John “The Maverick” McCain

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: John “The Maverick” McCain

Post by Johnnie »

I think context is important with that woman who put McCain on the spot with that comment she made.

In the moment he repudiated her notion that he was a bad person. And I think he was caught off guard and couldn't fully articulate everything the way Colin Powell could in an interview with some prep.

The Pod Save America guys today made the point better than I can right now, but to go back and be like "Oh, he didn't give a full throated response to the Arab part so it was a half hearted response" is a mischaracterization.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It sucks that I had to hear this point and it didn't hit me naturally...

The president, who called NFL players sons of bitches and said they should get fired for kneeling during the national anthem because it disrespects the flag and the troops, literally used the flag in the most petty and baseless way possible to disrespect one of the most beloved veterans in the Senate. It's disgusting.

Have any NFL players or the player's union stated this to call out the commissioner and owners? You'd think there would be more of an uproar.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:00 am I think context is important with that woman who put McCain on the spot with that comment she made.

In the moment he repudiated her notion that he was a bad person. And I think he was caught off guard and couldn't fully articulate everything the way Colin Powell could in an interview with some prep.

The Pod Save America guys today made the point better than I can right now, but to go back and be like "Oh, he didn't give a full throated response to the Arab part so it was a half hearted response" is a mischaracterization.
I get that, and it's why I added the disclaimer about Beto's NFL words, and expectations from an open forum.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnnie, do you think this petty bs erodes Trump’s support among the military and veterans communities? Gawd, I hope so.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:18 am
Johnnie wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:00 am I think context is important with that woman who put McCain on the spot with that comment she made.

I get that, and it's why I added the disclaimer about Beto's NFL words, and expectations from an open forum.
Fair. I just saw back to back posts and was like "there's a bit more nuance here." I must've read through too quickly to see that you did have that as a disclaimer.
sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:20 am Johnnie, do you think this petty bs erodes Trump’s support among the military and veterans communities? Gawd, I hope so.
I hope so too. But ultimately, the types of people who join the military are from poorer working class backgrounds from red states. They are exactly the types that think any behavior to own libs is the right thing to do. Because libs = evil because they hate the military.

I got into a back and forth with a retiree friend on Instagram because he posted one of those maps with all the counties that are red compared to blue and was like "America voted, so democracy worked and this is our president."

I couldn't articulate in a pithy, "take that" meme type comment with how incredibly wrong he was. And no matter what angle I came at him from: popular vote, population that voted that tilted the EVs in the important states, population distribution, the likelihood that the map would be the exact same colors with Hillary as president, .. Etc. He didn't take one step back from his assertion at all and declared that he won the debate because of some hypothetical that "if 51% of the country is living in LA, how dare they determine the president! ALL of America determines the president. The Electoral college works!" and my disagreeing with him was stupid.

I could've done something like "#StickTo[your profession]" but what does that do?

So, I honestly don't know. But what I do know is that right now my HQ Air Force level leadership is outstanding and General Goldfein is the probable next Chairman of the JCS. And the Air Force (and military in general) is insulated from anything because we're not allowed to have a public political opinion while serving. They say we can, but I know better.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Meghan McCain went in on Trump during her dad's eulogy.

And, man, when Obama talked I was like "Oh, yeah. I remember having a president that talked like that."

Also sighted at the funeral: Jay Leno and Warren Beatty.