeBron and Melo to team up together to get swept by Golden State.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just saw that Luke Walton, Lebron's new coach, was drafted the same year as Lebron.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:34 am Just saw that Luke Walton, Lebron's new coach, was drafted the same year as Lebron.
I really want LeBron to force Luke out in favor of Mark Jackson so that their playoff flameout will be even funnier.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:19 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:34 am Just saw that Luke Walton, Lebron's new coach, was drafted the same year as Lebron.
I really want LeBron to force Luke out in favor of Mark Jackson so that their playoff flameout will be even funnier.
I know you're kidding, but then there would be the added benefit of no Mark Jackson on TV.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

From Reddit:

RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:10 am

From Reddit:

Though the situation with SA last season does worry me a bit, I'm extremely excited by this. DeMar seems like a fine player and a wonderful man, but I honestly think that the Raps had gone as far as they could with him as their best scorer, and if one of the two had to be sacrificed, I frankly would rather keep Lowry.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

How excited would you be if I told you Kawhi really really really doesn't want to be there?