2018 MLB Awards

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

2018 MLB Awards

Post by mister d »

AL MVP: Trout (OBP + isoP advantage over Betts, + CF > RF, not that Betts couldn't handle CF)
NL MVP: Yelich
AL Cy Young: I don't know ... you could convince me of any of Sale, Verlander or Snell ... I'll lean Snell?
NL Cy Young: deGrom
AL RoY: Ohtani (Andujar over Torres, Torres will be the best of the three long term)
NL RoY: Acuna and Soto should split
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Re: 2018 MLB Awards

Post by BSF21 »

I was going to kill you over the Betts thing but I looked. They're closer than I realize. I still think it goes to Betts for team performance and that disparity in BA. But there's more of an argument than I initially realized.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I still think WAR doesn't quite reflect positionality like it should, but I wouldn't think its a big deal if voters went the other way. There are a lot of tossups here, like pretty much every award that isn't NL Cy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I got Yelich at +333 in September and have Snell at +450
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

MVPs: Betts; Yelich
CYs: Snell; deGrom (Snell has enough innings that I'm comfortable with him winning over Verlander)
ROYs: Ohtani; Acuna
MOYs: Cash; Counsell (I will be pretty annoyed when Cora wins this over Cash given how innovative Tampa's pitching strategies have been)

I'll throw my postseason prediction here, too. I see a lot of similarities to last year:

Yankees over A's (7-2)
Cubs over Rockies (6-3)

Yankees over Sox (3-1)
Astros over Indians (3-0)
Cubs over Brewers (3-2)
Dodgers over Braves (3-0)

Astros over Yankees (4-2)
Dodgers over Cubs (4-2)

Astros over Dodgers (4-2)

WS MVP: Correa
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don’t have a problem with Verlander not winning it but that’s two slam dunk Cys in his career and two other years where he probably was a 1B at worst. Kind of an amazing career in a lot of ways.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I like the way you think, Joe K, but that's a huge turnaround for Correa who's been relatively awful since his injury.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:16 pm I don’t have a problem with Verlander not winning it but that’s two slam dunk Cys in his career and two other years where he probably was a 1B at worst. Kind of an amazing career in a lot of ways.
I mean, he's almost unquestionably a hall of famer and no worse than the third best pitcher of the past 12 years, right?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 am I like the way you think, Joe K, but that's a huge turnaround for Correa who's been relatively awful since his injury.
Honestly I just picked an Astro at random. But I do think they’re the most complete team and have the potential to be even better than last year since they’ve stabilized their bullpen.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

OAK over NYY
CHC over COL

BOS over OAK
CLE over HOU
CHC over MIL
ATL over LAD

CLE over BOS
CHC over ATL

CLE over CHC