Hurricane Michael

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Hurricane Michael

Post by Gunpowder »

Kind of surprising that there hasn't been all that much coverage of this hurricane relative to its strength - this thing is possibly going to be one of the 5 strongest hurricanes to ever hit the US mainland in a few minutes or so.
Last edited by Gunpowder on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Hurricane Michael

Post by L-Jam3 »

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sustained 150 MPH and gusts up to 178 MPH. The Gulf recharged this thing as only it can do. Oof.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gonna put a real dent in the crystal meth market for the entire Southeast due to supply chain disruption.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

My inlaws are north of Fort Walton Beach. Luckily the storm ended up pretty far east of them. They've had a lot of rain but not much else.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:57 am Kind of surprising that there hasn't been all that much coverage of this hurricane relative to its strength - this thing is possibly going to be one of the 5 strongest hurricanes to ever hit the US mainland in a few minutes or so.
Yeah, I think it's because it happened so fast. Just three days ago this thing was still in the "Potential Tropical Cyclone" category. It's amazing how quickly it got this powerful. At least it's moving quickly, so there shouldn't be the flooding damage of Florence. But there will be a LOT more wind damage.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Kinda eerie. I was checking out some of the hourly observations on various Panhandle Weather Service locations. The site for Panama City stopped reporting at about 11am yesterday. They still have a big warning about what Michael is “forecast” to do.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Mexico Beach, FL looks like it got crushed. And the first thing that went to my head is will Trump realized Mexico Beach is in the US.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm Mexico Beach, FL looks like it got crushed. And the first thing that went to my head is will Trump realized Mexico Beach is in the US.
Well, Omaha and Utah Beach aren't. It's all so confusing.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm Mexico Beach, FL looks like it got crushed. And the first thing that went to my head is will Trump realized Mexico Beach is in the US.
I'd be more on board with a huge wall closing in the the Panhandle than I am Mexico.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

ONe building moved to a new location across the street

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tyndall AFB got absolutely smashed. I wonder if it will end up the way Homestead AFB (now an Air Reserve Base) did.

Edit:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 pm Tyndall AFB got absolutely smashed. I wonder if it will end up the way Homestead AFB (now an Air Reserve Base) did.

Edit:

ppsssttt..It says "not for broadcast"
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

CLASSIFIED
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Spent a really nice week down in the 3OA/Walton County area for spring break last year. I was really struck by how new those communities were. Sweatshirts with Rosemary Beach - Est. 1996 (making that up, but general idea.) Looks like those places building to code helped them avoid the worst of the damage.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 pm Tyndall AFB got absolutely smashed. I wonder if it will end up the way Homestead AFB (now an Air Reserve Base) did.

Edit:

The weather site there still isn't reporting, and hasn't since about noon on Wednesday.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If that's not supposed to be shared maybe a moderator should delete?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's a video watermark preventing news outlets from ripping it off without attribution and/or compensation. The tipoff is the licensing bug at the bottom.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.