Re: Bart O’Kavanaugh hearings and inevitable confirmation

Post by EnochRoot »

A jarringly effective political cartoon Bruce MacKinnon this morning

Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:35 am Johnnie - I don’t have the stomach for reddit or searching through mega threads there. Any tl/dr for those threads? Or a shortcut to the good stuff?
I would just say that typically the most upvoted comments have the best info. Just sort it as such. The real value to a story is in the comments.

And following r/ShitPoppinKreamSays is a must. She's a Canadian poster who posts facts and timelines with full sources and everything. I don't know how she finds the time to do it all.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Joe K wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:29 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:16 pm I feel like this is all bullshit additional dramatic theater and the Dems lost again.
I agree. The bottom line is that this vote advanced Kavanaugh one significant step closer to confirmation. And I think that it’s unlikely that an FBI investigation reaches a definitive conclusion unless Mark Judge or another of his friends comes clean. So even if an FBI investigation occurs, the most likely result is that its inconclusive results give the fence sitters cover to vote for confirmation.
Reposting this in light of Johnnie’s last post. This was all too predictable. If the GOP had any real interest in digging in, he’s already given them grounds to vote him down. But the whole point of this FBI investigation is to give them cover to confirm him. It reminds me of how we’ve seen in other cases (like Jameis Winston at FSU) that a belated and thus inconclusive investigation is treated as an “exoneration” even when it shouldn’t be. The Dems better be thinking of their next step strategically because we all know where this is headed.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's so great how comedic response to this cuts right to the meat of everything and calls out the bullshit:

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 am It's so great how comedic response to this cuts right to the meat of everything and calls out the bullshit:

They nailed it. Especially Graham’s unintended comedy of drawing parallels to Bill Cosby.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Charles (Chad) Ludington, Associate Professoro at NC State, tells of some of his drinking escapades with Brett Kavanaugh.

I have been contacted by numerous reporters about Brett Kavanaugh and have not wanted to say anything because I had nothing to contribute about what kind of justice he would be. I knew Brett at Yale because I was a classmate and a varsity basketball player and Brett enjoyed socializing with athletes. Indeed, athletes formed the core of Brett’s social circle.

In recent days I have become deeply troubled by what has been a blatant mischaracterization by Brett himself of his drinking at Yale. When I watched Brett and his wife being interviewed on Fox News on Monday, and when I watched Brett deliver his testimony under oath to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday, I cringed. For the fact is, at Yale, and I can speak to no other times, Brett was a frequent drinker, and a heavy drinker. I know, because, especially in our first two years of college, I often drank with him. On many occasions I heard Brett slur his words and saw him staggering from alcohol consumption, not all of which was beer. When Brett got drunk, he was often belligerent and aggressive. On one of the last occasions I purposely socialized with Brett, I witnessed him respond to a semi-hostile remark, not by defusing the situation, but by throwing his beer in the man’s face and starting a fight that ended with one of our mutual friends in jail.

I do not believe that the heavy drinking or even loutish behavior of an 18- or even 21-year-old should condemn a person for the rest of his life. I would be a hypocrite to think so. However, I have direct and repeated knowledge about his drinking and his disposition while drunk. And I do believe that Brett’s actions as a 53-year-old federal judge matter. If he lied about his past actions on national television, and more especially while speaking under oath in front of the United States Senate, I believe those lies should have consequences. It is truth that is at stake, and I believe that the ability to speak the truth, even when it does not reflect well upon oneself, is a paramount quality we seek in our nation’s most powerful judges.

I can unequivocally say that in denying the possibility that he ever blacked out from drinking, and in downplaying the degree and frequency of his drinking, Brett has not told the truth.

I felt it was my civic duty to tell of my experience while drinking with Brett, and I offer this statement to the press. I have no desire to speak further publicly, and nothing more to say to the press at this time. I will, however, take my information to the F.B.I.

Charles (Chad) Ludington
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

FWIW, I know Chad and his family. He's a really good dude. And huge. I'm pretty sure that if Kavanaugh ever got "belligerent and aggressive" with Chad, then he was REALLY drunk.
Totally Kafkaesque
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’m about 20 years younger than Kavanaugh, and maybe these things have changed over time, but heavy drinker for whom athletes formed the core of his social circle is exactly what I’d expect based on hearing that he was in the Yale chapter of DKE.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Joe K wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:20 am I’m about 20 years younger than Kavanaugh, and maybe these things have changed over time, but heavy drinker for whom athletes formed the core of his social circle is exactly what I’d expect based on hearing that he was in the Yale chapter of DKE.
I’m gathering that he was probably involved in cocaine. Perhaps lots of it. I mean, Yale Law in the 80s? Come the fuck on.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Coke? Amphetamines? Yeah. There’s a lot more to that story (that started entirely in my head, admittedly)...

(O;
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Interesting. I took the "BEER GUY" stuff to minimize other alcohol and total alcohol. Everything I read made him sound like a past and present day, in denial problem drinker who is trying to sound like the guy who only has a beer or two.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:38 am Interesting. I took the "BEER GUY" stuff to minimize other alcohol and total alcohol. Everything I read made him sound like a past and present day, in denial problem drinker who is trying to sound like the guy who only has a beer or two.
BEER. I liked BEER. I still like BEER.

He used that before when confronted about suspected drug usage.

I suppose that could be tinfoil hat material. But...Maybe not.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So...Mark Judge deleted his YouTube channel. This shit’s allowed on YT?

The fuck?

Was this really Mark Judge’s channel, depicting bikini-clad girls passed out on beds?

Is Trump just trolling the fuck out of America, or what in the ever living fuck is happening any more?

Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In a suddenly sane world, those texts would be game over, no?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

This would fall under witness tampering, no?

And potentially proof he perjured himself as to the knowledge of Ramirez's charges.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I guess Chris Dudley being brought into this means there's only 2 or 3 minutes left.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:06 pm
Is Trump just trolling the fuck out of America, or what in the ever living fuck is happening any more?
Trump has made a good living off of the stupidity and gullibility of Americans. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING that has happened since he entered the political sphere would have in any way, shape or form changed his mind.

He's got powerful men who made fun of him no more than 30 months ago eating out of his hand. He;s got 10,000 people drooling at his every word at his rallies. He's got the most popular cable news network treating his words as if he's Jesus himself. Etc., etc.,

Why would he change anything?

He has brought every heinous aspect of American culture into the light for the world to see - and it's making him a fortune.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Rex wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:08 pm I guess Chris Dudley being brought into this means there's only 2 or 3 minutes left.
Like.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I love how the FBI is simultaneously Trump's biggest enemy on a macro scale (Deep State!) and biggest supporter on a micro scale (intentionally obstructing people from providing tips in this "investigation" into sexual assault).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:01 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:06 pm
Trump has made a good living off of the stupidity and gullibility of Americans. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING that has happened since he entered the political sphere would have in any way, shape or form changed his mind.

He's got powerful men who made fun of him no more than 30 months ago eating out of his hand. He;s got 10,000 people drooling at his every word at his rallies. He's got the most popular cable news network treating his words as if he's Jesus himself. Etc., etc.,

Why would he change anything?

He has brought every heinous aspect of American culture into the light for the world to see - and it's making him a fortune.
Agreed with all of this, except I didn’t mean Trump was just joking when I used the term trolling.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

1. This UB40 thing might favor Kavanaugh in that most people wouldn't consider it disqualifying and its grabbing all the headlines right now.

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

mister d wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:30 am 1. This UB40 thing might favor Kavanaugh in that most people wouldn't consider it disqualifying and its grabbing all the headlines right now.
I may have said it before, but: UB40's cover of "The Way You Do the Things You Do" > the Temptations version. Fight me.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am
mister d wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:30 am 1. This UB40 thing might favor Kavanaugh in that most people wouldn't consider it disqualifying and its grabbing all the headlines right now.
I may have said it before, but: UB40's cover of "The Way You Do the Things You Do" > the Temptations version. Fight me.
No.

But in their time, they were a great band.

And the focus on a single bar fight is distracting from the fact that he probably perjured himself.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If those texts about Ramirez are true, there's no doubt of perjury, just of whether the holdout Rs will care.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:42 am
This is an acceptable take. If you say Red Red Wine I would fight you. To the death. And enjoy a nice cab as a victory celebration.

I think the original is one of the most underrated songs ever and the songwriter did it an injustice by performing it as the UB40 version for the rest of his career.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It's not the crime it's the...

Oh, who the fuck are we kidding, this guy is getting confirmed.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

If I may be a reggae pedant - this is the version that UB40 was covering.

A cover of a cover if you will.

Here's a good 7 minute podcast tracing the history of the song.

https://podtail.com/podcast/ft-arts/the ... -red-wine/
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

No, you may not.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Apologies.

But if I may be a reggae pedant - here is the best of the subgenre of "Judge Songs" from Jamaica from the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Catching up on the news - I'm not surprised that Chris Dudley is involved now. I knew he was a friend of Chad's at Yale where they played basketball together. I didn't realize he was the friend mentioned in the story about the fight. I also didn't remember that Dudley ran for office as a Republican a few years ago and is now a Kavanaugh backer. It's funny that I read an article where Dudley says Luddington's got the story wrong, but then the police report pretty much matches up exactly with Luddington's letter.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:59 pm Catching up on the news - I'm not surprised that Chris Dudley is involved now. I knew he was a friend of Chad's at Yale where they played basketball together. I didn't realize he was the friend mentioned in the story about the fight. I also didn't remember that Dudley ran for office as a Republican a few years ago and is now a Kavanaugh backer. It's funny that I read an article where Dudley says Luddington's got the story wrong, but then the police report pretty much matches up exactly with Luddington's letter.
Dudley’s simply providing cover so that the cognitively impaired will fall in line.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fuck everyone in that room. They should feel the pain and know that no one cares.

Honest to God, these fucking people deserve hell.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And if you believe in the Old Testament God that wasn’t fond of worshipping false idols that’s exactly what they’ll get.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:46 pm And if you believe in the Old Testament God that wasn’t fond of worshipping false idols that’s exactly what they’ll get.
Then, I'd sure like to see some of that wrath right about now!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am
brian wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:46 pm And if you believe in the Old Testament God that wasn’t fond of worshipping false idols that’s exactly what they’ll get.
Then, I'd sure like to see some of that wrath right about now!
Some would say that you are seeing it already. That this administration is a form of punishment.

(I wouldn't, but the old testament is filled with examples of entire societies being punished for its collective sins)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:16 pm Kavanaugh Described Himself And Friends As 'Loud, Obnoxious Drunks' In 1983 Letter Signed 'Bart'

Ugh. Come on. 2 Republicans can't fucking end this charade?
They could. But why would they?

Remember that every single Republican Senator and Congressperson is okay with what the Republican party has been since Gingrich. A few are embarrassed by that, so you get Flake or Sasse or whoever hemming and hawing once in a while. But all of these folks took a look at Gingrich's "the left is the real enemy of the country" approach to politics and said 'sign me up.'
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.