Sports (or other) legends you don't believe/sports conspiracy theories

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Sports (or other) legends you don't believe/sports conspiracy theories

Post by Giff »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:56 am The Jeff Alm one is a good one. I'll leave that one for Giff to post as I don't remember it well enough.
Guy was sucking Jeff Alm off while Alm was driving. Alm crashes and friend, who just happens to have Alm's severed cock in his mouth, dies. Alm realizing he killed his friend and is dickless, shoots himself.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I absolutely believe NBA refs did the league's bidding under Stern. Like, I don't even really consider that a conspiracy theory (in my mind.)

=-=-=

I'll take the Bobby Riggs - BJK tennis Battle of the Sexes sham. Riggs kicked the snot out of the best female player in the world months before and he was a big time gambler. He threw that match and it was pretty obvious.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 am
Gunpowder wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:56 am The Jeff Alm one is a good one. I'll leave that one for Giff to post as I don't remember it well enough.
Guy was sucking Jeff Alm off while Alm was driving. Alm crashes and friend, who just happens to have Alm's severed cock in his mouth, dies. Alm realizing he killed his friend and is dickless, shoots himself.
Jesus! I never heard any of this.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh, the other one that falls into "so obviously true it's not really a conspiracy" is the US losing to the Soviets at the 72 Olympics in basketball.

Two inbound passes are deflected with 1 second remaining on clock, "official" comes down and waves a wand and puts 3 seconds on the clock.

The fuck?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am Oh, the other one that falls into "so obviously true it's not really a conspiracy" is the US losing to the Soviets at the 72 Olympics in basketball.

Two inbound passes are deflected with 1 second remaining on clock, "official" comes down and waves a wand and puts 3 seconds on the clock.

The fuck?
I watched that live on tv. The TV announcers were incredulous, the US team and coaches were furious, and you might never have seen a kid so pissed off as I was at that moment.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:53 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:44 am Oh, the other one that falls into "so obviously true it's not really a conspiracy" is the US losing to the Soviets at the 72 Olympics in basketball.

The fuck?
I watched that live on tv. The TV announcers were incredulous, the US team and coaches were furious, and you might never have seen a kid so pissed off as I was at that moment.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The fuck?
I was too young (2), but seeing the story retold... That shit was crazy.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:07 am I absolutely believe NBA refs did the league's bidding under Stern. Like, I don't even really consider that a conspiracy theory (in my mind.)
Absolutely; everyone did Stern's bidding. He was the closest to an absolute dictator that I can recall in a professional sports league. It certainly didn't work out too badly for the league, though. I attribute most of the NBA's growth in recent years to Stern's tenure, and the legacy of that tenure. Silver strikes me as being somewhat over his head, though I must say I've nothing to justify that...
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The fuck?
The U.S. team's uncollected silver medals from that game would be a great sports artifact.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am

The fuck?
I was too young (2), but seeing the story retold... That shit was crazy.
Saw it live. But my memories are based more on seeing it replayed about a decade later.

That is the ultimate fix. I can;t think of anything else that even comes close. And it really should have been the death of the Olympics. Combine that fix with the murder of athletes, and it is amazing that the IOC survived.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."