Champions League 2018-19

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Champions League 2018-19

Post by govmentchedda »

This is a Stefon game.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Very
Awful
Rule
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Feel bad for that Spurs player who decided he need to pass the ball back towards the goal for some damn reason. What a mental breakdown.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Brian shut up.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

FUCK CITEH!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 pm Brian shut up.
Honest to God, I had shut the game off. I missed they called that back.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They still haven't shown it. I don't doubt it, but I need to see it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am shaking like a leaf!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Should be a cracking next 5 games. I love watching all 4 of these teams.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:00 pm They still haven't shown it. I don't doubt it, but I need to see it.
Yeah...did they ever show a replay of the offside call?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was curious just how much I cared, relative to other sports, and this solidified its more than I thought. Go Ajax.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:19 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:00 pm They still haven't shown it. I don't doubt it, but I need to see it.
Yeah...did they ever show a replay of the offside call?
Yeah, it was close, but offside. The sort of call that if the goal had stood, Spurs fans wouldn't really be complaining. (Or at least shouldn't complain. Aguero was moving away from the goal in order to get onside... just missed.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If this were an American sport, he would retrospectively be deemed lazy because he didn't rush back, correct?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:53 pm If this were an American sport, he would retrospectively be deemed lazy because he didn't rush back, correct?
I don't think so... it was pretty close, and he did set up Sterling.

(And he's you know, Caucasian, so probably not.)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:39 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:53 pm If this were an American sport, he would retrospectively be deemed lazy because he didn't rush back, correct?
I don't think so... it was pretty close, and he did set up Sterling.

(And he's you know, Caucasian, so probably not.)
what
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I'm pretty uncomfortable with the use of VAR there. I mean the call looks right probably, and at least it's better than using it for something completely subjective like a foul, but I don't think using VAR there takes you to a good place in the long run. That wasn't the hand of god, that was the most technical of violations. Since TV can't really capture the perfect angle at the moment a ball is played (what does that even mean?) I think there has to be a zone where offsides is allowed to slide.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rex wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm I'm pretty uncomfortable with the use of VAR there. I mean the call looks right probably, and at least it's better than using it for something completely subjective like a foul, but I don't think using VAR there takes you to a good place in the long run. That wasn't the hand of god, that was the most technical of violations. Since TV can't really capture the perfect angle at the moment a ball is played (what does that even mean?) I think there has to be a zone where offsides is allowed to slide.
I agree with you.

The strange thing that you see in some instances is the linesman keeping the flag down when there looks like an offside and then a whistle gets blown moments later. Seems like the eye in the sky is calling some of these offsides.

Maybe they should borrow from the NFL and give the managers one or two appeals for the game?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I am still confused as to how a guy from Argentina is Caucasian.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I definitely think a challenge system would solve a lot of the problems in basketball, where the refs now feel like they have to look at everything that happens in the last 2 minutes. In soccer though, i think the managers would just use their challenges on goals so we'd be in the same place. (Although perhaps they would have been used up in a crazy game like that one!)

I'm afraid that VAR was so well-executed at the World Cup and the result was so satisfying that people now have too rosy a view of how it is going to be going forward.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:13 am I am still confused as to how a guy from Argentina is Caucasian.
Why does this confuse you?
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

62% of Argentines claim Italian heritage. Between them and the Spaniards who didn’t mix or barely mixed with natives, it’s pretty white. The Nazis moved there, that should tell you how white it is!
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Shirley wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:50 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:13 am I am still confused as to how a guy from Argentina is Caucasian.
Why does this confuse you?
because of the way that labels like Caucasian are typically applied -- and how simple-minded people who would have differing judgments based on looks/name/country of origin would use the typical labeling (like I did in that post) and not consider the ethnic origins of the population influx in Argentina hundreds of years ago.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’m with bronto. Caucaisian is a European/North African distinction if I recall my college corrrectly.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Look at this guy. If I told you his name was Trent Stevens and he grew up in Illinois but took a consulting job in Denver so he could ski more would anyone think I was lying?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Like the US, the vast majority of people in Argentina are either entirely or mostly European in ethnic origin. Those people are typically referred to as Caucasian. Of course, we all know ethnicity is more complicated than that, but it's generally perfectly normal to refer to "white" people as Caucasian. And Argentinians are predominantly white (85% according to Wikipedia).
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:42 pm Like the US, the vast majority of people in Argentina are either entirely or mostly European in ethnic origin. Those people are typically referred to as Caucasian. Of course, we all know ethnicity is more complicated than that, but it's generally perfectly normal to refer to "white" people as Caucasian. And Argentinians are predominantly white (85% according to Wikipedia).
I remember reading, not too long ago, that Mexicans coming to the US were considered white, until there were enough that the white folks could hate and fear them - at which point they became non-white.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:01 am
The strange thing that you see in some instances is the linesman keeping the flag down when there looks like an offside and then a whistle gets blown moments later. Seems like the eye in the sky is calling some of these offsides.

Several years bac they made a rule change, requiring linesmen to keep their flag down until the offside player touches the ball or interferes with the play. Previously, the flag was supposed to go up immediately, and the ref would wait to blow the whistle once the offside player became part of the play. I hate the late flags, as play continues too long after the offside, and someone is going to get injured. Plus, defenders stop, expecting the late flag, and sometimes the flag doesn't go up.

ETA: Often, the camera is on a wide view, so you see the linesman before the pass is made, then the camera zooms in, so you don't see the flag go up.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:46 pm

Several years bac they made a rule change, requiring linesmen to keep their flag down until the offside player touches the ball or interferes with the play. Previously, the flag was supposed to go up immediately, and the ref would wait to blow the whistle once the offside player became part of the play. I hate the late flags, as play continues too long after the offside, and someone is going to get injured. Plus, defenders stop, expecting the late flag, and sometimes the flag doesn't go up.

ETA: Often, the camera is on a wide view, so you see the linesman before the pass is made, then the camera zooms in, so you don't see the flag go up.
Ahh - that explains it.

It is ridiculous, isn't it?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

There are some things about Off sides that are super hard on the linesmen and ref. I often find my self watching "Instant Replay" on MLS.com( this weeks https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/04/ ... oplay=true). They have 2 guys usually (Bobby Warsaw being one) show video reviews on close plays (offsides/no offside, cards, PKs, no call, etc). Often the conversation on off sides are really hard to see in slow motion. When the ball is played was his right should past a guy, etc. (US Pro Referee has similar good stuff http://proreferees.com/features/education/)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Ahh - that explains it.

It is ridiculous, isn't it?
The reason for the change was to allow more plays to continue while a player in an offsides position is not involved in the play. Imagine a cross coming in from the side, one attacker in the middle (onside), one at the far post (offside). The player in the middle knocks in the cross for a goal. In the old days, the flag would go up, the ref and linesman would consult, linesman would tell the ref the goal scorer was on, other player not in the play, so the goal would stand. The fans, players and spectators wouldn't know if the linesman deemed the goal scorer off and the ref overruled. This caused a lot of abuse towards the ref. Or if play continued, fans and players would think the red missed the flag. Or worst case, the ref would see the flag, blow the whistle, then learn the flag was for a guy out of the play, but it's too late, because he stopped play before the onside player scored.

I agree with the change, but I think they wait too long. Once it's obvious the offside player is moving towards the ball, flag should go up. You'll see a longball with a player chasing, taking 5 seconds to get to the ball, and they wait until he actually touches the ball. To me, once he runs towards the ball, that's enough. I've seen a number of times the player runs to the ball, so the defenders stop, knowing he is way off. Then the player will stop, and a teammate will then go for it. That should be ruled being part of the play when you start to run for the ball.

I could be remembering wrong, but I think in my playing and reffing days, the rule was to blow the whistle if any player was offside on a goal, even across the field, unless they stepped off the field. I remember the rule book having a diagram showing a player stepping into the goal to be off the field and not offside.

When coaching or watching my daughters game, I spend more time watching the linesmen than the ref. It drives me insane when linesmen are out of position. If you are in position, offsides is pretty easy, but if you aren't, it's impossible. Linesman each cover half the field, and the ref runs a diagonal, so he is always on the opposite side of the field as the linesman on that half, so most of the play is between the ref and linesman, and the ref can see that linesman and the ball, while the other linesman looks for fouls behind the play. The linesman should always remain in line with the last defender (assuming goalie is back), to stand on the offside line. The linesman should always know when a player is offside, and note when the pass is made. Usually, you listen for the sound on a longball, seeing it out of the corner of your eye, while looking down the line. As a player, it's easier to track the linesman to stay onside rather than defenders, so I would stay behind the linesman, but if they don't stay in position, you are fucked. I want to teach my team this trick, but the linesmen aren't relably in position enough, and I don' want to confuse them more, than be upset when they are behind the linesman but flagged offide.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ok...since you brought up the offside rule, I've got a question:

I was watching highlights from the ManU-Everton game this past weekend, and on Everton's 3rd goal, the announcer said that De Gea was upset because it should have been called offside because "he was screened by an attacking player in an offside position".

Is that really the rule? I'm no expert, but I don't think I've ever heard that before.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm "a big time novice", but I thought the rule involved either a touch or "being involved in the play". Screen would count?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:01 pm I'm "a big time novice", but I thought the rule involved either a touch or "being involved in the play". Screen would count?
Yes, if a player is blocking the goalie's view, that is considered "in the play." Same with dummying the ball, or blocking a defender from making a play.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:42 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:01 pm I'm "a big time ...
...dummy...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Man - I need a drink for this game.

Maybe at the half.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:28 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:42 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:01 pm I'm "a big time ...
...dummy...
Wow, crap, I missed this one. Harsh.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Burn
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jesus.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shocked, and happy, that he pulled himself off the field.