Jeeves still won't use Mayflower--Indianapolis

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Jeeves still won't use Mayflower--Indianapolis

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Have a conference Sunday-Wed. Not sure how much time I really will have but any suggestions?
So far I have found IUPU v. SIUE in Men's Soccer
Staying right across from Victory Field (minor league baseball season is over)
Indy Eleven are not playing
Pacers preseason starts day after I leave
The Fuel (ECHL) don't play until 2 days after I leave
Colts are home but not sure I can sneak over to the game and...the Irsay family.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: Jeeves still won't use Mayflower--Indianapolis

Post by GoodKarma »

If you're a beer guy and either have a car or don't mind Ubering I got two places: Sun King Brewing and Daredevil Brewing. Sun King is on the eastern edge of downtown and Daredevil is right next to the Indy Speedway (which itself is pretty cool to see). You might be able to walk to Sun King if you don't mind doing that sort of thing.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

You can set aside the records whenever Indiana University Purdue University-Indianapolis and Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville get together. The greatest rivalry in all of sports.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

NCAA Hall of Champions should be near your hotel.
The Indiana State Museum
You could get a tour of the state house. We always stop by when we stay downtown.
Pop Fizz for candy and soda fix. It is on the circle where you can view the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.
Soldiers and Sailors Monument has a Civil War museum underneath it. Not sure if the top of the statue is open at this time.
Mass Ave has plenty to offer.
Banker's Life is a really cool facility. Not sure if you could get a tour.
The Speedway is a site to see. Hit up the museum if you like motor sports.

Not sure about food/drink stuff. Hopefully BSF will chime in.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Watch out for potholes.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

If it's within your budget, St. Elmo's steakhouse is a local institution and great food.
What am I, 12?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:47 am If it's within your budget, St. Elmo's steakhouse is a local institution and great food.
I have heard hit or miss with this. Some claim the famous shrimp cocktail is overrated. On the other hand this was from someone who was there during the Super Bowl. Could imagine it was a bit busy.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:47 am If it's within your budget, St. Elmo's steakhouse is a local institution and great food.
I have heard hit or miss with this. Some claim the famous shrimp cocktail is overrated. On the other hand this was from someone who was there during the Super Bowl. Could imagine it was a bit busy.
Yeah, to a bunch of midwesterners the shrimp cocktail is probably the best thing ever. But if you're used to good shrimp or seafood it might just be meh. I don't like shrimp so I wasn't basing on that...I was thinking for for steak, location, ambiance and the fact that it's local. The ownership group (along with their sister places - Harry & Izzy's) were customers of mine from my restaurant supply days back in Ohio. They are good people.
What am I, 12?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:29 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:21 pm
Yeah, to a bunch of midwesterners the shrimp cocktail is probably the best thing ever. But if you're used to good shrimp or seafood it might just be meh. I don't like shrimp so I wasn't basing on that...I was thinking for for steak, location, ambiance and the fact that it's local. The ownership group (along with their sister places - Harry & Izzy's) were customers of mine from my restaurant supply days back in Ohio. They are good people.
I think the rage is for the cocktail sauce more than the shrimp. And yes, the steaks are very good.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Hang with BSF is always a good option. I'm flying home today and I'll respond in detail tomorrow when I'm back in the office with some suggestions.

Bummer the Fuel don't drop until after you leave. Our season tix are great.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

He should wear an Opus shirt just so you know its him.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:29 pm He should wear an Opus shirt just so you know its him.
of something with a misspelling.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Wlu -- PM me or post up what you're interested in while you're here and I'll get to typing.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

duff wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 am NCAA Hall of Champions should be near your hotel.
They have about 30 years worth of the 'One Shining Moment' videos that you can watch. It took me about 3 before I decided I never wanted to hear that song again.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

OK here's a non exhaustive list about the best motherfucking things in and around Indy.

Some things to note. It's a walking city. Most of downtown is very safe. Don't go too far south of South Street late. Uber/Lyft are very inexpensive here. Take advantage of those.

- Nicer Joints: St Elmo's/Harry and Izzys (Absolutely worth the money if you want to spend it. Best steakhouse in town and I've been to a bunch of them. Get the Shrimp Cocktail, even if it's just for the experience. If you're solo, Harry and Izzy's is probably better. With others, go for Elmo's.) -- Nada (Excellent High End Latin, great drinks) -- The Oceanaire (High end seafood, flown in daily) -- Vida (Haven't eaten here yet, get's rave reviews) -- Rook (Really awesome Asian joint. Pho, Rice Bowls, Buns, Whole Salt Fish.) -- Napolese (Artisinal Pizza. Pricey for pizza but good) -- Festiva (Another Latin place and currently Meg and I's favorite place to eat. Small menu, everything done very high end. If they have the soft shell crab tostada on that day, you must purchase it.)

- Casuals Eats: Scotty's Brewhouse (bunch of locations, the one downtown is on Pennsylvania. Great beer selection, some of their own stuff they brew in Broadripple. Food can be hit or miss, but stick to wings and burgers and sammys and you're gold) -- Fat Dan's Deli (This guy is my go to. They've opened a location on Mass Ave downtown, though I'm partial to the one up north at 54th/College Ave where we're regulars. Smoked Wings are the best in the city. Don't sauce em but get hot bbq on the side. All the smoked meats are good, I'm partial to the dirty tots (tater tots, pulled pork, cheese, blow your top off hot sauce. Kinda like a badass poutine. Get the fries, and get a small. They've got a very Five Guys philosophy with fries where a small is enough to feed a small family.) -- Ralston's Drafthouse/Bakersfield/The Eagle/Bru Burger/Mimi Blue Meatballs/Bazbeauxs (All situated along Mass Ave, all nice enough to mention and casual enough that no one is going to look at you wear for sitting down in jeans/tshirt/ballcap. I'm partial to Bakersfield, which is a regional chain but has killer tacos) -- Goose The Market (Small artisan butcher that makes a killer sandwich. Central State Brewing's taproom, The Kolshchip, is right next door)

- DRANK: Breweries within a walk/short Uber worth checking out: Sun King Downtown, Triton (out on the east side), Bier (North a bit, but a nice spot), TwoDEEP Brewing (I got married here in June, so I'm a little partial to this joint.), Centerpoint (in a repurposed industrial lot, good beer and pinball), Indiana City Brewing (Home to my favorite Pale Ale in the city and in an old bottling storehouse operational since the late 1800s, well worth a stop), Black Acre (In a gentrified historic district), Central State (never been but had a ton of their beer and it's all solid), Daredevil (In Speedway a quater mile from the track. The beer is great, the taproom is nothing special. Get their beer on tap somewhere else.) Flat 12 (not too far from Centerpoint if you're bouncing) Not a brewery, but the Slippery Noodle Inn is a must see. Live blues, old as shit dive. Local institution.

-- Shit to doooo: Indianapolis Zoo (Nice enough, nothing groundbreaking) -- Indiana State Museum (I'm told it's nice) -- The Eiteljorg (Also nice) -- NCAA Hall of Champions (Take a guess) -- Indiana State Medical Museum (I've heard this place is pretty off the wall and worth the trip if you're into that stuff) -- Newfields (Formerly the Indianapolis Museum of Art. I'm not an art guy, IDK. It's close to my house) -- Indianapolis Cultural Trail (A nice walking path going by several historic parts of the city. Plenty to eat and drink along the way. You can grab a bike from the Pacer's Bikeshare or one of the most annoying scooters on the planet or just walk at your leisure) -- Washington Park Disc Golf Course (Nevermind, that's just a place I like) -- Canal Walk (downtown, very scenic, you can rent a paddleboat if you're into that) -- Tapper's Arcade Bar (Right next to Rook on Virginia Ave and just northeast of Fountain Square. A free-to-play arcade bar with the exception of the pinball machines. Great beer/cocktail list and a super fun nerdy place to hang out) -- Action Lanes (Duckpin motherfuckin' bowling baby. Call ahead.) -- The Lawn at White River State Park (Right across from your hotel, not sure if the concert season is over but you could check to see if anyone is playing)

Neighboorhoods: Fountain Square (I guess this could be it's own section. I don't get over here much but there's a ton to do. Great restaurants, couple breweries, lots of live music venues, too many hipsters to count. It's a bit of a younger area for my taste, but you wouldn't be out of place and it's worth a jog over.) -- Broadripple (College Bar district with some nicer places thrown in. A great place in the afternoon/evening but a place I don't like to be after midnight as it tends to skew very young and dumb. If you go to this area SoBro is where the more mature establishments and shops have migrated.) -- Eagle Creek Reservoir (Tons of hiking and boating and whatnot right in the city. Lots of trails and about the only place in central IN with hills except for...) -- Fort Ben Harrison (On the absolute other side of town. Historic military fort. Triton Brewing located out here. Phenomenal golf course.)

If I think of more stuff I'll edit this. Hopefully enough to get you started on where you want to go.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Gold star to you fine sir. This is great. I am at the JW Marriott across from the Victory Field. Looks like I will only have time in the evenings on Sunday, Monday, and Wed (Tuesday the conference has a charity bags tournament).