NCAA Football Meltdown Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: NCAA Football Meltdown Thread

Post by bfj »

TT2.0 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:41 am so when i first joined this board in 2003 (15 years a swamp!) i used to take outlandish extreme positions to stir things up...is HaulCitgo's posts the same level of insane as my stuff? If i ever sounded that ignorantly monsterously retarded, im sorry guys
After Sandy Hook, you were 10x the douche. We still love you.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

bfj wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:38 am
TT2.0 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:41 am so when i first joined this board in 2003 (15 years a swamp!) i used to take outlandish extreme positions to stir things up...is HaulCitgo's posts the same level of insane as my stuff? If i ever sounded that ignorantly monsterously retarded, im sorry guys
After Sandy Hook, you were 10x the douche. We still love you.
probably fair. i am a massive douche at times but i feel like ive mellowed in 15 years here
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

http://amp.wsbtv.com/news/local/local-h ... sion=true]

HS kids did what MD kids wouldn't. And this is a serious program in a state with very serious HS programs.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Wouldn’t? Or couldn’t?

Would the Maryland players have lost scholarships if they had protested?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The investigation into Urban Meyer wrapped up yesterday. The school is saying the findings will be released this week, and as required by law, they have to give 24 hours notice before doing so.

Rumors are flying that Meyer has been let go, but the sourcing is pretty sketchy at this point.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:34 am The investigation into Urban Meyer wrapped up yesterday. The school is saying the findings will be released this week, and as required by law, they have to give 24 hours notice before doing so.

Rumors are flying that Meyer has been let go, but the sourcing is pretty sketchy at this point.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

They'll probably suspend him for the first series of the season opener against Oregon State.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

"Too big to fire!"
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Their fifth game is Penn State, so I'll bet just about any amount of money the suspension is exactly four games.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm Their fifth game is Penn State, so I'll bet just about any amount of money the suspension is exactly four games.
I'd be stunned if it is that long. TCU in the third week is a top 20 team and he's already been away from the team for a while (time served?).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 am
brian wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm Their fifth game is Penn State, so I'll bet just about any amount of money the suspension is exactly four games.
I'd be stunned if it is that long. TCU in the third week is a top 20 team and he's already been away from the team for a while (time served?).
Time served is exactly what is being floated, but I would actually be pretty surprised if he doesn't get 3 or 4 games. This whole thing is a very bad look and this not the same President that presided over the Tressel debacle.

And from a highly jaded/cynical standpoint, OSU can handle losing to TCU and still make the playoffs. It drastically reduces their margin of error, but assuming the B1G East holds up its end of the bargain, specifically MI, a loss in September isn't the end of the world.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'd kill to personally know one OSU superfan who was all over Paterno right about now.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:10 am I'd kill to personally know one OSU superfan who was all over Paterno right about now.
I am guessing that is the majority of superfans. The hypocrisy is stunning. Hell, I was hounded by some Maryland superfans on twitter for mentioning that of course Durkin had to be fired who immediately started attacking the reporter. I responded back that I was a tOSU fan and that Meyer should of course be gone as well, which actually shut the guy up. Super fans in general, so bad.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Talking to a buddy that is an OSU guy on Saturday and his big thing was basically "he didn't know" and then when pressed, basically "is he supposed to police all of these guys' personal lives."

I didn't really engage much, because I'm tired of trying to "educate" or inform people anymore. Wallow in your ignorance, I'm not gonna get heated about a topic you don't know enough about to be having this debate.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Every single other fanbase who's had their programs involved in embarrassing shit like this never ever go out of their way to defend their school.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'd give him a slight benefit of the doubt that Meyer knew about the Smith DUI that came out after Meyer was put on leave - because Smith would obviously had every reason to keep that from Meyer given the rest - but the real problem is Smith should have already been off the staff by then.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:04 am Every single other fanbase who's had their programs involved in embarrassing shit like this never ever go out of their way to defend their school.
I didn't defend anyone involved during the La Salle basketball rape scandal.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Central had five players literally kill a guy outside a bar. (And I thought even at the time that Brian Kelly should have been fired over his response to that, which I won't get too deep in the weeds on.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:16 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:04 am Every single other fanbase who's had their programs involved in embarrassing shit like this never ever go out of their way to defend their school.
I didn't say every single person in a particular fan base would defend anyone. But it's not strange when these stories to come out that diehards might give more of the benefit of the doubt at first.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:27 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:16 pm
I didn't say every single person in a particular fan base would defend anyone. But it's not strange when these stories to come out that diehards might give more of the benefit of the doubt at first.
Yeah, I knew what you were trying to say. And it's worse/magnified at a school like PSU or OSU simply because there are so many fans that the loudest/worst of them are going to make themselves heard over the rabble.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I used to believe that, but I know enough Penn State-rs to now believe its a mass opinion versus the loudest 5% making everyone look bad.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think it's a little of both. Certainly when you're dealing with a team like Penn State or Ohio State (or Florida State or Alabama) whose fans are legendarily bad that worst 5 percent is exacerbated.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I imagine the worst 5% of Penn State supporters think the kids should be imprisoned for tarnishing Paterno's legacy. It goes from there.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:11 pm I imagine the worst 5% of Penn State supporters think the kids should be imprisoned for tarnishing Paterno's legacy. It goes from there.
From way over here in the cheap seats, that estimate seems very low. In my mind, anyone who got pissed off that his statue came down probably harbours those feelings.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It'd be pretty funny if the NCAA's hardship rules, meant to let a player transfer a BIT more easily, end up fucking over aTm.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Close. They thought it would better to have an extra week with staff and team to prepare for PSU.

What a fucking shame.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

God. This sport, man.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That was a complete shit-show, even by shit-show standards. Just, wow.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Well, I have a message for everyone involved in this: I'm sorry that we're in this situation, and, I'm just sorry we're in this situation."
What an asshole.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He said it twice because he forgot he said it the first time.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

In fairness, it's really just that Zach Smith married the wrong woman.

Things that feel like the Onion but are not.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

So... memory loss, deleted texts, yeah this isn't disgusting at all. And then his 3 week suspension only covers 1 week of practice? I feel gross that he was even at my school.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Never been much of a Jim Rome fan, but he brought the heat here: http://www.jimrome.com/articles/urban-meyer-s-disgrace
But let me leave you with this. Urban Meyer claims that his core values are honesty and respect for women. And he lied about and covered for a guy with a history of domestic violence. So what does that tell you about his core values? That they’re useless. That at the core of Urban Meyer is…nothing. And apparently, at the core of Ohio State, is nothing.

Yesterday does not sum up Urban Meyer as a coach, but it sums up Urban Meyer as a person. Big winner on the field, colossal loser in life. A complete and utter failure as a human being.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

At least he could have been funny about it and said that his doctor told him he had CRS Disease
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

What are the odds that Jim Rome doesn’t have a history of mistreatment of women?
Totally Kafkaesque
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Shirley wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:36 am What are the odds that Jim Rome doesn’t have a history of mistreatment of women?
He did get bitch slapped by Chris Evert, oh wait, that was Jim Everett.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:36 am What are the odds that Jim Rome doesn’t have a history of mistreatment of women?
WTF?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:52 am
WTF?
I think I’m with Rass here.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

phxgators wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:09 am So... memory loss, deleted texts, yeah this isn't disgusting at all. And then his 3 week suspension only covers 1 week of practice? I feel gross that he was even at my school.

Well, considering 31 arrests of Gator players while he was there, and that the Zach Smith stuff started there, and Aaron Hernandez was there, you should already maybe have felt that way? I mean, Ohio State clearly got exactly what it signed up for when they hired Meyer. A good coach who is an amoral fucker.