Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: 2018-2019 EPL Season

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:32 am
ETA - Also, fuck Chelsea
To hell and back.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

They can have Frank Lampard back
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:32 am Didn't read the article, but don't they have eleventy billion players on loan that they can call back, and be just fine?
So another reason to start building clubs with teams in many leagues....The Red Bull and Man City (who just picked up a team in China) model...not just for getting poor playing/p.i.t.a. Mix D off your salary cap.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Fulham says good by to Ranieri
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

It terrifies me facing Tottenham on a 2 game skid. But on the plus side, Arsenal pul within 1 point of Spurs with a win!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:20 pm It terrifies me facing Tottenham on a 2 game skid. But on the plus side, Arsenal pul within 1 point of Spurs with a win!
Yesterday's game was a very unpleasant flashback for Spurs fans.

Two or three years ago I'd say that Arsenal would run through them at Wembley, but I think you're right. Spurs are going to be an angry, angry team.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:37 pm Fulham says good by to Ranieri
didn't fulHAM do something similar in 12-13 or 13-14 hiring 2 separate managers during the season?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

2013-14, Martin Jol, Rene Meulensteen and the unforgettable Felix Magath.

Charlton, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Swansea have done the same, only the Swans survived.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -dont.html
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ouch!

A sure recipe for financial ruin down the road.
In the summer, Fulham became the first promoted club to spend more than £100million in the transfer market, a wonderfully ambitious yet hugely problematic investment because it involved bedding in a new team in highly competitive surroundings.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Did you catch the Newcastle highlight? I know they were playing the bottom of the league, but Almiron looked very good.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The North London Derby was a nasty, draining match. Old time soccer!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:44 pm The North London Derby was a nasty, draining match. Old time soccer!
With a great result!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So many nice goals in the Man U natch.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I’m just glad it’s not Liverpool. But be prepared for City to get hammered within the next 6 months for serious FFP violations. I wouldn’t be surprised if they get a longer transfer ban than Chelsea.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:44 pm The North London Derby was a nasty, draining match. Old time soccer!
If you told me before the game, it'd be a draw, I would have been happy, but man that was gutting and felt like a horrible loss. It felt like Arsenal was in control, and I really felt like they would finally keep Harry Kane off the score sheet. Probably made worse that I had to pause the game at the 60 minute mark for 5 hours, and had that feeling all day. The penalty for Arsenal was a really weak call. I don't think Aubameyang was even looking for a whistle. His penalty was utter crap, but on the rebound and centering pass from Iwobi, I thought they were scoring. I was furious that they gave Kane the penalty, because he was clearly offside, but I guess that balances out the goal they took away from Kane when he wasn't off.

The catastrophizing part of my Arsenal fandom is really worried about Lacazette missing two golden opportunities, followed by Aubameyang's miss. I hope they can both put it behind them and get back on track.

Ramsey's performance was another reminder of what a shame it is that he isn't getting much playing time, and they are willing to let him go in the summer. I'm a bit emotional watching his Arsenal thread play out after seeing him join at 16 and almost immediately crack the first team, thinking he and Wilshire would be a word beating duo in the near future for 8 years... Ramsey was always on the verge of reaching top level success, but kept falling short. The horrific leg injury when he was 19 or 20, man that was gruesome, and I'm still shocked he was able to make the recovery he has. I still think he never fully regained his speed and quickness, but he made up for it in grit and intelligence. Then in 2013, he was on an absolute goal scoring tear and an absolute beast until he had a muscle injury knocking him out for 3 months, and he never hit that kind of form again. But most of all, he has always been my daughters favorite player and biggest crush. I warned her he might be leaving, but I don't think she knows its definite. She is going to be crushed. At least now she sees he isn't playing much, so that will actually help. She also asked to replace her old Arsenal team poster as only 5 of 15-ish players remain, and Cech and Ramsey are leaving. At least she asked for a Pulisic and Mallory Pugh poster to replace it.
-Pruitt
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:37 pm Fulham says good by to Ranieri
Didn't take long to pick up a new gig at Roma
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Lee Dixon is hilariously pro-Arsenal in the booth today.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

"Has he lost his watch?"

- Lee Dixon after Fred rolled around on the ground after a high boot from Xhaka (which likely was a bit of an overreaction).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Spurs loss yesterday damn near killed me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:25 pm Lee Dixon is hilariously pro-Arsenal in the booth today.
Lee Dixon is always hilariously pro-Arsenal. And pro-defender. Nothing is ever a foul, unless an Arsenal player goes down. At least he says it with full self-awareness and sarcasm. He had a great shot at Arlo White that game, but I can't quite remember it. Arlo was referencing the 17 yo who came on for ManU, and mentioned that at 17, his only job was delivering newspapers, and Dixon said something about hoping Arlo was better at that job than his current job. My daughter was horrified by how mean it was, and that I laughed at it.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man, it was a great weekend of soccer for Chelsea. I hate that they'll probably ruin it by playing a game tomorrow.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That Spurs game was just so irritating.

After Ericksen scored the late winner, the announcer used the word "heartbreak" to describe what Brighton was feeling. But you've all seen games like that when there are ten or eleven guys defending in the final third. It makes for gruesome soccer and while I am obviously relieved that Spurs won, I say that Brighton can fuck off back to the Championship.

Were they planning to play four 0-0 in their last 4 games to stay up? I love the Brighton story of climbing up to the Premiership, but if that's what they planned to do, let them enjoy trips to Preston and Wigan next season.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:47 pm That Spurs game was just so irritating.

After Ericksen scored the late winner, the announcer used the word "heartbreak" to describe what Brighton was feeling. But you've all seen games like that when there are ten or eleven guys defending in the final third. It makes for gruesome soccer and while I am obviously relieved that Spurs won, I say that Brighton can fuck off back to the Championship.

Were they planning to play four 0-0 in their last 4 games to stay up? I love the Brighton story of climbing up to the Premiership, but if that's what they planned to do, let them enjoy trips to Preston and Wigan next season.
It broke my heart. Checked the score at 81st minute, and decided to watch the end. It had the feel of a draw.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:56 am
Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:47 pm That Spurs game was just so irritating.

It broke my heart. Checked the score at 81st minute, and decided to watch the end. It had the feel of a draw.
It was surprising how badly Spurs attacked the penalty area. So many wide crosses and short passes to players with their backs to the goal. Dunk and Duffy and Bernardo played really well, but Dele Alli of two seasons ago would have run right at them and made things happen. And for some reason, Son was out wide most of the game. Really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I know that teams like Brighton have to play defensively, but they weren't even setting up for counter attacks.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sooo ... pretty massive match today, huh?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:01 pm Sooo ... pretty massive match today, huh?
It really is and I don't even want to watch.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'll have it on, but I'm not hopeful. Also, any Man U "fans" hoping for a loss to undermine Liverpool's chances are fucking idiots.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:23 pm I'll have it on, but I'm not hopeful. Also, any Man U "fans" hoping for a loss to undermine Liverpool's chances are fucking idiots.
Agreed.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:23 pm I'll have it on, but I'm not hopeful. Also, any Man U "fans" hoping for a loss to undermine Liverpool's chances are fucking idiots.
Are they insane? Man U are fighting for a champions League place.

You're right to put "fans" in quotation marks.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:06 pm

I think I'd call it "not mathematically eliminated"
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kompany looks great early on.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Arsenal in mid-collapse - the United/Chelsea game will be huge.

ETA: As the announcer just said, Arsenal are "shambolic." 3-0 Wolves at the half!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:26 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Arsenal in mid-collapse - the United/Chelsea game will be huge.

ETA: As the announcer just said, Arsenal are "shambolic." 3-0 Wolves at the half!
Well, now I'm thrilled this game wasn't on TV.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Neves is really, really good huh?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

What has happened to De Gea? Going from 'best keeper in the world' to his current form is staggering. He looks completely lost out there.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

He's had a rough month or so. I'm not sweating it, the defense in front of him is trash. There's hope there with Lindelof, but he needs a Puyol to his Pique. That is decidedly NOT Phil Jones or Chris Smalling. I was hoping it would be Bailly, but I'm not sure he has it. I was also hoping to get De Ligt, but he looks bound for Barcelona. Which maybe means the blaugrana would offload Umtiti. I'm a little wary of him, given his injury history, but the cules in Catalonia have turned on him a bit given his decision to treat his injury in a fashion that suited France ahead of Barcelona. Man U also really need a right back. AY is trash, Tony V is injured, old, and trash. There's rumblings that Meunier might be available from PSG, who can't seem to quit Dani Alves.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If ManU is not in the CL do they lose some of there stronger players for other teams? Seeing the rumor pick up on exits more than inbound interests.