College Football 2018 (non-meltdown thread)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: College Football 2018 (non-meltdown thread)

Post by mister d »

Deadspin is wrong and its just a coincidence that the only two major professional sports with an age limit are the two that generate insane amateur revenue.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:24 pm Deadspin is wrong and its just a coincidence that the only two major professional sports with an age limit are the two that generate insane amateur revenue.
It’s also a total coincidence that they are the two major sports that are primarily played by black athletes. Surely people who are bothered by “one and done” basketball players at Kentucky and Duke felt the same way when Jordan Speith left Texas after his freshman year to go pro.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 pm I didn't watch a minute of this last night but when you live in the midwest, apparently what that game amounted to was: "SEE??? NOTRE DAME TOTALLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE PLAYOFF! WE DIDN'T GIVE UP THAT MANY POINTS TO CLEMSON11!!111"
You are far enough away. Try living under the shadow of Touchdown Jesus.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:24 pm Deadspin is wrong and its just a coincidence that the only two major professional sports with an age limit are the two that generate insane amateur revenue.
Those rules are put in place by the pro leagues, not the NCAA.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Webster's dictionary defines symbiosis as ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Well, obviously the NCAA likes the rule keeping their players at school, but they'd have no recourse if the NFL changed their mind. I'm not really sure what leverage the NCAA has to make the NFL conform to their wants. The rule was put in place by the NFL to protect itself from itself (just like the NBA's one-year rule).
Totally Kafkaesque
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:13 pm I didn't watch a minute of this last night but when you live in the midwest, apparently what that game amounted to was: "SEE??? NOTRE DAME TOTALLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE PLAYOFF! WE DIDN'T GIVE UP THAT MANY POINTS TO CLEMSON11!!111"
that's the overreaction to the overreaction that Notre Dame shouldn't have been in the playoff. Undefeated Notre Dame wasn't getting in at the expense of an Ohio State team that lost to Purdue by 29.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 am Well, obviously the NCAA likes the rule keeping their players at school, but they'd have no recourse if the NFL changed their mind. I'm not really sure what leverage the NCAA has to make the NFL conform to their wants. The rule was put in place by the NFL to protect itself from itself (just like the NBA's one-year rule).
Right, and the reason they can put in rules like that is because they have the NCAA running a very popular, profitable and non-threatening showcase for them.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I mean you guys have pretty much covered it, but another way to think about NCAAB/F is that they are running highly profitable minor/developmental leagues. The NFL doesn't have to invest anything and they get players with some level of showcase. As was mentioned, without that you'd have teams plucking dudes out of high school and then parking them for years on practice squads (NFL) or shipping them off to gawdawful locations in the D-League.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think an interesting sidebar to this discussion is the fact that an amateur baseball player can go back into the draft each year of the four that follow his high school graduation, if he doesn't sign. In hockey, they draft at age 18 and hold the rights for four years, and, unlike other sports, signed players can still play junior hockey. If unsigned after four years, they become a free agent (a la Jimmy Vesey and Will Butcher). Of course in basketball and football, if they sign with an agent, their college career is over.

(If I am incorrect on any of the above, please correct me.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:20 pm I think an interesting sidebar to this discussion is the fact that an amateur baseball player can go back into the draft each year of the four that follow his high school graduation, if he doesn't sign. In hockey, they draft at age 18 and hold the rights for four years, and, unlike other sports, signed players can still play junior hockey. If unsigned after four years, they become a free agent (a la Jimmy Vesey and Will Butcher). Of course in basketball and football, if they sign with an agent, their college career is over.

(If I am incorrect on any of the above, please correct me.)
I thought baseball you had to stay a certain amount of time if you went to college.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that's not true for baseball. Its HS and then, if you don't go JUCO, a 3 year wait.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Only thing to add is in hockey signed players can also play in the NCAA. They can also re-enter the draft after 2 years if they don't sign. As long as they don't sign with an agent.

That change is relatively new (sometime after 2000) and it was a HUGE deal. Total game changer allowing college hockey to be a much more viable alternative to junior hockey.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Hurts is hanging out with Locksly at the Terps basketball game tonight
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm not the tiniest bit worked up about Trump feeding Wendy's, McDonald's and Burger King to Clemson but I do think it is funny as hell.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This is a pretty good take really.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’m torn between that take and being a college kid and getting a steak or something I didn’t usually get.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

They play football at Clemson. They get to eat what ever the hell they want.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, I remember the one or two times per year when a class or someone's parent would take us out in college and I was always like "please, pick McDonald's". That was the real treat.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 pm Yeah, I remember the one or two times per year when a class or someone's parent would take us out in college and I was always like "please, pick McDonald's". That was the real treat.
Well to be clear the location would alter the calculus a bit.lesser meal at White House not a bad thing.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Don't make me play the "what if Obama ordered Dominos for a national champion" card.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm Don't make me play the "what if Obama ordered Dominos for a national champion" card.
Well I’m considering it isn’t the current president just generic idea of White House.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:29 pm I’m torn between that take and being a college kid and getting a steak or something I didn’t usually get.
This. I may have been a bit different with my upbringing, but fuck McDs at the WH.

(My mom was the maitre de at one of the nicest restaurants in Ann Arbor when I was 6-7-8 years old and I'd come in and read books and they'd feed me amazing French food and dote over me. Weird but awesome childhood store #122.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

OK you guys realize this isn’t like a state dinner. It’s just like appetizers and whatnot like during the social hour before a wedding or company event. Probably a bit nicer than the fare at the Lippman bar mitzvah but no one was being denied steak here.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its either insulting or worse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm Don't make me play the "what if Obama ordered Dominos for a national champion" card.

Trump card!

Ok, I'll just be over here looking at the TV of a sports game I don't really care about, with appropriate facial expressions and low key vocal expressions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 pm OK you guys realize this isn’t like a state dinner. It’s just like appetizers and whatnot like during the social hour before a wedding or company event. Probably a bit nicer than the fare at the Lippman bar mitzvah but no one was being denied steak here.
I just wanted to relive my time at The Earle and the steak tournedeos and red wine mushroom reduction sauce... Holy shit... that was just good fucking good man.

*snaps clear* Clemosn?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hey guys, I bet he called and asked for "the usual" hahahahahahaha!!!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 pm
brian wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 pm OK you guys realize this isn’t like a state dinner. It’s just like appetizers and whatnot like during the social hour before a wedding or company event. Probably a bit nicer than the fare at the Lippman bar mitzvah but no one was being denied steak here.
I just wanted to relive my time at The Earle and the steak tournedeos and red wine mushroom reduction sauce... Holy shit... that was just good fucking good man.
I was really hoping the restaurant you’re talking about was Weber’s.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sabo wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 pm
I was really hoping the restaurant you’re talking about was Weber’s.
When shit got REALLY fancy, we went to Victors.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm not as concerned about the food as I am the temperature. I love me some Filet-o-Fish, I'm not going to lie. But I guarantee you those things are cold.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A lot of the attacks on Twitter were frankly really, really classist and not a good look. I get the impulse to make fun of the situation but if your take is veering towards (or is) "people who eat fast food are trash" you're doing it wrong.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Work leaders (who pride themselves on their enormous wealth) who serve fast food to college students but wouldn't dare serve it to another world leader are trash" works for me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

President Trump’s extravagant, $3,000, 300-sandwich celebration of Clemson University
Update: Some people have noted that the McDonald’s sandwiches and nuggets would be on the 2-for-$5 menu. If so, the total drops to $2,437.11. It also explains why there are so many more McDonald’s products than Burger King.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oh wow. Hurts to Oklahoma.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 pm Oh wow. Hurts to Oklahoma.
Eh, god bless him. I wish him a fantastically successful regular season.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The problem here isn't necessarily the penalties, it's that UNC got nothing for a cheating scam which was way worse.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So the Terps won a 4-star QB recruiting battle against FSU. Wow.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:06 pm So the Terps won a 4-star QB recruiting battle against FSU. Wow.
FSU is a disaster at the moment