Swamp Kids in College Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Swamp Kids in College Thread

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Loved my time on campus radio. Especially in a small town where you were not competing with many stations. I did a 6-10AM shift with a buddy called the "eclectic cockroach" (basically gave us the freedom to play whatever we wanted). Our request line pulled heavily from the local county lockup.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, The Girl has really hit the ground running at DU. She's made a bunch of friends and seems to be enjoying the social aspect, which she struggle with in high school. (Some mean girl stuff mixed in with her being pretty salty when she's got anxiety, which was just a vicious cycle until she found her friend group senior year.)

Anyways, she's enjoying classes and just seems really motivated.

And today we got some more great news. My buddy that works in radio up in MI has a really good handle on what Sports Info Depts do and how they incorporate college kids into the mix. He shared all that with The Girl over the summer and she got really excited about trying that out.

Just found out that she aced her interview and will start doing some office work and then being a runner and stats person for whatever sport works for her schedule. The guy that interviewed her was apparently a little taken aback by her hockey knowledge, and she played soccer for a decade, so... He told her it was the shortest interview he'd ever conducted.

:D
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That’s awesome.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

All good news. Great to hear.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 pm So, The Girl has really hit the ground running at DU. She's made a bunch of friends and seems to be enjoying the social aspect, which she struggle with in high school. (Some mean girl stuff mixed in with her being pretty salty when she's got anxiety, which was just a vicious cycle until she found her friend group senior year.)

And today we got some more great news. My buddy that works in radio up in MI has a really good handle on what Sports Info Depts do and how they incorporate college kids into the mix. He shared all that with The Girl over the summer and she got really excited about trying that out.

Just found out that she aced her interview and will start doing some office work and then being a runner and stats person for whatever sport works for her schedule. The guy that interviewed her was apparently a little taken aback by her hockey knowledge, and she played soccer for a decade, so... He told her it was the shortest interview he'd ever conducted.

I worked in the Sports Info department starting my sophomore year...even though I ended up not choosing it as a career it was the best decision I made in college because it was the first thing I had ever done that I wanted to turn into a career.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:48 pm So, The Girl has really hit the ground running at DU. She's made a bunch of friends and seems to be enjoying the social aspect, which she struggle with in high school. (Some mean girl stuff mixed in with her being pretty salty when she's got anxiety, which was just a vicious cycle until she found her friend group senior year.)

I worked in the Sports Info department starting my sophomore year...even though I ended up not choosing it as a career it was the best decision I made in college because it was the first thing I had ever done that I wanted to turn into a career.
I wish I had been more career focused in college. I was so wrapped up in playing a sport, I didn't really even think about what's next until my senior year.

I'm super jealous of my MI radio buddy, because he went to a high school that was kind of alternative and allowed him to start thinking about broadcasting very early on.

And now I'm gonna live vicariously through my daughter, because I'm pretty sure I would've moved into sports communications instead of politics if I'd been more on top of my shit after college.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, my wife and daughter left yesterday morning on their drive to Seattle to move my daughter in to the dorms at UW. (They are on quarters, hence the start in late September). I bowed out on joining them because I couldn't get the time off from my new mailman job. And my wife made arrangements with her buddy to drive back home together. They got excited about that.

So, then I subsequently just quit my USPS job (see the Job Questions thread). And it was kind of late to horn in on all the plans for the trip they've already made. And, because I previously thought I had to be home, we didn't make any arrangements for anybody to take care of the dog and the cats (one of which needs daily insulin injections). So, I'm home with the animals while they are on the road.

I'm already missing my daughter. She got really teary-eyed with me the night before she left and it was a moment I think we'll both remember. She's excited about going away to college, but also really really nervous. I wish I was with her up there for the send-off.

It's good for me to read the positive stories from AB and NLFC about their kids going to college. Helps my state of mind.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:20 pm So, my wife and daughter left yesterday morning on their drive to Seattle to move my daughter in to the dorms at UW. (They are on quarters, hence the start in late September). I bowed out on joining them because I couldn't get the time off from my new mailman job. And my wife made arrangements with her buddy to drive back home together. They got excited about that.

So, then I subsequently just quit my USPS job (see the Job Questions thread). And it was kind of late to horn in on all the plans for the trip they've already made. And, because I previously thought I had to be home, we didn't make any arrangements for anybody to take care of the dog and the cats (one of which needs daily insulin injections). So, I'm home with the animals while they are on the road.

I'm already missing my daughter. She got really teary-eyed with me the night before she left and it was a moment I think we'll both remember. She's excited about going away to college, but also really really nervous. I wish I was with her up there for the send-off.

It's good for me to read the positive stories from AB and NLFC about their kids going to college. Helps my state of mind.
First off, holy wow that's a lot of life stuff to deal with in a tiny window. You made the right call for you on the mail carrier thing...

The one thing that they tell these kids that I think Karina really took to heart (and we echoed) is to just be open to mixing in with people, explore clubs, attend the orientation stuff, etc etc.

=-=-=-=-=
One other positive development, but really more for me and my wife's pocketbook than for Karina: She was strongly considering rushing (I may have mentioned that), which is REALLY out of character for her.* Now that she has the SID job, on top of school work and just having a social life already, she's going to wait until next year.

I had been real honest with her about finances. We're not rich. We have two kids in college. These sororities are asking like $2-2.5k per year. And I'm not a fan of the greek system in the first place. And it's not a social deal breaker, at all, at DU.

"Look kid, you can spend your money almost all the way down on a sorority, or you can build up some money to skiing, go to Red Rocks, etc. But we can't bankroll all that, on top of everything else."

We don't say no to our kids very often, primarily because they don't ask for outrageous shit. So I think me not saying no, but painting her a picture of reality, hit her.

* - I say out of character, but she has really changed the last 12 months. I think she was guarding herself so much from rejection that she had entered a dark place that she just isn't that person anymore.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:20 pmI'm already missing my daughter. She got really teary-eyed with me the night before she left and it was a moment I think we'll both remember. She's excited about going away to college, but also really really nervous. I wish I was with her up there for the send-off.
My oldest isn't even 7 yet and all of these stories here are pre-killing me.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:06 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:20 pmI'm already missing my daughter. She got really teary-eyed with me the night before she left and it was a moment I think we'll both remember. She's excited about going away to college, but also really really nervous. I wish I was with her up there for the send-off.
Shit, I still get anxious if I randomly think about mine at school at all. I hope the Swamp's around in 11 years for some guidance!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Fuck that, lets all make a pact to never send our kids to college.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:06 pm
My daughter is set on playing soccer at Rutgers, so that's only 30 minutes away. She said she would live at home, and I blurted out "hell no" before it even became a conscious thought.

SCK, if your talk was anything like my father's parting words of wisdom when I went off to college, she will remember it. The heartfelt words, "keep your willy capped" my father sent me off with resonated strongly.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:21 pm Fuck that, lets all make a pact to never send our kids to college.
Hell no!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If the GOP gets its way, the only higher educational institution by then will be Trump University.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:23 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:21 pm Fuck that, lets all make a pact to never send our kids to college.
Hell no!
Seconded.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So after some (non-physical) conflict with his roommate, my son was offered the chance to move to another dorm. This is a more traditional setup, with a long hallway with double rooms on both sides. And as it happened, one of the rooms had no one in it, meaning that my son now has a double-sized room all to himself.

This is basically what I had been suggesting for weeks, so I think this will be good. So far he is liking it much more. Because Mines is a small school and it's all engineering, I think he will still get to know people, but now he will have a place of his own to retreat to when he needs to be alone or - hopefully - when the other folks on the floor are tired of him. (I can't remember if I said this before, but while he is not actually on the spectrum, he has a lot of characteristics of Asperger's, including difficulty picking up on stuff like that.)

Anyway, he seems much happier now. And he's flying back tomorrow for the weekend.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 am So after some (non-physical) conflict with his roommate, my son was offered the chance to move to another dorm. This is a more traditional setup, with a long hallway with double rooms on both sides. And as it happened, one of the rooms had no one in it, meaning that my son now has a double-sized room all to himself.

This is basically what I had been suggesting for weeks, so I think this will be good. So far he is liking it much more. Because Mines is a small school and it's all engineering, I think he will still get to know people, but now he will have a place of his own to retreat to when he needs to be alone or - hopefully - when the other folks on the floor are tired of him. (I can't remember if I said this before, but while he is not actually on the spectrum, he has a lot of characteristics of Asperger's, including difficulty picking up on stuff like that.)

Anyway, he seems much happier now. And he's flying back tomorrow for the weekend.
Glad it's working out for him!

I roomed in the dorms with my best friend from high school so I never had to go through that kind of situation.

One of my anxieties on behalf of my daughter is hoping her roommate situation works out. They had a lottery on when you could select rooms and she got a bad number, so she was late in the process and is in a triple room with two other girls. They are both from the greater Seattle suburbs, so she may get the room to herself some weekends.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:49 am So after some (non-physical) conflict with his roommate, my son was offered the chance to move to another dorm. This is a more traditional setup, with a long hallway with double rooms on both sides. And as it happened, one of the rooms had no one in it, meaning that my son now has a double-sized room all to himself.

Your brief description reminds me of my son - who is going to school in Toronto so he lives at home.

That's very good news - you (and he) must be relieved.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We hit the two month doldrums hard. Still getting good grades, still involved, but getting a bit homesick apparently. She will be home in a couple of weeks so hopefully that can reboot her to finish strong.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:58 pm We hit the two month doldrums hard. Still getting good grades, still involved, but getting a bit homesick apparently. She will be home in a couple of weeks so hopefully that can reboot her to finish strong.
It hard to remember after all these years but leaving home for the first time is hard. You're right though. Between that trip and the holiday break as a carrot she'll probably be able to do well the rest of the semester. By the time the beginning of January rolls around (when I assume the next semester starts?) she'll probably be ready to get back to school and away from you guys.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Washington started late (quarters), so my daughter hasn't been away as long, but my wife and I are flying up to Seattle Thursday to see her (even though she'll be home for Thanksgiving, too). On the phone, she is somewhat inscrutable. Always says everything is fine, and maybe it is. But, I think she'd say that in any case, so I'm looking forward to giving her a hug and making sure.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah, my wife and youngest are actually flying up to Boston the weekend before thanksgiving then all three coming back that Sunday. We booked the trip up there before her plans changed and she decided to come home instead of goign to NYC with a friend's family.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I just got back from Parents' Weekend at my son's school.

His grades are not good. That shocks the hell out of me. I do think he'll rally, but he's never really been challenged before grade-wise.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

So, yeah... When we moved in The Girl in September, we took a 3 day vacation up in Vail, then came back to give her a hug before flying out. A couple of weeks back, we visited the week after Parent's Weekend. (Wife biffed on the dates, but it actually works out nice, because it's not such a shitshow going out to eat an getting hotel rooms and stuff.)

She's still doing well with her SID job and socially. She's not really being healthy and it's starting to catch up to her. She has her first trimester finals and flies home for T'giving.

All in all, it's been spaced out pretty well to help alleviate homesickness (and my wife's inevitable melancholy).
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:16 pm I just got back from Parents' Weekend at my son's school.

His grades are not good. That shocks the hell out of me. I do think he'll rally, but he's never really been challenged before grade-wise.
It can be a big adjustment. Is he completing work and doing poorly or working on developing the time-management to get shit done? The latter was what took me a big to adjust to. I could no longer just get by on listening in class and flash memorizing notes 30 minutes before exams like I did in HS.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:04 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:16 pm I just got back from Parents' Weekend at my son's school.

It can be a big adjustment. Is he completing work and doing poorly or working on developing the time-management to get shit done? The latter was what took me a big to adjust to. I could no longer just get by on listening in class and flash memorizing notes 30 minutes before exams like I did in HS.
I'm trying not to pry too much, but he failed his math test. Which is a complete shock, as he was always the whiz kid at math (as was I). I think it's mostly time management - severe ADHD, depression, and anxiety don't help though. He has been studying and doing the work, but he tells me he does not know how to study.

So I am hopeful that after being smacked in the face with the first round of tests, he will rally. It is nerve-wracking because he is on a partial scholarship / tuition waiver that requires a 2.5 GPA. But I think that is looked at on a yearly basis, not every semester.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:25 pm
BSF21 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:04 am

I'm trying not to pry too much, but he failed his math test. Which is a complete shock, as he was always the whiz kid at math (as was I). I think it's mostly time management - severe ADHD, depression, and anxiety don't help though. He has been studying and doing the work, but he tells me he does not know how to study.

So I am hopeful that after being smacked in the face with the first round of tests, he will rally. It is nerve-wracking because he is on a partial scholarship / tuition waiver that requires a 2.5 GPA. But I think that is looked at on a yearly basis, not every semester.
Sounds like my freshmen year at Butler. I wasn't prepared to study at all. HS was so easy. College definitely was not. I also had a partial scholarship my freshmen year. I was on the other end of the college experience that year. It wasn't depression, anxiety and ADHD; it was beer, booze and babes (along with bong hits) that took the place of studying. College never became as easy as HS was, but it is a growing experience. I transferred to Ball State, changed my major 3 times during my college career and don't even work in the field of study I spent six and half great years (and only getting a BS) of my life learning about.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Been a rough second half of semester but daughter expects nothing worse than high b in all classes. Has an a in two for sure and others depend a bit on final but still a chance for straight as. But I don’t mind b’s. She has bounced back from mid semester issues.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:03 pm Been a rough second half of semester but daughter expects nothing worse than high b in all classes. Has an a in two for sure and others depend a bit on final but still a chance for straight as. But I don’t mind b’s. She has bounced back from mid semester issues.
Good to hear, AB. Ours comes home Friday (quarters). She says “everything is fine.” She is inscrutable, so that could mean straight A’s, or gawd knows what. Hard to know what to expect in the first term at college.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My oldest found out yesterday that she's been accepted at both Chapman and Redlands. At Chapman she's been offered a 'Provost Scholarship' which is they highest scholarship award they give out.

Still waiting to hear about Gonzaga, but I would guess that she'll end up at Chapman.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Awesome!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Scholarships are definitely awesome. And that one sounds super awesome.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Congrats DiS.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That’s great man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:29 pm Scholarships are definitely awesome. And that one sounds super awesome.
Thanks everyone. Its pretty cool for her, and I won't complain at all about having an excuse to visit SoCal for a few years.

And getting that scholarship is great. She's worked really hard, and its good to see all that work pay off.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My son heard back from his first choice, Swarthmore, Friday night. He got in. He's really excited not only about getting in, but now he doesn't have to do any more applications!

(no scholarships, though)
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Outstanding , Dave! Congrats to he and his parents!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's great - congratulations.

Go Garnet!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Congrats!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Congrats!
So with east coast bias you just don't hear about some of the smaller universities out west...but know both of these. Chapman is a powerhouse in the virtual varsity club lacrosse league and I think Redlands has a pretty strong d3 athletics setup (tennis and soccer).

Always fun to see alumni of schools like this...Guessing Chapman has a very strong film/tv program.
Chapman- Jodie Sweetin, Brewers Play-by-Play guy, Cy Young Winner Randy Jones, Tim Flannery, Guys who created Stranger Things, Co-creater of. Colin Hanks, Former Owners of the Mariners, Con Bro Chill (he also had a cup of coffee in the pro lacrosse league)
Redlands- Mr. Green Jeans from Capt. Kangaroo, writer/producers for Cheers, a couple of MLSers