Culinary Hot Takes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Culinary Hot Takes

Post by HaulCitgo »

I've made really good steak like that except I always seared it first then stuck it in the oven. Seem to remember a higher temp too but maybe only hit the oven for 5 minutes or so. All else equal I'll take a grill but theres a lot more room for error indoors.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Better be 'Berta beef

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Funny. Twenty years ago, my wife and I vacationed in Alberta, and went out to dinner in Calgary with my cousin and her boyfriend. We were trying to decide what to order at the restaurant, and my cousin said, "I think I want a steak. I could go for some good Alberta beef!" Seemed funny at the time, although she wasn't joking. So, ever since then, occasionally when we consider having steak, my wife or I will say, "I could go for some of that good Alberta beef!"
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My girlfriend's middle name is Alberta. It was supposed to be her first name until Aunt Alberta vetoed it. (Her name was decided as Maria.)

She acquired the nickname Mo from her sister during childhood. Combining names, I call her Moberta. Sometimes just 'Berta.

This is hysterical in its own way to me.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

ikeep trying to make a steak in my cast iron skillet on the stove but all i do is smoke the whole house up and char the shit outta the outside. i marinade them in a blend of seaosnings and soy hot sauce and worchestshire sauce and put them in a hot pan...what am i fucking up?
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'd go Mo'Berta.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 am ikeep trying to make a steak in my cast iron skillet on the stove but all i do is smoke the whole house up and char the shit outta the outside. i marinade them in a blend of seaosnings and soy hot sauce and worchestshire sauce and put them in a hot pan...what am i fucking up?
The thing I've learned about cast iron skillets is that they have to be broken in properly.

Once I figured I'd use one in the same way I'd use a Teflon pan. Add oil, get it hot to the point it's smoking..etc. And all it did was what you said.

I *think* there steel has a porous nature to it so food sticks to it more. Something like that.

It's good to have one, but I barely use it.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:30 am ikeep trying to make a steak in my cast iron skillet on the stove but all i do is smoke the whole house up and char the shit outta the outside. i marinade them in a blend of seaosnings and soy hot sauce and worchestshire sauce and put them in a hot pan...what am i fucking up?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chatel ... n-pan/amp/
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

I'm going to guess those sauces don't hold up under high heat. Try just dry seasoning and add other stuff after cooked.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rams Fanny wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:16 pm
I'm going to guess those sauces don't hold up under high heat. Try just dry seasoning and add other stuff after cooked.
That’s part of it. If you’re doing a good cut in the cast iron: salt, pepper, canola oil. Rip hot and 500 on the oven, 75 seconds per side, in the oven for 2.5 min, flip and go 2.5 more, rest 5-10 min.

If you’re insistent on marinade, do it and then pat it off with a paper towel. It’s the sugar in the marinade that’s burning.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Less stove more oven
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:30 pm Less stove more oven
I don’t know how you get a seat with less than 2 minutes on the stovetop but you do you.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

i dont know enough about my cookwarw to know what i can put in the oven...i put a pan in there once and it lit itself on fire so im hesitant
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

To TT. Your method sounds about like mine just more detailed.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

TT2.0 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:09 pm i dont know enough about my cookwarw to know what i can put in the oven...i put a pan in there once and it lit itself on fire so im hesitant
You said it’s cast iron. You can throw it in mount doom.

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

BSF21 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:48 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:09 pm i dont know enough about my cookwarw to know what i can put in the oven...i put a pan in there once and it lit itself on fire so im hesitant
You said it’s cast iron. You can throw it in mount doom.
this is just stuff i dont know. i have a few dishes i cook but other than that im very kotchen ignorant but im trying to learn.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Corn in chili is bullshit.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have no hard and fast chili rules but I agree. Texturally stupid, aesthetically stupid, everything.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Isn't chili one of the dishes made at the last minute by throwing a bunch of things together in a pot? And since chili supposedly originated in the Mexico-Texas border, wouldn't corn be an acceptable ingredient?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Grapefruits too.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Had a chicken banh mi yesterday that completely reset the bar for banh mi and perhaps french sandwich bread as well. Just a stunner.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not sure I've ever had a bad banh mi, but I'm quite intrigued about this one.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bad bread can fuck an otherwise good one up, but this one was just perfect across the board. Every component was top notch.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

#17 on this list, but set apart from the main shop as a banh mi only stand a couple doors down.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:38 pm #17 on this list, but set apart from the main shop as a banh mi only stand a couple doors down.
#9 on that list is the best chicken parm sandwich I've ever had and it's not even close. Probably the best sandwich I've ever had period.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Before or after Blind Tiger?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:58 pm Before or after Blind Tiger?
Never been there.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Every one of the sandwiches in those photos at that Eater link look amazing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"A sandwich" always seems like too unadventurous of a call when we actually get out in the city without kids but it really shouldn't.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 pm "A sandwich" always seems like too unadventurous of a call when we actually get out in the city without kids but it really shouldn't.
Some of the greatest meals are sandwiches.

ETA: Bahn Mi can be amazing, but most are meh.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I will put the Bah Mi from one of the shops in the Eden Center or the Bah Mi DC a few minutes down the road from there against ANY Bah Mi in the world. The Eden Center is Vietnamese strip shopping center with a Vietnamese super market. Also
On August 11, 2011, law enforcement consisting of federal, Virginia State and local police jointly raided several businesses in Eden Center, seizing more than $1 million in cash from one business, and small amounts from other businesses. Also seized were several gambling machines and arrested 19 people on suspicion of gambling and alcohol crimes.[6] Police blamed the Dragon Family gang, a Vietnamese-American criminal gang that operates in Asian-American hubs across North America. No felony charges were ever filed, and ultimately, though some defendants pleaded guilty, many had their cases dismissed prior to trial and tensions were ignited between the Eden Center businesses and the City of Falls Church government. At least one defendant went to trial and was found not guilty of the charges.[7] Those tensions continued when a second raid was conducted only 5 months later, and suspects were arrested on a variety of gambling and money laundering charges, with many in the community alleging racism and poor investigation on the part of the police.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Center
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:21 pm "A sandwich" always seems like too unadventurous of a call when we actually get out in the city without kids but it really shouldn't.
The chick fil a ripoff from fuku may be my favorite NYC sandwich.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Still haven't had that. Delaney's was great but I don't think they've relocated yet.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

New dills > old dills.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Lobster rolls rarely live up to the anticipation and excitement I have when ordering them.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:03 am Lobster rolls rarely live up to the anticipation and excitement I have when ordering them.
The only one that really ever has for me is the one I got in the Venetian food court a few years ago.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:03 am Lobster rolls rarely live up to the anticipation and excitement I have when ordering them.
Yuuuppppp. Took my gf back to Boston last August and she was really, really wanting to try a lobster roll. (See follows food Instagram pages and saw one one day.) So we got one and she was like "That's it?" I said "No, you're also out 18 bucks."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Giff wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:18 am
The only one that really ever has for me is the one I got in the Venetian food court a few years ago.
I've had it at the exact same place a year ago (same trip where I had beers with Brian and RamsFanny), and I can concur wholeheartedly that location is fantastic.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Mike's Hot Honey....not nearly enough heat